MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This isn't an ordinary purge. Consider this the Ultimate & Final Purge. In the end, as close to "nothing" has to be in the backroom. Sales Floor capacity doesn't matter. Flex it out at all cost. Today I was questioned why I was back stocking one Heyday car charger. Because the home was filled and there was literally no where else to put it other than the backroom. I think we are a pilot store for this nonsense, which means be prepared for it to be rolled out chain wide.

To an extent, I get it. If everything is zoned to plano, why not keep extra stock behind other things in the lockboxes?

But flexing, especially on peghooks when we've got 50 people going through the area looking for things for SFS and OPU, is stupid. There's also the 10 or so overall people in electronics that work there and don't know how to properly flex, or what's actually been flexed, thus making a giant mess.

Flexing. Groan. Yuck. No. I mean you can do it, but keep in mind that if I go to pick an item and you've flexed other shit out in the location, I'm just going to dump the flexed out shit in your reshop bin per ETL-LOG's directions.
Whoa, seriously?

I've always been of the opinion that it's better to have the stuff out on the floor than languishing in the back. Now, I'm not talking putting thirty of something out and just sticking them anywhere. But if you have say, one or two extra of something and are light in another area, as long as the price is right I don't see a problem with flexing that item behind something else or even filling the hook. But I'm only talking a handful, like I said, not a crapload.

For instance, mens or womens basics. Say four packages fit and I have five or six, I will flex the other two. They are going to sell in a day or two anyway, I don't see the point of backstocking it when it will just sit back there.

So what do you guys think Target’s next step will be? From what I understand, although sales in a lot of stores have been stagnant or even at a loss, for the company as a whole, sales have been up since this modernization began. Once Target hits that $15 an hour for employees, for them to continue to keep the same profit margin they have now, hours will be cut but the workload will be the same. Although I personally believe in the near future, the ETL position will be cut all together which will save stores a lot of money which could factor into the $15 wage hike.

Also, does anyone know if or when TLs will receive a raise? It seems that TLs took on a whole lot of responsibility yet did not receive any financial gain and even lost some as many stores moved from 4am to 6am where in turn, a lot of TLs lost that $1 differential. I feel this is pushing TLs out the door as I see so much more responsibility yet no monetary adjustment.

Whoa, seriously?

I've always been of the opinion that it's better to have the stuff out on the floor than languishing in the back. Now, I'm not talking putting thirty of something out and just sticking them anywhere. But if you have say, one or two extra of something and are light in another area, as long as the price is right I don't see a problem with flexing that item behind something else or even filling the hook. But I'm only talking a handful, like I said, not a crapload.

For instance, mens or womens basics. Say four packages fit and I have five or six, I will flex the other two. They are going to sell in a day or two anyway, I don't see the point of backstocking it when it will just sit back there.

Well, one point of backstocking is that if flex fill gets an order for that item, they are going to be directed to the backroom location where they can pick it from there. If it's improperly located on the floor then flex might have a difficult time finding the item. Style is a bit different because at least we have RFID to help locate what we need, but still please don't flex as it does eat into our time finding items flexed out behind other similar items. Those few places in style that have actual locations, such as basics, are cherished by flex fill TMs when everything is stocked correctly. It's GM where flexing product is the big problem. Style shit only gets tossed into the reshop bin if I find current hanging product unlocated in the back and not on the floor, but that's with the specialty sales TL's blessing. Helps them know what needs to get out of the back and onto the floor.

Last edited:
Well, one point of backstocking is that if flex fill gets an order for that item, they are going to be directed to the backroom location where they can pick it from there. If it's improperly located on the floor than flex might have a difficult time finding the item. Style is a bit different because at least we have RFID to help locate what we need, but still please don't flex as it does eat into our time finding items flexed out behind other similar items. Those few places in style that have actual locations, such as basics, are cherished by flex fill TMs when everything is stocked correctly. It's GM where flexing product is the big problem. Style shit only gets tossed into the reshop bin if I find current hanging product unlocated in the back and not on the floor, but that's with the specialty sales TL's blessing. Helps them know what needs to get out of the back and onto the floor.

I completely agree.

So what do you guys think Target’s next step will be? From what I understand, although sales in a lot of stores have been stagnant or even at a loss, for the company as a whole, sales have been up since this modernization began. Once Target hits that $15 an hour for employees, for them to continue to keep the same profit margin they have now, hours will be cut but the workload will be the same. Although I personally believe in the near future, the ETL position will be cut all together which will save stores a lot of money which could factor into the $15 wage hike.

Also, does anyone know if or when TLs will receive a raise? It seems that TLs took on a whole lot of responsibility yet did not receive any financial gain and even lost some as many stores moved from 4am to 6am where in turn, a lot of TLs lost that $1 differential. I feel this is pushing TLs out the door as I see so much more responsibility yet no monetary adjustment.
Dumping Log-ETLs would be a total disaster...so I assume it's going to happen at some point. 🤣

Watch them roll out a "No more ETLs" like a week before Black Friday 2020. 😭

For real though, I feel bad for TLs. They seem to be eating the brunt of the bullshit, at least at my store. They absolutely deserve a raise if this is the new normal.

More emphasis online, more opu, driveup, etc. Drill down on guest satisfaction, more small stores, and higher employee retention to do more with fewer people. I hope....improved technology.
Going to 14 will ensure employees stay.

Front end at my store is 90% self sufficient now. We rarely need backup. New employees are trained in a few weeks on nearly all tasks except cash office. It's working.

Course, the trick was to restore front end hours. That means we see total mess in pricing from sales floor.

Dumping Log-ETLs would be a total disaster...so I assume it's going to happen at some point. 🤣

Watch them roll out a "No more ETLs" like a week before Black Friday 2020. 😭

For real though, I feel bad for TLs. They seem to be eating the brunt of the bullshit, at least at my store. They absolutely deserve a raise if this is the new normal.

It’s definitely strange how they how they divided up the store. GM1 owns majority of the store and the truck unload at my store. GM1 owns B section (stationary and kitchen), C section (bath, small appliances, home), D section (Bedding, plastics), seasonal, mini seasonal, and luggage. GM2 owns A section (chemicals, HBA, Pharmacy, Pets) and Paper. GM3 owns Toys, sporting goods, baby, and ship from store. GM1 seems to have the most responsibility in my store because the truck unload alone takes a lot of their time.

Same at my store, GM1 TL is essentially early morning SD/LOD. There was a bit of jockeying between the Team Leaders for GM-TL 2 and 3 spots because 1 had way more workload and none wanted it.

At my store, the flow team lead was automatically given GM1 definitely not knowing how much was going to be on his plate. Now he’s debating if it’s even worth it because he wasn’t given a raise and money was taken as he lost the $1 differential.

the start of 4th quarter is upon us already,
this just posted at Target Facebook "Community" page

Screen-Shot-2019-07-23-at-2-34-04-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-07-23-at-2-37-36-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-07-23-at-2-39-19-PM.png

Last edited:
Well, one point of backstocking is that if flex fill gets an order for that item, they are going to be directed to the backroom location where they can pick it from there. If it's improperly located on the floor then flex might have a difficult time finding the item. Style is a bit different because at least we have RFID to help locate what we need, but still please don't flex as it does eat into our time finding items flexed out behind other similar items. Those few places in style that have actual locations, such as basics, are cherished by flex fill TMs when everything is stocked correctly. It's GM where flexing product is the big problem. Style shit only gets tossed into the reshop bin if I find current hanging product unlocated in the back and not on the floor, but that's with the specialty sales TL's blessing. Helps them know what needs to get out of the back and onto the floor.
Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, we are looking at it from different perspectives, flex versus floor. Have to admit, I never really thought about how locating things helps flex, lol. I will keep that in mind.

If you flex underwear packages, then that is that much less room for the stuff that is supposed to be on the peg. And then you get upset guests who can't find their size and style because the medium gray and black boxer briefs have been flexed on to the large gray/black, the medium color and a few on the XL boxers, while their boxer briefs have been flexed onto the small briefs peg.

*cough*

But, again, the Front End is empowered to call for backup. A lone GMTL can't decide that Guest Advocates should be pulled from the lanes to help them push their areas, but a lone SETL can decide that GM Experts should be pulled from their areas to help on the lanes.

cute, except i was replying to your statement that no one helps the salesfloor. i never said anything about the job description. and backup cashiering is literally in the GM expert job description, but ok...

are you a GMTL? because at my store they can and have taken people from the front end to push truck. the closing TL pulls people a bunch at night to help with stuff too.

Because the Front End is specifically empowered to call for backup. Other leaders getting Guest Advocates to help in their areas of the store are an example of ASANTS, not an official thing. The ETL-SE can put a stop to that if they tried, whereas an ETL-GM or ETL-SPS refusing to allow their TMs to backup would find themselves out of a job.

why do you keep using the word empowered when backup cashiering is actually your job. like literally your job

.. because that's what that word means? You, the SETL, have the authority to call them, the GM Experts, for backup. You are empowered to do so.

I, the GMTL, do NOT have the authority to call them, the Guest Advocates, to help push pillows. I am NOT empowered to do so. My ETL-GM might. Or the SD. Or maybe your ETL-SE might offer the help, but Modernization does not afford me the right to take your TMs like it affords you the right to take mine.

And really? I just linked a page of the guidebook. Business needs. It is the job of everyone to do something that needs to be done, regardless of their position. The difference here is that the person making that call needs to be higher up on the totem pole than you, the SETL, need to be to call for backup. Even Service Advocates can call for backup. Any GM Expert or Food & Beverage Expert or SPS Consultant calling the Front End for help is going to be laughed at.

i’m sorry you’re upset your team has to do their jobs. i wish i was in a position to complain about being asked to do the job i was hired to do.

Same at my store, GM1 TL is essentially early morning SD/LOD. There was a bit of jockeying between the Team Leaders for GM-TL 2 and 3 spots because 1 had way more workload and none wanted it.
Not to mention how at my store at least the TMs in GM1 are the ones who unload the truck. This means these TMs have less time than the others to push product, therefore almost always having rollover while everyone else either comes clean or almost clean

i’m sorry you’re upset your team has to do their jobs. i wish i was in a position to complain about being asked to do the job i was hired to do.
Surely you must realize that being called for backup bites the big one, right? And that really, if one is a floor person, cashiering is actually not the job they were hired to do? "Needs of the business", blah blah - if I wanted to get stuck behind a register I would've applied to be a cashier. Which I would never do, because cashiering to me is absolute torture and I would sooner answer the phone in perpetuity than answer one backup call.

While it is part of the job description, it also on paper is meant to be used sparingly. The front end should be able to handle all but the most extreme rushes, and those should be cleared out rapidly by a few extra hands. Unfortunately far too many, well whatever GSAs/GSTLs are called now, have decided that since part of the job description means backing up, they call for backup frequently and don't let them go in a timely manner in order to keep the front end well staffed, the rest of the TMs' duties be damned. The word "backup" is a clear indication that it's not a primary duty, unlike reshop/zone/push/backstock/pricing/guest service/and whatever else needs doing on the sales floor. Calling for backup frequently and for long time periods takes the TMs away from all those primary duties, the TMs get in trouble for not meeting the expectations of those primary duties, and the front end supervisor gets no fallout for the TMs getting in trouble because they spent a quarter of their shift on register.

The front end should be self sufficient to meet the daily demand for separating guests from their money. Just because backup exists doesn't mean you should have a free pass all the time. It's too bad you can't be present at any coaching or write up for failure to complete primary duties, so you can see how relying on the sales floor instead of being self sufficient exacts a cost from the sales floor TMs.

Back