Archived Working overnight stock at target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

I got two job offers, both overnight stock. One is $10.50 an hour at Duane Reade and the other one is Target for $12.50 an hour.

The target just recently opened, and they said I could work 40+ hours if I wanted because it's a new store. But I dunno if the workload is worth it. I don't know anything about stocking at Target except what I read online and lots of ppl saying not to do overnight at target. Apparently there's a super high turnover rate.

Duane reade is a much smaller store so I'm thinking working there would be much easier. Let me know what you guys think.

there is a high turnover rate for overnights simply because most people can't get used to that schedule. I don't know why you'd work at Duane Reade because you think it would be easier. Overnights is difficult no matter where you work imo.

Working at Target overnights would entail a couple of different things. Each store is different and some do larger volume than others, so there will be a ton of work depending on where they put you. But, you won't necessarily be guaranteed 40 hrs per week unless you can prove that you're reliable. There are only a few people I work with that get a guaranteed 40 hrs per week and they are the ones that regularly show up for their shift and are fast at their jobs. The others usually get their hours scaled back when HR has to make cuts due to their budget.

New store hours are flowing like water.. But six months to a year.. Away they go.. And depending on sales, that overnight shift could quickly change to 4am to 6am to 7:30 or even 8am truck process.. New stores are always flooded with hours to get them up and running then after the year they know basically what sales are like then schedule shorthanded like all their other stores.

Just go into it knowing it going to suck and you don't expect anything other than to work.. But full time? Don't count on it..

The high turnover also has to do with the quality of people they hire for the overnight shifts, alone with what ColonelAngus said. I've seen alcoholics, drug addicts, street thugs and murderers on the shift. It really depends on your location as well.

Go for Target. 12.50 an hour is a nice wage for Target. At my store flow makes 10.50. And don't quit because it's hard and you think Duane whatever is going to be easier. Their overnight is gonna suck too, and you'll make a whole 2 to 300 dollars less over there every month. It's just a lot of moving and lifting.

I got two job offers, both overnight stock. One is $10.50 an hour at Duane Reade and the other one is Target for $12.50 an hour.
You sure you didn't get those two mixed up? Stocking at Target usually starts at $10.50 (plus an extra $1 shift diff for overnight), and they are more likely to hire an excessive amount of TMs than pay OT.

You sure you didn't get those two mixed up? Stocking at Target usually starts at $10.50 (plus an extra $1 shift diff for overnight), and they are more likely to hire an excessive amount of TMs than pay OT.

That Target is a new store, and it could be starting at a higher rate either due to a higher cost of living or the fact that it's a new store that needs bodies.

We don't do overnight so I wouldn't be able to lend you any advice there. I'm sure the process is slightly different. I do however love working for target. For some odd reason regardless of the slander I hear about the company. I say go for target if you havnt already chosen. There's plenty of room for development and growth within the company. If you're genuinely a hard worker, it doesn't go unnoticed (at the right store) and the process is addictive.

The high turnover also has to do with the quality of people they hire for the overnight shifts, alone with what ColonelAngus said. I've seen alcoholics, drug addicts, street thugs and murderers on the shift. It really depends on your location as well.

I can't say that I work with alcoholics, drug addicts, or murderers but there are a couple that do come off as street thugs. Target will literally hire anyone so long as they have bodies to fill positions

Like others have said DONT let them lure you with..the timeless tale of how you will get unlimited hours. EVEN if its true it wont last. So, if you do take a job at Spot keep that in mind for budgeting purposes.

I can't say that I work with alcoholics, drug addicts, or murderers but there are a couple that do come off as street thugs. Target will literally hire anyone so long as they have bodies to fill positions
And I noticed I said "alone with what", instead of "along with what". :p

I've seen more addicts and murderers at my current store than I ever did at the other stores I worked at. Don't know how, but we also had someone hired for 4+ years who as on the run from INS.

As an overnight flow store I can tel you that our flow team members are always given 35 hours. By any chance is this new store located in ny? You don't have to answer that if you afraid of it giving you away. I say go with spot 12.50 isn't bad for flow

And I noticed I said "alone with what", instead of "along with what". :p

I've seen more addicts and murderers at my current store than I ever did at the other stores I worked at. Don't know how, but we also had someone hired for 4+ years who as on the run from INS.

Sounds like your store is on the wrong side of town. :D

True def of 'Targhetto'.

You guys makes it sound like I'm in some Detroit Target, and I'm not.
My town is a nice small town of 13,k , the Target is in a town of about 25k, and there's a town nearby that's absolute garbage that's around 90k. I've also been working for the company across 3 different states for the past 10+ years. I've seen quite a bit.

Target closed a store in a part of my town that was so rough Walmart & Sam's had left years earlier.

Target closed a store in a part of my town that was so rough Walmart & Sam's had left years earlier.
The second Target I worked at has one store about 15 minutes in one direction, and another 20 minutes the other direction. The 20 minute away store is in a really bad town, and everyone thought it wouldn't stay in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back