MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is your store one of the fully modernized ones? It appears that this would only work at those stores.

Fully modernized? What does that even mean? If by modern, you mean stuff everywhere? Projects half done because hours are cut?

For example, everyone back stocks. Great! There is zero accountability now. The shelves in the backroom are crammed full. Boxes of different dpcis are two or 3 deep. One Waco I scanned for a pog fill in office had at least 30 dpcis in it. None of them my item.

The store floor is always trashed. Debris everywhere. Styrofoam, pieces of cardboard, etc. There's no time to clean because it's push and backstock. Then leave. There has to be time to clean.

The store floor is always trashed. Debris everywhere. Styrofoam, pieces of cardboard, etc. There's no time to clean because it's push and backstock. Then leave. There has to be time to clean.

Can relate. We were expecting the big recovery visit the next day, so the other night I was given the time to deepzone sporting goods. That's like the no go, do not enter, you shall not pass section of my store. No one has had time to clean it for months as one TM is tasked with first zoning toys and then getting SG if they have the time, which they don't in Q4. Holy shit. I found so much trash. Cardboard and bubble wrap was seemingly everywhere. Found a crapload of AP issues too. Lots of softlines tags and electronics security devices were buried in those aisles.

Curious for people who've implemented the new sort and stock method. How's it working for you? On paper it seems to work.

Then you are correct, it works on paper.

In reality, there's not enough payroll. So U-boats stay full, and stuff is put on pallets. Pallets go unpushed, and the BR fills up. Store shelves are empty. BR fills up, and pallets "vomit" out onto the salesfloor.

End to end - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/end-to-end.20949/#post-491405 @Tainted Kool aid

No. It doesn't work with the payroll we are given.

Plus, my store was hit with a ton of freight during the last 6 weeks of 2018. We are still recovering from that fiasco.

Last edited:
Honestly, there was nothing "broken" about the old way of having TL's over 2-3 areas, and a flow team, a POG team, a Pricing team, and a BR team. TL's used to do their own Research on Specific Days, and Flow & BR should work those areas first. A *dedicated* TL would know their area, know their BR, and be very good at shooting OUTs/Research and zoning and setting endcaps.

I remember we had a TL of "company space." - that was a cushy job. Setting stuff like CLs, sidecaps, and Dollar Spot (now Bullseye Playground.)

Except a dozen TLs cost too much. But now hourly pay is going up, so - wait - cost is about the same... so have to cut hours.

Yes.

I'm not trying to say I agree with the new processes. I am saying on paper it should work, but like everyone has said it relies on hours and a workforce. I am just curious in stores that are modernized how the process is going because in a few months that's the way all stores will be. .

Again I don't support this model change. I'm all for having more team members on the floor to assist guests but I don't agree with gutting all the 'background' process teams like flow, presentation and backroom.

Sorry if my answer was angry sounding.

Calling the new process "modernization" means nothing. They could have called it "neanderthalization" and it would have had the same meaning.

And at my store, we still have a pog team and pricing team intact. I just don't see how to dismantle them. Who will organize the workload and have the knowledge to set complicated sets? But I'm good with doing whatever. But what I won't do is be stuck halfway. And when I read the posts from stores that have dismantled their specialty teams, it doesn't sound like it's going well.

One revision I had was 19 hours. The L'oreal product. You have to plan for that.

Did it actually take 19 hours though? The adjacency calendar grossly overestimates how much time is needed for some things. Cosmetics can go either way
Curious for people who've implemented the new sort and stock method. How's it working for you? On paper it seems to work.

Not fully using the new op model yet, but for us sort and stock seems to be working ok. We are a lower volume store and are able to get all of priority 1 freight worked/backstocked the day of the truck, and also most of the priority 2. Whatever's left gets done the following day.

Did it actually take 19 hours though? The adjacency calendar grossly overestimates how much time is needed for some things. Cosmetics can go either way

Not fully using the new op model yet, but for us sort and stock seems to be working ok. We are a lower volume store and are able to get all of priority 1 freight worked/backstocked the day of the truck, and also most of the priority 2. Whatever's left gets done the following day.

It was years ago, before the transcend beauty fixtures. It took me two 8 hour shifts. At the time, my STL questioned me why if took so long? I shaved 3 hours off it. Damn, you do it!

But I agree, the adjacency calendar is sometimes not accurate. I think it evens out loves time.

It was years ago, before the transcend beauty fixtures. It took me two 8 hour shifts. At the time, my STL questioned me why if took so long? I shaved 3 hours off it. Damn, you do it!

But I agree, the adjacency calendar is sometimes not accurate. I think it evens out loves time.

Totally get it with those old fixtures! Those were such a pain in the ass. You could easily spend a whole hour just trying to get a shelf unstuck.

The adjacency calendar puzzles me. Like, how do they think the naturals pog takes 26 hours to set? I can get it all done in 11. By myself. Do they think I am completely demerching the whole thing? Fixtures included? Starting from a completely gutted aisle? Because I'm not- that'd be a huge waste of my time and would also piss off every guest who wanted to purchase something from the aisle. No thanks, I'd rather work smarter.

Totally get it with those old fixtures! Those were such a pain in the ass. You could easily spend a whole hour just trying to get a shelf unstuck.

The adjacency calendar puzzles me. Like, how do they think the naturals pog takes 26 hours to set? I can get it all done in 11. By myself. Do they think I am completely demerching the whole thing? Fixtures included? Starting from a completely gutted aisle? Because I'm not- that'd be a huge waste of my time and would also piss off every guest who wanted to purchase something from the aisle. No thanks, I'd rather work smarter.

Under my stores current way of doing things, most are going to take longer now. Clean, set, pull, push, and backstock. Pulling and pushing are not counted into the hours regardless of what anyone says. Best practice still says that. Add in backup cashiering, getting carts, etc and you're over the time.

All this is part of the reason we are now behind.

If anyone can show or explain that the time to pull and backstock are included in the adjacency calendar, please enlighten me.

TL told me TMs have to write their own reviews this year. Ok, well since I haven’t gotten anything other than the top (outstanding and whatever that new shit is now) then they should have no problem with me continuing the trend. I’m assuming this part of the changes or modernization. I haven’t read about it on here, unless I overlooked it.

Confirm/deny?

TL told me TMs have to write their own reviews this year. Ok, well since I haven’t gotten anything other than the top (outstanding and whatever that new shit is now) then they should have no problem with me continuing the trend. I’m assuming this part of the changes or modernization. I haven’t read about it on here, unless I overlooked it.

Confirm/deny?
@HRZone

Confirm/deny?
Ummmm, when would TM's have time to write these; if this is true?

Last edited:

Confirm/deny?
I can't be 100% sure, but I've been told that TLs are to submit scores for every category this year, but not to write a full review. Nothing has been communicated about TMs having to do anything but be there for review delivery

I love that pog. It's mine every reset so I either get two days and have time or one day and pptl owes me big time.

Back