Archived Why Are No Good Seasonals Hard To Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started as seasonal four years ago. Seems like my store NEVER fires anyone unless they do something really stupid (like stealing, being willfully awful or attacking a guest). I know that I could work here for the rest of my life. This excites and terrifies me :D

But I know I'll walk out one day, in the middle of a shift. And they won't know what hit them because no one in the store has my number or is friends with me on Facebook lol

So, they decided to let a new salesfloor TM do the ad in domestics today. She was only trained in push/pulls. She's pretty good at that in toys where I trained her to do it. But, hey she was there at 6 am, so let's reassign her to do this. She left at 2. She did not finish. On the one hand, damn! What the hell was she doing all day? On the other hand, she's 17 and working her first ever job. Not right to toss her into a new role in an unfamiliar department with no training and no lead checking on her all day. That's bullshit and it's not all her fault she didn't finish under those circumstances. Should have left her doing what I told her to do when she walked in and asked me: work these carts of abandons the closers left for us in the aisles and I could have worked out the domestics ad after I finished the toys ad. It would have been done a lot faster and the new TM wouldn't have been set up to fail.

I personally think that they give them lots of hours to see if there going to actually work and not call out! They would be lucky if they get kept but most of them won’t be kept you will see! Time tells everything and they will notice who gets stuff and works hard!

I’ll take 1 veteran over 3 noobs, with very few exceptions. More gets done, less drama, less exhausting from ‘doing for them’ and less complaining (from both sides). Our seasonal hires spend their entire shift looking at their phones, half their shift shopping and the other half in the break room

How is eating up hours and doing nothing helpful ?

I thought that during the probationary period they could get rid of anybody for any reason. Since the period is 90 days (which is about what seasonals work) why not just get rid of them. Yes they make less but Target's return on investment for veterans is exceedingly more.
You have to have a paper trace. Any and all conversations need to be documented to move forward with a termination. If your lead or leader doesn’t document them on workday it’s hard for HR to justify the term especially if the TM files for unemployment and opens a claim with the state because then we have to show them and tell why we let you go. Theft is easy but performance and reliability are harder of people don’t type up their conversations.

We hired so many minors this year as seasonal that I’ve lost count! We actually had 6 minors working yesterday morning! That’s 6 people who needed overrides for alcohol purchases! I was so busy that there was barely time to do anything else. Not to mention the two adult TM openers who called out. we were scrambling to keep the line down at guest service, have SCO covered by someone who was actually trained, and have enough cashiers to ring people. Thankfully by 11am we had some adult TMs so I had one float around to help with alcohol overrides but dang that was the roughest morning in a long time! Whoever is handling our scheduling needs to pay attention to scheduling that many minors at once because it was miserable for everyone!

We hired so many minors this year as seasonal that I’ve lost count! We actually had 6 minors working yesterday morning! That’s 6 people who needed overrides for alcohol purchases! I was so busy that there was barely time to do anything else. Not to mention the two adult TM openers who called out. we were scrambling to keep the line down at guest service, have SCO covered by someone who was actually trained, and have enough cashiers to ring people. Thankfully by 11am we had some adult TMs so I had one float around to help with alcohol overrides but dang that was the roughest morning in a long time! Whoever is handling our scheduling needs to pay attention to scheduling that many minors at once because it was miserable for everyone!
Same goes for closing shifts: makes the last 15 minutes of the night unbearable for both tm and guests when all the minors scheduled have to leave before the store is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back