MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the company leaning towards replacing most of the ETL’s with TL key carriers? The GM1 (my position) basically I’m the opening LOD 5 days a week. Run inbound, and run a department on the floor. You have the closing TL that works M-F. All the ETL’s and SD now work mids ,close weekends,and basically just there now just to stare at the computer and look at metrics all day long. If there is any issues you call the TL over that area. Rarely get a call for an ETL to handle anything anymore.
Except for beauty and electronics, which doesn’t have TLs anymore. Our ETLs are running all over the store and helping push and other tasks because we are understaffed and apparently short on hours. The only Etl I ever see I front of a computer is our HR.

But yeah with the way they want the stores to run for the most part it does seem like they are putting some former ETL duties on TLs now.

If it's for my area, I will answer it. That's the point.

I will not answer every single call or go up as a backup, and my leadership knows this. I have the largest section in market and I work freight from two trucks every single day (1 RDC, 1 FDC. Sometimes 2 RDC, 1 FDC. Or 2 RDC, 2 FDC if the dairy/frozen girls can't get their workload done from the day before/call off). If it's my job to push freight, my job to answer calls, and my job to backup cashier, then I'm always going to be failing at two of those things. So I might as well focus on the thing that will have a noticeable, tangible effect.

And that's pushing freight. If the shelves aren't stocked, you won't have any guests to cash out or phone calls to take in the first place. And if the U-boats aren't empty, we won't be able to take tomorrow's truck.

Well, you're market. I don't know what expectations are at your store, but at mine market does not back up the front to cashier, service desk, get carts, do carryouts, etc. except for extreme circumstances. Market's area of backup is food avenue. They are, however, expected to take calls for their area because if someone wants to know whether or not we have Market pantry shit-infused olive oil in stock you know better than anyone else and even if it's not in your aisle, you're closer to go take a quick look. But, then we don't get a lot of phone calls for market to begin with.

No food avenue here, just Starbucks, and officially it's front end that is to be backing them up.

Other than that, the DSD has said the expectations are the same for all salesfloor TMs. Hours relative to workload, Beauty and Style get the most "free time", so we unofficially leave it to them to handle calls and backup cash, though our ETL-GM and ETL-Specialty Sales have both pretty much flexed their seniority and made it known that backup isn't to be called unless every single person up front is on a register already -- TM, TL, and ETL included. So on heavy days, the ETL-SE will run GS and the Service Advocate will either help run it or jump on a lane while both SETLs are on registers. If the ETL-SE isn't there, one of the SETLs will run GS.

Wow that's definitely ASANTS, or in this case AD(istricts)ANTS. Our service advocates are never to jump on lanes. It doesn't matter how long the lines are. Even if there are no guests at the desks, there must be a regular service advocate there and there must be a service advocate OPU doing our thing. If backup to the registers is needed, SETLs take over SCO and send the SCO TM to a lane. If that's not enough a salesfloor TL is called to watch SCO and the SETL jumps on a lane. If that's still not enough the TL now at SCO calls for backup from the floor, but never from beauty, electronics or market unless it's an all available. SETLS only take over behind the desk to cover breaks/meals or to break up a line at the desk, but the regular service advocates are always there.

It's a convoluted process.

Wow that's definitely ASANTS, or in this case AD(istricts)ANTS. Our service advocates are never to jump on lanes. It doesn't matter how long the lines are. Even if there are no guests at the desks, there must be a regular service advocate there and there must be a service advocate OPU doing our thing. If backup to the registers is needed, SETLs take over SCO and send the SCO TM to a lane. If that's not enough a salesfloor TL is called to watch SCO and the SETL jumps on a lane. If that's still not enough the TL now at SCO calls for backup from the floor, but never from beauty, electronics or market unless it's an all available. SETLS only take over behind the desk to cover breaks/meals or to break up a line at the desk, but the regular service advocates are always there.

It's a convoluted process.

Wow, that is a bit convoluted, but at least it makes sense.

Our stores go-to for backup is the salesfloor. Never seen them have a different TL up there watching SCO, and certainly never seen an SE-TL on a lane. The most I've seen one of them do is check people out with the myCheckout if the lines are long while asking for backup on the walkie every 2 seconds.

No food avenue here, just Starbucks, and officially it's front end that is to be backing them up.

Other than that, the DSD has said the expectations are the same for all salesfloor TMs. Hours relative to workload, Beauty and Style get the most "free time", so we unofficially leave it to them to handle calls and backup cash, though our ETL-GM and ETL-Specialty Sales have both pretty much flexed their seniority and made it known that backup isn't to be called unless every single person up front is on a register already -- TM, TL, and ETL included. So on heavy days, the ETL-SE will run GS and the Service Advocate will either help run it or jump on a lane while both SETLs are on registers. If the ETL-SE isn't there, one of the SETLs will run GS.
Free time? FREE TIME? Are you effing kidding me?! I have not had one second of "free time" save my breaks and lunches since I started with this company over a year ago! Trust me when I tell you this: my store is not even a top-tier store, and anyone in Softlines who claims they have no work to do is lying or lazy AF. Softlines never, ever has nothing to do. Never ever ever.

I will not answer every single call or go up as a backup, and my leadership knows this. I have the largest section in market and I work freight from two trucks every single day (1 RDC, 1 FDC. Sometimes 2 RDC, 1 FDC. Or 2 RDC, 2 FDC if the dairy/frozen girls can't get their workload done from the day before/call off). If it's my job to push freight, my job to answer calls, and my job to backup cashier, then I'm always going to be failing at two of those things. So I might as well focus on the thing that will have a noticeable, tangible effect.

And that's pushing freight. If the shelves aren't stocked, you won't have any guests to cash out or phone calls to take in the first place. And if the U-boats aren't empty, we won't be able to take tomorrow's truck.
I agree with that. If you are logged in under Market on the zebra, those are the calls that should be coming through.

And I'm totally with you when it comes to backup. Somehow I have successfully positioned myself so that I am not on the radar for that. Knock wood.

I agree there. Compared to a year ago when I left, there have been so many changes within the company and its resulted into departments at each other's throats, or at least my perspective of outside looking in.

You shouldn't be answering all calls if you have logged in to your area. Unfortunately, we can't control the caller, who may not select the correct department. but most of those calls go to GM.

Last edited:
I feel like everyone here has a different phone app. Ours there is no option to select a department when logging in. I guess they rolling this out slowly. Another half ass roll out. When they first made us do phone calls on the device this was literally the first question I asked my ETL and she even agreed has to why that option wasn’t there from day one...

It just didn’t make any sense. You want the salesfloor to answer calls for their department but didn’t fully implement this from day one? There’s no reason why some stores has this feature and some don’t. This should have literally been part of the app for everyone from the start 🙄

Everyone is supposed to take turns being operator, on their turn answering every incoming call and either answering the question or figuring out who the person needs to talk to. It's not that difficult. It's time consuming only when the calls are coming in back to back to back for over half an hour. It's part of the job now.

The store I just left has that new phone tree, but very, very few calls went directly to a single department, nearly all went straight to the overhead/all zebras (depending on the forwarding).

Our “operator” is basically whoever is scheduled in the fitting room. Technically style doesn’t get the most calls, #1 is electronics and second would be guest services then third anywhere in hardlines. And next would be market second to last then style the lowest number of calls.

But we don’t have a person in the fitting room every day so literally they expect everyone on the floor to answer every single call every time. There isn’t any rotation laid out for “operator” at our store if we don’t have a fitting room attendant.

The new way of operating forces TMs to act like TLs, TLs to act like ETLs, and ETLs to act like SDs.

It's.. weird, to say the least. I get that it's because Target raised the minimum, and is paying more (per hour, not overall), but it all seems like too much for a discount retailer. Sales matter most, and the idea is to get them while spending as little as possible. But this new system isn't exactly cheap. It's expensive to run, given the standards that exist. 99 times out of 100, you're not going to hire that perfect employee that does everything, so you're always going to be at a loss.

It's cheaper, easier, and much more efficient to give employees one or two things to focus on and do, because you'll always be able to find someone who can do one or two of those things amazingly well. That's the entire point of an automated assembly line -- they don't have robots that do everything. They have a robot for each one thing.

The slumping process metrics and rising turn-over is pretty obvious. It's from trying to hammer a square box into a circular hole.
You summarized the real situation very well. There might be non-retail types of businesses where this operating model works well. On paper, it could theoretically work at Target but as you said getting this new system to work at a nationwide company with 1,849 stores and 39 distribution centers isn't cheap. A big retail company like Target might have to stop constantly hiring high-school and college students off the street to work randomly-scheduled hourly shifts, and focus instead on hiring people with a few years of real-world work experience that would prepare them for this type of business environment. These kinds of experienced workers, unlike the high school and college students who will just blindly follow orders, won't accept an offer unless they can obtain a full-time job with benefits combined with upward mobility potential, thorough cross-training and realistic amounts of time to complete specific tasks and functions.

If somebody gets coached for following my instructions while I’m lod, the person who coached them is getting coached by the STL. My priority is the business as a whole and it’s guests, and that trumps any single department, workcenter, or task. Until they can handoff the store clean enough for us to have time to do anything that isn’t recovery, there are no non-recovery tasks done at night. I provide a store that is guest-ready, I’m not the truck and backroom fixer. Our guests don’t shop in the back, so that’s where your leftovers go when I find them.

Everyone is supposed to take turns being operator, on their turn answering every incoming call and either answering the question or figuring out who the person needs to talk to. It's not that difficult. It's time consuming only when the calls are coming in back to back to back for over half an hour. It's part of the job now.

No, that's changed. What they are rolling out nowis that guest services is the new operator. The fitting room phones are being moved to the front. The phone tree is actually being implemented in that it's now possible (in some stores) for TMs to sign into the phone app by department. They'll only get the calls for their department. According to my PMT this is not yet at all stores, but will be rolling out to them throughout the summer.

TMs should take note that if a call was meant to go to a specific department and it rings through to guest services, then service advocates are supposed to write down the time and department that didn't pick up so issues can be "addressed."

No, that's changed. What they are rolling out nowis that guest services is the new operator. The fitting room phones are being moved to the front. The phone tree is actually being implemented in that it's now possible (in some stores) for TMs to sign into the phone app by department. They'll only get the calls for their department. According to my PMT this is not yet at all stores, but will be rolling out to them throughout the summer.

TMs should take note that if a call was meant to go to a specific department and it rings through to guest services, then service advocates are supposed to write down the time and department that didn't pick up so issues can be "addressed."
My phone already rings to electronics and I don’t answer it when I’m busy.
So how’s this whole addressing thing going to work? Gonna check the cameras to make sure Tom was helping someone at 3:15 when he didn’t answer? What if someone’s in the bathroom? Are they going to have to write down all the times they have to relieve themself?

I can understand recording repeated calls for the same area and the person not answering. I’m guessing the phone will tell you where the call is supposed to go? Even so that still might not be accurate since I get calls about returns and small appliances all the time in electronics.

If somebody gets coached for following my instructions while I’m lod, the person who coached them is getting coached by the STL. My priority is the business as a whole and it’s guests, and that trumps any single department, workcenter, or task. Until they can handoff the store clean enough for us to have time to do anything that isn’t recovery, there are no non-recovery tasks done at night. I provide a store that is guest-ready, I’m not the truck and backroom fixer. Our guests don’t shop in the back, so that’s where your leftovers go when I find them.
That is how it used to be when I was first hired and for several months. In Softlines we had closers (minimum three, sometimes four) come in at 3 or 4 until close, and ALL they did was zone, except for the fitting room/Mens TM, who also sorted reshop. We used to have very good closes in Softlines, with no one really having trouble completing their area, even if the store was rough at the beginning of the shift.

Now we have three closers (well, one that leaves an hour before closing) that come in for four hours and are expected to push reshop and sometimes even truck, as well as zone. Most of the time we don't get to C9/intimates and accessories and barely get to shoes. Our recovery has definitely suffered. I used to be able to have reshop completely sorted, including fitting room go-backs, plus zone clearance and mens (and sometimes C9) and push mens and clearance reshop. Not anymore.

That’s the way our closing lead operates and I back him up on that.

My phone already rings to electronics and I don’t answer it when I’m busy.
So how’s this whole addressing thing going to work? Gonna check the cameras to make sure Tom was helping someone at 3:15 when he didn’t answer? What if someone’s in the bathroom? Are they going to have to write down all the times they have to relieve themself?

I can understand recording repeated calls for the same area and the person not answering. I’m guessing the phone will tell you where the call is supposed to go? Even so that still might not be accurate since I get calls about returns and small appliances all the time in electronics.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the addressing is supposed to work. Just giving everyone a head's up that their leads might be monitoring this stuff closely.

I think it's silly for GS to be operator. You need a break between people to handle someone on the phone. I'm not saying half an hour, but you do need to dedicate a few minutes to actually helping the phone guest. That's impossible when there's a line, the choice is between keeping the person on hold a ridiculous amount of time or ignoring the guests in line in favor of assisting the guest on the phone. Even when the fitting room was hopping and my location made it easy for guests in need of help elsewhere to find me, there's a different rhythm in customer interaction back at the fitting room and on the sales floor than there is when people are in line expecting to be next.

I think it's silly for GS to be operator. You need a break between people to handle someone on the phone. I'm not saying half an hour, but you do need to dedicate a few minutes to actually helping the phone guest. That's impossible when there's a line, the choice is between keeping the person on hold a ridiculous amount of time or ignoring the guests in line in favor of assisting the guest on the phone. Even when the fitting room was hopping and my location made it easy for guests in need of help elsewhere to find me, there's a different rhythm in customer interaction back at the fitting room and on the sales floor than there is when people are in line expecting to be next.
If people are answering the zebras the way the should be, then very few calls should bounce back to the "operator". Having that phone located at the fitting room is fruitless in our store because we do not have coverage there for hours at a time. They are probably moving it to GS because at least there is someone there most of the day, and maybe they will be more vocal about complaining if floor TMs aren't answering their calls. Softlines is too wimpy (myself included), but if the store is told that this is the way it is with the new system, I will find my voice real quick. I've come at 6 for a four hour shift and had dozens of missed calls at the fitting room - one day recently that number was 90. So that means that no one was answering the zebra and no one picked up at the fitting room for hours. Not exactly great guest service.

i'll be following up with my peers when their team members aren't answering the phone. it's completely unacceptable that the phone is constantly ringing all day long when we've got the new phone tree and myDevice Phone app up and running -- everyone should answer the calls for their department. my advocates first priority has to be the guest in store, and if the team was using the phone correctly, the operator phone at the service desk would very rarely ring.

i'll be following up with my peers when their team members aren't answering the phone. it's completely unacceptable that the phone is constantly ringing all day long when we've got the new phone tree and myDevice Phone app up and running -- everyone should answer the calls for their department. my advocates first priority has to be the guest in store, and if the team was using the phone correctly, the operator phone at the service desk would very rarely ring.
You do know only so many people can be signed into the phone tree at any given time and if they are busy or on break or lunch than what? What if your guest advocate is busy at guest service and doesn't answer up there? I guess they go on a final. The phone system/tree is so flawed still, more than just the number of people that can be connected. Don't believe me just wait. You are so quick to judge a team member not getting the phone without realizing just like MoDeRiZaTiOn it in itself has just as many issues.

Back