MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Question: does anyone know if those tm with job title “Presentation Expert” ALSO DBO’s of a dept or is every shift still doing transitions ?

We just moved one of our pog team members to market but she was told she's not doing any revisions or pogs or price change until further notice. But she got a decent amount of hours next week. Something tells me they stole the pog hours for the reset and are just using them for dry market push. Hope to one wants to buy ice cream, pizza, or single serve meals over the next few weeks. Once the current pogs drop out of the system because the new ones haven't been tied yet, it will stop auto-replenishing from the backroom. Gonna look damn empty!
I would have guessed that that will be the poor tm in the freezers all next week - yuck.

GM TL departments not assigned for us yet. I’m wishing upon the stars every night to NOT get HBA/chemicals ! Any other pretty o.k. Since grocery is already locked up with the GM food lead, whew, dodged that one !

Anyone PREFER a particular dept ? Anyone given the opportunity to choose ? I would choose check lanes, Bullsye, Seasonal.

Checklanes and Bullseye are Priority 1 and Seasonal is Priority 2 so they go to 2 different TLs. We have only 2 GM TLs: one for Priority 1 and one for Priority 2 so a bigger store may be able to divvy it up differently.

Question: does anyone know if those tm with job title “Presentation Expert” ALSO DBO’s of a dept or is every shift still doing transitions ?

I haven't been told I have an area yet. But everyone knows Home Decor is my baby. I'll have a better idea next week after my hardlines shifts which I can't tell are for transitions or not. Transparency is non-existent with scheduling this way!

I'm not sure what the best practice is, but at my store, we are only scheduled to do transitions and revisions.

Since I'm the last one on the team (former signing TM), I'm the unofficial backup for an area for when transitions are light and there aren't enough hours to go around. The next few weeks are pretty light apparently, so I'm going to be doing that area and flex fulfillment shifts. But the original pog team members I believe are 100% transition and haven't even been assigned as backups unofficially as far as I know.

But I think a decent chunk of those hours are coming from revisions, which I thought was originally supposed to fall on the DBOs. So if that's how a store is doing it, then they probably would need to have their Presentation Experts doing something else - especially during the lighter weeks.

That was a smart move with paper. I honestly think one of the more aggravating things I deal with is walking by an area I just set a week ago... and seeing it start to dissolve into junk again. Speaking of paper, I had to remove an entire pallet of paper that some rocket scientist had flexed across two aisles ( it wasn’t transition and should have been about 6 facings on one aisle only), and then pull a gigantic flat of what we should have already had out there in the first place that was just collecting dust in the back. These are simple things that just blow my mind. These are the people I’m going to teach to own an area?!? My STL also seems to be having difficulty with who owns what areas. There have been quite a few “adjustments” that have been deemed better fits from what the Modernization manual had for specific leader areas of ownership. Thankfully, most of my crews are in all the areas I’m controlling and I can count on most of them to be fairly autonomous. I still feel like a walking bandaid being used to cover holes in a giant dam most of the time. At least Pets is over, that was fun with all the adjacency changes🤦🏻‍♂️
The most frustrating part of all this is they expect team members to catch on and be able to function with 1-2 days of training. I remember it taking me at least a month of consistent working (setting planograms/revisions/sales planners) to understand the "whys." Then you have team members that don't care and still push freight wrong. The example you gave regarding the 1DPCI of paper is one of the many issues at my store. I have taken on a challenge to reeducate the ETL's especially that unless the aisle has been flagged as PTM/MPG they should not flex all into an aisle just because they don't want to backstock. They also should not be double stacking unless the Planogram shows it as double stacked. Of course if the capacity is wrong and it can safely fit more then of course change it but I wonder sometimes because there was one item that said 227 capacity but only 10 fit. 🤯 Corporate, WTF!? This is why we are soooo screwed with instocks. We barely have the time to change capacities but if we don't do it, nothing changes.

I'm assuming Target uses software to determine how much product can fit in it's SFL since software determines the boxes for SFS based on product dimensions.

Can someone for the love of god actually do in-person measurements of some of the SFLs for stuff. There's a good amount of stuff that will say like "6 fit" when really only 4 fit.

Also take into account the shape shape of the undersides of shelves because fuck you there's a triangular piece that you cannot physically shove three boxes under.

tia

Then you have team members that don't care and still push freight wrong.

These days I don't blame them. Yeah I would rather things be accurately pushed but when they have 6 full U-boats to push during the busiest time of day, and they get in trouble if the U-boats aren't done? Things are going to be incorrectly pushed.

A lot of people are probably coasting until they get let go. No use busting your ass for no reason when it won't actually get you anywhere.

I must admit I’m guilty of this. It all goes back to lack of uboats though. I’m well over 6 foot and sometimes resort to overstacking but I will be much more mindful now

Sometimes all you need is a visual 😊 my old sorter had done the 3 high repacks. As I was pushing the uboat to the the floor, our ETL stopped me and pointed out to him "see how tall the uboat is and see how little she is? Let's not stack like this anymore, mmmk?"
Mind you, we were all laughing, including the guests close by. But he said it didn't really click until he saw me next to the uboat.

I’m trying to imagine how y’all some of y’all a doors are.. I’ve stopped TMs from trying to pull a super tall U boat out because they didn’t realize the door would knock them off.
I managed to get through our doors with repacks 3 high on the top shelf with an inch or so to spare. Mind you, I did also manage to hit one of the hanging signs on the floor with the same u boat. 🤷

Anyone know with this new work model what are they going to do with people with disabilities? I know 2 stores with someone with a disability watching SCO & they do an excellent job.

So in my store all the leaders are supposed to work mids. However they work mids once or twice a week and usually 9-530. They decided thar GSTLs have to be 11-730 on weekends and most of the week. We have two GSTLs. If one request a day off the other is obligated to work 11-730 even if its his day to open/close. Which means I never know when I am working. I tried to talk to my superiors and they said the modernization guide says that floor can work 9-530 but GSTLs have to be 11-730. Is that true? Cuz at this point I dont have a personal life anymore. And I don’t know what to do anymore.

Maybe we're still rolling this thing out...but at my store, we still have GSAs, some ETLs close during the week, we aren't harping on name changes, etc. The biggest thing is they're pushing "style" instead of the "softlines" label, but everything else is sloooooooowly going. Anyone else running into this?

Maybe we're still rolling this thing out...but at my store, we still have GSAs, some ETLs close during the week, we aren't harping on name changes, etc. The biggest thing is they're pushing "style" instead of the "softlines" label, but everything else is sloooooooowly going. Anyone else running into this?
This is us. Except we’re calling hardlines general merch and softlines is still softlines.

Anyone know with this new work model what are they going to do with people with disabilities? I know 2 stores with someone with a disability watching SCO & they do an excellent job.
If you are on floor with ADA, make sure spot knows your medical issue. Check out our ADA thread.

This is us too. Store director is making one minor change per week. First title changes, then filling in some open positions, then very slowly training in areas lacking, some very minor tasks changes (electronics starting to do their own endcaps, grocery learning some revisions, style starting to pitch in for price change, trying to get inbound tm to backup cashier-this one not successful). We are repeatedly told “BY SEPTEMBER”. I appreciate that we are given the opportunity to digest each change before another is thrust upon us. I feel sorry for the stores that havn’t yet begun if they also need to be complete by September. If tm don’t like what is coming down the pike we will lose them a few at a time but for the store that will change everything under crunch time they may lose too many tm’s all at once!

This is us too. Store director is making one minor change per week. First title changes, then filling in some open positions, then very slowly training in areas lacking, some very minor tasks changes (electronics starting to do their own endcaps, grocery learning some revisions, style starting to pitch in for price change, trying to get inbound tm to backup cashier-this one not successful). We are repeatedly told “BY SEPTEMBER”. I appreciate that we are given the opportunity to digest each change before another is thrust upon us. I feel sorry for the stores that havn’t yet begun if they also need to be complete by September. If tm don’t like what is coming down the pike we will lose them a few at a time but for the store that will change everything under crunch time they may lose too many tm’s all at once!
This is how we are doing it too. Getting comfortable with small changes before moving on to the next "new" task seems to be the best way to deal with modernization.

Back