Archived Zoning Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've worked a couple hardlines shifts and I've also been asked to zone when the front end slows down. I know the basics (cover diamonds, pull two items forward/make the shelf appear full, pick up trash, collect reshop), but I can't seem to zone in a timely manner. My ETL-SF recommended spending an average of ten minutes in each valley, and I've tried setting timers for myself, but I continually miss them. It doesn't help that I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I spend extra time when I probably don't need to. What can I do to go faster? I'd really like to work on the floor more often, but I know that won't happen unless I get better at zoning.

Don't be a perfectionist, that's what slows you down. You need to move quickly but like redzee mentioned, be accurate. I hate to say it but don't overdo the guest interaction, get to call boxes but if you look busy and work quickly, sometimes guest will leave you alone to do what you need to do.

The rest is just repetition, sales floor positions are about familiarity, the more you do it the better you will get at it.

At my store, we're told to just make things look good at a glance. I have a bad habit of spending a lot of time zoning, but it's usually when I've finished my normal workload and volunteered to be an extra set of hands.

Go with the 10 minute time limit. At the start, just look at the major flaws (re-shop, knocked over boxes, grossly overpushed DPCI's) and fix those first. Whatever time is left over, pull stuff forward. Once 10 minutes hits, move on.

Use two hands. Really, it's something simple but a lot of people forget. If you're using two hands it makes it easier and quicker. September is a hard month because they're basically rushing you off the door as soon as we close, like the other says spend 10 minutes per isle. Pick up, put items forward and move on.

Pick up reshop start of shift and returning from breaks and work them as you go
Hit the bulk items and less hit areas first
Then work your more detailed areas. HSA, Towels

Use two hands. Really, it's something simple but a lot of people forget. If you're using two hands it makes it easier and quicker.

I still remember when a former TL gave me this advice and I thought he was just being a smartass. But he was right; it really does help.

Also, make sure you have a shopping cart for your strays and defectives, and if you have a MyDevice, keep it in a holster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back