Archived Why aren't team members putting in coupons right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear every time a team member takes off a $3 max value coupon for an item thats like 1.29, I get sick. Why isn't anyone telling any of the team members how to properly key in the coupon?
For example, if someone has a buy one get one free disposable razor coupon for like max value of $5.99 and the razor is $3.49, they don't actually key it in nor do they actually write the product amount in the box. It irks me because no one has obviously told anyone how to do it. This is the thing scammers look for. Is this supposed to be done or am I just being a prick?

Well... i figured out how to do the coupons on my own. I wasn't taught... in fact, I taught one of my GSAs how to do it....

That might explain part of the problem.

Or then there is the GSTL that didn't know he needed to be giving AP the "stolen" items - aka, the packages of empty stuff. Or the stuff that was found intact. I mentioned it to him when I was going to give him something to give to the AP guy. Alas, AP was there that night and I told him what was going on.... he was irked.

Yeah, it irks me when other cashiers hit k1 all the time. k1 this, k1 that. Not only do the scammers look for these cashiers, but they tell their friends about it. Some people will try to justify it as "overage" on a coupon and claim it can be used to buy other products - the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

My understanding with the coupons that are "higher" than what target charges doesn't matter because the store gets reimbursed for the full total that the coupon allows. So while the item is $2.99 and the coupon takes "up to $5.99" the $5.99 comes off, but Target will get the $5.99 back.

Why did they change the ID for alcohol...in that if we put in the birthday date we no longer need to have a supervisor come over? Isn't this just the same as it was before when we just had to say "if the guest looks over 40"? How does this help?

You're right that the store still gets reimbursed for it, but then people would be coming in buying hundreds of trial sized / products with overage if we just let them get away with whatever. Then manufacturer loses more money than they have to and the price would probably just be pushed down to honest consumers. Besides, inappropriately using coupons is still fraud.

i've only seen this problem at stores where TL's or GSAs don't communicate proper coupon handling to the cashiers. i know in my area, many of the cashiers are college students who aren't going to care about a coupon's value at their $8.25, 4 hour shift job at target. k1. it varies and requires a supervisor that cares enough to know their cashiers and how to communicate to an individual for success.

It's not in the public coupon policy on Target's website, but I could have SWORN in the version that's on workbench it says that overages are just applied to the rest of the purchase. I may be totally wrong and remembering that incorrectly. I'll have to look that up again when I have a spare moment!

Then manufacturer loses more money than they have to and the price would probably just be pushed down to honest consumers. Besides, inappropriately using coupons is still fraud.

I read a story, saying, there we're over 300 Billion Dollars Worth of Coupons distributed last year. However, Less than 2 Billion Dollars worth of them were ever redeemed. I highly doubt, the manufacturers are going to push down the cost, of already, calculated losses onto to Consumers.

However, I do wanna make a point in saying this. We're supposed to be enforcing, "Reasonable Household Limits", so Guests can't clear shelves, and buy hundreds of stupid trial sizes. Anyone who brings more than 4 items up, of the same item, needs to questioned.

Not only do the scammers look for these cashiers, but they tell their friends about it.
Oh goodie - less people in my line!!!! YAHOOO!!!!!!

(I have TMs - cashiers - that won't coupon with me because I do it right.... sorry, you aren't getting $5 off a $2 item!)

It's not in the public coupon policy on Target's website, but I could have SWORN in the version that's on workbench it says that overages are just applied to the rest of the purchase. I may be totally wrong and remembering that incorrectly. I'll have to look that up again when I have a spare moment!

It is, the team members who are saying to adjust the coupons are in fact at fault here. If the coupon automatically overrides to a certain total you are NOT to adjust it down because Target is reimbursed for the full value of the coupon.

In my case, these are coupons that come up with, "Item not in purchase, accept anyway."

So you are saying i'm supposed to accept it anyway, and let it default to the higher amount?

Not going to happen (and my AP guy backs up me up on my procedure). I will verify they have the right item, the coupon isn't expired, note the $$ and then use the "whatever keys it is" to do a manufactures coupon for the correct amount. (note this is mainly on the "get something FREE" items).

if the register is in the mode of "item isn't in there" - then aren't I falsely accepting them??

If the register were to automatically take $5 off when it was scanned, I wouldn't change it - I never do. But the ones we have to write the price in, and have kicked back not in the purchase.... I'll keep doing what I've been doing. AP will back me up, and I've had no front end training to do otherwise.

It is, the team members who are saying to adjust the coupons are in fact at fault here. If the coupon automatically overrides to a certain total you are NOT to adjust it down because Target is reimbursed for the full value of the coupon.

That is not the type of adjustments I was talking about - and didn't think anyone was talking about..... as I stated in my other reply that didn't quote correctly. I make no changes to anything automatically entered when scanned.

Coupons cannot exceed the value of the item. Giving a guest $5 off a $3 item is the same as giving them cash back, a trick that coupon scammers go for.

Coupons cannot exceed the value of the item. Giving a guest $5 off a $3 item is the same as giving them cash back, a trick that coupon scammers go for.

Actually yes it can. If the coupon scans for an amount higher than the product's purchase price the consumer is entitled to overage. This doesn't happen often, but it does occur.

As for the OP, in the instance of manually overriding you are correct. I took it as coupons that were scanning higher being adjusted down. Ones that have to be overridden should be adjusted to the purchase price of the "free item."

Actually yes it can. If the coupon scans for an amount higher than the product's purchase price the consumer is entitled to overage. This doesn't happen often, but it does occur.

As for the OP, in the instance of manually overriding you are correct. I took it as coupons that were scanning higher being adjusted down. Ones that have to be overridden should be adjusted to the purchase price of the "free item."

So what you are saying is that the coupon policy on Spot's website is wrong when it says, "coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied" and that is not the official policy?

Next to the registers in my store, there is actually a paper taped there that says "Cashiers should scale down coupons if need be"

So what you are saying is that the coupon policy on Spot's website is wrong when it says, "coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied" and that is not the official policy?

Just like items returned must be new and unused right?

Huh? You are the one asserting that we are all wrong for adjusting coupons down, "according to Target policy." So I asked you a simple question regarding Target policy, quoting from the website. If you have a different corporate policy, please show us. Otherwise, it is not "target policy" but instead "Dude Abides policy," which is absolutely fine, but please don't pass it off as "Target policy" and tell people they are doing it wrong for not following how you/your store deviate from policy.

Next time you are at work, go look at your coupon policy you have printed out. It has a line in there about never altering the price of manufacturer's coupons. Not to mention we've had communication in the past given to our Cash Office from higher up telling us to never lower the value of a coupon manually if it scans in correctly. Target is reimbursed for the scanned value, so to lower it's value would be committing coupon fraud on our part.

Also, never quote the policy given to guests as a way saying what Target policy is. For years now our actual Best Practice has wildly deviated from the public posted policy. Especially in recent years with Vibe and Be Bold the communications passed down from corporate vary significantly from what is told to the consumers.

Well coupon fraud has essentially gone way up in my store because of Target's "hey-let's-bend-over-backwards-so-guests-will-forget-all-about-this" campaign.

Dude Abides, that's why I asked you straight up the first time. Our only printed coupon policy is what's on the website.

And PTS, I'm about to that point as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back