Archived Why Do I Love Being A CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartman

MasterBlaster (User has passed away)
Like ya'll don't know!

aaf_wink.gif

I honestly have no idea why anyone would like being a CA anywhere, but if it makes you happy, that's great!

I wouldn't mind being able to work outside. Unless it's recently snowed/iced or it's currently sprinkling. Otherwise, I'd be down.

I love to do carts. It is my favorite job. I don't care how hot, cold, wet, or dry it is outside. I'm getting paid to workout.

I was a Loader (Lowes version of CA) during my summers while in college. Not a bad gig and I didn't have to clean bathrooms. Just push carts, backup cashiers, and help people load crap into their cars. Loved being outside all day.

I loved it at 2 of my 3 stores. I even got Team Hero being a CA.

But the my Super was ridiculous. With all the extra duties that CAs had to do, there was no time to get carts.
-get carts using 2 slower than hell cart machines (steering wheel version) for a dual entry store in either blizzards or scorching summers
-baskets evenly distrubuted throughout the store
-zone oneSpot and lanes
-fill soda coolers
-monitor every trash can on the floor and out front
-hourly restroom checks
-monitor the Can-Do machines (bottle/can recycling machine). This takes up half the shift.
-mop the Can-Do room floors when needed
-troubleshoot and clean the Can-Do machines
-stock the paper for registry machines
-crush all the breakroom bottles/cans
-take back defectives
-empty the lane's hanger bins and push/stack the hanger boxes
-push food orders up to FA/SB/deli
-dump the FA/deli grease
-check the spill stations multiple times a day
-stock bags
-fill and check chemical bottles for every lane/SD
-clean up every reported spill in the store
-backroom/salesfloor would line all the carts they used at the backroom doors, and those have to be pushed up to the front wells.

You could be on lunch, and they would call for you to clean up a spill when you come back on the clock.

Last edited:
I loved it at 2 of my 3 stores. I even got Team Hero being a CA.

But the my Super was ridiculous. With all the extra duties that CAs had to do, there was no time to get carts.
-get carts using 2 slower than hell cart machines (steering wheel version) for a dual entry store in either blizzards or scorching summers
-baskets evenly distrubuted throughout the store
-zone oneSpot and lanes
-fill soda coolers
-monitor every trash can on the floor and out front
-hourly restroom checks
-monitor the Can-Do machines (bottle/can recycling machine). This takes up half the shift.
-mop the Can-Do room floors when needed
-troubleshoot and clean the Can-Do machines
-stock the paper for registry machines
-crush all the breakroom bottles/cans
-take back defectives
-empty the lane's hanger bins and push/stack the hanger boxes
-push food orders up to FA/SB/deli
-dump the FA/deli grease
-check the spill stations multiple times a day
-stock bags
-fill and check chemical bottles for every lane/SD
-clean up every reported spill in the store
-backroom/salesfloor would line all the carts they used at the backroom doors, and those have to be pushed up to the front wells.

You could be on lunch, and they would call for you to clean up a spill when you come back on the clock.
Damn, half the stuff on that list doesn't exist at my old store, or it's someone else's responsibility. Zoning lanes is the responsibility of the GSA/TL or cashiers, soda coolers get refilled by vendors, Can-Do doesn't exist, registry paper gets restocked by GSA/TL, defectives are taken back by a GSTM, FA is done by an FATM. Sounds like CAs at my old store have it easy. We even got a new, faster cart pusher when I was there.

1) Get the carts/pick up the diapers.

2) Maintain Restroom cleanliness.

3) Keep the front end clean and swept up.

4) Everything else!

Easypeasy!

At my current store, all of the guests seem to have issues holding onto their popcorn, so I spend wayyyyyyy too much of my carts shifts cleaning up popcorn, both out of carts, and around the rest of the store. I swear it wasn't so bad at my old store. I once watched a woman dump a nearly full bag of popcorn into her empty cart out in the parking lot, because she wanted to "feed the poor hungry birds". I was about ready to run over and strangle her.

Popcorn on the lot doesn't bother me. I only sweep it up when it's in front of the store .

Once our popcorn machine was broken for a couple of days. It's amazing how clean the floors stay when there's none of that shit around.

One of the the CA's at my store is in a pirate metal band.
They worked around his tour schedule and didn't care that he looked like a pirate.
Seems like as good a reason to be a CA as any.

I would enjoy work so much more if more team members looked like pirates!

How does one (in red and khaki) look like a pirate?

I didn't know what a Can Do was at first, but then I remembered the weekly shopping trips to Pathmark with my dad. I still remember putting the bottles in the machines, making sure the barcode was lined up, and getting the nickel. I'm sure it's different now.

I was a cart attendant many years ago for a different company. I liked the fact that I didn't have to stay in one spot all day. I could go outside whenever I wanted to and be away from customers and management when they started to get my nerves. :)

@Kartman , I am glad to hear you enjoy it. Our cart attendants get treated like crap. No recognition for doing a lot of tedious and disgusting work. Maybe your store is one of the few good ones.

CA was the only job I was able to clock in, bust my ass, and then relax the rest of the night. I never got sent home early because I finished my work too fast.

My store IS one of the better ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back