MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
TMs would be open to change if the process had streamlined the workload to justify the hour cuts. It hasn't.

The unload process is basically the same it has been for at least 20 years. The only major change I can think of is that they no longer have to scan in trucks piece by piece and mark "push/backstock" as they go. This was changed several years before E2E.

Sorting by department is basically the same. You still have to take the case off the line and place it on the designated cart. Since the process was moved to dayside, pallets have been replaced with flats and uboats. This means there's more carts to put cases on to and more tracking required. This also translates to more time spent as running freight to the floor takes MANY more trips.

As stores transition to receiving more repacks of individual pieces, this process will take much longer as the stores will now have to either:
a) Sort those repacks in the backroom by aisle (or 2-3 aisles) so they can stock them more quickly on the floor.
b) Attempt to take a flat of repacks on the floor and work them out there. This means FAR more steps as you might have items from different ends of toys in the same repack.
In my opinion, this part is the worst for Modernization. It's basically turning half of the truck into a giant autofill and has the added bonus of making the DC end take much longer.

Moving almost all flow processes to a daytime shift and eliminating standard salesfloor TMs means all of this now has to be done at the same time as helping guests, backup cashiering, cleaning spills, etc.

Removing the backroom team means too many hands are now involved in the stockroom. This results in a far higher error rate in BRLA and makes any process for finding stock for the floor and SFS take significantly harder. And you can't pin it on the Backroom TL (if the store still has one) because you can't hold a single person responsible for the actions of every idiot with a PDA that walks back there. A dedicated backroom team is a necessity.

The concept of "everyone owns an area" like it's a new thing is laughable because any flow and sales floor ETL/TL who was halfway smart kept dedicated people in each area LONG before Modernization. You don't want a person to go from stocking toys one night to HBA the next to furniture the next and so on. You want your teams to know their assigned areas inside and out. Done right, they develop a sense of pride over time. It also makes accountability far easier. If bedding is consistently stocked wrong and only 1-2 people do bedding, it's easier to figure out who's messing up than if you have a revolving door of people every night.

That's enough for now and I didn't even address how badly this effects pricing and planogram teams too; not to mention fixtures and signing.
^This! Thank you!

My store is one of the pilot stores. We have offered suggestions and have basically been told by Corporate it's their way or the highway. They say to work out the bugs before rollout. Yet Corporate refuses to budge. Modernization is written in stone. Our STL is breaking some of the rules which is why we're keeping our head above water...barely.

My store is one of the pilot stores. We have offered suggestions and have basically been told by Corporate it's their way or the highway. They say to work out the bugs before rollout. Yet Corporate refuses to budge. Modernization is written in stone. Our STL is breaking some of the rules which is why we're keeping our head above water...barely.
Yeah, one of the big problems with modernization and why we all bitch about it is because 1) district and above don't give any direction, just "figure it out" and 2) when we try to figure it out and propose ways to be more efficient, we're told that we are to do things their way or leave. But the problem is that when we ask them what their way is, they say figure it out. Then when we try to figure it out, we're told we are doing it wrong and must do it their way. But again, they don't tell us what their way is. Why? Because no one knows how it's supposed to be done. All they know is someone in an office at corporate told them to do this new thing, with no guidance or instruction beyond "save payroll."

That's why modernization sucks and why it's failing. Absolutely nobody knows what the hell they're supposed to do anymore. And if there is some magical person in the company who does know, they really suck at giving instruction and leading because nobody else understands.

I don't care anymore though. I'll do what they say and change how I do my job on a daily basis because my job responsibilities changes every day. At least if I'm doing what they say, it's not my fault when they inevitably realize they screwed the pooch and got Canada 2.0.

Yeah, one of the big problems with modernization and why we all bitch about it is because 1) district and above don't give any direction, just "figure it out" and 2) when we try to figure it out and propose ways to be more efficient, we're told that we are to do things their way or leave. But the problem is that when we ask them what their way is, they say figure it out. Then when we try to figure it out, we're told we are doing it wrong and must do it their way. But again, they don't tell us what their way is. Why? Because no one knows how it's supposed to be done. All they know is someone in an office at corporate told them to do this new thing, with no guidance or instruction beyond "save payroll."

That's why modernization sucks and why it's failing. Absolutely nobody knows what the hell they're supposed to do anymore. And if there is some magical person in the company who does know, they really suck at giving instruction and leading because nobody else understands.

I don't care anymore though. I'll do what they say and change how I do my job on a daily basis because my job responsibilities changes every day. At least if I'm doing what they say, it's not my fault when they inevitably realize they screwed the pooch and got Canada 2.0.
Same. I go in, do what they say and leave at the end of my shift. I ain't stressing over what I can't control.

Here's my story of modernization. A tm asked the STL where to put the electronics backstock that was still sitting on a wooden pallet on the salesfloor yesterday, Friday, December 21, at 1pm. This was after taking a double truck and finishing the unload at 1030am. You couldn't even open one set of the swing doors into the backroom because pallets of merchandise was right against the back side.

Her answer. I don't know. Figure it out. This, while the area is flooded with guests.

That's her answer. I don't know. Wow.

So later on, I'm trying to pick sfs orders at 230 to accommodate all the late dropping rush orders. A guest asks me if we have any Toy Story toys. I thought I'd quote my STL. As I slowed down for a sec, I told her I don't know and left her in my dust.

Thanks Modernization!!

Fucking this.

It's the inconsistency that I can't stand. You can ask 3 different leaders at my store how things are supposed to be done or what the rules are and they'll all give you completely different and contradictory answers because no one has the faintest idea what's going on. It's exhausting coming into work every single day to find out that the rules have changed yet again. You're damn right I'm resistant to change, because the change is arbitrary and meaningless. And there's no point in even trying to adjust to the changes anymore because you know everything is just going to change again in a week or two.

Fucking this.

It's the inconsistency that I can't stand. You can ask 3 different leaders at my store how things are supposed to be done or what the rules are and they'll all give you completely different and contradictory answers because no one has the faintest idea what's going on. It's exhausting coming into work every single day to find out that the rules have changed yet again. You're damn right I'm resistant to change, because the change is arbitrary and meaningless. And there's no point in even trying to adjust to the changes anymore because you know everything is just going to change again in a week or two.

THIS!!!!

It's easy, and even a little fun, to point out the issues but I'd be hard pressed to find a recent, substantive post with solutions to any of the problems others have expressed.

The solution was to leave the payroll allocations alone, bringing them back to pre-modernization, and focus on nailing the unload process/super sort with the same large team we were using before at early morning times. The current unload is 1 Thrower, 5 Line + Breakout, so 6 people really unloading and sorting the whole truck. We were told it was slower so we could sort better. However, if you had left it alone at 2 Throwers, 6-8 Sorters + Bulk/Breakout and left it at 12-15 that most stores were using, it would be just as well sorted! This is because the unload scales. When you have to cover half the line yourself, even though its only one thrower, you are covering a ton of space and custom blocks and are likely sorting it just as well as if it was 2 throwers and you were only covering a single bay worth of custom blocks.

The reduction in the flow team wasn't to improve sorting, it was to reduce payroll in stores as a whole. Many high volume stores saw a reduction of 3-5k hours for December, and a record amount of freight. Cornell is lucky it wasn't worse and most stores kept their safety and fire violations contained their backrooms with what they did. I will give them credit though, they are doing a great job of selling the narrative that they want things to be better as they gut us.

Sales are up, but it isn't because of modernization. Other stores are seeing an increase as well.

The whole "end of days" thing is likely in regards to next year, when hours are slashed and the new logistics process falls apart. Some stores can make it work with the payroll they're being given, but it's pretty clear that most can't without overspending.

If Target actually has a solution for just-in-time logistics on the DC-side of things, great. But transitioning the store-side over to the new process while DCs are still shipping for the old process isn't working. We spend more time handling the product than pushing it to the floor, and we seem far less friendly and open to guests when we're ripping open cardboard in the middle of an aisle. I've had more guests apologize for being in my way over the last few weeks than I ever had with the previous process.

It just isn't working, and pushing veteran TMs, TLs, ETLs, and STLs out the door because they can't make it work has to be hurting the company.
I’ve always said Target wants the stores to bend over backwards for logistics but not the DCs.

So later on, I'm trying to pick sfs orders at 230 to accommodate all the late dropping rush orders. A guest asks me if we have any Toy Story toys. I thought I'd quote my STL. As I slowed down for a sec, I told her I don't know and left her in my dust.

Thanks Modernization!!

Hilarious. I love this. I would have liked to see the guest face. 😂

There is a colossal thread about this in the general target chat, pinned at the top.

“Modernization”
I still can't find what the changes are. This just take me to the 1st page of this thread where someone says "This modernization will roll out in all stores 2019 but within a month for the pilot stores...they get to iron out the wrinkles". Am I not seeing an attachment or something?

I still can't find what the changes are. This just take me to the 1st page of this thread where someone says "This modernization will roll out in all stores 2019 but within a month for the pilot stores...they get to iron out the wrinkles". Am I not seeing an attachment or something?
Alright. Corporate has some new ideas, and they want to shake everything up. Here is the rundown:

WHAT WE KNOW:

• Corporate is running a pilot in 26 districts that will completely replace the operational model in their stores, and eventually, in all stores nationwide.
  • The pilot is being rolled out selectively so they can flesh out any issues/quirks with the program.
  • We expect this to be rolled out to all stores by Q2 2019. Once the pilot period is over, it will be slowly rolled out district by district to see how it gets handled. All districts should be on board by Q2 2019.
  • The current "Team" culture is gone. All job titles will be changed, in that hourly employees are considered to be experts(food,br,flow,fufillment), advocates(front end), and consultants(a&a, electronics, and beauty) -@Lazy. Groups of hourly employees will be led by their respective "Lead" (formerly TL), and will be completely responsible for their own section of the store (food, electronics, softlines, starbucks, liquor, etc. [not including hardlines tm's/tl's, explained below]).
  • The main change is that each group of hourly employees will be responsible for pushing their own sections of the truck in their respective areas. The goal is to have the flow team be eradicated, with the exception of a "Backroom Lead" (formerly TL) to supervise and manage the flow of hourly employees in and out to unload their portions of the truck/back-stock their products.
  • Distribution Centers will now be placing goods on pallets sorted by group (target speak for department), instead of the old way of just filling the truck full of boxes.
  • The job of LOD will be completely removed. Anything you would have gone to the LOD to solve, you will now go that groups "Leader" (formerly ETL) Notice how TL is now Lead, and ETL is now Leader.
  • The Sr. ETL position is now removed. They are now considered to be Leaders. They will keep their pay, and will be grandfathered in. Current and New Leader's (ETL's) can never reach the rank (or the pay grade) of Sr. ETL. Same thing will happen to current Sr. TL's. (Sr. TL's can expect to keep their keys, but it is at Store Director's discretion).
  • Pricing and POG are now gone. Each group is now responsible for these tasks.
  • Property Maintenance Leader I (previously PMT/PMTL) no longer reports to the Store Director (previously STL).
  • Assets Protection Leader I (previously ETL-AP) no longer reports to the Store Director (previously STL). They report solely to the APBP.
  • Harlines is being renamed General Merchandise.
  • Depending on store volume, there will be 2-4 groups that are responsible for sections of General Merchandise (previously Hardlines). This is where it gets confusing, so hang with me here:
  • 1. Flow TM's and Flow TL's are now "experts" and Leads for their portion of General Merchandise. The ETL-LOG is now General Merchandise Leader I for their section of General Merchandise.
  • 2. Backroom TM's, Backroom TL's, Hardlines TM's, and Hardlines TL's are now "experts" and Leads for their portion of General Merchandise. The ETL-HL is now General Merchandise Leader I for their section of General Merchandise.
  • CURRENT PRICING AND POG TM's WILL BE REASSIGNED/TERMINATED BASED ON BUSINESS NEEDS (at discretion of the Store Director). If in a higher volume store, General Merchandise will be split into up to 4 sections, and will be staffed by those previously in Pricing/POG and new employees will be brought in to meet business needs (if positions need to be filled). If in a lower volume store (2 sections of GM), and your Store Director won't performance out under-preforming Employees, you most likely will be transferred/termed. Unfortunately, you are SOL. I would recommend talking with leadership NOW to get your job changed if you do not want to be transferred/terminated (ESPICALLY IF YOU ARE IN A ULV STORE). Once everyone who doesn't read this website finds out about this, you will have a harder time finding a new position in your store.
  • HR and VM stay mostly untouched (except for the job title changes).
  • New pay grades (I have no info on this yet, sorry).
  • Updates to E2E. Should be more streamlined with the updates discussed in this thread.
  • SFS is renamed Fulfillment. Job titles will correlate. No major changes.
  • From my understanding, they [Presentation/Pricing] will be phased out (at least in an official capacity). Everything that's not a specialty center (beauty, electronics, style) or food falls under "general merchandise" which will be one team. Hypothetically, though, you could have distinct teams within that unbrella title and people could continue on as usual. I'm curious, though, if they will require stores that had an overnight or 4am plano team to transition dayside. -@PlanoPuppy
  • Shipt will now take up space in the backroom. Shipt contractors will be constantly coming in/out of the backroom to gather guest orders and drive them to the guests. They will wear a green Shipt shirt and will have a Shipt ID badge with a hologram and picture of them on it. They will check in with the Backroom Lead before taking anything. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE WALK INTO BACKROOM NOT WEARING THIS UNIFORM AND CLAIM THEY WORK FOR SHIPT, CALL AP ASAP!!!
  • DEPENDING ON STORE VOLUME: There may be a dedicated Shipt (or multiple) employee(s) (not contractor) walking the store and gathering items for guest orders, and will leave them in the assigned area in the backroom for the Shipt contractors to pick them up and drive them to the guest.
  • 'm transcribing all of this because I don't want to compromise myself by posting pictures (call me paranoid)

shiny new job titles:

Leader:

Assets Protection Leader
    Closing Leader
    Food and Beverage Operations Leader
    Food and Beverage Sales Leader
    General Merchandise and Food Sales Leader
    General Merchandise Sales Leader
    Human Resources Leader
    Inbound Operations Leader O/N
    Service and Engagement Leader
    Specialty Sales Leader

Lead

Assets Protection Lead
    Beauty and Tech Lead
    Beauty Lead
    Closing Lead
    Food and Beverage Closing Lead
    Food and Beverage Lead
    Food Service Lead
    Fulfilment Operations Lead
    General Merchandise Lead
    Human Resources Lead
    Inbound Operations Lead
    Property Management Lead
    Service and Engagement Lead
    Sr. Human Resources Lead
    Style Lead
    Tech Lead

Team Member (Experts)

Assets Protection Expert
    Back of Store Expert
    Beauty Consultant
    Engagement Advocate
    Food and Beverage Expert
    Food Service Expert
    Front of Store Attendant
    Fulfillment Expert
    General Merchandise Expert
    Human Resources Expert
    Inbound Expert
    Security Expert
    Service Advocate
    Service and Engagement Advocate
    Style Consultant
    Tech Consultant
    Visual Merchandiser

role specific info:

Engagement Advocate (formerly Cashier):
    • You are the face of Target and interact with our guests each and every day.
    • Provide an easy, seamless checkout experience.
    • Actively engage guests in a way that makes them feel welcome and rewarded by our loyalty programs.
    • Make sure every guest leaves happy.
    • Champion self-checkout by inviting guests in, teaching guests and complete transactions for guests who do not want to self check.
    • Comply with all cash handling and safety related procedures.

Front of Store Attendant (formerly Cart Attendant):
    • Provide an easy, seamless shopping experience by keeping carts and baskets well stocked throughout the store and responding quickly to guest carry-outs and spills.
    • Maintain clean, stocked check lanes, restrooms, Mini Assistance Centers, spill stations, carts and baskets.
    • Clear the parking lot, sidewalks and doorways of carts, trash and snow (if applicable)
    Because you are taking on a new role for the operating model pilot, you will be expected to have new knowledge and perform new skills and abilities, including:

• Guest interaction and engagement techniques
    • Powered equipment certification, operation and safety (cart pusher)
    • Ability to consistently lift 40 lbs or more

Service Advocate (formerly Guest Service Desk):
    • Provide an easy, seamless order pickup, exchanges, or return experience.
    • Actively engage guests in a way that makes them feel welcome and rewarded by our loyalty programs.
    • Make sure every guest leaves happy.
    • Be passionate and provide exceptional service to every guest.
    • Share your knowledge and excitement of front of store services and attend to every guest.
    Because you are taking on a new role for the operating model pilot, you will be expected to have new knowledge and perform new skills and abilities, including:

• Guest engagement and loyalty-driving techniques
    • Loyalty programs
    • In-depth knowledge of front of store specialty services

Service and Engagement Advocate (formerly Guest Service Attendant):
    • Welcome guests to the front of the store, directing guests and acting as their host.
    • Serve up an easy, no-wait experience at the check lane and all service areas.
    • Ensure every guest leaves happy and train peers to do the same.
    • Support the Service and Engagement Lead by managing front of store traffic and replenishing supplies, allowing the Service and Engagement Lead to focus on the guest experience and team development.
    • Provide a seamless checkout, return, registry and/or OPU experience by eliminating friction points for guests and team members
    • Perform cash office duties

• Guest engagement and loyalty-driving techniques
    • Loyalty programs
    • In-depth knowledge of front of store specialty services

Service and Engagement Lead (formerly Guest Service Team Lead):
    • Live and lead a guest-centric team that delivers a seamless and easy experience in all front of store service areas.
    • Train and mentor new team members, providing direction to peers as necessary, and coaching your team in guest engagement and loyalty-building skills.
    • Identify and share staffing and scheduling needs with leader and actively assess candidates to select the right talent.
    • Motivate and recognize team members to strengthen engagement and cultivate teamwork.
    • Service as a role model, hold team members accountable to expectations and work quickly to address consistent performance gaps

• Passion for delivering a consistently great guest experience
    • Guest engagement and loyalty-building techniques
    • In-depth knowledge of all front of store services (checkout, returns, registry and OPU)
    • Team member training and development
    • Business-specific talent assessment and selection
    THIS PILOT WILL BE LIVE AND ACTIVE ON APRIL 2 IN TEST STORES

Back