MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This never happened

• Distribution Centers will now be placing goods on pallets sorted by group (target speak for department), instead of the old way of just filling the truck full of boxes.

They opened the truck today and what a mess. They had stacked a pallet of Tide on top of paper towels.
Nothing is sorted. If they can get this done by 2020 I'd be surprised.

This never happened

• Distribution Centers will now be placing goods on pallets sorted by group (target speak for department), instead of the old way of just filling the truck full of boxes.
I mean there are plenty of stores still piloting the flow center with opti carts. It’s not perfect but it’s truly amazing. Most small formats are using this process due to the fact most of them don’t have a line in their backroom to unload a typical GM truck

I mean there are plenty of stores still piloting the flow center with opti carts. It’s not perfect but it’s truly amazing. Most small formats are using this process due to the fact most of them don’t have a line in their backroom to unload a typical GM truck
It can work if the truck is 1600 or less.

It has been a while! I hope everyone has been doing well, I had to get on here to see how these changes are working out for everyone.

I don't think I have posted since I was an ETL-AP long ago, I've done ETL Operations & Remodel since then in Southern California. I had told leadership for many years I wanted to transfer to R300 in 2018 and was asked to do one last remodel and it would be granted with a promotion to AP or PM Business Partner. That remodel completed and no transfer. My wife was given a transfer date and I was left stranded.. She reached out to her new STL and she made it happen, FINALLY I was granted a transfer into this new General Merchandise Leader role. While it was not what I was hoping for, I had to take it to be with my family in our new house. Now, after a few months in role in, I can attest that it is not working. It wasn't working in our stores in California and it is working out here. It's a shame because I know of 10, 20, 30? Countless good people across the board (TM, TL, ETL, STL, GVP, RVP) literally every level, that have been fired or quit because it is too much stress or blame was put on them. I fear that I am now on the "hit list" and very much expect my PIP to start soon now that the holidays are over. I haven't worked less that 12 hours more than a handful of times since starting this position and it is both physically and mentally exhausting.

I think in 2019 we will see some major changes again, they have to realize it isn't working. I personally feel if we kept the PC team and Presentation teams it would make a world of difference, but who am I? I just work here.... Have officially started job searching, but after being with the company for a while, it will be hard to find anything that will pay me close to what I make.

It has been a while! I hope everyone has been doing well, I had to get on here to see how these changes are working out for everyone.

I don't think I have posted since I was an ETL-AP long ago, I've done ETL Operations & Remodel since then in Southern California. I had told leadership for many years I wanted to transfer to R300 in 2018 and was asked to do one last remodel and it would be granted with a promotion to AP or PM Business Partner. That remodel completed and no transfer. My wife was given a transfer date and I was left stranded.. She reached out to her new STL and she made it happen, FINALLY I was granted a transfer into this new General Merchandise Leader role. While it was not what I was hoping for, I had to take it to be with my family in our new house. Now, after a few months in role in, I can attest that it is not working. It wasn't working in our stores in California and it is working out here. It's a shame because I know of 10, 20, 30? Countless good people across the board (TM, TL, ETL, STL, GVP, RVP) literally every level, that have been fired or quit because it is too much stress or blame was put on them. I fear that I am now on the "hit list" and very much expect my PIP to start soon now that the holidays are over. I haven't worked less that 12 hours more than a handful of times since starting this position and it is both physically and mentally exhausting.

I think in 2019 we will see some major changes again, they have to realize it isn't working. I personally feel if we kept the PC team and Presentation teams it would make a world of difference, but who am I? I just work here.... Have officially started job searching, but after being with the company for a while, it will be hard to find anything that will pay me close to what I make.
Our store is keeping it's head above water (barely) because we still have a Plano team. Price Change is struggling because of people quitting and no replacements. I wish Modernization would just go away. I also understand about anyone paying what you make or better than Target. They own our souls.

My store is literally falling apart

B62-AC197-E956-4262-8239-ACB25-BA6165-C.jpg

OMG. Why are there still YELLOW labels up!?! Who dropped the ball on that one?

The pegboard would be a quick fix if someone let the PMT know about it, just has to be popped back in and resecured.
I did tell someone, my STL to be exact. He said we’ll use zip ties for now to fix it. Something tells me that ain’t right :rolleyes:

And yeah, we still have a lot of yellow labels left. It’s embarrassing.

OMG. Why are there still YELLOW labels up!?! Who dropped the ball on that one?

The pegboard would be a quick fix if someone let the PMT know about it, just has to be popped back in and resecured.
There's maybe 3 sidecaps and 8 feet of home improvement in my store that still have yellow labels. I know about it, but at this point it is hard to find the time to fix it.

There's maybe 3 sidecaps and 8 feet of home improvement in my store that still have yellow labels. I know about it, but at this point it is hard to find the time to fix it.

I know I shouldn't judge too harshly as I was very OCD about switching to the white labels last year. Made a list of all the POGs that had pegs to make sure I reprinted those as well, otherwise my 8ft of home improvement tools would still be yellow too as it hasn't had any kind of reset in 3 years.

Just goes to show how adapting to a change can become so normal so that the old way looks shocking and wrong when you see it again, I guess.

TMs at stores without the Presentation Team, could you tell me what the adjacency calendar looks like to you? Does it still say "Presentation Team Set Hours". We are responsible for all SPLs now but it still divides it up as "Sales Floor Team Set Hours and Presentation Team Set Hours"

I'd feel sorry for the people who had to moderate Target's Facebook page if they actually knew what they were talking about. Forward it to X store's leadership all you want, Facebook Madison (just pulled the name out of the air). Corporate did this, and those guests who are supposed to come first are NOT happy. The photos guests share of impassible aisles and empty shelves are all-too-familiar to those of us in pilot stores.

On days when we are slammed with guest traffic, we still aren't making sales (though we're doing better than my old store, which is actually higher-volume). Could be sales goals are unrealistic. OR it could be that guests can't find what they're looking for because they can't get down the aisle to purchase it or the product is in the back room waiting its turn. (Not the TMs' fault;. Yes, every place has lazy TMs, but there are also plenty of hard workers. Then again, the latter are stressed out of their minds and they're leaving in droves. They're beyond frustrated with goals they can't reach and with ETLs--oops, Leaders--shrieking at them that they aren't doing enough. Speaking of Leaders, more than a few don't like the position they're put in and are following their TMs out the door.)

Cornell, if you wanted to set the business on fire, good on you. It's on its way.

Last edited:
Back