Archived Would you quit Target for a "better" job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been with my TL since I started in Target and that was 5 years ago so yes, we've been through a lot and I do owe her part of where I am now. I learned a lot from her.
That doesn't mean you owe it her to stay. No good leader would be happy about their workers finding a much better paying job.

You should learn new skills and used them to get ahead, not learn them and make the same when you can make more. I took a side job learning electric work for a company, they honestly taught me a lot and wanted me to grow with the company but they paid me like shit. I have another offer that paid better and I only needed the experience I got from the first job so even though they trained me well and wanted me to stay, I have to leave for the better paying job

Gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead. Even if your TL likes you, they probably won't take a cut in hours to keep you at 40 if your payroll goes to shit

Absolutely. I’ve been with spot for 7.5 years. Do I love my job? No. Do I hate it? Also no. Honestly, the only reason I’m really still here doing what I’m doing is because I honestly don’t know wtf I want. The majority of jobs around my area are IT or Engineering related...which just isn’t my thing. But if/when the right opportunity arises, I’ll be out of there asafp.

Are cross-temporal transfers a thing? I'd like to travel back in time to the 80's and work at an 80's Target.
NO you wouldnt. Ask yourself do want to do non E2E flow without any computers what so ever. No plastic pallets no U Boats and very few flats.

This!! Target has been so flexible with me schedule wise so for this HS student it’s perfect. I work 20-35/week in the summer, and sundays and the occasional Friday night during the school year.

I don’t wanna work retail my entire life, but at this stage, it’s pretty great for me.
Be careful, you might wake up 20 yrs from now still working in it. Go to a good college and dont take anything liberal arts.

I did leave, as $17/H Flow TL for nearly 4 years; started looking into other jobs when E2E started to be a thing. Reading the E2E documents i predicted it would push me out of a logistics role if i stayed with target. Now working for $35/H as maintenance at a large company in which i only work 4 days a week 10 hours a day with much better insurance, an all around win. Seems like i should have been PMT instead, either way not a bad way for a guy with just high school.

Last edited:
NEVER i love target sooo much! even if i ever get hired a monday through friday 8 to 5 pm job i would just change all my hours to weekends and evenings and even willing to do over night if i have too. I love working holidays and weekends that i would never quit my job! or find an office job thats like 5 am to 3 monday to friday and then just put all days available everday from 3:30 to when ever and then also keep weekends open!

NEVER i love target sooo much! even if i ever get hired a monday through friday 8 to 5 pm job i would just change all my hours to weekends and evenings and even willing to do over night if i have too. I love working holidays and weekends that i would never quit my job! or find an office job thats like 5 am to 3 monday to friday and then just put all days available everday from 3:30 to when ever and then also keep weekends open!
Nice to see someone from T-1040!

Right now? No. I'm currently in school and I enjoy having 20ish work hours a week just for some pocket cash. The Target I work at is great, low stress and no drama.

Later Yes. I won't have time to work at Target after I graduate and take the next step towards what I ultimately want to do.
What would you like to do? Like what is your degree major?

If I am able to find somewhere that consistently gives me 32-40 hours a week. Yes! I'd even take a bit of a pay cut for the privilege.

I like having the occasional weekend because most of my friends are M-F 9-5 corporate drones and I like to hang out with them on occasion :p

Been applying lots of places because I currently get zero work life balance and am starting to get tasks put on my shoulders that I know are actually TL responsibilities without the promotion or the pay. Combining that with the abysmal staffing situation at my store and it’s no wonder I’m one of the only “Core Team Members” the store originally hired (you get trained, then train everyone else they hire after you) that’s still around. I’ll take a pay cut to have a decent work-life balance, steady hours, a predictable workload when I come in (like I’m on the schedule as hardlines, but end up doing unload, or softlines, or covering electronics call outs, or market call outs, etc.) and no more constantly moving goalposts for what we’re trying to achieve as a company.

I'm considering quitting without having another job lined up.

I did that with my last job. I really do not recommend. I ended up without a job for three months. Hell, even 12 years of steady employment later I still get asked why I was unemployed for that three month period in interviews.

I did that with my last job. I really do not recommend. I ended up without a job for three months. Hell, even 12 years of steady employment later I still get asked why I was unemployed for that three month period in interviews.

Wow, I wouldn't have expected that with how tight the job market is. Employers need to lower the bar to get enough bodies on board these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back