MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The idea is that if you make someone responsible from beginning to end of just one area, they will care about that area and want it to succeed , more than they would if given limited tasks that bounce them around the store. The concept relies on finding people of the right mindset to feel a sense of pride, a "this is my territory and it will be right", and not punch in/punch out.

But implementation sucks all kinds of ways. You want people to feel possessive of their areas, you need to compensate them accordingly, and they need to be in those areas a majority of the week. And they would need some amount of supervisor rights for making decisions to be carried out when they are not there. And the lack of all that is why the DBO concept isn't working very well.
Basically they want regular TMs to be mini-managers, without the pay. Why has it not been implemented in all stores? No one in my store has uttered the phrase Dedicated Business Owner or DBO, though they have talked about some of us "owning" our areas and doing pricing and signing - hasn't really happened yet though.

Basically they want regular TMs to be mini-managers, without the pay. Why has it not been implemented in all stores? No one in my store has uttered the phrase Dedicated Business Owner or DBO, though they have talked about some of us "owning" our areas and doing pricing and signing - hasn't really happened yet though.
I’m not sure what the pay is like where you live but over here Target is paying well above what an assistant manager with keys would make at most local stores. This would include storefronts at the malls. So at least in some areas of the country TMs are being paid like mini managers.. 🤷‍♀️

I’m not sure what the pay is like where you live but over here Target is paying well above what an assistant manager with keys would make at most local stores. This would include storefronts at the malls. So at least in some areas of the country TMs are being paid like mini managers.. 🤷‍♀️

The pay part is true. But, I don't know many managers that only work 4 hours a day. Most of our dbo's don't even come on at 20 hours a week.

Alas, Target isn't a grocery store. I scan fast. But, we remove hangers, wrap glass objects, price match, adjust for signage mistakes, fix cartwheel mistakes, and deal with registers that freeze often, while selling redcards, giving out stickers, and so on.

A 300 dollar basket can take 14, 15 minutes. Ih yes, and then coupons....

Personally, I like that there's no more GSAs. At least now, most are working.

The pay part is true. But, I don't know many managers that only work 4 hours a day. Most of our dbo's don't even come on at 20 hours a week.
13 an hour is not enough to be the bottom line in a department. I was making more than that at my previous job, and the low pay for key holders in small mall stores is exactly why I didn't make the move to one when I worked at our local mall. This was maybe seven years ago, and they wanted to pay me 11 an hour - nope! I made more than that as a straight cashier.

Good point about the hours too. A guaranteed 30 should be minimum, as well as a part-timer to help. It's just unrealistic to expect one person to own an area with 20 hours a week or less.

Our STL was promising 40 to DBOs earlier this year.

A month later, almost everyone's hours were cut across the board. I'm only getting hours the next couple of schedules because of all the turnover. It's also a bit weird to see the ETLs send home our experienced workers because of hours but HR is doing 6-10 interviews a day for seasonal staff. *shrug*

A month later, almost everyone's hours were cut across the board. I'm only getting hours the next couple of schedules because of all the turnover. It's also a bit weird to see the ETLs send home our experienced workers because of hours but HR is doing 6-10 interviews a day for seasonal staff. *shrug*

Ours is hiring like this too. Apparently theres trouble in getting new people to stay and they want to "keep going until we get the right crew"

I was liking the 22 hour weeks well enough. Not great but between me and my wife we were doing good.

Hours cut here too. I have one four hour shift next week. I'm wondering how long they'll make this go on before they sack up and fire me (if that's what they want, I mean)

5 years ago starting tl pay was $11. So technically we are getting paid like a tl with responsibilities from back then. Tl responsibility now is worse.
Obviously, hours are not the same.

Last edited:

Same happened here. They tried to convince me not to take my new job because we'd be moving to 8 hour shifts "soon", which lasted for about a month and now everyone's back to 5 hour shifts. Experienced TMs are leaving and no one new they hire sticks around...gee, I wonder why?

The thing is even with this higher pay, most people need stability to survive. Take away TLs guaranteed benefits and hours and how many could still afford to work here? Thats why so many TMs are taking pay cuts at new jobs for guaranteed 40, or at least a consistent schedule they can plan a second job around.

I know people that are/were assistant managers at office supply stores, craft stores and construction supply stores. The lowest anyone told me was $30k, the highest was $40k. Please don't say that Target pays better than that.

Ordinary keyholders, sure, but they don't have to keep an eye on sales trends and make decisions to vary from corporate layout plans or have the authority and position protection to look Karen in the eye and say no and it be written in stone.

It depends on how many hours they work. There are TMs at my store that haven’t been around forever who are going to gross over $30k this year. Mostly it depends on the area. I work in a poverty area without a lot of opportunities and that’s why on a slow week we’ll still have 70 applications drop. Half of our team walks, buses, gets a ride, or rides their bike to work. Most of our guests pay in cash because that’s how they get paid. Not all stores are the same and neither are the demographics.

I know people that are/were assistant managers at office supply stores, craft stores and construction supply stores. The lowest anyone told me was $30k, the highest was $40k. Please don't say that Target pays better than that.

Ordinary keyholders, sure, but they don't have to keep an eye on sales trends and make decisions to vary from corporate layout plans or have the authority and position protection to look Karen in the eye and say no and it be written in stone.

I’m not sure what your message was to be if it’s saying target doesn’t pay that range for TL? Which they do because I’m closer to the 40k.

Or was it a reference that you can be a higher position somewhere else with far less responsibility? Which could be true.

I know someone who was as a manager for a very small store and came to target and felt that Target was more brutal on demands.

The post I quoted said that DBOs at Target are paid better than assistant store managers at other stores who have equal responsibilities.

I seriously doubt that a DBO at Target is making $40k or more.

The post I quoted said that DBOs at Target are paid better than assistant store managers at other stores who have equal responsibilities.

I seriously doubt that a DBO at Target is making $40k or more.
Right. Plus, my point was that DBOs have basically all the responsibilty for their areas, yet are not given any more money than a cashier or other TMs who are not DBOs. And to top it off, they are not being given any more hours. This seems like a big fail to me. There is absolutely no benefit to being a DBO, only more responsibility.

With the front end modernization changes most guest advocates at my store would love to move to the salesfloor. Several already have. Being "just a cashier" these days isn't exactly an easy role despite what it might look like to TMs who only backup for a little bit.

With the front end modernization changes most guest advocates at my store would love to move to the salesfloor. Several already have. Being "just a cashier" these days isn't exactly an easy role despite what it might look like to TMs who only backup for a little bit.
Being a cashier sucks, I wouldn't do it. However, for most retail businesses it is still considered an entry-level position. My point is not to denigrate cashiers, my point is that DBOs are not getting any more money than any other TMs in the building, yet they are being given a lot more responsibility. Theoretically, at least, because like I said, it has not really happened at my store yet. So, more responsibility, more headaches, for no more pay than any other TM and no guaranteed hours. Pass.

Being a cashier sucks, I wouldn't do it. However, for most retail businesses it is still considered an entry-level position. My point is not to denigrate cashiers, my point is that DBOs are not getting any more money than any other TMs in the building, yet they are being given a lot more responsibility. Theoretically, at least, because like I said, it has not really happened at my store yet. So, more responsibility, more headaches, for no more pay than any other TM and no guaranteed hours. Pass.

we don’t have “just” cashiers anymore. at least not supposed to. every guest advocate needs to be operating at the same level we were expecting from GSAs. it’s actually making it really hard for me and my ETL to recruit externally.

we don’t have “just” cashiers anymore. at least not supposed to. every guest advocate needs to be operating at the same level we were expecting from GSAs. it’s actually making it really hard for me and my ETL to recruit externally.
I understand, and to clarify, I never used the word "just" when referring to cashiers. They'd have to give me 20 bucks an hour to do that job, and even then, I'd have to think about it.

I still don’t get the point of the term DBO.... if anyone is truly a DBO are the TL/ETL.

TL/ETL literally has the call to redesign/reorganize the Backroom to what they feel is best for their business ( I did in all my TL roles), TL/ETL are in constant communication with Vendors and has the authority of dictating where products go, authority to refuse an order from a vendor or accept (Beverage for example), authority to reassign TMs to various workcenters depending on the needs of the overall store/business.

What the hell is a TM the DBO of??? Following orders? Yes they’ll know where products are on the floor, or what they have in the back, they do their pricing, sales planners, and can read off the sales off MPM....but what are they owning? Where is the true ownership? The only thing they own is the blame if their routine tasks aren’t completed.

The Experts in each area don’t have the authority of ownership. Yes they’ll know their area (making them an expert) but they don’t own a damn thing about it lol. They don’t get the final say, they do their routines and follow what leadership tells them to do. 🙄

I cringe anytime I have used the term DBO because it’s a bunch of crock.

Last edited:
Minimum wage hasn’t increased our paychecks, Target has. In my state the minimum wage is under $7.50, which is significantly less than Target pays. For my area an assistant manager with closing responsibilities can be offered under our base pay of $13/hour and people will gladly take it to have a check. That’s all my post was trying to say.

Before anyone else tries to prove me wrong or correct me about anything I’ll say it - it all comes down to hours. I work at a store where the Leaders support the TMs and will make sure they have the hours they need to own their areas. If that means we have to add hours we will, my SD isn’t afraid to do that, he knows he can speak to the payroll he spends.

There will always be easier jobs that pay better and harder jobs that pay less.

The post I quoted said that DBOs make more money than assistant managers at other stores. Um, nope. They might make more than keyholders but they have a level of responsibility as assistant managers.

Back