MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
While I'm here...

Has anyone got any experience with what team lead schedules transition to with the new rollout? I'm starting to be very concerned.

Backstory: my boss keeps hinting about my having to shift to "mids" to "meet business needs" in March because I'm an end to end leader, but refuses to discuss what that schedule will look like for me. They claim they don't know, but knew enough to give me anxiety attacks for the next few months?
Is a "mid" 9-5:30, or more like 12-8?

When I was hired, they knew that I was taking care of a dependent with special needs in addition to having an ADA issue myself, and I gave up another, probably better, job because Target's team lead schedule rotation worked out well for me, even if I sacrifice every other weekend. I have arrangements for my closing night and weekends, but would have to pay for after hours care if I work much later into the evenings, and I simply don't get paid enough to afford that.

Now I've been told that they won't have any say in accommodating my scheduling issues, as it all comes from "up top" somewhere, but they won't tell me what I'm facing.
I'm so afraid I'm going to be suddenly out a job after the rollout, and the people that depend on me will lose health insurance that it keeps me awake at night.

While I'm here...

Has anyone got any experience with what team lead schedules transition to with the new rollout? I'm starting to be very concerned.

Backstory: my boss keeps hinting about my having to shift to "mids" to "meet business needs" in March because I'm an end to end leader, but refuses to discuss what that schedule will look like for me. They claim they don't know, but knew enough to give me anxiety attacks for the next few months?

When I was hired, they knew that I was taking care of a dependent with special needs in addition to having an ADA issue myself, and I gave up another, probably better, job because Target's team lead schedule rotation worked out well for me, even if I sacrifice every other weekend. I have arrangements for my closing night and weekends, but would have to pay for after hours care if I work much later into the evenings, and I simply don't get paid enough to afford that.

Now I've been told that they won't have any say in accommodating my scheduling issues, as it all comes from "up top" somewhere, but they won't tell me what I'm facing.
I'm so afraid I'm going to be suddenly out a job after the rollout, and the people that depend on me will lose health insurance that it keeps me awake at night.
No true answer. As a TL you're pretty much "obligated" for open availability...at least for me, I dont want a TL who isnt 100% flexable or down to ride whenever with scheduling. Just my 2 cents here. 😊

While I'm here...

9-5:30 is the earliest our Sales Floor TLs work now, usually one day per week. 1-9:30 is their new "close," and the other three days it's either 10-6:30 or 11-7:30. ASANTS though.

No true answer. As a TL you're pretty much "obligated" for open availability...at least for me, I dont want a TL who isnt 100% flexable or down to ride whenever with scheduling. Just my 2 cents here. 😊

That's all well and good, but for my store at least, they didn't mention anything like that upon hire. Just told us what our rotations would look like, and didn't require us to be "openly" available. Would have absolutely taken a different job had I known I would be forced out of this one abruptly.

TL pay isn't exactly good enough to entice people in my market for those hours, either; my store's been trying to hire several for over a year with normal rotations. Maybe ETL level, but it's a bit much to expect from a TL, imo. Many of ours have kids, go to night school, or have second jobs in the evening.

That's all well and good, but for my store at least, they didn't mention anything like that upon hire. Just told us what our rotations would look like, and didn't require us to be "openly" available. Would have absolutely taken a different job had I known I would be forced out of this one abruptly.

TL pay isn't exactly good enough to entice people in my market for those hours, either; my store's been trying to hire several for over a year with normal rotations. Maybe ETL level, but it's a bit much to expect from a TL, imo. Many of ours have kids, go to night school, or have second jobs in the evening.
I'm sure that's tough, yeah. Bring this up to whoever you report to. Or choose to make target a career, make your way up the ranks. It's a very welcoming company but can be very demanding on an individual's work/life balance.

I mentor my TLs with a mentality that this isnt merely a source of income but a lifestyle path and I want them to love the job more than the money. In order to get full commitment and a successful business, you have to treat it as you would your personal life. 🤓

What is your TL doing with their time?

The hours are likely not going to be there, your TL needs to run the business and manage what's important vs not based on sales and allocate time needed to complete important tasks with available time from "non important" tasks.

I think a big part of the problem is that we are still doing smart huddles to catch other departments up. Last week we lost team members to other departments for entire shifts (somewhere around 15ish hours combined PLUS smart huddles). When this happens, any gains we made are lost and we run behind again. This means we struggle to get pogs set at the expense of autos or freezer.

While I'm here...

Unsure what E2E department you run, but we have TLs that have “set” schedules. True that they have generally open availabilities to meet the business needs, but the recent year we’ve done away with closing nights, opening nights, and closing/opening/mid weekends. Maybe once in a while we’ll ask them to change it up, but other than that, no. I always mention to the other TLs that if you see that you have something to do or HR doesn’t catch it in the workload, shoot a friendly email reminder and let them know that you’re adjusting your schedule to meet the needs of the workload and/or business. Ive adjusted my schedule many times, ETLs/STL haven’t mentioned anything about it. I’ve heard of an E2E leader at another store who is part time and a SR. Unsure how that is working out but for sure know they’re not full time.

After not having any type of huddle during the holiday season, Smart Huddles reared their ugly heads again this past week. Thanks for taking me away from my area for one and a half hours.

We had 2 solid weeks of smart huddles in every other hardlines Dept for 1.5 to 2hrs. This was mid December and the PA was even pulled to help. There were many nights the closing team also did hour long smart huddles in that same week.

There is a guide that outlines the new A&A (softlines) breakout process as far as how the Z-racks are now suppose to be set up with those yellow hanger dividers that have the brand name label cards on them it explains other things like the new mini racks with the red baskets at the bottom and how supposed to receive folding tables etc. Does anyone know what I am talking about if so where can I go to print that guide out? Is it on workbench maybe?
We received those before Black Friday nobody had time to put them on the z’s.
So needless to say there still on the box they came in ... I also do all the softline hanging under inbound and I’ll be damned if I’m putting them up .. waste of plastic once again I wonder how much that cost corporate or who’s dumbass idea it was. Modernization my ass don’t waste my time.
Ps we also received a couple more boxes of them they went in the compacter 🤔

Wow glad you guys are seeing a little of what the plan team goes though.

Many of us have seen this having been on pog team before modernization. The difference now is that the workload is done by a single person but isn't assigned specifically to pog hours or scheduled that way. Revisions are done along with autos, freight, FDC and whatever else is happening that particular day. All of this is supposed to be done within a 6 or maybe 7 hour shift. :rolleyes:

Many of us have seen this having been on pog team before modernization. The difference now is that the workload is done by a single person but isn't assigned specifically to pog hours or scheduled that way. Revisions are done along with autos, freight, FDC and whatever else is happening that particular day. All of this is supposed to be done within a 6 or maybe 7 hour shift. :rolleyes:
What could possibly go wrong 😕

One revision I had was 19 hours. The L'oreal product. You have to plan for that.

Are you already setting the upcoming cosmetics set or are you referring to past experience?

Past experience. Lol, we are about a week and a half behind rn. Plus, I haven't received any new signing for the infant transition, unless it came today.

Past experience. Lol, we are about a week and a half behind rn. Plus, I haven't received any new signing for the infant transition, unless it came today.
Ours came yesterday and it actually came DTS. Whomever delivers our supplies is how it got delivered. It usually comes off of the truck with freight but we had no truck yesterday and a signing pallet showed up. I believe this is how it is supposed to be delivered from now on.

I'm sure that's tough, yeah. Bring this up to whoever you report to. Or choose to make target a career, make your way up the ranks. It's a very welcoming company but can be very demanding on an individual's work/life balance.

I mentor my TLs with a mentality that this isnt merely a source of income but a lifestyle path and I want them to love the job more than the money. In order to get full commitment and a successful business, you have to treat it as you would your personal life. 🤓

I've been enjoying the job well enough, I guess. I mean, being at work is never preferable to being with my family, of course, but as far as an obligation, I've done worse things for work.
The issue for most of our TLs is that we're committed to making this a career, but not many of us feel that a career that means we're never home with our families, or have time for other things in life, is what we want. Especially at the rate of pay compared to other jobs in the area. Late mid shifts don't leave time for anything else, and are a completely different beast than opens or closes. And frankly, most of us are either older or younger and in school.
And all of us are worried about work/life balance. Especially since we don't see how working noon to eight would improve the business in any way and our bosses don't, either.

As far as "working up" how do those that want to, make that a reality when the next step up the ladder requires a 4 year degree and their shifts won't allow for them to actually get that degree?

I think we'd all just feel a lot better if the company was being open with what these changes are, and giving us time to make decisions that are right for our families, especially in the cases where TL set schedules haven't changed in decades (at least at the store I'm at, according to some long term employees) and a lot of people got hired without the knowledge that they would be forced to change schedules so drastically. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to make a living on a Target TL wage, so many are in college or have second jobs. It's also especially complicated when child or other dependent care comes into the equation.
It's obvious they're trying to keep people from quitting until the last possible moment, and it's the first time I've really felt misled or taken advantage of while working here.

Our leadership has at least acted supportive, but keep telling us they aren't allowed to discuss the changes yet, and likely won't have any say in their implementation. Which, honestly, is another thing I'm disliking; there's not a "one size fits all" to Target stores, and not allowing stores to adapt to their business needs and ability to hire has already caused some issues that I'm afraid are going to snowball, especially in markets like mine where we have a substantial worker shortage and hefty turn over at all levels.

I've been enjoying the job well enough, I guess. I mean, being at work is never preferable to being with my family, of course, but as far as an obligation, I've done worse things for work.
The issue for most of our TLs is that we're committed to making this a career, but not many of us feel that a career that means we're never home with our families, or have time for other things in life, is what we want. Especially at the rate of pay compared to other jobs in the area. Late mid shifts don't leave time for anything else, and are a completely different beast than opens or closes. And frankly, most of us are either older or younger and in school.
And all of us are worried about work/life balance. Especially since we don't see how working noon to eight would improve the business in any way and our bosses don't, either.

As far as "working up" how do those that want to, make that a reality when the next step up the ladder requires a 4 year degree and their shifts won't allow for them to actually get that degree?

I think we'd all just feel a lot better if the company was being open with what these changes are, and giving us time to make decisions that are right for our families, especially in the cases where TL set schedules haven't changed in decades (at least at the store I'm at, according to some long term employees) and a lot of people got hired without the knowledge that they would be forced to change schedules so drastically. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to make a living on a Target TL wage, so many are in college or have second jobs. It's also especially complicated when child or other dependent care comes into the equation.
It's obvious they're trying to keep people from quitting until the last possible moment, and it's the first time I've really felt misled or taken advantage of while working here.

Our leadership has at least acted supportive, but keep telling us they aren't allowed to discuss the changes yet, and likely won't have any say in their implementation. Which, honestly, is another thing I'm disliking; there's not a "one size fits all" to Target stores, and not allowing stores to adapt to their business needs and ability to hire has already caused some issues that I'm afraid are going to snowball, especially in markets like mine where we have a substantial worker shortage and hefty turn over at all levels.
Our TLs were told 10-6:30. No exceptions. Now the meeting planned for early February where all STLs find out about new organization and head count has been postponed until March

There's no payroll for it to work right now. Can't have TMs focused on their own workcenters. The hours aren't there. My store has gone backwards. We were more modernized and e2e in December when the payroll was there for it. In January, with fewer hours and the seasonals who would fill lots of those hours being trickled slowly out, it's not a possibility.

Back