MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah, so exactly what I mentioned. Supervisory. The hall monitors of Target.

Team culture is gone under the new process. It's all about the individual now.
because the old way was a shining example of teamwork? Flow team overpushing and flexing. Salesfloor dumping backstock on backroom. Backroom bitching about pog batches.

While I haven't been a fan of how our store has rolled out the new inbound process, I like the idea of staying in a zone and owning it. About how many aisles will a tm be responsible for?

You’re extremely oversimplifying the expectations. The expectation is your not trying to muscle a process by being autonomous with your work. You should be working with the TMs pushing and back stocking. You shouldn’t be working an a “You” task and more a team task you can step away from

As a TL, if I'm tasking, then I'm working along side a TM or I'm filling a gap (like going to the check lanes to back up or the RFID scan) so that they can get their shit finished.

Sure, TLs used to be the ones who had to know sales, sales goals, ads, etc.. but that's all on TMs now. Again, the workload for TMs has increased. What do TLs do now? Because the guide mentions just one thing: making sure TMs are doing their job. That's it. If they don't know how, then maybe you can teach them instead of offloading your singular duty onto a TM that still has their massive workload to complete.

My Food and Bev TMs work the same areas, set their own sales planners, hang their own ad, audit their own outs/lows, work their own pulls/truck/backstock, know their weekly ad/cartwheel deals, know truck sizes, drop their own manuals, and yes they help train. And we aren’t even modernized. And no we aren’t swimming in payroll either. I can hardly wait for modernization.

And your view on what TLs do is highly offensive. I’ll chalk it up to the possiblility that you work under shitty leadership or that you have no idea what it takes when “making sure TMs are doing their job.”

My current development plan is centered around making myself obsolete by having a team that can lead themselves. The best leaders aren’t the ones that carry their team, they are the ones to give the team the training tools and resources to carry themselves.

A major piece of leaders developing farther at target is the question of what would happen to your workcenter if you were gone a week? A month? A quarter? That log leader that busts ass and singlehandedly makes sure they come clean every day? They won’t pass that etl interview question.
THIS. ‘Nuff said.

It seems like that will be changing under the new process. According to my STL, it's going to be more of a supervisory role instead. She's had a few sit downs with the ETLs and TLs to explain and double down on that. Even before we really started getting info on the new process, our DTL mentioned in every visit that he did not want to see the TLs working like TMs. No doing pulls, no backstocking, no pushing -- just making sure those things are done by guiding and coaching TMs.
This would work if there were actual team members scheduled. There are days when there has been only one in Softlines and one in Hardlines. What do you do then?

We never rolled any trucks and shit got done on time. It may not have been perfect, but we worked more as a "team" then than we are now.
You’re right, it wasn’t perfect.

This new process, what my team and I are delivering? It’s damn close. Using less payroll than the old way, shit getting done on time not rolling anything over, and the work is cleaner, neater, the floor is more full, there’s more TMs helping guests, what’s the problem here?

There’s teamwork involved; the ones with smaller workload on a given day or week help the ones with more, and in the morning they sort together since the detailed ‘super sort’ we do means splitting up the contents of our repacks.

There’s a lot of pride motivating my team, they’re proud of their areas and I’m proud of them. They work both to succeed in their areas and to help us succeed as a whole, and there’s a lot of loyalty both to each other and to me, and I will take on anyone at any level that interferes with my team. I have their back and they have mine, and they know it. The team aspect of it is stronger than ever now.

The store is only as profitable as the amount of product that's on the shelves. If you're rolling trucks, you're not giving the guests what they want. They aren't there to chat it up with you, they're there to buy product. Not ask TMs to run around for 30 mins trying to find a pair of pants that isn't located in the back or a box of cereal that can't be found despite there being 30+ onhand.
And you think a TL is going to fix this by doing tasks?? Things like this are one of many reasons why a TL should be supervising, auditing, planning, etc.

While I haven't been a fan of how our store has rolled out the new inbound process, I like the idea of staying in a zone and owning it. About how many aisles will a tm be responsible for?
For my team it’s by department. Kitchen is one TM, for example. Stationary/party/office is one TM. Won’t elaborate more on my team in order to not expose myself/location. But my teams areas are prettt big. That’s why they are getting nearly 40 hours a week per TM.

For my team it’s by department. Kitchen is one TM, for example. Stationary/party/office is one TM. Won’t elaborate more on my team in order to not expose myself/location. But my teams areas are prettt big. That’s why they are getting nearly 40 hours a week per TM.

Thank you!! I don't want you to say more than you're comfortable, but can you elaborate by what you mean by one tm in kitchen? One per 8 hour shift I'm assuming by the 40 hrs. Will there be closing tms in those areas, too? Weekends? What if a tm prefers part time, can they share the role?

I'm in charge of HBA and was expected to push the truck, pull the autofills, push the autofills, and audit 35 aisles in under 4 hours...wasn't possible. Sometimes this new process is unrealistic. The TM in chemicals had the same tasks and he only had 8 aisles. He finished just in time for the 4 hour mark. I was I expected to do the same tasks in almost 5 times the number of aisles in the same time frame.

I think the TL is getting paid enough to be doing tasks while supervising, auditing, planning. You have a walkie and a Zebra. You can check on the unload status, the pulls, and call out TMs to see where they're at while pushing, pulling, backstocking in areas that need some help.
Of course and I do these things all the time. Some days, more than half my shift. I do need to point out, however, that everything you just mentioned is in regards to truck push. As a TL, a FOOD Team Lead, that’s maybe half of what I need to worry about. I’m not sure you are aware of what it takes to be TL.

I think the TL is getting paid enough to be doing tasks while supervising, auditing, planning. You have a walkie and a Zebra. You can check on the unload status, the pulls, and call out TMs to see where they're at while pushing, pulling, backstocking in areas that need some help.
Funny how half of the bad attitude TMs complain that we are on their backs on the floor and the other half complain about running the store via walkie.

I don’t need to ask about every little thing because my team knows what needs to be done when and will let me know well ahead of time if there’s any issues. When I arrive in the morning they are wrapping up the sort and starting their push, so I take a lap and check in with everyone and ask how they feel about the day’s freight amount (I already know what it is, protip: greenfield has a great mobile app and you don’t need to be provisioned/exempt to access it from your phone).

I scope out the line, and look at what’s in the gun and how big their autos are. They have those pulled by 11, pushed by noon.

You must think I have it easy, dicking around being overpaid to not do much?

You wanna know how many batches I picked for ship today so that various team members weren’t pulled to assist? How many times I backed up so that my team could work uninterrupted? Did suspect task list and rfid today, and dealt with various vendors and did pre ties for stationary three weeks early so I can schedule the 140 hours of extra workload accurately and we can efficiently trap or backstock the transition product right away as it arrives. Who do you think will be trapping that product?

My job is to make sure my team succeeds.

I'm in charge of HBA and was expected to push the truck, pull the autofills, push the autofills, and audit 35 aisles in under 4 hours...wasn't possible. Sometimes this new process is unrealistic. The TM in chemicals had the same tasks and he only had 8 aisles. He finished just in time for the 4 hour mark. I was I expected to do the same tasks in almost 5 times the number of aisles in the same time frame.

Yikes, that seems like a mistake! Did you ask how best to get 35 aisles done in 4 hours? That's frustrating!!

This will be changing completely in a few weeks. Just wait.
Low volume, high volume or in between? ASANTS. There are times I want to throttle the Inbound TL for lack of giving a SHIT. It's a literal shit show and Inbound TM's still act like Flow. Upper management can't manage payroll cause the Inbound team takes precedent. Inbound team is and will not "Do More." I can truly say it's been like this for 6 mo now and we are not fully modernized yet. We are trying but unless you get Team members to care and I mean all of them then it's an uphill battle. Not sure how long it'll take to get the right people hired or get current team members onboard and on the same page. Same goes for the TL's of the store.
I applaud you that you have success but honestly how long did it take you to get the right formula?

Thank you!! I don't want you to say more than you're comfortable, but can you elaborate
Thank you!! I don't want you to say more than you're comfortable, but can you elaborate by what you mean by one tm in kitchen? One per 8 hour shift I'm assuming by the 40 hrs. Will there be closing tms in those areas, too? Weekends? What if a tm prefers part time, can they share the role?
Going to try and elaborate without revealing too many identifying specifics, as we are pretty much leading the pack with this stuff.

Kitchen. I have a main TM that works 36-40hrs a week, usually starting at 6 or 7am. I have secondary TM for kitchen that works on their days off. They get 12-16hrs a week same time in kitchen, supplemented with the occasional closing shift (they have limited availability and don’t want more than 20-25hrs). So the full timer is the primary business owner, and the part time TM is their backup. They both only do kitchen. My team is on set schedules, with rotating days off. Obviously, student TMs who are available only on weekends don’t get weekends off, but the main crew gets rotating weekend days. So for a given day, in kitchen I have a TM there for 8 hours. As for closing, I did have to sacrifice closing payroll for the time being. Generally for GM/hardlines there’s 4 closers that split up hardlines for reshop and zone. Closers DO NOT do morning tasks. In the event of rollover, it is caught up the following day. We don’t sacrifice closing routines. I can’t publicly elaborate on how the closers are distributed, but shoot me a message and I’ll explain more.

.. except the guide mentions that you shouldn't be doing any of those things. You shouldn't be participating in the unload at all -- which is where you would be trapping all that transition. That's for your TMs to do, not you, according to corporate.
Until logistics is completely dissolved, something has to give as I need all of their payroll before that can work. By doing the preties as early as possibly the transition product is easy to sort as it arrives. They literally set it aside and I palletize it wrap it and put it in the steel. 15 minutes to save my team hours or picking through repacks when they set it? Yeah, I’ll take on my GVP about that if they ask.

The other stuff? Notice I’m not diving into my workcenters task stuff. I have a boss too, and other teams are on the strugglebus and if that means the STL says leaders either send someone to help flex or come help flex, that’s out of my hands.

Also, any leader here will tell you front end payroll the past month has been completely fucked. AA+ store here and we have 1 opening cashier who watches sco for an hour then 1 more at 9am, that’s it til 11 when we get one more but at noon the opener leaves... if gstls had their way, there would be so much backup nothing would get done.

Back