MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why would they? They don't have to use anything from there.... just the folks actually doing the physical labor.

None of the ETLs (except 1) in my store can barely acknowledge the TMs by saying hello, they aren't going to thank them for anything. I don't know why it's so difficult to have a few words or chat a bit with the people that make possible their thousands of dollars in bonuses.

I always feel lucky at my store because I hear such bad things about other stores and I could not imagine working in such an environment. It scares me because my STL, ETLs, & TLs all acknowledge every team member and give praise and credit where credit or praise is due. They always thank the TM when a task is done or their shift is over. Or at least when I am around that has been what I have seen and what I have experienced. They are all very friendly with the TMs they interact with. I feel that some of the TMs forget they are talking to an ETL because they are on such a personal level and make themselves so approachable. I wonder how all the changes with modernization and what I have heard will leave us as a team. It's going to be a drastic change to a culture where all levels are business owners, no empathetic leaders, never turn a blind eye etc. I don't see any of our TLs on any level being able to do any of those things.

Last edited:
7... 8... 🤯
That’s insane. And frankly a joke imo. But the closing expert would be a set position, like closing TL. Depending on your stores volume, you may have between 1-3 closing experts. They (the closing experts) along with the closing TL would come in 330-close, Monday-Friday.
Disagree but of course asants. Because we have so many working mids there’s no need for closing experts til 5:30/7pm.

My fixture room door doesn't exactly close properly. This may or may not be my fault because I keep hitting the doorframe with the wave.

Exactly. I'll have my own stuff and "department to own". Too busy for other people, sorry!

My fixture room doesn't have doors at all. We removed them a few months ago since they always seemed to be in the way. I don't have to worry about hitting them with the wave now. 😂

All my ETLs I deal with are all assholes except one. Believe me I don't want to be there friend but how about a "hello" once in awhile. They just walk right by me like I'm not even there. I gave up saying "hello" and getting no response or some bull crap response. I'm so over it. Every day dealing with assholes is getting old. And I know every work place has them, I"m just tired of these ones.
Why would they? They don't have to use anything from there.... just the folks actually doing the physical labor.

None of the ETLs (except 1) in my store can barely acknowledge the TMs by saying hello, they aren't going to thank them for anything. I don't know why it's so difficult to have a few words or chat a bit with the people that make possible their thousands of dollars in bonuses.

Is there any hope at all that with modernization will come consistent, year round schedules for team members? I wouldn't necessarily mind 5 days of 4 hour shifts but knowing that for 1/4 of the year I'll only get 4 hours is frustrating and makes me want to look elsewhere for employment.

It would seem like there would be someway to schedule a core group of team members a consistent 40 hours year round and supplement busy times of year using seasonal workers. Instead they lay off seasonal and drastically reduce regulars hours. I know it's retail and Target could care less about those at the bottom of the ladder but it seems like there's something more they could be doing about this.

For stores just now going to dbo and no more pog team this is what you have to look forward to. The dbo of that dept will get some dbos from other areas to help a day or two the first week. You would think on non truck days there will be 2 or 3 members workin on the pogs but not logical under modernization. Even the dbo of the dept reseting isn't schedule on non truck days. Now it's week or even 2 weeks later and your area is still not 100% finished. There still might be an aisle or two not done. A few transition pallets not work. Definitely repacks not finished. This has happened with infants, stationary, seasonal and now otc.
I don't know what the solution truly is under modernization.

For stores just now going to dbo and no more pog team this is what you have to look forward to. The dbo of that dept will get some dbos from other areas to help a day or two the first week. You would think on non truck days there will be 2 or 3 members workin on the pogs but not logical under modernization. Even the dbo of the dept reseting isn't schedule on non truck days. Now it's week or even 2 weeks later and your area is still not 100% finished. There still might be an aisle or two not done. A few transition pallets not work. Definitely repacks not finished. This has happened with infants, stationary, seasonal and now otc.
I don't know what the solution truly is under modernization.
The pog team doesn’t go away tho. I’ve looked ahead at the adjacency calendar for the next 6 weeks. 2 weeks from now there are few pog hours and a week in May. Other than that every week has 80+ hours for the pog/transition team. My pog team is just 2 of us now that our pog tl is gone.

The pog team doesn’t go away tho. I’ve looked ahead at the adjacency calendar for the next 6 weeks. 2 weeks from now there are few pog hours and a week in May. Other than that every week has 80+ hours for the pog/transition team. My pog team is just 2 of us now that our pog tl is gone.
But there is no more "pog team". Since last year they've become dbo of their own depts or left Target. At least at my store a former pog member might help a day or so but remember they still have to work their freight and all else in their own area. Like today's non truck day no one set any otc pogs. There's even sections that are empty because things moving from one aisle to another. So they will sit empty over the weekend no doubt losing sales. Ansts but that's how it is at mine.

Clearly some ASANTS going on? Our former POG team is still here and our STL told us in our meeting that it’s not going away (which she told us it was going away last year) but when they alll received the new guide to the official New Op Model one of the new GMTL will be in charge of transitions and will lead “Presentation Experts”.
Between the multiple GM roles they respectively and possibly collectively lead, Inbound Experts, General Merchandise Experts and Presentation Experts.

Unless there is something I’m missing?

Clearly some ASANTS going on? Our former POG team is still here and our STL told us in our meeting that it’s not going away (which she told us it was going away last year) but when they alll received the new guide to the official New Op Model one of the new GMTL will be in charge of transitions and will lead “Presentation Experts”.
Between the multiple GM roles they respectively and possibly collectively lead, Inbound Experts, General Merchandise Experts and Presentation Experts.

Unless there is something I’m missing?

I think in some of the pilot stores, they did eliminate the pog team, and even got rid of the TMs. So if they were in one of those stores, they're probably in a weird limbo right now where they can have "Presentation Experts" once all the job titles get updated, but that's going to take time to either hire people or move people over and hire their replacements.

I assume a lot of the stores that went "no pog" had similar issues and that's why Presentation Experts were added back for the final rollout.

I think in some of the pilot stores, they did eliminate the pog team, and even got rid of the TMs. So if they were in one of those stores, they're probably in a weird limbo right now where they can have "Presentation Experts" once all the job titles get updated, but that's going to take time to either hire people or move people over and hire their replacements.

I assume a lot of the stores that went "no pog" had similar issues and that's why Presentation Experts were added back for the final rollout.
I hope that's this is a solution and that we can recover quickly. I'm not looking foreward to back to college /school as it is now.

Lucky for us we were not a pilot store. Our transition into modernization should be much easier because our POG TM’s may change title but it seems like workload will stay steady for them, at least for a while. I prefer they are not responsible for other dept duties, at least for a while so we can slowly ease them into other things during their shifts. We will see what is expected and try our best to be successful, after all, we are transition experts.

What is going on with the new roll out? Was told they can't say anything until the 20th (April) which will roll out May 1st or later?

Also, Is there a way to look up the SFS time per TM/cart? (skipped product)?
Is there a way to see the daily grind or is that just TL and above?

What is going on with the new roll out? Was told they can't say anything until the 20th (April) which will roll out May 1st or later?

Also, Is there a way to look up the SFS time per TM/cart? (skipped product)?
Is there a way to see the daily grind or is that just TL and above?

I was asking HR questions about new positions, policy, schedules, etc and you could tell they were taken back w the questions I was asking (who told you this...?) Ultimately though they said that we should be expecting 'conversations' soon detailing our new roles.

I took this job as a third shift position. Was getting 32-40 hours a week, often w overtime. Came in at 10 or 11, just before the store closed and we were always 'great by 8'. Then they pushed our start time to 3, then 4, now 6. Some days they have me coming in at 7, leaving at 11 and that's my whole week (1 day, 4 hours.) I don't know how they expect to find long term team members like they had and have now under these conditions. I'm hearing if you're good you'll get hours and if you suck you won't. Totally ok w that but I'm also hearing even if you're great don't expect over 20 a week. Target is expecting it's entire staff to bend over backwards and plan their lives around it, all to benefit the shareholder. And their reason is just to justify the $15/hour, which come soon in my state won't mean anything.
So did my store, 🤷🏽‍♀️. It’s not like they got extra pay for it anymore anyways.
We are eliminating the position in May.

I was asking HR questions about new positions, policy, schedules, etc and you could tell they were taken back w the questions I was asking (who told you this...?) Ultimately though they said that we should be expecting 'conversations' soon detailing our new roles.
That’s odd, at my store we were told to tell our teams ASAP. Leaders were pulling their team members into the office explaining the changes, expectations, etc...

That’s odd, at my store we were told to tell our teams ASAP. Leaders were pulling their team members into the office explaining the changes, expectations, etc...

In our meeting we were specifically instructed not to tell any TMs until STL has an all store huddle with the Team on or after April 22nd.

The most we could do is start to train whichever team member that’s not up to speed on expectations and routine and get them on board with new responsibilities. We already aligned at least half of our DBOs. I still think we got some areas to work out still.

I've seen things you new hires wouldn't believe. 2200 case trucks 100% clean by 8:30. More than one TM teaming up to push repacks.
NGL, I think about this a lot and wonder if that kind of productivity will ever be possible again once this phase rolls back. Our <2 year employees can't even fathom that flow had softlines broken out and pushed by 7am once upon a time. That guests never had to see a box being pushed in market and the whole store could be pushed before taking a lunch. It seems so long ago... *polishes monacle*

Back