Archived why do etl's have short time spans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
today i found out out etl-ap is planning to leave our store to transfer to a new one. it saddens me because he's a great etl and him and i have gotten closer lately. anyways, he's been at our target for almost 4 years now but i hear that etl's usually switch out every 2-3 years, i was wondering why is that?

Typical ETL rotations are 18 months. However some end up staying in the same role and same store much longer. Most move to different positions because they want to move up in the company. ETLs in my district aren't even considered for STL until they complete two different rotations.

I haven't had an ETL or STL transfer out in the few years I've been working here. Had one quit and one get fired.

Typical ETL rotations are 18 months. However some end up staying in the same role and same store much longer. Most move to different positions because they want to move up in the company. ETLs in my district aren't even considered for STL until they complete two different rotations.

our ETL LOG wants to be a STL. previously they were a GS ETL.
the first year they road on the coat tails of the previous guys work.
the second year they didnt get a bonus because they were too red. treats concerned TMs like disgruntled guests. works 4 days a week. only works with POG. thinks LOCU is the key factor to keeping the backroom green.
conclusion: we need this MOFO rotated out immediately!

our ETL LOG wants to be a STL. previously they were a GS ETL.
the first year they road on the coat tails of the previous guys work.
the second year they didnt get a bonus because they were too red. treats concerned TMs like disgruntled guests. works 4 days a week. only works with POG. thinks LOCU is the key factor to keeping the backroom green.
conclusion: we need this MOFO rotated out immediately!
I mean locu is the lazy man's way to getting green. But obviously if you're doing it a lot there's a much bigger problem.

aaf_shifty.gif

today i found out out etl-ap is planning to leave our store to transfer to a new one. it saddens me because he's a great etl and him and i have gotten closer lately. anyways, he's been at our target for almost 4 years now but i hear that etl's usually switch out every 2-3 years, i was wondering why is that?
Target wants ETLs to be well versed in all parts Store operations. Two reasons I can think of for this
1) Creates a good pool of potential future STLs
2) ETLs are normally straight outta college without any retail experience, so they need the more training of different store operations, unlike someone who cross trains in many departments.

In reality (my opinion here) all it does it make ETLs suck at every department and not specialize in anything. TLs still actually run the store imho and all the ETLs do is fucking eat lunch and gossip. But hey, they have that magic degree though, so we need them!

Seriously, my store has these damned "ETL Lunch meetings" everyday that last about 3 hours a time. All I hear is laughing from the "conference room" while everyone else is busting their ass.

Definitely not the case in my store. ETL HR was an intern, and is by far the youngest, but we are her second store, and she does a great job. Both of our other ETLs started as TMs and work at least as hard as anyone. Only one of the 2 has a degree.

Lol this is what I thought this thread was about. Snapchat is the distraction of choice at my store.

Our oldest ETL is the hardest worker.

Our store is the same with the younger ETLs chatting and the eldest ETL working. I do know periodically texting is work related but we are talking about 10%, not 90%, of the time. If the ETLs don't give a crap and are texting away, then don't expect your employees to give a crap either about your store. Based upon comments here, this apparently is common at stores in Target. This is 100% the fault of a STL as they should place a stop to letting ETLs text/social network on the clock. If a TM did this, they would be coached out the door.

Out of all the ETLs who have come and gone at my store I think only two left the store by transferring. The rest quit.

We had a complete overhaul on all our ETLs around October/November of 2015 including the STL. I know one of them is still in the city but I believe everyone else quit and went in other directions.

Its honestly a bitter sweet system. As someone who likes to stay in the stores and make improvements, I get annoyed that every 1-3 years I get moved out of my departments (usually right as they are getting really really good and easy to maintain). I also get annoyed when great ETLs move around right as the group dynamic is firing on all cylinders. However, when I have a jerk ETL peer, it is very nice to know that neither of us is going to have to work together forever and I just have to deal with them for a single rotation.

me too, it's like once everyone has gotten used to them and binds have been built, they leave and it sucks. we got a new ETL-HR and im already annoyed by her.

Yeah in theory I get it. No one gets comfortable that way. Whenever you get new leadership you work hard all over again to earn their respect but I personally always believed consistency is the way to drive great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back