MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
New Store Bonus Program:
TLs are eligible for bonus based on store performance (Yearly sales/payroll)

$250 when you do not meet your goal
$500 when either sales OR payroll goal is met
$1000 when sales AND payroll are met
$1500 when payroll & sales are met by 5%+

Tls who transfer, promote, or demote will be pro-rated for bonus. Must be hired into tl position prior to Q4 for eligibility. If on LOA over 10months you lose your payout. If on CA at all during the year lead will be reviewed by HR/Leaders to assess eligibility. Bonuses will be issued April 2020
Is the workload and craptastic schedule worth $19.23 per week (if you make a $1000 bonus)And do TLs have a say when the STL wants to go nuclear with payroll because of a rumor that the jet is out? I guess this is the point where everyone needs to ask themselves if they are willing to sacrifice a work/life balance for the POTENTIAL of a bonus. BTW if you don't meet goals the bonus is $4.81 per week.

Also saw the compensation change in workday with an end date of 5/25/2019 described as store hourly 40/45 merit plan.

Wondering if since the job codes don’t change in workday until May going into June, but our review raises are effective next week(?), if that just means we get our review raise and earn that rate until 5/25, after which we switch to PG45 and new job codes.

That's what it looks like may happen. Can't really think of any other reason for that date.
Gotcha. There will be no pg30 any more then?
Nope.

Is the workload and craptastic schedule worth $19.23 per week (if you make a $1000 bonus)And do TLs have a say when the STL wants to go nuclear with payroll because of a rumor that the jet is out? I guess this is the point where everyone needs to ask themselves if they are willing to sacrifice a work/life balance for the POTENTIAL of a bonus. BTW if you don't meet goals the bonus is $4.81 per week.

You do realize you work in retail right....? Why are you complaining about more money?

Has there been any info on if any changes are coming to receiving? Last I heard from my ETL was that he didn't think anything would be changing for a while but I haven't heard anything more concrete.

So 30 becomes 35 and 35 becomes 40? Or 30 becomes 35 and 35 stays 35? From what my store says they'll be the base (inbound, GM, electronics, beauty, market experts) and one up from that are the team leads. Others are saying that beauty, market, electronics (the ones already e2e) will be bumped to continue to make more then their counterparts in other areas of the store.

Has there been any info on if any changes are coming to receiving? Last I heard from my ETL was that he didn't think anything would be changing for a while but I haven't heard anything more concrete.
Reverse logistics expert. Same job. Reports to one of the GM TLs, the same one that owns inbound. GM ETL at most stores is filled by log ETL. So basically, nothing changes.

So 30 becomes 35 and 35 becomes 40? Or 30 becomes 35 and 35 stays 35? From what my store says they'll be the base (inbound, GM, electronics, beauty, market experts) and one up from that are the team leads. Others are saying that beauty, market, electronics (the ones already e2e) will be bumped to continue to make more then their counterparts in other areas of the store.
They won’t be bumped. The reason they got more before is that they were end to end. Now everyone is end to end, so everyone gets the end to end pay. Come June, the $12.00 hardlines TMs and the $12.50 electronics TMs and the $12.50 beauty TMs and the $12.00 inbound TMs etc etc will all be bumped to $13.00

I wish I could get an answer for anything, I've been asking but no one knows. With the new $13/hr raises in June here, it will put me at the same level as everyone else. I've asked if they could raise me due to being a different pay grade but they haven't shown me a positive response.. just to "wait" for my review. Even though I have the best numbers in my district for several years and I'm the district trainer.

Only thing I'm afraid of is hours going down, since we seem to be getting more and more tasks taken away or becoming more simplified. I've gotten to the point where I need to make my tasks take longer than they usually would take me because of it. I'm usually kept in the loop pretty well from being good friends with a lot of leadership in my store, but my ETL is... unhelpful to say the least.

Only thing I'm afraid of is hours going down, since we seem to be getting more and more tasks taken away or becoming more simplified. I've gotten to the point where I need to make my tasks take longer than they usually would take me because of it. I'm usually kept in the loop pretty well from being good friends with a lot of leadership in my store, but my ETL is... unhelpful to say the least.
This is my worry as well. I used to get 40hrs every week and now I'm down. I'm can deal with where they are at now (I know I'm much better off than most of the other people in my store) but if they go down further I'll be in trouble. If they do drop my hours more I'll probably ask if they can bounce me over to SFS after all my vendors come so I can get back up to the 40hrs I used to get.

I've asked if they could raise me due to being a different pay grade

In huddle today we were told yes all pay grades would go up in June. The $13 just seems to be the one number that is firm. They didn’t have exact numbers yet. I don’t know if someone knows more or more info was released since this morning. I’m not a higher pay grade so I haven’t followed up and I’m sure no one would follow up with me about higher pay grades.

sandra-bullock-is-called-that-lady-from-birdbox-ftr.jpg

Presentation TMs when hardlines asks them where something is in the modernized Fixture Room. 😂

No. That's not right. My store was part of the pilot for the new OPU/Drive-up. It is handled by the front end. But, cashiers and guest service do not do the picks. There is a dedicated TM to do those. That's my job. The picking. I'm scheduled under GS and answer to the GSTL. I am not GS trained though and have no expectations of being trained. I can't get stuck behind the desk doing returns. I can't get stuck on a lane.

Honestly, it's just a scheduling thing. It gets a TM scheduled for OPU only at all times. On the one hand, it's stupid as the GSTLs have no idea how to help me if I can't find something. They don't know what's a good INF or a bad one. They don't know by looking at an order how fast it should get done. Etc.

On the other hand, the GSTLs at my store love me because I keep the metrics good. So, let's get that bread and no bosses riding my ass.
There won't be gsas and gstls any more under the new model. Our SFS has always done all picks since we added driveup last yr. But with the new changes all cashiers will be trained on gs, register, sco, drive up and opu picks. They guest advocate part includes all that.

Tms or "consultants" for those areas will be pushed to PG 35

They won’t be bumped. The reason they got more before is that they were end to end. Now everyone is end to end, so everyone gets the end to end pay. Come June, the $12.00 hardlines TMs and the $12.50 electronics TMs and the $12.50 beauty TMs and the $12.00 inbound TMs etc etc will all be bumped to $13.00

So ?? you are in electronics, beauty or apparel and have a more demanding job. You make .50 an hour more that other generalized team members.
The $12.50 or .50 more, that apparel, beauty etc makes goes to $13 and everyone is the same? And if you are experienced and making an hourly rate over that $13 to begin with, that team member does not experience the raise I guess.
Great!
(Unless I didn't understand the pay changes correctly,)
You're welcome Spot. :-(

Last edited:
And if you are experienced and making an hourly rate over that $13 to begin with, that team member does not experience the raise guess. Great!
Same with almost any company. That isn't Target exclusive. Doesn't mean I agree with it, but every few pages of this discussion has somebody posting "everyone is the same" when it is obviously general practice in America. Don't pretend to be shocked about common knowledge.

The former Signing TM and a former Planning TM cleared and organized our Fixture Room last week. I personally thanked them for the great job they did. They said that a number of regular TMs thanked them but not one Executive said anything to either of them.

Once again they are keeping the door locked and a Leader needs to be called to open it. We've tried this a number of times before and the Leaders usually get sick of having to go back and unlock the door multiple times a day. The longest they've gone is 3 weeks. We'll see how long they last this time, then how long it takes the Fixture Room to look like a shit show again.

Because it's not my area of expertise anymore. Why should I have to do extra? Corporate says it isn't my job any more, who am I to argue.

That's the kind of WORK ENVIROMENT Corporate is getting with Modernization. It's not about Team Work anymore. IT'S SAD. I like to help team matestoo, but you can't finish your task even if you focus on your stuff the hours you are scheduled. Target now is like everyone on their own, and I don't see smiles on any team member anymore.
VERY SAD.

They said that a number of regular TMs thanked them but not one Executive said anything to either of them.

Why would they? They don't have to use anything from there.... just the folks actually doing the physical labor.

None of the ETLs (except 1) in my store can barely acknowledge the TMs by saying hello, they aren't going to thank them for anything. I don't know why it's so difficult to have a few words or chat a bit with the people that make possible their thousands of dollars in bonuses.

Last edited:
The former Signing TM and a former Planning TM cleared and organized our Fixture Room last week. I personally thanked them for the great job they did. They said that a number of regular TMs thanked them but not one Executive said anything to either of them.

Once again they are keeping the door locked and a Leader needs to be called to open it. We've tried this a number of times before and the Leaders usually get sick of having to go back and unlock the door multiple times a day. The longest they've gone is 3 weeks. We'll see how long they last this time, then how long it takes the Fixture Room to look like a shit show again.

My fixture room door doesn't exactly close properly. This may or may not be my fault because I keep hitting the doorframe with the wave.

That's the kind of WORK ENVIROMENT Corporate is getting with Modernization. It's not about Team Work anymore. IT'S SAD. I like to help team matestoo, but you can't finish your task even if you focus on your stuff the hours you are scheduled. Target now is like everyone on their own, and I don't see smiles on any team member anymore.
VERY SAD.

Exactly. I'll have my own stuff and "department to own". Too busy for other people, sorry!

Back