MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
they had the whole aisle torn apart today ... thank goodness for the polar vortex , it was very quiet with guests.

See that's what I don't get. I didn't see any major moves in this set, so why would anyone spend the time to tear apart an entire aisle?! Just set it section by section and only demerch the items that do move. Saves so much time and leaves the aisle more shoppable for guests. Good thing your store was quiet today!

Some of our aisles flipped! And some products went inbound...it was kinda big in my opinion

Gotcha. That does complicate setting. It's faster sometimes to tear apart, but that means more guests asking for stuff. There is another way to possibly do it but it can take more time which isn't deal either. Such a catch-22.

If they read the planning and execution guide it states to go overnight for this humongous transition.

We are doing overnight next week!
From my understanding...my TL said their body can’t handle overnights, so 2am it is!! All this week and next week 🙃

From my understanding...my TL said their body can’t handle overnights, so 2am it is!! All this week and next week 🙃
One word, WUSS!! BUT that's my personal opinion. 😏
You truly aren't a Presentation TM unless you've done an overnight. ASANTS but I love overnights just for the simple fact of "No Guests!" We have the entire store to ourselves! There are no other teams in there with you unless Softlines is behind then they capitalize on going overnight with you but they are on their side of the store. I realize it's taxing on the body and body clock but we get a lot of "SHIT" done. We are starting on Sunday night and end Thursday night into Friday morning. Then we get Friday day off to sleep and have Saturday/Sunday off as well. I realize it's not for everyone but we perform miracles when we go overnight. We are actually ahead. I'm a Next Gen store so my adjacency said I needed to complete 340 hours of beauty and cosmetics next week. This is including major aisles flipping in both areas. We've completed more than half of the beauty set including setting old school since label strips were arriving late. I only have 49 hours left of beauty to set and all of cosmetics with product shifting. I have a dedicated team whose willing to go overnights when necessary. From my experience, this set, this time is necessary.

Curious on how you guys demerchandise cosmetics in the event product shifts entire aisles. What are your tips and tricks of the trade? We have found success in using gallon sized ziplock bags to de-merchandise each tray by 1' sections. What do you guys do?
Originally we used to use rubber bands but it smashed the packaging, especially the mascaras.

Curious on how you guys demerchandise cosmetics in the event product shifts entire aisles. What are your tips and tricks of the trade? We have found success in using gallon sized ziplock bags to de-merchandise each tray by 1' sections. What do you guys do?

Originally we used to use rubber bands but it smashed the packaging, especially the mascaras.
Our flips were pretty cut and dry. L'oreal and CoverGirl flipped, and maybelline and elf flipped. What we did this week was demerch covergirl into the beauty carts in a way that made this relatively shoppable for guests still, set l'oreal in its spot, and then go over and set covergirl after l'oreal product was moved over enough. It worked fine. I plan on doing the same sort of thing with maybelline and elf. No rubber bands, no repacks, no making overly big steps to keep merch separated from each other, the carts were great

Our flips were pretty cut and dry. L'oreal and CoverGirl flipped, and maybelline and elf flipped. What we did this week was demerch covergirl into the beauty carts in a way that made this relatively shoppable for guests still, set l'oreal in its spot, and then go over and set covergirl after l'oreal product was moved over enough. It worked fine. I plan on doing the same sort of thing with maybelline and elf. No rubber bands, no repacks, no making overly big steps to keep merch separated from each other, the carts were great
Carts? 3 Tiers/Smart Carts or guest shopping carts? I can use the smart carts but that's a lot of carts. I have a team of 9 going overnight (only 3 are presentation). It's going to take a lot coordination and doing the dance to move asants flip 9 planograms. My moves are major so hence me asking what do you guys do. We are forever banned from regular shopping carts. Told it was a write up if we did. Not getting in trouble for that so 3 tiers and tubs with shelves are what we use. Occasionally we have to resort to repacks too.
Our re-model ended July last year so when I saw these moves, I had to shake my head. It didn't make sense but all right! I'm reusing the exact same gallon sized bags from remodel so we are soooo prepared for next week. IMO it helps keep it organized and the little lip stick liners from falling through the holes of the cart, LOL!

Carts? 3 Tiers/Smart Carts or guest shopping carts? I can use the smart carts but that's a lot of carts. I have a team of 9 going overnight (only 3 are presentation). It's going to take a lot coordination and doing the dance to move asants flip 9 planograms. My moves are major so hence me asking what do you guys do. We are forever banned from regular shopping carts. Told it was a write up if we did. Not getting in trouble for that so 3 tiers and tubs with shelves are what we use. Occasionally we have to resort to repacks too.
Naw, not guest carts or 3 tiers. The beauty breakout carts with the white and red bins that they use to sort the truck into before they push their stuff. I dont have a picture of it, but every store is supposed to have at least 2 by now...we received ours in like september/october

Naw, not guest carts or 3 tiers. The beauty breakout carts with the white and red bins that they use to sort the truck into before they push their stuff. I dont have a picture of it, but every store is supposed to have 2 by now...we received ours in like september/october
I thought about using those but for pushing/ pulling freight. I'm going to try it, to demerch, thank you!

One word, WUSS!! BUT that's my personal opinion. 😏
You truly aren't a Presentation TM unless you've done an overnight. ASANTS but I love overnights just for the simple fact of "No Guests!" We have the entire store to ourselves! There are no other teams in there with you unless Softlines is behind then they capitalize on going overnight with you but they are on their side of the store. I realize it's taxing on the body and body clock but we get a lot of "SHIT" done. We are starting on Sunday night and end Thursday night into Friday morning. Then we get Friday day off to sleep and have Saturday/Sunday off as well. I realize it's not for everyone but we perform miracles when we go overnight. We are actually ahead. I'm a Next Gen store so my adjacency said I needed to complete 340 hours of beauty and cosmetics next week. This is including major aisles flipping in both areas. We've completed more than half of the beauty set including setting old school since label strips were arriving late. I only have 49 hours left of beauty to set and all of cosmetics with product shifting. I have a dedicated team whose willing to go overnights when necessary. From my experience, this set, this time is necessary.

We used U-boats and empty wacos from the backroom to de-merch. It’s been working and it looks “clean” from a guests point of view.

I thought about using those but for pushing/ pulling freight. I'm going to try it, to demerch, thank you!
We ended up with several repacks extra of the white bins, which we stored in the fixture room. if you have extras, I recommend replacing them as they get somewhat full so that you don't end up with overwhelmingly heaping bins

We havn’t started yet but have a solid plan of moves in place since ALL EXCEPT 2 pogs are moving location. No overnight for us, no one interested. We are working 6-2:30. Luckily we have 3 tm that have re-set cosmetics at least 4 or more times. We have also decided to empty cover girl first and fill each hole as it is created when setting the next empty area. We will remove full trays and move them as is (filled with merchandise) whenever possible. I hope the beauty team has their cart empty so that we can use that to sort loose items. We are also giving the salesfloor team the plan of which aisles are being worked each day and requesting that clearance is removed from each aisle the evening before we set. We are very light with product so it will be the push that uses most of our time. None of it was backstocked because there wasn’t enough space in the backroom (also saving backstock and pulling time). The beauty team did fill repacks by brand name that will simplify and speed push.

I predict 7 hours to set, 20 hours to push. Set, then Enlist your inbound teams fastest pusher to help.
Umm, nice try. GUESS again! We teach team members to set each tray starting from the bottom (each section is 1') so complete the entire tray with label strips, labels, signing, product, etc. And cleaning as you go. A 24' aisle is actually 48'. So unless you triple up your setters on this 27 hour pog, then your prediction of 7 hours of setting is dead wrong. Have you set cosmetics before?

Umm, nice try. GUESS again! We teach team members to set each tray starting from the bottom (each section is 1') so complete the entire tray with label strips, labels, signing, product, etc. And cleaning as you go. A 24' aisle is actually 48'. So unless you triple up your setters on this 27 hour pog, then your prediction of 7 hours of setting is dead wrong. Have you set cosmetics before?

I'm quite sure I'll get stuck leading this pog since I have the most experience setting .... 12 years. But it will be a beast. I think we'll tackle it by having 2 setters and I person back filling as we go. We are overnight, and we'll have a daytime person to push. So if we can just get it set and product moved, we're good.

My question is .... what dumbass thought .... oh throw in personal care the same week. Stupid.

I'm quite sure I'll get stuck leading this pog since I have the most experience setting .... 12 years. But it will be a beast. I think we'll tackle it by having 2 setters and I person back filling as we go. We are overnight, and we'll have a daytime person to push. So if we can just get it set and product moved, we're good.

My question is .... what dumbass thought .... oh throw in personal care the same week. Stupid.
This is my same complaint for years(13) when they lumped together setting all of Toys and Infants the same week every year in January. This year was a shocker to me that it was actually one week after another! Maybe if we ALL complain enough through My Support that they'll separate Personal Care and Cosmetics. It'll take another 13 years but hey, it's worth a try! ;)

I can usually get Maybelline set in an 8 hour shift by myself (this does not reflect any moves like this time around). Another hour or so for push. We don't demerch anything unless we have to so that saves time. We always take whatever the adjacency calendar gives for hours and cut it half because that tends to be a closer guess as to how long a pog will actually take us.

I can usually get Maybelline set in an 8 hour shift by myself (this does not reflect any moves like this time around). Another hour or so for push. We don't demerch anything unless we have to so that saves time. We always take whatever the adjacency calendar gives for hours and cut it half because that tends to be a closer guess as to how long a pog will actually take us.

In general, I agree. Some of our infant pogs were way off. Diapers, for example, were total 6.1 hours. It took my tl and I 16 hours. Every single diaper switched sides and moved. Plus, so much backstock.

In general, I agree. Some of our infant pogs were way off. Diapers, for example, were total 6.1 hours. It took my tl and I 16 hours. Every single diaper switched sides and moved. Plus, so much backstock.
This has happened to me maybe the past 3 times for diapers. I've just learned that no matter what it says to schedule two people over there to do it for their whole shift. Baby food on the other hand gained me back the 8-10 hours I lost to diapers

As someone who was worked in diapers, it's one of the departments that makes me curse the decision the bigwig muckety-mucks made to no longer backstock off the truck.

The other day a coworker of mine pushed maybe 4-5 packs of diapers off a hugely overstuffed set of tubs. All the rest went to backstock. This is a waste of time and man-hours...

Back