Worth trying to promote to ETL?

Have been a TL for 10 years and talking with SD about promoting to ETL. Concern, with the extra hours expected, will my pay go up enough to be worth it? Extra responsibility and hours... I need to see a difference in my pay check. Anyone have any insights? Will I still keep my vacation time I have?

I understand what you are saying... I have had two loser etl in a row that I reported to....both quit before that decision was made for them. Part of reason why I’m thinking of promoting, I’m tired of dealing with having etls I report to being clueless, me having to train them, and they take all the cred. I believe I can help TL get trained and support them. But I get what you are saying, I’m at point in my life that switching stores some no longer affects home life either.

I understand what you are saying... I have had two loser etl in a row that I reported to....both quit before that decision was made for them. Part of reason why I’m thinking of promoting, I’m tired of dealing with having etls I report to being clueless, me having to train them, and they take all the cred. I believe I can help TL get trained and support them. But I get what you are saying, I’m at point in my life that switching stores some no longer affects home life either.
My Etl is a former peer of mine . It’s great to have someone on my side that comes from a position of tm , tl and now etl.

In all my Spot years Have seen hundreds of TL & ETL’s & even STL/SD come and go. Must say, without reservation, the BEST ones were ALWAYS the promoted ones that worked for it, especially the SD’s. The outside hires never really ‘get it’ , what it’s like to be a tm I mean. Outside hires most of the time have an elitist attitude that does not promote positive morale. Anyone having been in the trenches can sympathize and find solutions better than someone trapped in an ivory tower That never actually had to struggle. After all, everything looks great on paper - it’s the execution that brings the problems to light.
Whenever possible the internal promotion wins my vote For any open position.
i hate to hear a TL say “I had to train my exec how to do it !”

Have been a TL for 10 years and talking with SD about promoting to ETL. Concern, with the extra hours expected, will my pay go up enough to be worth it? Extra responsibility and hours... I need to see a difference in my pay check. Anyone have any insights? Will I still keep my vacation time I have?

From what I’ve heard, the initial pay bump leaves a bit to be desired depending on your current pay, but with the bonus opportunities and yearly reviews apparently you move up in pay quickly. I’m personally trying to get promoted into a ETL role but the district keeps insisting on hiring fresh blood.

As far as if it is worth it... it’s a gamble. I will say if you’ve been a TL for 10 years, you might not want the extra responsibility because the pay doesn’t cut it. For me, I was a TM for 7 years, and going on year 2 of being a TL - I’m already at the bottom of the pole in regards to pay so the bump should be somewhat significant. Who knows.

One downside to promoting to ETL is you don't have any say in your career path. If offered a transfer, you have to take it. It used to be ETLs had to transfer every 18 months, but don't know if thays the case anymore. I've also seen some ETLs transferred to a store that was an absolute disaster, and they knew they'd either quit or get fired. It's more money, but expect some 70 hour weeks and having to give up days off.

One downside to promoting to ETL is you don't have any say in your career path. If offered a transfer, you have to take it. It used to be ETLs had to transfer every 18 months, but don't know if thays the case anymore. I've also seen some ETLs transferred to a store that was an absolute disaster, and they knew they'd either quit or get fired. It's more money, but expect some 70 hour weeks and having to give up days off.
This us what would keep me from wanting to take that on. The weird thing is, I know for a fact that our food ETL has been in this same store for a decade, maybe more! I would consider it if I only had to move around our district, otherwise my husband has a business that can't be moved easily. One kid in college and another in 3rd grade. Might just squat over my department until I die if old age.

When I was first promoted from TL to ETL (I had been promoted from TM do TL), I was relocated to the bottom performing store in the district for 3 years because I was "too close to the team." After 3 years I was asked to return either because enough time had passed or (more likely) the overnight log team was in shambles...

I have mixed feelings on advice for you. Spot allowed me to build a nice house, drive a nice car, and take care of myself and my furkids. However, after working 80-100 hours a week 99% of the year for 10 years, I learned how expendable I was, especially after having something happen to me while working.

My best advice is to do what your heart tells you. Are you passionate enough about your team and your department to work that many hours (I once figured I was making $3 something an hour). No matter what, have a backup plan and keep track of your accomplishments and reviews so that you can build a great resume and answer interview questions successfully.

Best wishes to you!!

I would say it depends what position you’ll be getting in to. For me I would say being a Log isn’t worth the stress. I’m in that role and although I do it well you’re literally blamed for everything even things beyond your control. Furthermore when the company introduces unreasonable expectations or processes you’re forced to do it and when it doesn’t work they won’t blame the process they’ll blame you. Perfect position to move up further though as if you can handle this not much will make you flinch.

Now if it’s closing ETL, GmETL, SE ETL, Consumables ETL, etc I would say it’s a nice position to be in. Like someone said the initial pay raise is decent but not crazy, however the yearly increases bump you up fast.

Mind you my first and only ETL position is overnight Inbound so it’s relative. I look at other positions and I can see several solutions to their problems as I believe Inbound makes you good at that.

TL;DR It’s important to take into consideration what position you’ll be offered before committing.

I know this post is a bit old, however I've just recently re-discovered thebreakroom again. I was promoted to ETL-HR back in January 2020. It's been challenging, and with COVID-19 happening, there has been nights where I left work feeling unaccomplished. However, I personally would not change a thing. I love what I do, and Im fortunate to have an amazing DSD & HRBP who genuinely care about the safety of the team first.

I think its worth it. Ive been a team leader for almost 7 years, I learned a lot while being hourly, however being at an ETL level I've continued to learn something new each day. It's not all negative at Target.

I know this post is a bit old, however I've just recently re-discovered thebreakroom again. I was promoted to ETL-HR back in January 2020. It's been challenging, and with COVID-19 happening, there has been nights where I left work feeling unaccomplished. However, I personally would not change a thing. I love what I do, and Im fortunate to have an amazing DSD & HRBP who genuinely care about the safety of the team first.

I think its worth it. Ive been a team leader for almost 7 years, I learned a lot while being hourly, however being at an ETL level I've continued to learn something new each day. It's not all negative at Target.

can I ask how you got promoted to etl hr and what your daily responsibilities are?

can I ask how you got promoted to etl hr and what your daily responsibilities are?

I'm not trying to be too mean, but when I was an ETL-LOG and ETL-GM, I would have begged to be an ETL-HR or GE. Those are the two positions that actually got EASIER in modernization. Food and GM became more difficult versions of their previous iterations, and I'd argue Speciality Sales stayed relatively flat (if they took breakout, they would have room to complain, but GM does that for them so half the work is done).

DSD and HRBPs are honestly trained to keep their teams happy. The problem is you do not really see the true sides of SDs and above, who are all out to constantly save their own jobs. Target's culture is to be competitive and always "the best" at your role. However, most leaders at Target aren't actually trained to solve problems or identify process issues. When your boss at Target asks how you are improving X (X being some identified problem by the boss), your answer should always be "I am working on performance managing the person responsible for X, and will find a replacement soon." That is how they hear success, and this is true all the way up to the top. If you are not currently responsible for X (or related to X), then the DSD and HRBP are there to keep you as happy as possible until the new identified X is related to you.

@Rock Lobster Your analysis in paragraph 2 seems spot on and directly correlates to my own experience with Target. The internal culture seems to focus on personnel replacement in order to solve problems rather than actually training/teaching the team how to solve problems. Target places an emphasis on turnover. It blames process errors on its people rather than perhaps its own management (i.e., insufficient payroll, poorly-designed work processes, etc.). Target's solution to overcoming performance issues is almost always termination of employment rather than teaching team members to actually be successful. Why this is I don't know. But it seems deeply embedded in the culture company-wide.

I'm not trying to be too mean, but when I was an ETL-LOG and ETL-GM, I would have begged to be an ETL-HR or GE. Those are the two positions that actually got EASIER in modernization. Food and GM became more difficult versions of their previous iterations, and I'd argue Speciality Sales stayed relatively flat (if they took breakout, they would have room to complain, but GM does that for them so half the work is done).

DSD and HRBPs are honestly trained to keep their teams happy. The problem is you do not really see the true sides of SDs and above, who are all out to constantly save their own jobs. Target's culture is to be competitive and always "the best" at your role. However, most leaders at Target aren't actually trained to solve problems or identify process issues. When your boss at Target asks how you are improving X (X being some identified problem by the boss), your answer should always be "I am working on performance managing the person responsible for X, and will find a replacement soon." That is how they hear success, and this is true all the way up to the top. If you are not currently responsible for X (or related to X), then the DSD and HRBP are there to keep you as happy as possible until the new identified X is related to you.

why is HR or GE easier? isn't GE a lot of getting yelled at by karens and pushing red cards?

But only 8 hours/day, lol. LOG/GM is going to put in some serious time depending on the store.

I remember the ETL LOG being at work before I got there at 5:30 and still being there long after I left.
Nicest guy out of the lot and the hardest working.
6 days a week.
Not an easy job.

If you do, good luck. Bear in mind you'll be in with brand new out of college inexperienced bon bons with dog stars in their eyes and loaded with Kool Aid and ready to throw anyone under the bus. Be careful for what you wish.
The worst ETLs I have seen have been they ones they hire straight out of college with no work experience. That has never made any sense to me.

Back