Archived Why Do You Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering that myself recently. The other day I had a timely interaction with a guest that reminded me as to why I stay. I am semi-retired from the IT world having spent many years behind a desk managing other desk bound IT’ers. In store I can move about and interact with people of all sorts who are mostly good and that was a big change for me. I really enjoy it. The fear of another desk job keeps me here despite the irritation as of late.

I stay because I only want a part time job at the moment. Short of being a TL or higher, it’s hard for a TM to expect full time hours.

The pay is good for the type of job it is, and it’s not the kind of work you take home with you. When I clock out, I don’t worry about anything Target related until the next shift.

My last FT job I constantly had to be in contact with the boss, worry about deadlines, etc., etc., there is something refreshing about doing good work while on the clock, and checking out mentally when off the clock.

I stay because they are really cool with accommodating me with good hours for a student. I’m also fortunate enough to work at a store with great leadership and coworkers.

I stay because I only want a part time job at the moment. Short of being a TL or higher, it’s hard for a TM to expect full time hours.

The pay is good for the type of job it is, and it’s not the kind of work you take home with you. When I clock out, I don’t worry about anything Target related until the next shift.

My last FT job I constantly had to be in contact with the boss, worry about deadlines, etc., etc., there is something refreshing about doing good work while on the clock, and checking out mentally when off the clock.
This is pretty much my situation too. I have a crapload of retail experience including managerial, and was a shoo-in for a full-time manager job with a major department store at the same time that I finally got called by Target. I chose Target because I don't need to be the boss anymore. Plus, the pay is ok relatively-speaking, it's a few minutes away and I can wear jeans - I remind myself of all of this every time I start to get frustrated.

Um, you do have to take it home. You have to make sure important things get to the right person, so you have to keep whatever your list is in your mind until shifts coincide where information is delivered. A lot of people can't forget something for 2-3 days and recall perfectly on time so they do have to stay somewhat aware.

I stay because Targets treated me well. I have a lot of respect for my Lead and a good portion of of the upper management at my store. Although I have complaints from time to time, overall Target has treated me a lot better then previous employers I've had.

Um, you do have to take it home. You have to make sure important things get to the right person, so you have to keep whatever your list is in your mind until shifts coincide where information is delivered. A lot of people can't forget something for 2-3 days and recall perfectly on time so they do have to stay somewhat aware.
But that depends on the position. As a softlines TM there's really nothing that I have to pass on to someone that's not there when my shift is over.

There's all sorts of things, even as an ordinary TM. The store is open 100-120 hours a week, we minions are scheduled for an average of 30 hours. That's a lot of time that something that even a minion know needs to get around. I go home, I have to plan how I'm going to go in and handle a pre-holiday or post-holiday fitting room, I have to remember which mannequin I took an item of clothes off of so I can tell the VM, I have to check if the clothing item with the swapped tag that I told whoever was taking stuff up to the front was an AP issue actually made it there or is back at the fitting room or (even worse) on the floor, I have to go in knowing what Cartwheel offers apply, all sorts of stuff.

Anyone who clocks out mentally when they clock out physically isn't able to do that because there is nothing to mentally take home, they just don't care about the job. That applies to nearly every job out there, maybe even all.

I may be *just* a cashier, but I'm with @Anelmi on this one. I report off to my TL if something needs to be conveyed to other parties. Preferably as close to in the moment as possible, but certainly before I go home. And then it's no longer my responsibility to worry about it. I care about my job just fine. But there is zero reason for me to bring work home with me.

You can clock out mentally and still care about your job and doing it well. There is legitimately no reason for me to dwell on *anything* Target-related after I punch out unless I had a guest that made my life a living hell that shift.

Yeah that. I don't get paid to worry about my job off the clock and there's no reward for that level of dedication and loyalty in a place like Target. I used to try a lot harder until I realized that my effort meant nothing to my leaders and my coworkers who do the absolute bare minimum are treated and paid the same. Don't get me wrong, I'll bust my ass as long as I'm there, but the moment I punch out that's my time and I owe them none of it. I totally appreciate people who go above and beyond, but I don't have the motivation for that anymore.

In spot's drive to keep hours down as the hourly rate goes up, they're missing several points:
How devoted is a TM to their job when they only get 10-15 hrs/week?
How can you have pride in your work when you don't have the time to do a decent job?
How motivated is a TM knowing that - based on the hours given - their workload expectations are unrealistic?
How inspired is a TM to keep trying to improve if they're constantly berated for poor performance based on said unrealistic expectations?
How many times can a company churn thru high turnover & still profit? (Quite often according to Amazon).

There's all sorts of things, even as an ordinary TM. The store is open 100-120 hours a week, we minions are scheduled for an average of 30 hours. That's a lot of time that something that even a minion know needs to get around. I go home, I have to plan how I'm going to go in and handle a pre-holiday or post-holiday fitting room, I have to remember which mannequin I took an item of clothes off of so I can tell the VM, I have to check if the clothing item with the swapped tag that I told whoever was taking stuff up to the front was an AP issue actually made it there or is back at the fitting room or (even worse) on the floor, I have to go in knowing what Cartwheel offers apply, all sorts of stuff.

Anyone who clocks out mentally when they clock out physically isn't able to do that because there is nothing to mentally take home, they just don't care about the job. That applies to nearly every job out there, maybe even all.
When I was a manager, I thought about work all the time. I went to sleep thinking about it and woke up thinking about it. As a minion? Nah. I work my butt off and have earned a reputation as a reliable and hard-working team member, but there's nothing so pressing that I need to plan and strategize off the clock. How to handle the fitting room? Can't really plan anything until I see what I'm up against. Assess the situation and take it from there, on the clock. If I take an item of clothing off a mannequin, I replace it immediately. Cartwheel offers usually have signs, and if not I can look that up when I'm at work. That's not to say that I literally never think about work - things may flit through my mind, but I don't dwell or worry and I can shut it off easily.

The time you spend thinking and worrying about work off the clock is your time - spend it doing something you love, because Target will be there tomorrow. And if you quit and don't show up for work tomorrow, well, they will soldier on without you. One of the things I've learned after decades of working is that no one is irreplaceable. The company survived before I came along and they will survive well after I leave. No sense stressing about things.

I love managing.

Being in charge, developing and leading my team, and providing great guest experience to our guests.

Gives me something else worth living for

In spot's drive to keep hours down as the hourly rate goes up, they're missing several points:
How devoted is a TM to their job when they only get 10-15 hrs/week?
How can you have pride in your work when you don't have the time to do a decent job?
How motivated is a TM knowing that - based on the hours given - their workload expectations are unrealistic?
How inspired is a TM to keep trying to improve if they're constantly berated for poor performance based on said unrealistic expectations?
How many times can a company churn thru high turnover & still profit? (Quite often according to Amazon).
I'm with you on all points. I will have been with Target for 19 years in August. I've seen it go from 40+ hours a week to barely worth the gas I use to go when they feel like scheduling me. It's hard to remain motivated when there is a better chance of two guys in red hats walking in and telling me that I've been elected Pope than there is of my ever making team lead. How do I meet goals, when no one actually knows what the goals are? I often say, not entirely joking, that if I got 1 Redcard application, they would want 2. If I got 2, they would want 4. If I got 4, they would want 16. And if by some miracle I got 16, they would want 256.

I actually don't mind the work changes. And I like what I do .... POG and well, I used the signing tm. But when they start screwing with my hours, that's an issue. I have a job offer for more money and guaranteed hours, but its it's 3rd shift. So, I'll have a tough decision to make after 15 years at Spot.

Companies don't hire people over 50. I have been at my store for nearly 13 years. The pay isn't bad and I have fairly good benefits. I am still a few years away from Medicare/SS AND I can work circles around the younger people at my store. I can work in any area except for Starbucks so I always have a 40 hour schedule.

cause i want to watch the world burn. seriously though its more pride than anything. i dont quit unless its completely hopeless or i find something better, but not before either of those. BUT if i get to watch a billion dollar company and a million dollar store crash on the rocks due to the captain's orders...all the better! mwahahah

cause i want to watch the world burn. seriously though its more pride than anything. i dont quit unless its completely hopeless or i find something better, but not before either of those. BUT if i get to watch a billion dollar company and a million dollar store crash on the rocks due to the captain's orders...all the better! mwahahah
I've said Target will drown in the Amazon sea, frantically chasing its tail in a downward spiral.

I've said Target will drown in the Amazon sea, frantically chasing its tail in a downward spiral.
Amazon announced one day shipping for prime members, Target stock dropped $4.09 so far today. Corporate must love hearing this death knell, since they can’t even consistently deliver two day shipping of undamaged product...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back