MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We might not get double trucks all time but we don’t get any down days. And we never leave backstock regardless of truck size. Getting push done is another story, although we are getting better. But my sales floor looks clean and and always zoned and so does my backroom. In no way, shape or form do we have it easy at my store. We just like to clean up after ourselves and part of this means never rolling over backstock.
If anything stores would roll over push not backstock .

If anything stores would roll over push not backstock .
This is exactly what I’m saying. We roll over push, not backstock. We don’t get down days because we always receive a truck to push. We don’t need a down day to get through backstock because we do it the same day. Every other team at my store has 2-3 down days, not food. Neither my ETL, SD, DSD, FBD nor GVP consider it a down day if we get a truck, whether fdc or rdc. How is getting 8 pallets considered a down day?

I was on the schedule for training. I thought it would be pricing or signing or something.

NOPE.

It was a 2 hour talk from the new SD on what basically amounted to a big bowl of corporate Koolaid. The guest is king, the register is what is most important (because guests could have a great visit but shit service at the register, and they'll complain about that), so answer "fast service" calls always, even if you have other stuff to do.

Corporate's new motto, or mission statement, or whatever the hell it is. "Finding joy in everyday life" or something. I think some exec somewhere got high while watching Marie Kondo...

It was two hours of my life I'll never get back.

ETA: It was an 1100 piece truck and we still rolled some of it over. Gee, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

The guest is king, the register is what is most important (because guests could have a great visit but shit service at the register, and they'll complain about that)

this has been corporate's philosophy for like the past 5 or 6 years. the expectation is actually 1+1 at the checklanes (meaning 1 guest being rang and 1 guest waiting). while that's obviously not realistic, it isn't new either.

this has been corporate's philosophy for like the past 5 or 6 years. the expectation is actually 1+1 at the checklanes (meaning 1 guest being rang and 1 guest waiting). while that's obviously not realistic, it isn't new either.

Then why are we getting a 2 hour "training" session on it just now?

The lecture also gargled Modernization's balls too. The 1+1 thing is mentioned but that was mentioned in the context of "we trained our guests to accept 1+1 so that's what they expect". Also how "we know we're understaffed" (from all those people quitting of course!) but "1+1"

Again, this is all stuff we basically already know. There was no reason to go over it again.

Then why are we getting a 2 hour "training" session on it just now?

The lecture also gargled Modernization's balls too. The 1+1 thing is mentioned but that was mentioned in the context of "we trained our guests to accept 1+1 so that's what they expect". Also how "we know we're understaffed" (from all those people quitting of course!) but "1+1"

Again, this is all stuff we basically already know. There was no reason to go over it again.

i can't speak for your store director, ask him/her

or just enjoy the free pay you just received

What do you guys know about self demotion or basically returning to a regular team member from a team lead position? A guy was transferred to my store from another because he basically self demoted himself from team lead status. He has been with the company for I believe around 15-16 years and was making $23 an hour. He wasn’t a senior team lead. He said they only took $4.50 from him and he couldn’t be happier because he doesn’t have near as much stress as he did before. He said they only take a small percentage of your pay when you basically go backwards. Now other team leads I know are considering this as majority only really make around $16-$17 and will probably only drop to around $14-$15. Although losing $2 could hurt for a minute, in the long run, the stress they save themselves is worth it imo.

What do you guys know about self demotion or basically returning to a regular team member from a team lead position?
I self demoted from team lead several years ago. At that time it was more usual to not allow this and have you promote to guest, but they let me do it. There was a $2.00/hour pay difference that I lost. I know that I make more than most of the leads in our store with none of the stress that they have. I have had. a couple of leads for whom this is an issue, but if they made a thing about it I just smiled and told them they needed to be a better negotiator! :rolleyes:(which I'm pretty sure isn't a thing anymore).

I self demoted from team lead several years ago. At that time it was more usual to not allow this and have you promote to guest, but they let me do it. There was a $2.00/hour pay difference that I lost. I know that I make more than most of the leads in our store with none of the stress that they have. I have had. a couple of leads for whom this is an issue, but if they made a thing about it I just smiled and told them they needed to be a better negotiator! :rolleyes:(which I'm pretty sure isn't a thing anymore).

I’ve heard that they don’t allow you to self demote yourself but I’ve also heard that they can’t fire you if you choose to do it if you were hired as a “regular” team member due to legal reasons even in a “at will to work” state. Not sure what those legal reasons are though. I’ve also heard that they just make you transfer to another store if you decide to do it.

So I'm coming full circle at Target...back to GSTL but it's been 13 years so any tips, direction, yings and yangs please share. On a side note I'll be leaving Inbound/GM1 with a grin and able to say the Kool Aid isn't drank by all leadership. Our visit today our Modernization guy literally said 2 hours every truck is unrealistic and will put you in a place where safety is an issue. Sort before speed was his driving point.

Our visit today our Modernization guy literally said 2 hours every truck is unrealistic and will put you in a place where safety is an issue. Sort before speed was his driving point.
Our store was recently told this as well, after many months of telling us we weren't hitting our times and needed to speed up. Though at the same time, our modernization "expert" changes his tune every time he swings by and seems to enjoy changing things up for seemingly no reason.

It would be neat to get some solid answers on core issues instead of hearing something completely different every 4 months. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment expecting consistency out of Corporate.

What do you guys know about self demotion or basically returning to a regular team member from a team lead position? A guy was transferred to my store from another because he basically self demoted himself from team lead status. He has been with the company for I believe around 15-16 years and was making $23 an hour. He wasn’t a senior team lead. He said they only took $4.50 from him and he couldn’t be happier because he doesn’t have near as much stress as he did before. He said they only take a small percentage of your pay when you basically go backwards. Now other team leads I know are considering this as majority only really make around $16-$17 and will probably only drop to around $14-$15. Although losing $2 could hurt for a minute, in the long run, the stress they save themselves is worth it imo.
I stepped down from a lead position at my previous job and it was awesome. I stayed at the same store, they had no policy against that, and it was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Only downside was they took almost a third of my hourly pay. I fought like hell to get $1.50 more than what they initially said. I know others had stepped down and only lost a couple bucks so I was mad but they wouldn't budge ("different times", blah blah). Still, it was worth it to me to get that stress out of my life.

I was on the schedule for training. I thought it would be pricing or signing or something.

NOPE.

It was a 2 hour talk from the new SD on what basically amounted to a big bowl of corporate Koolaid. The guest is king, the register is what is most important (because guests could have a great visit but shit service at the register, and they'll complain about that), so answer "fast service" calls always, even if you have other stuff to do.

Corporate's new motto, or mission statement, or whatever the hell it is. "Finding joy in everyday life" or something. I think some exec somewhere got high while watching Marie Kondo...

It was two hours of my life I'll never get back.

2 hours?!? The stores in our area are only doing it in 1! Well, whether it's 1 or 2 hours, that's a long time to be off the floor. And imagine my dread trying to schedule it all 😭😭😭

2 hours?!? The stores in our area are only doing it in 1! Well, whether it's 1 or 2 hours, that's a long time to be off the floor. And imagine my dread trying to schedule it all 😭😭😭

It was scheduled for 1 hour but the SD was really chatty. I pretty much got out of there and went straight to break. (I had a really short shift)

And yeah, that was my main complaint. "Free pay" or not, that's 2 hours I'm not pushing, auditing, doing reshop etc. It's more time to get in trouble for not finishing in.

Had my "Inclusive Training" today for about 1.5 hours. They say there focused on guest experience. You cant give a guest a good experience when you dont have product on the shelf and most of store is backfaced. Today we had 10 uboats grocery ,2 flatbeds of bev. a pallet dairy, a pallet of freezer. autofills, reshop and they only scheduled 3 people for the whole day. It looks like for next 2 weeks out only 3 or 4 people sheduled in my market dept. Used to to be 5-6. we are getting way behind. Sales are down. I dont think they care about the guest. To care about the guest you must care about the store. This quartley sales report is going to be interesting.If we dont beat on sales and profit we get blamed when there the ones making the decsion to cut back on staff. Usually in summer time you hire more staff to keep up with customer demand. Not this company. Sad to see such a beutiful store suffer in pain. Its really a simple business.

Huge truck. Lots of callouts (due to the 104+ heat I guess). It looked like when the trucks first come in--like seriously, we rolled over SO MUCH.

I'm glad I'm just the evening person.

So has anybody here figured out the best way to take a double yet?

Took one today but it's impossible without having some vehicles staged on the floor which is obviously a no no.

Back