MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our store was over headcount for TLs the entire 10+ years I was there to hear them tell it. That was their leverage to get TLs to take positions that they didn’t want to take: “Well, the store is over headcount and your workcenter should have only x number of TLs and you have xx number, so...” Funny thing how whenever a TL left, they were replaced though.😂🙄😂 Guess they mean business now. Time will tell.

It is happening and it’s not an overnight change. There are a few test distribution centers across the country (flow centers) that are reimagining how stores receive their freight. They can’t just remodel all the DCs overnight while continuing to push freight to these stores. It takes time.
Maybe that should have been done, I don't know, first? 🤔

First week of modernization and I gotta say, it seems to be going pretty well for us. Backroom is looking better, but receiving could push there stuff out bit faster. Not much has changed for plano yet except we are now responsible for backstocking our own stuff. No one has told me of any changes to signing routine so far, but I feel the responsibility of backstocking plano work is going to be mostly on me as signing tm. We'll see...

My store's POG team has always been responsible for its own backstock and pulls.

Maybe that should have been done, I don't know, first? 🤔
I don't really think it matters. How freight comes in doesn't really effect the new process. The freight still needs to be pushed by someone. The big difference is you will lose that unload team but with that you lose the hours for the unload anyway so in the end of doesn't really matter if it comes before of after.

So, in the new model, who is separating the signs for ad set up? Our store has had our signing TM doing it.
I think this varies by store. Our signing person never separated the ad. It's usually a random person.

Trolling the Target "Community" Facebook page there are lots of i'm sorry to the guests for not having enough payroll to finish the work.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-17-at-2-32-23-PM.png

pssss... this is the sales floor Not the back room.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-17-at-2-35-19-PM.png

I know a really good way this can be avoided. Push overnight? Oh yeah that’s the most Taboo word at Target now.

Walmart got in hot water recently telling door greeters there job description is changing and they had to do alot more lifting, walking and standing. Tons of them are elderly or disabled. Word got out to the media that lots of disabled people were gonna lose their jobs and low and behold Walmart magically found a job for them at self checkout. Alot of those people were and are there 5 to 10 plus years. I feel Target is toeing this line very closely if not already over it.

They are already over it to the point I want to expose them more. At my store we had a few team members with disabilities when we were overnight plus some elderly people as well. They were all forced to stepp WAY out of there comfort zone were most of them have all been forced out. How do you expect someone with Autism to react to interacting with guest and then punish him by cutting his hours in half when his disability is literally at his disadvantage. Or making a 77 year old man or 65 year old women towork on the truck unload and expecting them to preform at the same level of a bunch of guys 19-30. It’s extremely hypocritical and I think we as team members should focus on this more

The only time my store pushes anything close to overnight is Thanksgiving week. 12AM a couple times, then back to 4...but this year, who knows? Can you just imagine trying to push during Q4 with this system?

Imagine it? I lived it. We are an ultra high volume store with 14 trucks a week in Q4 and we started at 4 all the way up until after Black Friday then on December 1st they HAD to put us back overnight because we literally ran out of surface area and were multiple trucks behind and OOS was through the roof with all of the freight scattered everywhere. Oh and I’m in charge of Toys by the way too...

Can we just fire all the people now who won't use the wave, stacker, powerjack, or make a bale? That would thin out over 50% of our team including most of the leadership, including our stl, who I once overheard couldn't make a bale.

In my state the wave and crown are considered heavy machinery and you need to be 18 with a valid drivers license and mine was revoked due to an incident a few years back so I legally cannot use those. I however am in very good shape and will use the tall latter over the wave. Might take me a sec longer but I will get the task done. As far as using the crown to get pallets down there’s nothing I can do about that. But I’ll do the extra physical work if I can.

They are already over it to the point I want to expose them more. At my store we had a few team members with disabilities when we were overnight plus some elderly people as well. They were all forced to stepp WAY out of there comfort zone were most of them have all been forced out. How do you expect someone with Autism to react to interacting with guest and then punish him by cutting his hours in half when his disability is literally at his disadvantage. Or making a 77 year old man or 65 year old women towork on the truck unload and expecting them to preform at the same level of a bunch of guys 19-30. It’s extremely hypocritical and I think we as team members should focus on this more
as a person who is aspergian, i thank you for knowing this. i do well with freight, routine, memory, etc. and have had many "best TM of the month" kinda things from my old bosses. lately though they treat me and my skills like a square peg/round hole thing. i ask q's to verify what i do, i find shorter ways of doing things, and i dont make eye contact much (despite what many think-know its not voluntary and yes some of us autistics can learn to look in peoples eyes. but doing that is like training a person to look at the sun-its possible but painful). i have to constantly remind them of the ADA and accommodations i already have. so far im seeing purge of older workers and disabled workers.

Judging from my my store, it's to inconvenience guests by having pallets on the floor until after noon and saying there will be more salesfloor help. In actuality, the flow/inbound team doesn't do much guest service. No cashier backups, no carryout, no getting carts, etc.

Me being on the Unload/inbound team have recently been crossed trained to help with the lanes and carry out and two lady’s on my same team have been helping with drive ups since we started it about 6 months ago so I guess it’s ASANTS here. The problem is Our store is so high volume and my area is toys. So doing the unload takes 2 hours. Then walking my area and zoning/ taking notes on end caps takes me roughly 15-45 minutes depending on how bad the zone is and how many abandons I have to collect. Then I have to pull my auto fills which takes about 15-30 minutes depending on the day or errors I might encounter, then I push freight along with auto fills as fast as possible and clear my area right before the store opens. Do my trash and defect out damages then take my lunch and only break(I don’t have time for 15’s) go back and finish my freight and repacks then complete all my backstock. Then I go back to my notes from earlier and fill anything I can on the sales floor and audit while I help any guest and this is the time I can be called to the lanes with no issue because I only have a two tier. Now after all of that I’m expected to do price changes and revisions?!? I already have been told I’m one of the fastest and most efficient workers ANY of my superiors have ever seen including ETL’s my STL and even a DTL it is just not possible for me to complete all of this in 7 hours at very max 8. Not allowed to pass 35 hours a week. And if I can’t get to the PC and POG all the blame is on me. Oh and P.S some days I can’t even start directly in my area. If there is a call out or poor schedule I have to start in a P1 area first.

I’m only a TM too. Most Leads do waasay less. I just refuse to lose

as a person who is aspergian, i thank you for knowing this. i do well with freight, routine, memory, etc. and have had many "best TM of the month" kinda things from my old bosses. lately though they treat me and my skills like a square peg/round hole thing. i ask q's to verify what i do, i find shorter ways of doing things, and i dont make eye contact much (despite what many think-know its not voluntary and yes some of us autistics can learn to look in peoples eyes. but doing that is like training a person to look at the sun-its possible but painful). i have to constantly remind them of the ADA and accommodations i already have. so far im seeing purge of older workers and disabled workers.

Target cares about you. I mean, they care the way that poachers care about rhinos and pangolins.

You’re welcome my friend. I am sorry this company is not as understanding as they should be. If they keep this nonsense up a lawsuit is on the horizon.

Back