Would you quit your job if you won the local jackpot?

I'd give 2 weeks and then go put my time into an organization that helps people. Also, I'd gift some of my tm's some money to go back to school. They are good people and a few of them have other jobs so I'd like to help them get ahead if I could.

Id start my own business, I think id have to keep working somehow but id take a few years off and have some fun. Me and the woman would tour the planet.

Give 2 weeks which would give me time to get together with accountants and Lawyers to structure how I receive and manage my money. Also, give away as many shifts as possible via swap book. I'd focus on family, fun and my current volunteer situations. No problem finding uses for my time, I'm somewhat closer to retirement than many folks here so my day to day life has the eye on the prize anyway.

If I had my old ETL and some former TM's back, I'd probably stay for a while longer. But as things are right now, I'd probably tell them I'm looking to quit and stay just long enough for them to find and train a replacement.

The big lotteries don't have an instant payout option. Most take 4 to 6 weeks I think. However, once you verify your ticket with the lotto people I'm pretty sure your bank would be more than happy to give you a loan so you could disappear pretty quickly. I know I would quit, but with the way staffing for the holidays are and my work responsibilities I'd probably stay on until the New Year. Unfortunately for the horrible guests, I probably would be the most sarcastic Service Desk TM in the company. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

I'd request a transfer to one of the Anchorage stores. Work part time, fish, hunt, and hike the rest of my life.

In short, no. I would not quit my job.

I think I'd stay, but not take on the hours I currently do. More like working a couple of shifts a week. I think it also depends on how much money I would be taking on. Still gotta pay taxes and shit you know

I'd start a no-kill animal shelter.

Fuck Spot.

lhQuoGe.gif

Assuming i win enough to move to disney property i would give my 2 weeks and gtfo lol and my current state does not allow for me to stay unknown with a big win so id be changing # frequently while here probably

I find it funny everyone is like I would stay on some sort of basis lol.

I do think if you win a big lottery you get a good amount of walking around money until the big check comes in......

I have two jobs so I would probably go to part time at my main job and finally call it a career at Target. If I didnt have my other job I would probably work some sort of schedule. I would be more demanding of it and less willing to deviate from it though.

in a hot minute!

once i was sure i had the money, and everything was final ... lol! id go in for my final shift, burn EVERY bridge, and then leave when i got my 15. lolololol will be how i leave.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people that would stay. The reason most people are working here is because they cant go back to school or it's a after HS gig. Having a decent amount to where you could go back or to school to pursue a real job seems like a much better idea imo

And yes, I did use "real job" Unlike most people, I am unfortunately a BR grunt forced to clean up after flow,SF, Plano and deal with beating multiple goal times and metrics while only making 50 cents more than a cashier who just stands all day. Literally no praise because no one knows what we do other than "make pulls" lol. I also don't care about 99% of my coworkers. I'd would just bail the BR team out with some money, LOCU the backroom and never look back. I don't consider my job, or target in general a real job unless you're a SR TL or higher. Retail isnt' the type of work that matters enough to stick around in "just because" when you could probably be doing something more interesting. I'd rather use that money to try to get schooling to get into corporate instead of just picking up a few shifts as starbucks or SF

After some news, I'm thinking I'd take some other retail job. I don't hate the work, i like most of the people, and work is the source of like 90% of my social life rn, but I wanna get out because the money isn't good. if money was no issue, I could zone some PJs a few times a week, stare at the hot Pepsi vendor and have no worries. And I could afford frequent vacations.

I'm 22 so it'd have to be a lot of money for me to retire now.
I'd quit and go to school full time and then I'd still work. I'm really passionate about my studies and the idea of doing nothing would kill me.

Target as a corporate organization is meh but my store is my family. Been here through a challenging time in my life and I would miss them. I would definitely cut hours but would want to stay busy.

Let me say that everyone on this thread is really smart. When you win the lottery they recommend not quitting your job right away. Not because of money but because it can be a giveaway that you won to friends and family. The biggest problem for lottery winners is getting hit up by people who need money, you might think, well I will say screw them but realistically when your mom calls, baby sister calls, good friend at work needs help you are going to be inclined to want to help them, its best to do that without them knowing "There is a lot more where that came from."

Last edited:
don't consider my job, or target in general a real job unless you're a SR TL or higher

As the saying goes to each their own. You can define a real job as what you want to but I am willing to bet a lot of people here put in much more work than some of my lazy millenial engineer Amazon friends. Is it a real job because they make six figures?

A real job is consistent work where you are part of a team. Just because you may not work 9 to 5 every day at Target doesnt mean you arent putting the work in.

I am sorry things are so bad at your store you feel jilted and underappreciated but if you want to go on a rant about how being a TM is the worst thing you can do, you are preaching to the wrong crowd.

Last edited:
I'd probably go back to Softlines and cut back to part time for a while, for stability. I'd get myself a nice camera and work on my photography skills, probably get some sort of certification and quit Target once I found a job in that area. Pay off my debts, obviously.

I've dreamed about winning a huge lottery. I wouldn't quit right away. Id get my attorneys and accountants lined up and handle that legal junk first. Then I'd give my two weeks and wouldn't tell anyone I won. Finally, after I was gone, I'd go claim my winnings.

I've had this loose plan since before I joined the ranks of red and khaki.

But, you have to play to win. And I don't play.

I am living in a bit of a financial nightmare which is why I had to take a 2nd job at Target. I would quit Target in a heartbeat. All the great people I've so enjoyed have moved on in the past few months and it just isn't quite as fun anymore. I would keep my other job or find another one similar to it but with higher pay. I'd get the IRS off my back, pay off all of my debt, finance my kids' college educations and just feel financially stable and worry-free for a little bit. What a nice dream....poof! :/

Agree 100%, I wouldn't have to think about it for a second. Enough money to retire and folks are going to keep working at Target? LOL. I was out of work for ten months a couple of years ago, first time in over thirty years and I loved every freaking minute of it. I'd definitely find things to do. Even if I did decide to get a job eventually, just to keep busy, it would be something stress-free and purely enjoyable, and it would be awesome knowing that if things didn't work out, I could just quit.

Last edited:
If I could remain completely and totally anonymous I might stay on one day a week (haha, what I'm getting now) until I move, because I WOULD be moving. I'd want to get as much use out of that discount card as possible.

Back