Archived Why is your position better than everyone else's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work GS.

Every excuse in the book they throw at me as to why they're returning, why there's no receipt, why they want to exchange... more funny material for me to talk about and make fun of guests.
No pushing REDcard or Target Red to anyone!

Hardlines TL, because I get to move around the whole store. I HATE being in one area, that’s why I always hated being a cashier at previous jobs, I don’t like sitting still. I love the freedom of moving around and not confined to a “work center” as Target calls it. I’ve alwsys been that way naturally, I enjoy moving around. At previous jobs I used to hate “don’t leave your register! Don’t leave customer service!”
I can’t sit still that’s why sales floor is perfect for me, always on the move

Cart Attendant. 'Nuff said!

QaOD1zt.gif

I like working at Guest Services because I genuinely care about the guest's experience and making things as easy as possible for them. I also like working at Starbucks because it's fun making stuff and helping people find their new go-to drink.

They barely schedule me so instead of being overworked and paying bills I get to spend my free days playing with puppies and helping their owners spend money spoiling them rotten.

My job is not better than everyone else's jobs. Like everyone else, I am overworked and underpaid.

I can tell you some good and bad things about my job:

The Good

It breaks the cycle that requires you to have HR experience to get a job while needing a job to get HR experience. Target doesn't require previous HR experience so it is a good opportunity to gain some if you want to break into that field. There is exposure to different areas of HR so you get to figure out what you like and don't like. The position also looks good on a resume so tons of people try to recruit you. Lastly, I love being able to help TMs out if they need help with something.

The Bad

My team gets insufficient payroll hours but there is so much to do. We have to handle payroll (missed punches, short shifts, PTO, and sick time), applications, interviews, job offers, orientation, on-boarding paperwork, training, compliance, disciplinary action, recognition, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, term paperwork, voucher (cash) payouts, leave of absences, schedules, charging off hours, replacements for TM call outs, replacements for anything else, SAP orders, donations, entire TMSC brand (cleaning, organizing, decorating, and restocking), phone operator, etc.

The worst part for me was that my store leadership treated me as if I just sat on my butt all day, unfairly coached me based on their BS assumptions, and then delegated more things for me to do. Also, if I got lucky and had an additional HRTM to share the workload for the day, an ETL or the STL pulled that extra person away from HR to help out at another work center. As I drowned in the workload and unappreciation, I eventually got to a point when I asked myself if it was worth it to suffer through all of this while getting paid the lowest amount possible of all four pay grades. My answer was no, so I resigned.

Last edited:
Use to guarantee me 35 hours in electronics but now I barely get 28 while also working in other departments, so it isn’t better.

Pros
  • I get to stroll around the store
  • Bug everyone while they're working (small talk while making them help me find an item)
  • Intentionally ignore guests, because I don't really have time for them. I'll only help if they ask for it.
  • Come back later and bug the same person while they're working (The item is not at the location! Get back here!)
  • Annoy LOD with INFs, and complain how bad our softline's inventory is (Love it when its the STL)
  • Play my own music in the backroom, while packing for SFS
  • Take my 15s anytime (within reason, ofcourse)
Cons
  • Got to hide from TMs with no Zebras, sometimes
  • Boxes, boxes and more boxes - Q4 madness
  • Buying new insoles every once in awhile
  • Tiny backroom
  • Problem: 90% of the store don't know how to backstock Results: Bad inventory counts, and bad backroom habits. Pretty sure our BR team is fed up with it

Seasonal.

I can just say, yeah I'm not trained for that for just about everything besides my basic role. Things busy in the backroom and you want me to help backstock? Sorry, unless you have the time to train me right now I can't help you, but here's this flat of freight you had me push out that was 90% things that weren't needed on the floor or things for aisles that should be reset but haven't been yet. Where would you like me to put it so that someone else can backstock it?

I wouldn't mind knowing how to do things and being able to just do them, but there is a small pleasure in being able to say no, I don't know how to do that, so I'll just focus on my assigned tasks.

Pros
• I get more freedom than I did as a cashier and slighty more than when I was just a guest service tm
• I love the feeling of wanting to die
• My team is awesome
• I’m always busy doing something
• Certain front end tms do listen to me and I can help them with things
• Giving good guest service can be rewarding especially if it’s a complicated situation you can figure out and let the guest leave happy
• Lots of funny stories
• Mixture of guest service and GSA shifts rather than guest service with a little SCO and cashier shifts every once in awhile
• The feeling of being trusted - I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone believe in me as much as my GSTLs and a few others, which always feels nice

Cons
• No one cares about GSAs (except my GSTLs, so I guess that means something)
• I can’t write up and a lot of tms know that and take advantage during a solo closing shift
• More responsibility with not much incentive
• Guests, lots of guests
• All those problem guests I used to shell out on my GSTLs/ GSAs now get shelled to me
• Bathrooms!

My position isn't better at all lol. Just like HRLady says, underpaid and overworked. I work in my store's frozen dairy section and we're always extremely understaffed but are never hiring for our department and I'm clopening twice a week. Every time I close, I walk in at 1pm with 4 pallets of Dairy freight to push still when I have 1 o'clocks, milk to break down, and other closing things, but I still pick up the morning team's work. If it's the weekend, I have 1 o'clocks, a few man cafs, and 5 o'clocks to worry about. We have almost zero upper management support, and it's sad.

I stay late to help the department almost daily but the end result is still the same... I get asked to stay an hour or two late to help finish up back-stock so many times "Hey, TTGOz, if you could just stay late to help finish milk breakdown and backstock, can you do that?" and it's just getting so tiring. If I wasn't so unsure of what other retailers in my area were paying right now, I'd leave for a new job instantly. There is so much responsibility that falls on me and I realized no one else cares anymore either, in-fact, people are starting to clock out earlier. I was gunning for a PA position but there's no pay-raise associated with it anymore, I'm pretty much already a PA in terms of what I do. I like the team I work with, I like my TL and my ETL, but what gives?

Oh, yeah, we're in a full-on remodel and it's been fucking horrendous with them having our freezer down for two weeks now. We just got a second trailer we're stuffing everything in. On Monday, our freezer trailer was so stuffed with backstock, we ended up just putting everything in the second truck. What's worse is there is absolutely zero room for backstock in the freezer trailer. We just got a Pizza roll reset with new 50 count bags, and there's a shit ton of new frozen pizza they sent us and that's not helping at all lol.

Plus, it's cold. The cold doesn't bother me, but it surely bothers everyone else, which is why no one else will work back there lol. It's not really even that cold out in the aisles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back