Archived Your STL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If shelves are empty i feel like it's still not on the STL to fix that. Where's the ETL over that area...matter of fact...where's the TL over that area? And with smart huddles being huge just because the STL is gonna be there doesn't make sense to me but to each its own. I do agree if an STL is gonna show up to a smart huddle they should put in a little grunt work but if they're not being seen it doesn't mean they're not working. If an STL is constantly doing an ETL task or TM task then why are they getting paid as much as they are? In addition to this if an STL was always around and started to correct things that they saw then I feel like they'd go from the person that never worked and was lazy to instead now being called the micro manager and person that thinks they know it all.

TL promoted and was one foot out the door and the ETL was to busy with her face in her phone ordering lunch with the sorority bitches. So it went empty. Really empty. And what I mean is that you better understand what jobs entail, telling me a three hour task is 15min is bullshit and shows you have NO working knowledge and you are not to respected. And that you will have no grasp of time and will end with completely unrealistic goals.

He's pretty bad. Has a "bully big brother" vibe about him, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Can't be bothered with TM issues, valid as they may be. He's spending more time in his office, which is good and bad.

Our previous STL was amazing. She treated everyone the same, regardless of position, and treated everyone with respect. For months I didn't even know she was our STL, because she didn't walk around like Queen Big Sh*t throwing her weight around.

Mine was a his way or the highway kind of guy. Really not a pleasure to work with at all. Didn't take criticism well, either. Just transferred, so we'll see how it goes at my new location

Our current STL devotes 50% floor, 25% meetings and 25% computer. This is great albeit when a STL is not on the floor, remember they cannot tell you what needs to be fixed. ;)

In addition to presence, we have had some STLs who were very personable and others who sucked. Even a STL who is hardly around but always asks about your current life-whether school load, family, or other job-is better than a STL who is arrogant and is seen in-store.

Ours is a nice man and a good worker but...he really doesn't know much about softlines. At all. He doesn't uderstand why having two closers on an extremely busy Friday or Saturday night is a terrible idea.

Ours is a nice man and a good worker but...he really doesn't know much about softlines. At all. He doesn't uderstand why having two closers on an extremely busy Friday or Saturday night is a terrible idea.
Granted, pretty much anyone who doesn't work Softlines has no clue how it works. Same goes for the food areas, especially Deli, Starbucks, and Food Ave.

I think we have one of the hardest working STLs in Target. Dude even does some 16 hour days to help logistics as we are between ETLS. Never takes vacations. I think he's a workaholic for sure.

Some of the ETLS talk crap about him and I get it... He's nerdy, around 15 years older than them, he works too much, and isn't a charismatic leader (although he's a really friendly guy). I would run through a wall for him though, love how he gets his hands dirty and nothing is beneath him. You will see him picking up those stupid post it note sale signs like no other. Not because he's trying to impress DTL but that's the kind of guy he is. Another trait he has is he recognizes when TMs go the extra mile, overseeing a big store I feel like it would be easy to miss the little things people do but he does. I hope he stays a long time, great guy.

Edit* Like a lot of you guys we have the sorority row pack of ETLS as qwll. Having a mature adult to offset some of the childish things that happen among them is really great.

Last edited:
ALL pants/shirts/dresses should be on HANGERS.

He's pretty bad. Has a "bully big brother" vibe about him, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Can't be bothered with TM issues, valid as they may be. He's spending more time in his office, which is good and bad.

Our previous STL was amazing. She treated everyone the same, regardless of position, and treated everyone with respect. For months I didn't even know she was our STL, because she didn't walk around like Queen Big Sh*t throwing her weight around.

Love your post about a good STL being so humble you don't realize their title. If you walked into my store and saw dude work you would think hes a TL dad scrapping to put his daughters through school. Sometimes when guest are angry and want the STL they don't believe he is it lol.

I hear this and I think that's what's tough if you're an STL you have each department in your ear telling you they need more.

I appreciate though when my STL doesn't understand something he delegates it well, our softlines ETL has three TLS and they close with as many as four on the weekends.

I hear this and I think that's what's tough if you're an STL you have each department in your ear telling you they need more.

I appreciate though when my STL doesn't understand something he delegates it well, our softlines ETL has three TLS and they close with as many as four on the weekends.
Damn I wish we had a seperase ETL for softlines. Ever since the economy crapped out my store got rid of that position but our sales floor team lead is still really good at softlines. She's the best closer to have if you're in that area a lot like I am

Our current STL spends 90% of her time in her office gaggling away with the other ETLs. She recently went on vacation for a little over a week, and I didn't even notice that she was gone until about 6 days in because even if she wasn't on vacation you would never know without looking at the ETL schedule. I'd love to be able to go into detail about every single reason why she is an incompetent leader that is running the store into the ground, but I fear that some of it is unique enough that it might give away my location.

Suffice to say, there's a reason why our DTL does a surprise visit at least once a week. Rumor has it that she and another ETL is under investigation.

Our current Stl is a huge disappointment. When she first came to us I was impressed. She actually would walk up to tms and carry a conversation.She was always in the store. She was constantly asking us ( tm) for feedback on how things could be done better. She would sit in the breakroom and make conversation. She would ask about our families and tell us about hers. Now, she will walk right by you and never speak. IF she does speak its because she is walking with another etl and they speak and its almost as if they shame her into speaking. She sits in the break room but usually with the other etls and IF you happen to be in there its so uncomfortable .She is hardly ever in the store, when she does open ( ie the first on there in the morning to open the door for tms) she shows up right at 6 am. Which means by the time she walks ( oh so slowly) across the parking lot...fumbles for her keys in her purse...lets us in...its almost 5 after by the time you clock in. She does do some work. Build salesplanners etc. However, if she does we hear about it for weeks to come. So, for all I care she can work Mon through Fri 9-5 and just keep her butt in her office. Shes not doing anyone any good stepping outsideof it anyways. When we have a big visit she will walk around talking about how stressed she is . Hmm...I don't care. Im stressed about how I am going to pay my bills when My hours get cut . You get paid to deal with the stress .....so stress away.

Last edited:
Damn I wish we had a seperase ETL for softlines. Ever since the economy crapped out my store got rid of that position but our sales floor team lead is still really good at softlines. She's the best closer to have if you're in that area a lot like I am
My store doesn't have a separate ETL for softlines and hardlines, but we do have two TLs in each area, and that seems to work fine.

My STL is awful and we are forever butting heads. She used to not bother me much, as I'm the signing TM and she doesn't know much. My logistics ETL always had my back. Then he left for better things and we got a new one in who is useless. All he does is spy on us. My STL is now breathing down my neck, to the point of telling me what signing to put up and deciding whether or not I need a mydevice, even though I need one to, you know, know where the damn signing goes and audit new sets.

STL is terrible..... Let's just say many many people have bailed because of the STL. The old STL was great new STL not so great....... I suppose it doesn't help the new STL isn't as involved as the old STL so that really doesn't help things.

I'm gonna play devils advocate.....for all the comments saying the STL isn't...

My old stl helped. There's just more respect from TMs when they see their leaders can do the grunt work with the peons (I say this as a peon). My old stl wasn't perfect either, but there was something about him that made you feel like he gave somewhat of a shit about you and about the work.

Also, with all the hour cuts, TMs quitting, call outs, it seems weird for an stl or etl to stand around or walk around in circles. Sometimes my stl stands at the lanes talking to other leaders and then he'll call for backup. My old stl would've jumped on as he was calling.

So in conclusion, I prob wouldn't give it a second thought if I didn't have someone to compare him to.

STL is annoying, but not even because he doesn't do grunt work. He's condescending and sometimes doesn't realize what's plausible when he gives orders. And he said that whole thing about us working harder when we have shorter shifts. Which means my hours are low because he has a (false) belief that it gives us a better sense of urgency. It doesn't. It makes me go in already defeated. "Oh, I can't finish this in 4 hours. Cool." We don't see him that often, but I consider that a win. At one point he was doing half his time at another store that didn't have an stl or something. I think he may be doing that again.

i had a horrible stl. he was good on numbers, but you could never satisfy him. hey we made sales by 20% and you were closing lod, why does the store look like shit. current is awesome. he'll still call out stuff but in a way stl is talking about this, shit we need to address and fix it right now. drop everything and fix it.

well from my statement, i can honestly say for my store if they didnt help, the STL and ETLs we'd be screwed we need all the hands. HOWEVER! the STL nor the ETLS should have to lift a finger. in fact i believe they arent supposed to help at all as it takes hours away from TMs who could be doing the job. the clipboard thing is more like she shields herself, and doesnt speak directly to TMs which, no, she doesnt have to. To me at least she should as that severs a line of communication. but thats my 2 cents.

Don't have one. Ours bailed. :(

Was so so though. Very helpful and friendly, but was more interested in shopping on shift then helping push for example.
HOWEVER! the STL nor the ETLS should have to lift a finger. in fact i believe they arent supposed to help at alls.

Nonsense, in retail there is no such thing as too much help, there is always something to do. If they shouldnt lift a finger why have an ETL?

Hahahaha my last STL had no problem going up for backup if she was able to and neither does my current one. Shit. My last STL completely covered guest services when we had a bad snowstorm and there were only three other team members who were able to make it (myself included and none of which were GS trained)
I'm really glad my store doesn't have any of the "stand around and gossip while doing nothing" ETLs though. Even the one everyone butts heads with is always doing something. We had ONE guy who would stand around and play with his phone during working huddles but that shit doesn't sit well at my store at all and he had the option of either quitting or getting fired

and deciding whether or not I need a mydevice, even though I need one to, you know, know where the damn signing goes and audit new sets.
Jesus christ that's like telling someone on POG making labels that they don't need to use the printer.
Is the equipment cabinet unlocked or something? Or are they trying to cracking down on people not taking it all and hiding it but doing it in a way that doesn't work?

Jesus christ that's like telling someone on POG making labels that they don't need to use the printer.
Is the equipment cabinet unlocked or something? Or are they trying to cracking down on people not taking it all and hiding it but doing it in a way that doesn't work?

No that is the had equipment problems somewhere and STL is paranoid. Maybe not at that store but somewhere that STL had his ass handed to them over equipment issues.

Nonsense, in retail there is no such thing as too much help, there is always something to do. If they shouldnt lift a finger why have an ETL?

I think the point here is a great ETL will setup their area so they don't really have to be in it once they get it there. For example, the best ETL-SF will have such good TL's in HL and SL (who own the areas) that all they have to do is check in with them to find out how things are running. This is the ideal situation because ETL's come and go, but TLs usually stay in role a bit longer. This makes the workcenter itself more stable. I always say to ETLs if they think they are good, "Do you think you can almost completely step away for a month and go help cover another store, and then come back and not have a mess to clean up? If yes then you are doing great, if no then you have more work to do."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back