I'm Lost! Working past my shift and there’s still a guest

So earlier I was at service desk, and I’m off 7:00pm. And there’s this guest who’s waiting to be helped and it was already 6:59. My Co-worker literally told me to help her and I said okay and then she returned A LOT OF STUFF. it was already 7:05 and there’s one more item that she needs to return and the register said “register closed. Try different register” but I’m already working past my shift and I just told my co-worker “hey, I’m working past my shift” my TL already told me to hurry and clock out. Did I do something wrong with customer service? This is the first time that happened in 5 months. I felt so bad for the guest but I just followed my team leader. Is there any tips that I can get from you guys so I could avoid this kind of situation again? I know guests comes first but I felt that I REALLY need to follow my team leader as well.

As a general rule, I only leave partway through helping a guest in two scenarios.

1.) Staying puts me into OT and it is my last scheduled day of the week so I can't cut time later on.
2.) Staying puts me into non-compliance in regards to requiring a lunch.
I've litterally been told this. "At that point you radio soneone immediately saying this. Screw how you look, appologize and leave when someome comes up"

If you were to be going into compliance, you need to clock out for lunch ASAP.
If you were to be hitting overtime, you would need to clock out ASAP unless authorized.
If you were working just over the shift, help the guest. If questioned, just tell them you were dealing with guests.

Back