MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is actually a VERY dangerous Q4 for Target. Q3 Sales/Online Growth were strong of course in terms of sales comp, but that is not all that matters, and anybody with half a business sense will be able to tell that. The company is in panic mode right now because they forced stores to make payroll for November (meaning many cut the crap out of their stores and let tons of work roll) and then added to December to catch back up, adding more than they would have spent if they just kept up with the work.

The reason payroll is a make or break deal to Target is because of all the money Cornell has spent in stores. Remodels and Online Rollouts, Brand Changes (I do not call them all "new" brands), and new fixtures to stores to sort their freight onto, along with aggressive promotions, have tanked our overall profit. Any sales lift the company has seen is artificially inflated because we spent the money to get those sales increases. I could talk almost all day about where certain things were not worth the money (buying every store u-boats, rebranding certain categories) and where some were too aggressive (remodels) and now we are paying the price. We are paying for all of this with payroll, and if we post a Q4 with weak profits we are going to see another tank!
Hey that $ for free target.com shipping has to come from somewhere. Target's downward spiral began with the data breach in 2013, target canada closures in 2015 and now modernization. To survive they must invest in the DCs and fix our supply chain. Super Sorting our trailers is not the solution!

Today, as I looked around at the staffing that seemed to be less than we had in March, and was asked if I'd like to go home early because we need to cut hours for the month already, and I saw how much we are barely hanging on to the tracks, it hit me: we're in the end stage now. Next year is going to be a very very bad year for Target, and Brian will be gone with his golden parachute.

I don't do SFS or OPU.

Thing is, as a Softlines worker I'm now spending at least 20% of my time helping those folks find SL.

I'm supposed to be pushing SL freight but again, I spend 25% of my time helping guests find things and being helpful in general.

I'm supposed to be pushing SL freight but again, I spend 10% of my time backing up on the lanes.

This Modernization idea of stocking while we are open is not working out in favor of the guests. Nor for me, really.

It seems like my store might be in the minority, but, as long as A+A breakout is complete, we finish our truck push, plus all the other shit they expect us to do. The only exception, at times, is VMGs. But, my STL is throwing a shit ton of hours to A+A.

Shocking what proper payroll can do. 🙄
Same. I'm the srtl for a&a at my store.The only price change that I've rolled is when the backroom doesn't do the pulls. A vehicle or 2 might roll if that department prioritized a brand problem instead. Our vmgs are up to date. Backstock always done. We get the payroll that we need.

Our brand isnt where my stl wants it. She wants perfect folds with size stickers lined up and everything finger spaced always. Being high volume, 30% of our sales is a&a and the foot traffic we get... it seems impossible.

RhettB

I've forgotten more than many young ETLs know.
My store is currently in the part of modernization where you schedule inbound tm’s for 5am in mytime then have them come in at midnight and push the truck. Been this way since Black Friday. It’s nice, but wonder how long we can get away with it 👀
I'm sure someone in AP knows. How can one not notice the notifications they get about alarm points being bypassed? Lighting being overridden?

15 Sec. Remain

Anyone getting that call?
l-m-a-o corporate probably be logging into your store’s cameras and seeing all these TMs being productive in the closed store...if you listen hard you can hear their howls of anguish all the way from Minnesota
HQ: *grumblegrumble* "How dare they complete their tasks of Replenishing the floor and Backstocking properly in an efficient and timely manner."

Modernization tactics mean we’re working with more of a skeleton crew now than we were in Q1 of last year, and my store is known for hiring (and scheduling) the absolute bare minimum necessary to keep the store functional enough to remain open. But sure, tell me how the MyCheckout is going to save us when we only schedule a single hardlines closer per night basically in the two weeks before Christmas (which has resulted in many guests leaving frustrated cause they couldn’t find anyone to help them since the lone HL team member is usually pulled for backup cashiering).

Modernization tactics mean we’re working with more of a skeleton crew now than we were in Q1 of last year, and my store is known for hiring (and scheduling) the absolute bare minimum necessary to keep the store functional enough to remain open. But sure, tell me how the MyCheckout is going to save us when we only schedule a single hardlines closer per night basically in the two weeks before Christmas (which has resulted in many guests leaving frustrated cause they couldn’t find anyone to help them since the lone HL team member is usually pulled for backup cashiering).
Sounds like your store mismanaged payroll. It’s not modernization.

Sounds like your store mismanaged payroll. It’s not modernization.
Oh, undoubtedly. Modernization could be great for our store but they let store politics (one TL vs another) get in the way, and then when they’re confronted about bungling payroll they try to claim this is what we’re moving towards schedule-wise with modernization just to cover their asses. That’s why I added the “tactics” bit. Anyone on TBR would know what’s up instantly and see through the BS, but virtually no one from my store is. My STL is among the ones that thinks having no operator at the fitting room period (not even zoning nearby) is a good idea, despite clarification on that from as high as the APBP because they can’t be bothered to read through all the guidelines about implementing modernization and actually getting it to work.

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
Every other year I’ve been here we all converged on toys first thing after the unload to get it pushed ASAP. Now they have specific people (not enough) scheduled over there and they balked when I suggested we gang up on it like we were doing in previous years. Yes let’s stick 4 people in the busiest department in the store on a busy Friday and Saturday with Christmas around the corner, what could possibly go wrong. One of the stupider ideas in a long string of stupid ideas.

Edit: Oh and they’re all seasonal noobs without Zebras so enjoy the extra backstock since they can’t find second locations lmao