Archived Why is your position better than everyone else's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My job is not better than everyone else's jobs. Like everyone else, I am overworked and underpaid.

I can tell you some good and bad things about my job:

The Good

It breaks the cycle that requires you to have HR experience to get a job while needing a job to get HR experience. Target doesn't require previous HR experience so it is a good opportunity to gain some if you want to break into that field. There is exposure to different areas of HR so you get to figure out what you like and don't like. The position also looks good on a resume so tons of people try to recruit you. Lastly, I love being able to help TMs out if they need help with something.

The Bad

My team gets insufficient payroll hours but there is so much to do. We have to handle payroll (missed punches, short shifts, PTO, and sick time), applications, interviews, job offers, orientation, on-boarding paperwork, training, compliance, disciplinary action, recognition, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, term paperwork, voucher (cash) payouts, leave of absences, schedules, charging off hours, replacements for TM call outs, replacements for anything else, SAP orders, donations, entire TMSC brand (cleaning, organizing, decorating, and restocking), phone operator, etc.

The worst part for me was that my store leadership treated me as if I just sat on my butt all day, unfairly coached me based on their BS assumptions, and then delegated more things for me to do. Also, if I got lucky and had an additional HRTM to share the workload for the day, an ETL or the STL pulled that extra person away from HR to help out at another work center. As I drowned in the workload and unappreciation, I eventually got to a point when I asked myself if it was worth it to suffer through all of this while getting paid the lowest amount possible of all four pay grades. My answer was no, so I resigned.

I loved being a HR Team Member! It is a very underpaid position, the 16 year old girl in softlines is a higher paygrade. Did you find a job somewhere else in the HR field?

Receiver isn't, very over worked and under paid. I deal with everyone's shit and its my fault they are made to do their job correctly. I am covering for our receiver while she is out on medical and I knew she was a wizard of knowledge and work but damn.. People act like we don't do shit.. Bitch I loaded the sweep and checked in vendors all damn day while trying to the ESIM and MIRs but sure I have time to push for you? Yeah no..

Receiver isn't, very over worked and under paid. I deal with everyone's shit and its my fault they are made to do their job correctly. I am covering for our receiver while she is out on medical and I knew she was a wizard of knowledge and work but damn.. People act like we don't do shit.. Bitch I loaded the sweep and checked in vendors all damn day while trying to the ESIM and MIRs but sure I have time to push for you? Yeah no..

Receiver is a tough job and usually thankless, too. My store is on its fourth receiver this year.😱

I loved being a HR Team Member! It is a very underpaid position, the 16 year old girl in softlines is a higher paygrade. Did you find a job somewhere else in the HR field?

I thought about continuing to do HR but I decided to take a break from it to do office admin work for a small business instead. It has been chaotic for so long that I need something more laid back for a little while. I might go back to the HR field in the future though.

Last edited:
Receiver is a tough job and usually thankless, too. My store is on its fourth receiver this year.😱

My store's receiver is on her last straw. Shes been here since before I started two years ago and shes always upset and yelling somebody or flow to clean their mess up. 😂

A good way to summarize this thread; Under Paid, and Over Worked.

I’m trying to think of something positive about being a salesfloor team member, but it’s difficult. I guess guests don’t complain about the price as much as at the registers or guest service.

I’m trying to think of something positive about being a salesfloor team member, but it’s difficult. I guess guests don’t complain about the price as much as at the registers or guest service.

I've almost considered switching to be a closing hardlines TM. Zoning, pulls, and stray. That's so much easier than what I have to do, like, literally run an entire department myself without the pay lol. Wet Grocery's been so meh as of late I've begun to dislike it. I actually use to like coming to work but the last few months every time I've come to work I've walked in on a shit-show, freight still left to work, 10+ vehicles of backstock to put away, milk to break down, milk to fill, eggs to break down, fill, and backstock. It's just so tiring, I haven't done any actual closing tasks since last month except ad takedown on Saturdays.

I've almost considered switching to be a closing hardlines TM. Zoning, pulls, and stray. That's so much easier than what I have to do, like, literally run an entire department myself without the pay lol. Wet Grocery's been so meh as of late I've begun to dislike it. I actually use to like coming to work but the last few months every time I've come to work I've walked in on a shit-show, freight still left to work, 10+ vehicles of backstock to put away, milk to break down, milk to fill, eggs to break down, fill, and backstock. It's just so tiring, I haven't done any actual closing tasks since last month except ad takedown on Saturdays.
You don’t have a dedicated team member for ad takedown? We usually do, but lately our ETLs are making Hardlines team members responsible for ad takedown in our departments. And you know what happens when you distribute responsibility to multiple people. Some don’t follow through.

It is not better than anyone else's but there are blessings.

I work shoes. Therefore I am essentially a footwear librarian. And I love reshelving those books.
My leadership team trusts me to finish a good zone so they will leave me alone for 3+ hours while I get every single shoe in the department in the right place. I'm grateful at my store I have time to do that, I worked at a higher volume store with deeper 4fts and never had enough time even in an 8.5 shift due to multiple factors.
Every weekday at around 12:30-1:30pm my department cleans out while all the yoga moms rush to pick up their kids from school so there's absolutely no one in shoes and it becomes deathly quiet and I get some peace.

Sometimes in guest service there’s rare moments when all the sort and defects are done and we have literally nothing to do so we just bullshit together for a couple hours and all my GS people are also like my closest friends so it’s great

My job is not better than everyone else's jobs. Like everyone else, I am overworked and underpaid.

The Good

It breaks the cycle that requires you to have HR experience to get a job while needing a job to get HR experience. Target doesn't require previous HR experience so it is a good opportunity to gain some if you want to break into that field. There is exposure to different areas of HR so you get to figure out what you like and don't like. The position also looks good on a resume so tons of people try to recruit you. Lastly, I love being able to help TMs out if they need help with something.

The Bad

My team gets insufficient payroll hours but there is so much to do. We have to handle payroll (missed punches, short shifts, PTO, and sick time), applications, interviews, job offers, orientation, on-boarding paperwork, training, compliance, disciplinary action, recognition, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, term paperwork, voucher (cash) payouts, leave of absences, schedules, charging off hours, replacements for TM call outs, replacements for anything else, SAP orders, donations, entire TMSC brand (cleaning, organizing, decorating, and restocking), phone operator, etc.

The worst part for me was that my store leadership treated me as if I just sat on my butt all day, unfairly coached me based on their BS assumptions, and then delegated more things for me to do. Also, if I got lucky and had an additional HRTM to share the workload for the day, an ETL or the STL pulled that extra person away from HR to help out at another work center. As I drowned in the workload and unappreciation, I eventually got to a point when I asked myself if it was worth it to suffer through all of this while getting paid the lowest amount possible of all four pay grades. My answer was no, so I resigned.

I really felt this. HR is very difficult and way more than just sitting all day. I work in a high volume store with a headcount reaching 500 and my team is small. We have to handle schedules and deal with angry team members because we’re cutting hours because of our payroll. HR is not for everybody at Target, each store is different and ran differently.

The Good

The Bad

You should’ve asked for a raise. You can ask for one after you’ve been working for 2-3 years with them.

You don’t have a dedicated team member for ad takedown? We usually do, but lately our ETLs are making Hardlines team members responsible for ad takedown in our departments. And you know what happens when you distribute responsibility to multiple people. Some don’t follow through.

I work at a SuperT but not every department is E2E. I just saw we're converting Softlines and Beauty to E2E, though. That's the first I've heard of it at my store. I do ad-takedown for Frozen Dairy(my department) when I'm closing, then if I have time I'll help with dry grocery ad-takedown.

I guess being a cashier, I don't have too many worries about not finishing my work on time, based on what I read here and seeing hardlines and softlines team members being scolded or punished for not meeting unrealistic expectations for zoning, reshop, etc. I just have to check out guests until my scheduled time and take breaks at assigned times. Sure, there are some difficult guests who challenge prices and use wrong coupons, but I can't imagine myself doing well answering questions guests may have about the items that Target sells.

I really typed out a long post for this and took it back for enough reasons.

Pros:
-I set my own workload and pace

Cons:
-Severely underpaid and untrained for the scope of work.
-I can be held civilly liable with out corporate protection because I know I shouldn’t handle certain things, but the company tells me do it anyway.

I would never work the retail side of Spot.

Because I don't have to write down every day what I sold to our guests. And other than asking guests if they'd like to sign up for a Red Card, I don't have to try to increase basket size either.

You should’ve asked for a raise. You can ask for one after you’ve been working for 2-3 years with them.

Ever since the position's pay grade level dropped, raises don't matter much anymore. For example, I got a good [for Target standards] raise from my review but it got wiped out when base pay went up. Half of the people that I hired afterward made more than me because they were in the next pay grade level.

Last edited:
Ever since the position's pay grade level dropped, raises don't matter much anymore. For example, I got a good [for Target standards] raise from my review but it got wiped out when base pay went up. Half of the people that I hired afterward made more than me because they were in the next pay grade level.
That’s true and it does suck because it makes it feel like your time with target went by and was unappreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back