Archived Why Are No Good Seasonals Hard To Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
We have so many minors who just sit around and talk about which highschool has the girls with bigger butts. Entire store can be hauling ass but, then you see that group. That group who have a full 40hr week that were hired 2 weeks ago while everyone else who hauls ass get 25 to 30 hour weeks. Is this a Target thing? Do they not term when they haven't met their required seasonal hires yet? It blows my damn mind. It's not only the minors too, there are other hires who are well into their 20s or 30s who act like lifting a box of Enfamil formula is like asking them to lift a car. Training these people feel like we wasted so much time. Sorry for the rage.

We have so many minors who just sit around and talk about which highschool has the girls with bigger butts. Entire store can be hauling ass but, then you see that group. That group who have a full 40hr week that were hired 2 weeks ago while everyone else who hauls ass get 25 to 30 hour weeks. Is this a Target thing? Do they not term when they haven't met their required seasonal hires yet? It blows my damn mind. It's not only the minors too, there are other hires who are well into their 20s or 30s who act like lifting a box of Enfamil formula is like asking them to lift a car. Training these people feel like we wasted so much time. Sorry for the rage.
Less pay that’s why. It’s easier to give 40h to a member who makes 12$ an hour, than to give 40 h a werk to a veteran member at 14-15$

From previous experience hiring/firing people (albeit not at Spot), you have to document, document, document! And if the TL isn't clearly aware of the problems, there's no documented conversation (CCA) and it's difficult to justify termination out of the blue.

This one falls on leadership. It's their job to lead the team and catch these things.

I thought that during the probationary period they could get rid of anybody for any reason. Since the period is 90 days (which is about what seasonals work) why not just get rid of them. Yes they make less but Target's return on investment for veterans is exceedingly more.

From previous experience hiring/firing people (albeit not at Spot), you have to document, document, document! And if the TL isn't clearly aware of the problems, there's no documented conversation (CCA) and it's difficult to justify termination out of the blue.

This one falls on leadership. It's their job to lead the team and catch these things.
If they are seasonal I don’t need to document after 90 days I tell them we don’t need their help.

Less pay that’s why. It’s easier to give 40h to a member who makes 12$ an hour, than to give 40 h a werk to a veteran member at 14-15$
At the store level we don’t incur wage expenses. We are given X amount of payroll hours. They can be used however and by whoever. A TM working an hour is the same as a TL working that same hour when it comes to payroll so I think it’s more about how leaders are allocating the hours

I thought that during the probationary period they could get rid of anybody for any reason. Since the period is 90 days (which is about what seasonals work) why not just get rid of them. Yes they make less but Target's return on investment for veterans is exceedingly more.
I sometimes feel it's a laziness component. They'd have to interview again and I guess some leaders figure, "meh, just let them go 90 days."

If they are seasonal I don’t need to document after 90 days I tell them we don’t need their help.
Other than Target, I haven't worked for a company with a probationary period. I forgot about that here. True.

Seasonal hires are 120 days and they should be told that when they’re hired

where do you live that minors can only work 4 hours? because that's not a federal law or Target policy
CA labor laws don’t allow minors to work more than 4 h just like they don’t allow to work past 9:30pm

CA labor laws don’t allow minors to work more than 4 h just like they don’t allow to work past 9:30pm
I think my state is nearly the same. There's a total daily limit on the number of hours a minor can spend at both school and work, end of work must be before a certain time.

We have so many minors who just sit around and talk about which highschool has the girls with bigger butts. Entire store can be hauling ass but, then you see that group. That group who have a full 40hr week that were hired 2 weeks ago while everyone else who hauls ass get 25 to 30 hour weeks. Is this a Target thing?

It is actually not a Target thing. This is just how your store's schedule writer(s) wrote the schedule.

What spotlife said about payroll hours is accurate:​
At the store level we don’t incur wage expenses. We are given X amount of payroll hours. They can be used however and by whoever. A TM working an hour is the same as a TL working that same hour when it comes to payroll so I think it’s more about how leaders are allocating the hours

How many hours that minors get depends on a store's location as well. Like others have mentioned, there are certain states with laws that limit minors' working hours when school is in session. For example, California limits minors to working no more than 4 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on weekends; minors will usually get shifts that only last 3.5 hours or 7.5 hours.

Do they not term when they haven't met their required seasonal hires yet?

Seasonal hires can be kept for up to 165 days so leaders feel no rush to term them. Also, leaders are mainly looking for "bodies" (this is the word that leaders used, not me) during seasonal hiring, so they are unlikely to term anyone who is mediocre until January. Seasonal TMs will need to do something terrible (e.g. stealing things, hitting someone, missing shifts, etc) to get termed earlier.

Last edited:
that doesn't matter at the store level. one hour is one hour, no matter if you're making 12 or 20.
Yes, and no. For payroll, an hour is an hour. If you get 1000 hours to spend, you can spend them without regard to pay rate. But, higher wages eat away at profit on the store level. STLs want to be as profitable as possible, of course, so. . . .

I think my state is nearly the same. There's a total daily limit on the number of hours a minor can spend at both school and work, end of work must be before a certain time.
I was a minor when I got hired and in my state, minors here are able to work 27 hours per week and no more than 8 hour shifts. My store closes at 11pm but minors have to leave by state law before 10pm but Target says 9:45 to leave some leeway just incase.

OP: At my store, I noticed many nonseasonal minors who attend high school end up quitting or getting fired because they realize they can't balance school and work life. I don't think our store has any seasonal minors at the moment, just college aged and older seasonal TMs! If the minors at your store aren't meeting expectations now and just talking rather than getting tasks done, when fourth quarter comes around the TLs will notice their inadequacy and might let them know they won't need them come next season.

I don't think it's that minors can't balance school and work...it's that they don't want to. Friday rolls around and there is a party or some social event and they'd rather be there than ringing up guests at Target. We have some really dedicated, responsible minors and then some who want the cash but don't realize the whole concept of "work" that goes along with it.

Last year quite a few of the shitty seasonals survived the post-Christmas purge only because we were exceptionally shorthanded, but it all worked out in the end because they ended up quitting anyway. I expect it'll be the same this year too, but it's still annoying because they could always hire fewer seasonals and kick the cash they save over to me instead.

One of last year's seasonals who stayed on (a minor!) turned out to be great and I'm actually looking forward to working with him again after school lets out. He says his parents originally forced him get a job with threats to take away his PS4 if he didn't, but he realized pretty quick that getting that bread is awesome and started taking as many extra hours as the man and his school schedule would allow. Lol.

It is actually not a Target thing. This is just how your store's schedule writer(s) wrote the schedule.

What spotlife said about payroll hours is accurate:​

How many hours that minors get depends on a store's location as well. Like others have mentioned, there are certain states with laws that limit minors' working hours when school is in session. For example, California limits minors to working no more than 4 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on weekends; minors will usually get shifts that only last 3.5 hours or 7.5 hours.

Seasonal hires can be kept for up to 165 days so leaders feel no rush to term them. Also, leaders are mainly looking for "bodies" (this is what leaders say) during seasonal hiring, so they are unlikely to term anyone who is mediocre until January. Seasonal TMs will need to do something terrible (e.g. stealing things, hitting someone, NCNS, etc) to get termed earlier.

What do you mean “looking for bodies?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back