MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The next hurdle for my store is now that we are having regular success running in the modernized way, we need to evolve that because even though we have a clean back room and finish the trucks at a reasonable time and have low outs etc, the devil is still in the details. Pog problems are an issue, as are salesplanners that get set way late or never. This will resolve itself as I continue to train my team on presentation stuff and begin assigning them salesplanners to set. They’ve already done a few successfully but we aren’t to the point yet where they have time to do everything else and be setting stuff. The closing team still needs work, and a couple of them have figured out where to stash reshop where we won’t notice if for a day or two. Food is our stores Achilles heel right now, and their struggle is the team just isn’t up to the challenge that our payroll presents. My progress in my area has slowed a bit because payroll is so tight that I’m now pushing an area, like my team. I don’t mind as it’s temporary, and I’ve gotten so much closer to my team with them seeing me doing the exact same tasks as I ask them to do, demonstrating that it’s possible to accomplish. I’m not the fastest pusher, backstocker, zoner, and I remind them of that and that if I can do it, they definitely can. Oh, and set your custom blocks so that they align with the areas by TM, to avoid the time wasted when one gets another’s product in their push.

Done a few pogs?? Who's doing the rest? My tl and I spent 16 hours in the diaper valley yesterday. That's 10 MORE hours than was called for on the adjacency. 10! Who's doing that at your store?

We had to demerchandise an entire side. Take all that to the back. Clean. Move shelves. Restock from the other side since it was flipping/expanding. Then clean the other side. Move shelves. Restock. Change over half the sfcapacities. We ended up with 4 uboats of overpush/backstock. Which is now sitting in the backroom because where are those hours supposed to come from to backstock?

I'm not discounting your success, but who's doing this at your store?

- but it will be on the next truck day when I find a bunch of stuff over-stocked and wrongly stocked and I'm pulling overage off the shelf and having to shift product to its proper location so I can push the product just received to its proper location. But oh well. Pushing the truck is not hard, but it still needs to be done right. Sigh.
This. And they wonder why it’s taking me longer to push than other tms? Bc I’m one of the only tms doing it RIGHT!! Sigh.

The next hurdle for my store is now that we are having regular success running in the modernized way, we need to evolve that because even though we have a clean back room and finish the trucks at a reasonable time and have low outs etc, the devil is still in the details. Pog problems are an issue, as are salesplanners that get set way late or never. This will resolve itself as I continue to train my team on presentation stuff and begin assigning them salesplanners to set. They’ve already done a few successfully but we aren’t to the point yet where they have time to do everything else and be setting stuff. The closing team still needs work, and a couple of them have figured out where to stash reshop where we won’t notice if for a day or two. Food is our stores Achilles heel right now, and their struggle is the team just isn’t up to the challenge that our payroll presents. My progress in my area has slowed a bit because payroll is so tight that I’m now pushing an area, like my team. I don’t mind as it’s temporary, and I’ve gotten so much closer to my team with them seeing me doing the exact same tasks as I ask them to do, demonstrating that it’s possible to accomplish. I’m not the fastest pusher, backstocker, zoner, and I remind them of that and that if I can do it, they definitely can. Oh, and set your custom blocks so that they align with the areas by TM, to avoid the time wasted when one gets another’s product in their push.
So what will you do if your area is going through a major transition? If modernization is here to stay, Presentation, Price Change and backroom is eliminated, how will you get through 329 hours of resets (including revisions)? If the original Presentation TM's decides to quit(including the TL) it'll take a couple of years for the store to bounce back. Im not saying it can't be done but there needs to be some major, major, hard core training that needs to happen immediately! Devil is in the details and you are only halfway there. All I can say is good luck!

Done a few pogs?? Who's doing the rest? My tl and I spent 16 hours in the diaper valley yesterday. That's 10 MORE hours than was called for on the adjacency. 10! Who's doing that at your store?

We had to demerchandise an entire side. Take all that to the back. Clean. Move shelves. Restock from the other side since it was flipping/expanding. Then clean the other side. Move shelves. Restock. Change over half the sfcapacities. We ended up with 4 uboats of overpush/backstock. Which is now sitting in the backroom because where are those hours supposed to come from to backstock?

I'm not discounting your success, but who's doing this at your store?
Until everyone is trained to and has the time to do presentation, we still have our presentation team and TL. We don’t add a process on the team’s plate until all of the previous ones are going well

With the new modernization roll out, quite honestly we never had an issue still knocking out pogs, SPLs and REVs on time. We were actually green for Transitions on time for all of 2018.

Our only big big hiccup is price change. We come clean on truck and Transitions but price change is still overwhelming atm primarily due to all the clearance we have to ticket.

I have read all 124 pages of this thread and one thing has come into sharp focus for me. Every district, if not every store has a different directive on how Modernization is supposed to work.

Our store was told in no uncertain terms that Inbound does 100% of the breakout. So, is that just our district? Or just our store?

I'm done worrying about something that is clearly above my pay grade. If I get clothing for my area I'll just be happy.

With the new modernization roll out, quite honestly we never had an issue still knocking out pogs, SPLs and REVs on time. We were actually green for Transitions on time for all of 2018.

Our only big big hiccup is price change. We come clean on truck and Transitions but price change is still overwhelming atm primarily due to all the clearance we have to ticket.
What volume store are you? ASANTS. Don't even get me started with payroll!

What volume store are you? ASANTS. Don't even get me started with payroll!

AAA volume.

As far as payroll we are completely short staffed right now in January, which is extremely common in retail, I’ve worked plenty. However, the team that used to be Plano are still the guys we use primarily for revision and pogs since they are good at what they do and they actually liked it that way. Usually when they are done with their workload they help out in other areas we need. Our Salesfloor team do sales planners, PTM, price changes, audits, pogs, push, backstock, strays, zone recovery, fast service, etc.Two also very well versed in PTM. I spent a great deal last year training my team where right now everyone on my team can do it all. Obviously some more faster than others but it helps overall. My Salesfloor team already expects to have 1-5 SPL/REV/POG to work on their shift individually which usually gets done. I assign based on what I think realistically can be accomplished for each day. I have one main TM and two backup (for off days) who primarily takes care of New Releases for Tuesday, Friday and Video Games on Monday.

The only thing we tremendously are biting right now is price change which I’m trying develop a better routine into getting down effectively to stay green for the week. Right now it’s not even as much as we don’t get the mark ups/down completed, it’s the clearance that’s honestly kicking our ass. One day we would be clean and the next day it drops and there’s 579 DPCIs for Cosmetic Clearance, 300 for Domestics, 228 for Sporting Goods etc and I’m like ummm, how are we getting this done lol. But in all honesty I’m the type that likes to be challenged so I’m making my personal goal for 2019 to find a great rhythm into getting all our process done but also get price changes green every week lol.

Last edited:
One day we would be clean and the next day it drops and there’s 579 DPCIs for Cosmetic Clearance, 300 for Domestics, 228 for Sporting Goods etc and I’m like ummm, how are we getting this done lol.

Right!? That is about 11 hours of ticketing work not including labels, dealing with Salvage and the audit. Do you know if you are being given 11 hours to work in doing price change? I don't see how any SF team could add it to their day without it being expressly factored into the schedule. Then, add on when you work in, say, cosmetics you are constantly I helping guests which adds to the time it takes to finish.

Please share what you figure out? We still have teams but hear the change is imminent. Knowing how other stores are handling it would be invaluable!! :)

Right!? That is about 11 hours of ticketing work not including labels, dealing with Salvage and the audit. Do you know if you are being given 11 hours to work in doing price change? I don't see how any SF team could add it to their day without it being expressly factored into the schedule. Then, add on when you work in, say, cosmetics you are constantly I helping guests which adds to the time it takes to finish.

Please share what you figure out? We still have teams but hear the change is imminent. Knowing how other stores are handling it would be invaluable!! :)

Unfortunately we are not given any additional hours for price change. Basically got to figure it out it in our normal allotted hours for the sales floor. If I do find a great strategy I would definitely share with the rest of the site lol. As of right now my main idea I plan to execute is really to have at least 2-3 main Salesfloor TMs primary focus to assist on Price Changes during the weekday. My Electronics Team always complete their own 100% and Beauty as well (sometimes). Beauty is usually a bit behind due to how heavy their push gets from the truck.

I’m basically going to do what I did with my Electronics Team, which I give them strict daily routines that they must complete every day. What I find is that it creates a rhythm that actually helped their efficiency so if I get my Salesfloor Team on a certain rhythm that incorporate price changes as well I think it may honestly help significantly.

Unfortunately we are not given any additional hours for price change. Basically got to figure it out it in our normal allotted hours for the sales floor. If I do find a great strategy I would definitely share with the rest of the site lol. As of right now my main idea I plan to execute is really to have at least 2-3 main Salesfloor TMs primary focus to assist on Price Changes during the weekday. My Electronics Team always complete their own 100% and Beauty as well (sometimes). Beauty is usually a bit behind due to how heavy their push gets from the truck.

I’m basically going to do what I did with my Electronics Team, which I give them strict daily routines that they must complete every day. What I find is that it creates a rhythm that actually helped their efficiency so if I get my Salesfloor Team on a certain rhythm that incorporate price changes as well I think it may honestly help significantly.

Oh man, that sucks not to get the hours. That is one thing that makes me realize nobody above the actual working team knows how it works.:rolleyes:

It's super impressive to have Beauty do so well with it! That can be a beast, especially right now.

I think you are definitely right to have explicit expectations. I've had a few TL over my 3 years there and even though I believe we are a hard working team we always did better with a TL who had a more hands on approach. I think its because that approach involves more communication which is always better, imo.

When price change drops in like that, I let the ETL's know that they have to roll up their sleeves and start helping ticket or put up labels. Payroll can't be added and they are salary. They need to help in any shape or form.

With the new process (I am not currently doing pricing/pog etc) things have gone to hell in my store as far as how long flow stays. Used to be, if we got, say, a 1200 piece truck it was a shoo-in that we would get it done in under 5 hours. Now? Definitely not. My schedule has been slashed to the bone, but that doesn't mean shit because I'll get asked to come in on other days anyway.

I don't mind interacting with guests. I didn't take this job to be a social butterfly (I in fact took it because I am very much the opposite), but with guests there is a formula when interacting with them, so they're easy enough.

It's being expected to move at the speed of light and help them, plus stock from this U-boat, while keeping it up my ass at all times, plus keeping my backstock and trash on it, that's the problem. I work in the home area in hardlines mainly, so there's a sh*tload of styrofoam and small boxes that don't play well with the extra little L shaped handle of the Uboat (due to a gap at the bottom). That equals the need for two trashbags, which when they get full block the aisle up even more.

Then there's the guests. Either you are in their way, they are in your way, or they need you to take 10+ minutes to help them find some obscure kitchen item that's only in one location on the utensil backwall. Every time they complain about my being in their way, or that this new process is terrible, I beg them to complain to corporate.

All of the above is assuming the U-boat has its boxes sorted properly. I can grab a Uboat that is labeled, for example, C1-12 + C(backwall) and it will have things from D on it. If you're REALLY unlucky, it will have things from B, C, D, sometimes A! If I take the damn Uboat with me everywhere on days like that that's a whole load of extra time I could use to do something else--assuming no guests stop and ask me for help!

I can't do all this and pricing/pog too. I get told to GTFO at my scheduled time, and with January hours I get 3 days a week AT BEST. Product is being left on Uboats and tubs in the backroom for someone else to do because we simply don't get it done in time.

We're also having loads of callouts in the last two weeks for some reason, so at least that means more hours.

Send them my way we love them and can’t get more, unless anyone knows how to order them
It's on an ordering freeze due to it being required to be set on all the shampoo aisles. Not sure why the idiot thought it would be great because it's a fiasco. We fortunately thought of ordering adhesives in order to get through the set. This is not as bad as the GEN 3 zone assist rollout. That was worse, IMO.

It's on an ordering freeze due to it being required to be set on all the shampoo aisles. Not sure why the idiot thought it would be great because it's a fiasco. We fortunately thought of ordering adhesives in order to get through the set. This is not as bad as the GEN 3 zone assist rollout. That was worse, IMO.

I feel like that was an easier rollout for me. They actually sent enough for what I needed then. Right now, I guarantee I don't have enough magnetic dividers to put them on every POG that calls for them next week. Gonna have to pick and choose this time and order more when it's not restricted.

I feel like that was an easier rollout for me. They actually sent enough for what I needed then. Right now, I guarantee I don't have enough magnetic dividers to put them on every POG that calls for them next week. Gonna have to pick and choose this time and order more when it's not restricted.
They didn't take into account the size of my basbecks in market when Gen 3 rolled out. I had to use 18" instead of 22" and on top of that, had to change capacities just so freight would not be pulled just to turn right around to be backstocked. On a different note, Does anyone have a shampoo focal? We do and received fixtures for it that we had to guess on how to install. Did I miss the communication on this? We had shelf shams and basedeck shams but my front end cap is a 22" and we received a basdeck sham for a 14". Anyone is the same boat?

Any small formats with all seniors testing the new op model? I guess it doesn’t reall matter since there’s no etls but what does your org chart look like? Does the senior title still go away?

Anyone have details on the Q1/2019 op model? Beyond what they posted in the addendum. What do the org charts look like? What are the major changes?

Back