MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
How is that going to work if say 90% of softlines wants to switch positions. What if the front end and market want to shiffle to. I do not envy any leader with this mess going on at all. I think its completely improbable to expect no terminations with the changes coming on. We all know how reliable higher ups are when they make "promises" I kinda hate we are a test store especially being on the smaller end when it comes to square footage and head count. Its already got my anxiety hitting epic levels.

Base can have 3-5 leaders and 8-19 leads depending on store needs and not including HR and AP which are excluded from head count.
This, the point of the models is to make sure everyone has the important leads and leaders without having too many. instead of having a ton of etls and tls you have what you need to lead and more hours go towards having more experts.

I hope you're joking. I've been in electronics for over 3 years. A seasonal that worked at fye before hand making more then me? Nope, not gonna fly

It's not a joke, it's just the new names for these positions under the PILOT.

BUT yes I would expect for specialty departments to still have a bump over other departments. Although with Target's commitment to get to $15 in less than 2 years, I see less importance in it personally.

It's not a joke, it's just the new names for these positions under the PILOT.

BUT yes I would expect for specialty departments to still have a bump over other departments. Although with Target's commitment to get to $15 in less than 2 years, I see less importance in it personally.

I know of the different titles, but an expert shouldn't get paid more then an enthusiast that's been there as long as I have, not to mention when said person comes to me with questions most of the time, it proves my point, lol.

What's interesting, though, is the bargaining power this brings. Are you a GSTL whose sick of the front end? When they offer you the new GSTL-like position, you can say no. Logistics ETL whose been dying to get off overnights? Here's your ticket to freedom. To an extent, of course. Ultimatums can and I'm sure will eventually be made.
I am currently the replenishment team lead and I was asked to be the service and experience lead in our store. That was the last place I was expecting to land. But if we are moving to a service and sales model at Target and I want to promote then I'm jumping at the chance to help create what this new position will look like. Stores that have lagged behind getting on program are going to find this change very difficult. The ones that have embraced E2E from the beginning will find this much easier. As our GVP has said. Either you are on the bus or you are being left behind. Because the bus is moving whether you want it too or not.

Some people are better at doing menial tasks, others are better at interacting with guests. Finding someone who excels at both is pretty difficult. So we're going to end up with a lot of people who are good at one thing, but terrible at another, and the process is going to fall apart. That's how it is at my store. We have two backroom TMs who just do pulls and backstock, and do it fast and efficiently. No talking, no messing around on their phones, just listening to a bit of music and working.
For $15/hr you are going to be expected to blend service and tasks. That's just the reality moving forward. And if you can't then there will be a lot more people who will be interested in the job for that much money vs what they used to hire people on at. $15/hr isn't a merit increase. It's an expectation increase. The expectations will be much higher for everyone under this new OP model.

I'm a little concerned since my store is over TL headcount by one and I'm the "extra". My position doesn't exist in my store, so it should be interesting to see what happens to me. The closest store in my district is 70 miles away, so it's not really feasible for me to transfer if it came down to it.

For those of you in the test stores, are you being given a choice as to what area you go to, or are you just being assigned? I'm just curious because our store is giving everyone choices, but another store in the district is just assigning everyone.

Our flow team was dismantled last week. But pog and pricing still exist.

We also had a visit today and they started talking about in and out areas. Is this part of the pilot?

Alright so I heard at work today that for stores doing the pilot, team leaders (or leads) are now going to have set schedules, no wiggle room, no exceptions. I just accepted the new beauty & tech lead position, and they haven't really told me anything yet. But they all knew full well that I am still in college and i even said it in my interview, and I'm not going to be okay with the option for a flexible schedule taken away. I can work full time but I'd I need to work in the morning some days or a night other days like other team leaders were able to do. So is this true?

For those of you in the test stores, are you being given a choice as to what area you go to, or are you just being assigned? I'm just curious because our store is giving everyone choices, but another store in the district is just assigning everyone.
the guide gives you direction for example pog and pricing should fold over to GM since style has already been around. but most of the decisions are up to the Director (STL)

I think this is very doable at the store level if the truck unload is correct. Until the DC is modernized this is all just corporate talk. I spend at least 0.5% of my teams weekly hours solving DC issues and that doesn't include the RFID or RIGs process hours.

At the store level the only way I see this working is baseloading TM that are good, and doing what we're not supposed to do which is allocating hours based on performance for anyone within their 90 days. It won't matter if you just need a body, get under performers out before they hit 90 days, or you're really screwed. Anyone that skates by on manager sympathy is out. NCNS immediate CCA, none of this well it's their first offence BS. It's retail, but the way this is going it doesn't allow managers to throw people at a problem.

This is a load flow problem and a big change to corporate culture. The stores that are adaptable will probably do fine, but if you're stuck on "this is how it has always been," this is going to be a rude awaking even more than E2E was.

I've seen the difference between what an effective and useless E2E process looks like just from having a single manager be different.

If each tm is an expert in an area, will there be less cross trained tms?

Right now I'm working on cross training like crazy, not less. It means the workcenters I'm in charge of are 2% under on the hours used regularly, we're green, and I'm getting TMs 32-36 for full time open availability, 18-25 for part time availability a week and scheduling them in a way so if they are on the low end they can pick up the most commonly available shifts that go on the swap shift board. If your an expert you should be able to find similarities when shifts are available, but theoretically callouts should go down.

Stores aren't just going to boot everyone who isn't able to keep up. They aren't doing that now, even with mountains of backstock and push still on the floor.

Last I heard, at least in my district, one of the main retention metrics for HR is being ignored for this process until the store finds the right balance. If they aren't using that as a reason to boot people that can't keep up then the managers need to be booted.

Last edited:
Alright so I heard at work today that for stores doing the pilot, team leaders (or leads) are now going to have set schedules, no wiggle room, no exceptions. I just accepted the new beauty & tech lead position, and they haven't really told me anything yet. But they all knew full well that I am still in college and i even said it in my interview, and I'm not going to be okay with the option for a flexible schedule taken away. I can work full time but I'd I need to work in the morning some days or a night other days like other team leaders were able to do. So is this true?
Well, who said ‘no wiggle room, no exceptions’?

not sure if this was mentioned but General Merch will modernize as far as departments, example 1 GM over toys and stationary with dedicated tms in those areas, they are to be scheduled under pricing,presentation, and signing whenever transitions or price changes happen by their leader, and same for the GM's under other blocks. it will be similar to how end to end started for the sales floor. (there is rumor of toys being the next big modernization with toys r us gone)

It is. Go to Pilots on Workbench to see Toys Nextgen

There are only LODs on the weekend. Any issue during the weekdays will be directed to the highest ranking Lead(er) in the store of that department.

wait so if there's no leader in the building, do you just talk to any lead? i'm just confused about how this structure is going to work

Why do I feel like changes like this comes with a dress code change too

I dunno - it might be kinda cool...

Model-Walking-On-Ramp-In-Red-Weird-Dress-Funny-Picture.jpg

I'm not in a pilot, but I thought all TLs already had set schedules. Aside from fri/sat/sun, I work the same shifts mon-thurs. The only time my schedule changes is to accommodate for someone else's time off. So I might open on my normal day off or close a different night.

I'm not in a pilot, but I thought all TLs already had set schedules. Aside from fri/sat/sun, I work the same shifts mon-thurs. The only time my schedule changes is to accommodate for someone else's time off. So I might open on my normal day off or close a different night.
I think generally if you have open availability then your shifts will be the same. But there's a girl who's a tl at my store who's been going to college and she works all sorts of different times and has even been on leave a couple times for internships.

Back