Archived Would you quit Target for a "better" job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did that with my last job. I really do not recommend. I ended up without a job for three months. Hell, even 12 years of steady employment later I still get asked why I was unemployed for that three month period in interviews.
Maybe stop putting that on your application

Maybe stop putting that on your application

I generally omit it, but for a couple of places I've applied to it would potentially help me get a job. In fact, both places I've been given offers. But I declined them because both were part-time offers and Target was actually giving me descent hours still at that point.

And this is why I’ll be a lifer at Target

39543481_2592962014055921_4389956751223422976_n.jpg

Been applying lots of places because I currently get zero work life balance and am starting to get tasks put on my shoulders that I know are actually TL responsibilities without the promotion or the pay. Combining that with the abysmal staffing situation at my store and it’s no wonder I’m one of the only “Core Team Members” the store originally hired (you get trained, then train everyone else they hire after you) that’s still around. I’ll take a pay cut to have a decent work-life balance, steady hours, a predictable workload when I come in (like I’m on the schedule as hardlines, but end up doing unload, or softlines, or covering electronics call outs, or market call outs, etc.) and no more constantly moving goalposts for what we’re trying to achieve as a company.
We HAVE Goalposts? Ours vanished a long time ago

REAL SHIT, I know a couple people who do make $40/hr and at their jobs, overtime is not only allowed but mandatory, whew
My dad makes $60 an hour and he works 8 hours a day mon-fri and then on Saturday he works 8 hours DOUBLE TIME so $120 an hour I literally can’t even fathom making that much he makes more in hour than I do in an entire shift sometimes

My dad makes $60 an hour and he works 8 hours a day mon-fri and then on Saturday he works 8 hours DOUBLE TIME so $120 an hour I literally can’t even fathom making that much he makes more in hour than I do in an entire shift sometimes

Union worker?

Abso-freaking-lutely. Do it.

I cannot stress enough that Target is going in the opposite direction of what it was a touch over a decade ago. ... I put in a decade's time (and a little more) and left making the same as someone who was just hired (or less, in some cases). I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into my store, my team and my department (pricing) all to see it go down the toilet. I left each day stressed and not feeling like myself. A lot of times, I brough work home with me - the stress, the drama, the lack of being able to make bills at times. ... I left to take a job making *triple* what I was making there - complete with benefits, retirement and OT if I want it. I can seriously, honestly say that I am far less stressed and far happier than I have been in 10 years.

While I'll always appreciate the fact that I had a job at a point when they were hard to come by, I will never look back to Target again. The experience was valuable, the years spent there showed dedication (if nothing else) and I learned a lot about myself.

Yes, or even just leave in general! I used to love working at Target but things have gone downhill. When you get paid around the same as a newly hired TM to handle responsibilities that could be separated into multiple roles at another company while being scheduled only 20 hours in addition to getting s**t from management about not doing enough, you definitely reach the point where you just want to leave regardless of whether you find a better job yet.

Yes, or even just leave in general! I used to love working at Target but things have gone downhill. When you get paid around the same as a newly hired TM to handle responsibilities that could be separated into multiple roles at another company while being scheduled only 20 hours in addition to getting s**t from management about not doing enough, you definitely reach the point where you just want to leave regardless of whether you find a better job yet.

broke: quitting your HR job
woke: keying yourself in at a higher paygrade
bespoke: hiring yourself at multiple stores and drawing pay from all of them at once

I think our HRTM gets almost 40 hours. She does ad prep too, but mostly HR. Are there 2 of you?

broke: quitting your HR job
woke: keying yourself in at a higher paygrade
bespoke: hiring yourself at multiple stores and drawing pay from all of them at once

CTT, I have actually thought about the "woke" option but I won't have access to things necessary to do the job unless I am keyed as HRTM which is in the lowest pay grade. :(

I think our HRTM gets almost 40 hours. She does ad prep too, but mostly HR. Are there 2 of you?

Yes. My coworker is in the same situation as me though. There are not enough hours or people for our work center to realistically handle our big store workload.

CTT, I have actually thought about the "woke" option but I won't have access to things necessary to do the job unless I am keyed as HRTM which is in the lowest pay grade. :(

Yes. My coworker is in the same situation as me though. There are not enough hours or people for our work center to realistically handle our big store workload.
Can’t you also manually give yourself a raise? Of course not saying you should if you want to keep your job, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back