Archived 10 years... goodbye... how Target has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we're as bad as a "few years ahead of KMart". Kmart is truly in the shitter, having made only $12 billion in sales last year compared to Target's $72 billion. While I agree that this very well may be the beginning of the end, I think it will take at least a decade before Target is in a position that is at all comparable to Kmart's.

I don't think we're as bad as a "few years ahead of KMart". Kmart is truly in the shitter, having made only $12 billion in sales last year compared to Target's $72 billion. While I agree that this very well may be the beginning of the end, I think it will take at least a decade before Target is in a position that is at all comparable to Kmart's.

I believe that some point Target will have to pull a Macy's and start closing stores. Not just a few of them like in past years, but a good chunk of them.

In order to give shareholders (the top of the food chain) the rate of return that they DEMAND, lower performing stores will need to be cut; even when they are profitable.

Also, retailing is changing. Stores are becoming more of a showplace, and not really where folks go to buy things. Yeah, there are still people that prefer the whole tactile experience, but more and more are doing their shopping through electronic means. In order for Target to survive in a meaningful way, it needs to get its electronic house in order: inventory systems, POS, pda, security, ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was with a couple other companies when the recession hit, and I can say this entire post could be transposed into an open letter format with the company name changed or omitted and properly be addressing so many retail businesses.

Retail used to be fun. I still enjoy aspects of it, but retailers that are staffed with appropriate resources for succeeding in all levels are scant any longer.

I used to wonder if the general American population would remember the poor service from the companies that used the recession as an excuse to pinch the budget to the point of exasperating the employees and customers, but the example of companies that did not do this are virtually non existent.

Glad to hear you made a move toward your own happiness, OP!

And there's a witch's brew of shampoo, detergent, spaghetti sauce, bleach, ammonia and Christ knows what else that has broken and mixed. And you've got an unload deadline,a bunch of newbies and a bunch of call-outs. Corporate doesn't know this life nor do they respect us. Insurance? No. Living wage? Never again. Do our work? PAH. Weaklings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back