MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
To play devils advocate I’m not saying moderation is amazing and will do wonders and it’ll work no doubt about it. What I am saying though you’re blaming the process for a broken store. If you can use your store as an example as modernization being an extreme failure then the many store succeding can use their stores as proof it works. At this point I’m just not fully convinced the reason for failure in some stores is the process, I think a big portion of failure is TMs poor attitudes and inability to adapt. As @busyzoningtoys can attest to, a successful process has TMs who believe in it and a team that’s willing to adapt

I'm going to once again, I know, plug in the Canada debacle. Would you have also said that "I think a big portion of the failure is TMs poor attitudes and inability to adapt."? Maybe, as in Canada, the process itself IS the problem. Would you have defended that mess by also placing most of the blame on the TMs? Even when, after the fact, it has been shown it wasn't? Doesn't it worry you at all that you might be defending a terrible idea? I'm not saying it's terrible. I'm just comparing the two.

And I'm not saying I want Target to fail. I never said that. What I'm saying is that sometimes corporate tries things that fail because they are bad from inception. It wouldn't matter how great the TMs attitudes were.

I'm going to once again, I know, plug in the Canada debacle. Would you have also said that "I think a big portion of the failure is TMs poor attitudes and inability to adapt."? Maybe, as in Canada, the process itself IS the problem. Would you have defended that mess by also placing most of the blame on the TMs? Even when, after the fact, it has been shown it wasn't? Doesn't it worry you at all that you might be defending a terrible idea? I'm not saying it's terrible. I'm just comparing the two.

And I'm not saying I want Target to fail. I never said that. What I'm saying is that sometimes corporate tries things that fail because they are bad from inception. It wouldn't matter how great the TMs attitudes were.
I don’t think Canada compares. Open 132 stores all at once and you’re bound to fail. I could have told you that

I believe the dedicated owner process can work and it is working in my store. The issue I have currently is why are they dismantling POG! This is going to be a disaster. You can't expect Johnny in pets to be able to set an 8 hour revision and get his 6 hours worth of push done? Dismantling POG is a bad call
They aren’t dismantling pog. It stays. Maybe big revisions will just be given to pog anyway.

Omg lol I rewatched this Titanic scene below and it has taken on a new meaning.

Pretend it's April 1st 2019

Replace the Titanic with your store number

Replace the iceberg with modernization

The crew are team members

The engine room is the backroom

The water is unworked freight and backstock

First officer William Murdoch is a TL

Thomas Andrews is any ETL in their office

The captain is your STL

Anyone else is a guest.

Now that I've painted the picture rewatch and laugh your ass off. Comedy is how I cope.

“We are dressed in our best and we will go down with the ship. We would like a brandy. “
Open bar Mr Guggenheim.

Modernization should have the ability to be tweaked at the store level. I'm not saying completely ignored but a space restraint store won't function like one who has space. A store that gets shopped hard vs one that doesn't will struggle. A store with SFS will have issues a store that doesn't won't have. A store with an ETL team that is hands on will succeed more than a store that has ETL'S who feel they don't have to. The process can work but it's ASSANTS and until cooperate gets that struggles will happen and we will lose strong, invested team members

Last edited:
Hundreds of changes were made between the pilot and the rollout based on feedback from stores. You just have shitty leadership if they’re not willing to take feedback. I’ve personally given tons of feedback to my ETL, SD, and even to my DTL (DSD?).

We had one huddle this week. Is it intentional to keep information about all the new processes secret? Just seems strange, maybe not so strange, for there to be all the immense changes with little to no information. Wouldn't it be better to be transparent about this? Instead, it's super secret hush hush. Why?

Payroll hasn’t cut. I’ve compared many stores. Just re allocated differently
Yeah reallocated entirely to fulfillment. 31 hours yesterday my store had for fulfillment. Still wasn’t enough, several of us had to jump in and help so there’s even more payroll. Maybe the payroll hours for the store are comparable to previous years, but it in no way feels like it. You give me those 30 hours of payroll a day and I guarantee we won’t be rolling trucks and have the store look like trash.

There are only a handful of mannequins displaying a handful of styles. Since only a handful of shirts/pants are actually on display, how do you explain how all the other clothing seems to sell just fine without being displayed on mannequins?
People, at least women (I'll speak from experience here), like to see how the new looks are put together. It is a visual for them to know how to look put together and what is considered to be a relevant look. They may not be buying what's on the mannequin, but they'll see what's "in" and make their other choices with that in mind.

Your only complaint is hours?
My complaint about hours is that we are now "business owners". If I owned a business, I would work at my business. With a 4 hour max shift and fewer than 25 hours per week, it's difficult to help my business thrive... especially when the businesses surrounding me (adjacent areas) have nobody in their building and I'm taking care of their businesses during my shift, too.

Yeah reallocated entirely to fulfillment. 31 hours yesterday my store had for fulfillment. Still wasn’t enough, several of us had to jump in and help so there’s even more payroll. Maybe the payroll hours for the store are comparable to previous years, but it in no way feels like it. You give me those 30 hours of payroll a day and I guarantee we won’t be rolling trucks and have the store look like trash.

The best part about this is that shifting hours instead of adding them has directly hurt fullfillment. They cant ship what they cant find, we cancel orders all the time because the sales floor is a mess and the item can not be found. Same could be said due to the increased theft in various sections of the store that lack proper coverage.

You cant just keep taking from the salesfloor/backroom in order to fund your online sales. It ends up hurting how reliable your online order system is while also making your core consumers who are the foundation of the company deal with a messy subpar shopping environment.

You dont want to alienate your core consumer base, for one you just recently began trying to capture in online shopping. If you dont capture that new pool of consumers and sustain that relationship, you just burned ties with many of your previous shoppers and gained nothing in return.

Thats a quick road to failure.

We had one huddle this week. Is it intentional to keep information about all the new processes secret? Just seems strange, maybe not so strange, for there to be all the immense changes with little to no information. Wouldn't it be better to be transparent about this? Instead, it's super secret hush hush. Why?
Oh lord. We haven’t had a huddle in... six months?

Back