Archived Writing TM reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips for this process? This is my first year as a TL and so I have never written a review before. Months ago I was told by my ETL-HR that myself and 2 other new TL's would get a "training" on what was expected. But seeing as I wasn't even trained to be a TL I was not counting on it. And sure enough, I was given a list of TM's and their scores and told good luck... just like my first day as TL.

My ETL-HR has made it clear that he will look at ALL of the reviews each TL writes one after the other and does not want to see ANY copy and pasting. Lame.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

@CIHYFS , this year's tm reviews are really simplified. Instead of comments under each section, you only have to write a brief summary at the end. I wrote brief statements on each tm's strengths and opps and thanked them for their work. I also included goals for each. It took maybe 5 minutes per review. The new form is pretty awesome.

Thanks! One more question... I know you said they should be quick to write. But how do you find time to do them? Do I just let the CAF pulls build up for however long it takes me? I am usually the only one in hardlines each day.... I mean I know I need to write them, so I guess just communicate with the LOD what I am doing and why CAFs aren't being pushed.

That's a tough one. I work in Starbucks, so I basically wrote them as soon as the next person came in, provided we didn't have a line. I sometimes do my computer work right after break or lunch, too. If you are the only one in HL and aren't getting a free time, partner with ETL-HR. Let him/her know you want to do them but are finding it hard with time constraints and you don't want to get busted for not doing the pulls. Backup calls can be a bitch, too.

Idk if you have a closing night but I managed to knock mine out right after my closing team came in. I honestly just made a basic outline for everyone on my alignment. Just very simple and short sentences that went straight to the point. 1. Strengths 2. Opportunities (mostly attendence and vibe because we were red for the year) 3. Copy and paste the SF core roles. Ex: "moving forward please do...whatever this years core roles are 4. Thank them for all the hard work in 2014 and can't wait to work on their development this year. You could always just write the core roles part in whatever you feel is an opportunity for the store as a whole instead of copying and pasting. ex. The amazed score being red because of the vibe so make sure you're greeting every guest!

Honestly I just copy and paste this from most of my peers because our etl-hr was an idiot and wouldn't partner with us on writing reviews.

On my closing night I sometimes get a TM at 8:00, but not always. Mostly it is just me to zone the store by myself. But now that I think about it, tomorrow me and another hardlines TL overlap so I will just have to partner with him to get some time off the floor. And I am sure that he will need some time to do his too.

Thank you all for your advice and tips on how to write a review! It is appreciated!

I wish I could get more reviews like the one I got from my ETL the first year I came back. It was blank. He hates our current review process as much as I do. As long as:

a. Reviews are done en masse rather than individually
b. Scores are limited by a budget
c. Scores are determined by a group of people that work with you less than 5% of the time you are on the clock and take absolutely 0 input from direct supervisors
d. The higher scores are automatically handed to the people who are maxed regardless of performance so they get a raise (ASANTS)

The feedback on the paper is completely worthless to me.

I wish I could get more reviews like the one I got from my ETL the first year I came back. It was blank. He hates our current review process as much as I do. As long as:

a. Reviews are done en masse rather than individually
b. Scores are limited by a budget
c. Scores are determined by a group of people that work with you less than 5% of the time you are on the clock and take absolutely 0 input from direct supervisors
d. The higher scores are automatically handed to the people who are maxed regardless of performance so they get a raise (ASANTS)

The feedback on the paper is completely worthless to me.

I like the cut of your ETLs jib.
Honesty, how refreshing.

I wrote all my cashier reviews already. We split all our cashiers between 2 GSTL's and all their reviews are written already. They've been done for at least 2 weeks now...

I was down to 12 team members when i started writing mines now im back up to 21. I feel like i luck out on this lol

I wrote all my cashier reviews already. We split all our cashiers between 2 GSTL's and all their reviews are written already. They've been done for at least 2 weeks now...

I wanna another GSTL too. Need that help fighting off my etl log from taking hours

I wanna another GSTL too. Need that help fighting off my etl log from taking hours
back in the day we had 4 gstl's but then they got rid of 2 and replaced them with 2 gsa's. then took one of them and made them sales floor TL so we only had 1 for a while. then i got pulled from sales floor eventually and put up front to help get our vibe score to green. i think all etl-log's are hour hogs. we have that problem at our store too... since she is there at 330am and takes all the call offs, she takes the hours and gives them to her team instead of filling the workcenter that had the call off...

back in the day we had 4 gstl's but then they got rid of 2 and replaced them with 2 gsa's. then took one of them and made them sales floor TL so we only had 1 for a while. then i got pulled from sales floor eventually and put up front to help get our vibe score to green. i think all etl-log's are hour hogs. we have that problem at our store too... since she is there at 330am and takes all the call offs, she takes the hours and gives them to her team instead of filling the workcenter that had the call off...

Our's actually schedule them as cashiers then pull them for pulls and to finish the truck. I found it weird when i had 4 cashiers at 8am smh nothing against him he is great but really its not that serious. Especially when my GSAs have 1 cashier at night and can not call in anyone since we are "cutting" hrs

Our's actually schedule them as cashiers then pull them for pulls and to finish the truck. I found it weird when i had 4 cashiers at 8am smh nothing against him he is great but really its not that serious. Especially when my GSAs have 1 cashier at night and can not call in anyone since we are "cutting" hrs
oh that's shitty. we only ever have one opening cashier but to schedule them under one workcenter and then use them in another? why don't they just schedule them under truck unload??

i have been wondering lately... at my store the front end has to push SSS and candy (autos and truck) every morning... those things are forecasted into the flow hours yet they just drop it off up front for us to push. i think on wednesday morning i am challenging my ETL-log on this. i want those hours so that my SSS can actually be zoned and pushed and my candy can be full again. (my log also told me that she has tons of candy in the backroom but it is my job to research it... um don't we have an instocks team???)

oh that's shitty. we only ever have one opening cashier but to schedule them under one workcenter and then use them in another? why don't they just schedule them under truck unload??

i have been wondering lately... at my store the front end has to push SSS and candy (autos and truck) every morning... those things are forecasted into the flow hours yet they just drop it off up front for us to push. i think on wednesday morning i am challenging my ETL-log on this. i want those hours so that my SSS can actually be zoned and pushed and my candy can be full again. (my log also told me that she has tons of candy in the backroom but it is my job to research it... um don't we have an instocks team???)

Pog push our candy for me every tuesday i love those old ladies bless them.

Instocks team? Oh wait, are you talking about the re-shop/4x4/back-up cashing team? These days, instocks is lucky to get through their sales floor tasks, let alone the checklanes.

my instocks team gets their stuff done every week. my etl-log makes sure that her workcenter is 100% every week.

Pog push our candy for me every tuesday i love those old ladies bless them.

my pog team doesn't even set checklane endcaps. hell, the last time gum reset they set it a week late when they are NEVER late on anything. literally checklane gum was the ONLY pog not set that week. no one even mentioned it to us. after I sent an email to etl-log, plano tl, and the stl.. it was set first thing monday morning... late. what's funny is they started the following weeks work and left that pog... hoping we would get to it.

my instocks team gets their stuff done every week. my etl-log makes sure that her workcenter is 100% every week.

my pog team doesn't even set checklane endcaps. hell, the last time gum reset they set it a week late when they are NEVER late on anything. literally checklane gum was the ONLY pog not set that week. no one even mentioned it to us. after I sent an email to etl-log, plano tl, and the stl.. it was set first thing monday morning... late. what's funny is they started the following weeks work and left that pog... hoping we would get to it.

That sucks our PPTL is my mentor so she always help out just like I help her out as well with anything she needs. Myself and the SFTL always help her get the TWT done because all the help her team does for us.

Instocks team? Oh wait, are you talking about the re-shop/4x4/back-up cashing team? These days, instocks is lucky to get through their sales floor tasks, let alone the checklanes.
At my store the instocks team is constantly pulled in many different directions...yet still expected to get their work done...most of the time they do...and yes they scan the check lanes cause I have had to pull the batches before.

That sucks our PPTL is my mentor so she always help out just like I help her out as well with anything she needs. Myself and the SFTL always help her get the TWT done because all the help her team does for us.

my team is very segregated. plano is in their own world and i swear they are seen as gods by the executives. even though they are supposed to come in at 8am so that there are people on the floor to help our guests, they get to come in at 4am and not respond to backup calls. pricing comes in at 8am and responds to almost all backup calls. even though our plano TL is in charge of pricing too, she treats them like crap and will steal someone to help with pog work.

At my store the instocks team is constantly pulled in many different directions...yet still expected to get their work done...most of the time they do...and yes they scan the check lanes cause I have had to pull the batches before.

yeah ours has been empty since xmas and apparently it is the front ends job to make sure it gets scanned and pulled. how am i supposed to drive redcards and vibe if i am in the backroom pulling batches???

Any tips for this process? This is my first year as a TL and so I have never written a review before. Months ago I was told by my ETL-HR that myself and 2 other new TL's would get a "training" on what was expected. But seeing as I wasn't even trained to be a TL I was not counting on it. And sure enough, I was given a list of TM's and their scores and told good luck... just like my first day as TL.

My ETL-HR has made it clear that he will look at ALL of the reviews each TL writes one after the other and does not want to see ANY copy and pasting. Lame.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!
In my last two stores, there are so many allocated top rank scores then the rest are fillers. All the Execs and TL get together and discuss which Team Members they like best, then the others get regular mid range scores.

All you really is basically fill your TM reviews based off the scores.

Last edited:
my team is very segregated. plano is in their own world and i swear they are seen as gods by the executives. even though they are supposed to come in at 8am so that there are people on the floor to help our guests, they get to come in at 4am and not respond to backup calls. pricing comes in at 8am and responds to almost all backup calls. even though our plano TL is in charge of pricing too, she treats them like crap and will steal someone to help with pog work.

yeah ours has been empty since xmas and apparently it is the front ends job to make sure it gets scanned and pulled. how am i supposed to drive redcards and vibe if i am in the backroom pulling batches???[/QUOTE
This is the new way of Spot...expect more....and well you know the rest

yeah ours has been empty since xmas and apparently it is the front ends job to make sure it gets scanned and pulled. how am i supposed to drive redcards and vibe if i am in the backroom pulling batches???

Wow i completely forgot other stores backroom dont pull there batches or backstock im glad my store doesnt do that. Plus since the etl log from before quit (some young fresh college degree girl) and the former sr.tl for flow who had transfered and moved up became our Etl-log now (all within this past week) and our new brtl the changes they have done is amazing but still fighing for my front end hours(I understand his motive but dude all next week and week after your getting my hopes up with seeing 4 cashiers every morning not cool). Still he is improving plus the backroom is closed to non backroom Tms not including tls and etls obviously

Last edited:
I wrote my 1/2 of the reviews a couple weeks ago. I just got handed 18 more because my cotl is out on loa. I have a standard template of department goals for 2015, I wrote an individual blurb on each, starting with strengths, and then opportunities. I thanked them all at the end. I asked my etl to help me or and give me time off the floor to finish them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back