MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't do SFS or OPU.

Thing is, as a Softlines worker I'm now spending at least 20% of my time helping those folks find SL.

I'm supposed to be pushing SL freight but again, I spend 25% of my time helping guests find things and being helpful in general.

I'm supposed to be pushing SL freight but again, I spend 10% of my time backing up on the lanes.

This Modernization idea of stocking while we are open is not working out in favor of the guests. Nor for me, really.

It seems like my store might be in the minority, but, as long as A+A breakout is complete, we finish our truck push, plus all the other shit they expect us to do. The only exception, at times, is VMGs. But, my STL is throwing a shit ton of hours to A+A.

Shocking what proper payroll can do. 🙄

Last edited:
It seems like my store might be in the minority, but, as long as A+A breakout is complete, we finish our truck push, plus all the other shit they expect us to do. The only exception, at times, is VMGs. But, my STL is throwing a shit ton of hours to A+A.

Shocking what proper payroll can do. 🙄

Same. I'm the srtl for a&a at my store.The only price change that I've rolled is when the backroom doesn't do the pulls. A vehicle or 2 might roll if that department prioritized a brand problem instead. Our vmgs are up to date. Backstock always done. We get the payroll that we need.

Our brand isnt where my stl wants it. She wants perfect folds with size stickers lined up and everything finger spaced always. Being high volume, 30% of our sales is a&a and the foot traffic we get... it seems impossible.

My store is currently in the part of modernization where you schedule inbound tm’s for 5am in mytime then have them come in at midnight and push the truck. Been this way since Black Friday. It’s nice, but wonder how long we can get away with it 👀

I'm sure someone in AP knows. How can one not notice the notifications they get about alarm points being bypassed? Lighting being overridden?

l-m-a-o corporate probably be logging into your store’s cameras and seeing all these TMs being productive in the closed store...if you listen hard you can hear their howls of anguish all the way from Minnesota

HQ: *grumblegrumble* "How dare they complete their tasks of Replenishing the floor and Backstocking properly in an efficient and timely manner."

Modernization tactics mean we’re working with more of a skeleton crew now than we were in Q1 of last year, and my store is known for hiring (and scheduling) the absolute bare minimum necessary to keep the store functional enough to remain open. But sure, tell me how the MyCheckout is going to save us when we only schedule a single hardlines closer per night basically in the two weeks before Christmas (which has resulted in many guests leaving frustrated cause they couldn’t find anyone to help them since the lone HL team member is usually pulled for backup cashiering).

Modernization tactics mean we’re working with more of a skeleton crew now than we were in Q1 of last year, and my store is known for hiring (and scheduling) the absolute bare minimum necessary to keep the store functional enough to remain open. But sure, tell me how the MyCheckout is going to save us when we only schedule a single hardlines closer per night basically in the two weeks before Christmas (which has resulted in many guests leaving frustrated cause they couldn’t find anyone to help them since the lone HL team member is usually pulled for backup cashiering).
Sounds like your store mismanaged payroll. It’s not modernization.

Sounds like your store mismanaged payroll. It’s not modernization.
Oh, undoubtedly. Modernization could be great for our store but they let store politics (one TL vs another) get in the way, and then when they’re confronted about bungling payroll they try to claim this is what we’re moving towards schedule-wise with modernization just to cover their asses. That’s why I added the “tactics” bit. Anyone on TBR would know what’s up instantly and see through the BS, but virtually no one from my store is. My STL is among the ones that thinks having no operator at the fitting room period (not even zoning nearby) is a good idea, despite clarification on that from as high as the APBP because they can’t be bothered to read through all the guidelines about implementing modernization and actually getting it to work.

Every other year I’ve been here we all converged on toys first thing after the unload to get it pushed ASAP. Now they have specific people (not enough) scheduled over there and they balked when I suggested we gang up on it like we were doing in previous years. Yes let’s stick 4 people in the busiest department in the store on a busy Friday and Saturday with Christmas around the corner, what could possibly go wrong. One of the stupider ideas in a long string of stupid ideas.

Edit: Oh and they’re all seasonal noobs without Zebras so enjoy the extra backstock since they can’t find second locations lmao

We get the payroll that we need.

Our brand isnt where my stl wants it. She wants perfect folds with size stickers lined up and everything finger spaced always. Being high volume, 30% of our sales is a&a and the foot traffic we get... it seems impossible.

Sounds like you don't get the payroll that you need. Or, there is performance issues...

Or they get the payroll they need, just not the payroll to do the things the STL *wants*. Presentation is big, but at the end of the day we're a discount retailer. Product just needs to be on the shelf, where it belongs, and people will come in to buy it. You aren't making more sales by having everything folded neatly than you're losing by blowing payroll on something as absurd as that.

This! My team has no problems keeping tables folded throughout the day. But folding them to where every single shirt/pant is perfectly lined up is time consuming. I prioritize spending extra time with guests vs standing in one spot with the folding table.

The fact that spot is making stores pay back all the payroll overspend from Dec Wk 1 and 2 is honesty wild to me. Saturday night December 8th, the company was OVER 1.14 Million hours of payroll out of a 46.4 Million hour total. This week the overall company is down to being 668k over.

Sales are on a steady incline but we can't seem to consistently allocate payroll to stores?

Also as for all the talk abt Target and modernization going in the toilet? Company store comp is up 4.46% YTD with higher comps in high-margin categories. So all these end-of-days posts abt Target needing to shape up before we become Sears need to calm tf down.

Flow Centers are coming and then we will finally get the each-level-replenishment we deserve (and hanging comes pre-hung for Softlines!!1!!11), but Target can't just drop billions on reinventing the wheel. Change takes times and reinventing a global supply chain to support just-in-time logistics is something that no one, not even Amazon, has nailed.

Oh and for everyone complaining about "not having Backroom space". I have 27 aisles of light duty, 4 aisles of bulk, and 4 aisles for softlinks/baby at a $56 MILLION DOLLAR STORE. Luckily we have an offsite so when guests order items located at our offsite, we have to ghost fulfill the order, email the guest informing them of the delay, call the offsite to request the item, have it delivered and put into hold by an offsite TM on the next scheduled delivery, then pray that guest service can find it in the pile on the floor called SD001.

I think switching store teams to the new process, which if I understand correctly, is designed to receive eaches and hanging softlines, first is a headscratcher. Someone up the command chain knew what q4 was going to look like payroll and truck wise yet still decided to move ahead with it. I'd like to understand why the planning didn't involve switching the dc first. Upstream seems like the logical first step so the flow of change rolls out A-B-C. I feel like we started C. (These are made up steps, btw.)

I am not an end of days thinker. I think Target has a fan base that will stick it out. But, having said that even I am starting to let the often empty shelves get into my head and make me go elsewhere first sometimes. That is the one thing that concerns me the most. Target only has to be out of someone's essentials a few times and a guest will think twice before wasting time again. Had corp rolled out the process the other way stores could have adjusted to the change in real time vs. making stores change over to teams that are meant to work with a shipping process that hasn't changed.

Bottom line, imho, is why are the guests the ones who have to suffer through this change over? Empty shelves and workers in the way are a turn off and seem so at odds with the upscale discount store corp also seems to want. What am I missing??

Back