Archived why target cut hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the worst month for sales forecast. Payroll is bare minimum cause sales are light. Happens every year.

Ok, so are hour cuts THAT bad? My store has slashed front end hours to the bone. The 1 GS TM is supposed to do the DriveUp orders and Bullseye's Playground. We're having only SCO open for at least the first hour of the day, including weekends. The seniors and soccer Moms aren't happy to have to both wait in line, and then scan and bag their purchases. And CAs don't come in until afternoon when we run out of carts by late morning.

I don't get it. My store comped up over 5% over last year.

Is this a company trend, or is my store syphoning front end hours to support elsewhere in the store.
Our sco is always the only registers open in the morning for the first hour or two no matter what time of year it is. And cart attendants only work at night. B volume, and highest volume of 3 stores in the area. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Do they really expect modernization to work when hours are this low? We had a crazy Saturday where most of the sales floor was backing up on the lanes and not getting tasks done. "Zone as you go" doesn't work when you're scrambling to get other things done and fill guest requests.

Today a bunch of people had four hour cashier shifts. I felt bad for the GSAs. They made it work, but it was just kind of ridiculous. I got lucky it slowed down enough where I could go learn OPU and help the backroom pull a couple batches before I left, but sheesh. And it wasn't normal cashiers. Sales floor people, market people, and some who normally do OPU or flex.

Also, our SCO crashed for 20 minutes and that disrupted a lot of things, too.

IGS isn't so bad. I'd imagine being very bored (and isolated) in a traditional GS setting.

My store isn't scheduling, but they're calling us in like crazy. Been scheduled in the low 20s for the last 3 weeks. Ended up with 35+ hours each week. Just got a call about an hour ago. "Hey, can you come in early tomorrow?"

Rather just be scheduled the hours to begin with, but whatever.

After no. The week before Christmas? Yes. Man, they're bad. Who the fuck had time to train them then? Nobody and it shows. They keep getting hours though. Nevermind they can't figure out that if an item doesn't have a location on the floor in the Zebra, you probably shouldn't fucking put it out on the floor.
I've seen AFTER Christmas. Maybe they were hired prior but sure didn't start prior AND they got preferred hours, many of which they threw on swap shift sheet because they really are only here for the discount (retirees and Moms with small children starting preschool, etc. who really don't WANT the hours to start with).

It's pretty tough to tell your TMs that their hours are cut because "it's slow" when their workloads haven't been cut, and they're still expected to get the same amount done with less hours. When now they're walking into backlog from days before, stocking shelves in areas that haven't been zoned in days, digging for pick items in mountainous RTS carts, etc. We have MORE POG/VMG workload than during the holidays, and not even enough hours to work the freight or help the guests.
It doesn't go over well when you tell TMs their hours are cut, their workload tripled, and then tell them what a great year we had at huddle, and how we're still comping up in sales right now.

I "get" why Target does it, but by not investing enough payroll to run the teams properly and keep TMs engaged with the job, they're really undercutting this whole "business owner" thing they're trying to roll out to the TMs, aren't they?

It's a big reason we're moving to middle of the day shifts, too, so we can continue to cut back hours.
We're not even on op model yet, and the last two weeks have been horrible.
No check lanes except self open until at least 10am, HL/SL TMs starting between 9am-noon and leaving before 9pm with only one closer.
Every single day has been nothing but early morning and late night calls for back up cashiers, and ETLs screaming when no one answers those or the call boxes without apparently realizing there's NO ONE in the building, including TLs. Well, except some Flow TMs that got moved to GM. Not a single one of which is cashier trained, and about half of which don't speak English.

No need to be shocked. Payroll is assigned based off how much payroll it takes to operate a store making a certain amount of sales. Only doing 50,000 a day in February you get this much. In Dec when you’re doing 200,000 a day you get quadruple the hours.
Then the stl looks at how many trucks are forecast, pog workload, price change workload, etc and tries to divvy out the hours fairly. Problem is, sales are so light no matter what the stl does, it doesn’t seem fair.

It's pretty tough to tell your TMs that their hours are cut because "it's slow" when their workloads haven't been cut, and they're still expected to get the same amount done with less hours. When now they're walking into backlog from days before, stocking shelves in areas that haven't been zoned in days, digging for pick items in mountainous RTS carts, etc. We have MORE POG/VMG workload than during the holidays, and not even enough hours to work the freight or help the guests.
It doesn't go over well when you tell TMs their hours are cut, their workload tripled, and then tell them what a great year we had at huddle, and how we're still comping up in sales right now.

I "get" why Target does it, but by not investing enough payroll to run the teams properly and keep TMs engaged with the job, they're really undercutting this whole "business owner" thing they're trying to roll out to the TMs, aren't they?

It's a big reason we're moving to middle of the day shifts, too, so we can continue to cut back hours.
We're not even on op model yet, and the last two weeks have been horrible.
No check lanes except self open until at least 10am, HL/SL TMs starting between 9am-noon and leaving before 9pm with only one closer.
Every single day has been nothing but early morning and late night calls for back up cashiers, and ETLs screaming when no one answers those or the call boxes without apparently realizing there's NO ONE in the building, including TLs. Well, except some Flow TMs that got moved to GM. Not a single one of which is cashier trained, and about half of which don't speak English.

It gets really fun on non-truck days. Sundays are the best. To do ad my store is scheduling 3 hardlines TMs and 1 softlines TM at 6 am. In the store with us is the pfresh TM doiing her thing, a SrTL doing I don't know what, and one backroom TM supposedly pulling autofills but in reality doing the overnight OPU drops. We're supposed to get ad done by store open at 8am. It never happens. Once ad is done, one of the hardlines TMs sets POGs and the other two push the autofills.

An OPU TM comes in at 8:30, maybe 9 if the store is wanting to shave hours even more. Some more softlines people will start trickling in between 10-12. No cashiers until 10. No one in electronics until 10, maybe even later because electronics likes to call out on Sundays. No one else for hardlines until 2pm when the openers leave. No cart attendants until God knows when.

We get nothing accomplished. Originally, the idea was that one of the HL pushers could do something close to electronics while covering over there. But, we've been given a new order that autofills must be pulled in a particular order and everything within sight of the boat is down the priority list. So one of us has to literally just stand at the boat from 8-10 am with nothing to do but help a guest or two and listen to the same ads on a loop. We've been trading off every other Sunday on who gets this particular hell. Between 10-11 churches let out and the store starts to get very busy. It becomes a constant cycle of guests first, run to call box, try to push but constantly get interrupted by guests with questions. At some point usually between 12-1, the store will run out of carts so we have to stop everything and go get them. And, of course, Sunday autofills are the worst because there's no truck and Saturday is the busiest sales day of the week.

It's become a running joke between the other HL pusher and me how little we manage to accomplish. Just a month ago the store was better staffed in other areas and we'd manage to get all the autofills done between us or at least pretty damn close to it. Now, we can get chem, paper and pets done. Anything beyond that is a matter of pure luck.

I'm scheduled for 4 hours one day a week. Usually they end up doing Saturday of one week and Sunday of the following. I end up having about 2 weeks off in between shifts :(

I'm scheduled for 4 hours one day a week. Usually they end up doing Saturday of one week and Sunday of the following. I end up having about 2 weeks off in between shifts :(

Yikes. Only one person on my team has 4 hours a week and that’s obviously because he’s always dicking around on his damn phone and works slow AF. To cut you to 4 hours a week without any performance issues is p hardcore fam.

Ok, so are hour cuts THAT bad? My store has slashed front end hours to the bone. The 1 GS TM is supposed to do the DriveUp orders and Bullseye's Playground. We're having only SCO open for at least the first hour of the day, including weekends. The seniors and soccer Moms aren't happy to have to both wait in line, and then scan and bag their purchases. And CAs don't come in until afternoon when we run out of carts by late morning.

I don't get it. My store comped up over 5% over last year.

Is this a company trend, or is my store syphoning front end hours to support elsewhere in the store.
Well, it sounds like you work at my store, and you probably don't, if that tells you anything.

After no. The week before Christmas? Yes. Man, they're bad. Who the fuck had time to train them then? Nobody and it shows. They keep getting hours though. Nevermind they can't figure out that if an item doesn't have a location on the floor in the Zebra, you probably shouldn't fucking put it out on the floor.
And may I add, those are the exact same team members that lose ZEBRAs or have them laying on the floor and a guest finds it and hands it over to me. That's why I never share my zebra with them. And when I do, I make sure I log out of all the apps, and remove the battery and restart.

Yikes. Only one person on my team has 4 hours a week and that’s obviously because he’s always dicking around on his damn phone and works slow AF. To cut you to 4 hours a week without any performance issues is p hardcore fam.
I wish my store had that type of enforcement. Unfortunately at my store, these types walking around on their phone with earphones are getting developed into leads. 😠

I wish my store had that type of enforcement. Unfortunately at my store, these types walking around on their phone with earphones are getting developed into leads. 😠

I find it weird to hear about stores that cut hours based on performance. I mean, it makes sense, but we're constantly told that would constitute "favoritism" and put the store at risk for lawsuits, so we're stuck giving everyone the same hours unless someone has a terrible availability, and then we can shaft them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back