MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Minimum wage hasn’t increased our paychecks, Target has. In my state the minimum wage is under $7.50, which is significantly less than Target pays. For my area an assistant manager with closing responsibilities can be offered under our base pay of $13/hour and people will gladly take it to have a check. That’s all my post was trying to say.

Before anyone else tries to prove me wrong or correct me about anything I’ll say it - it all comes down to hours. I work at a store where the Leaders support the TMs and will make sure they have the hours they need to own their areas. If that means we have to add hours we will, my SD isn’t afraid to do that, he knows he can speak to the payroll he spends.

There will always be easier jobs that pay better and harder jobs that pay less.

Good lord, the amount of states with minimum wage under $8.00 is appalling. Federal minimum wage should be $10.00 by now. People can't even live on that, but it sure beats $7.25. Yikes. In New England, all states but one pay over $10.00 (Shame on you, New Hampshire!)

I understand, and to clarify, I never used the word "just" when referring to cashiers. They'd have to give me 20 bucks an hour to do that job, and even then, I'd have to think about it.

my bad, i guess i misinterpreted your use of the word cashier! sorry about that

The daily grid at my store is supposed to have a shift label next to each TM in GM so they know what department they will be in that day. A few TMs have a set area like HBA, Pets, and HHC but then most other TMs are just everywhere. One day Stationary and then the next Seasonal. Then many times, areas are just left off all together which leaves us to scramble around to have a TM push their area then run to another. For instance, I’ve seen days where there was no one assigned to Paper, HBA, and Kitchen. So now, we have to hope to find someone who can push those areas along with the pulls.

I’m not sure how much the average GMTL makes but I’m at around 45k-47k (obviously before taxes and I have no dependents so taxes hit me hard) a year which includes my base pay, holiday pay which is time and a half plus getting the standard 8 hour base pay holiday pay, and over time which I probably average 5k worth a year during the 4th quarter and various times of the year. I actually know a few regular TMs who average 35k a year themselves. So is that extra 10k-12k a year worth 2-3 times the workload I have compared to those TMs? That’s a question I ask myself every day.

I still don’t get the point of the term DBO.... if anyone is truly a DBO are the TL/ETL.

TL/ETL literally has the call to redesign/reorganize the Backroom to what they feel is best for their business ( I did in all my TL roles), TL/ETL are in constant communication with Vendors and has the authority of dictating where products go, authority to refuse an order from a vendor or accept (Beverage for example), authority to reassign TMs to various workcenters depending on the needs of the overall store/business.

What the hell is a TM the DBO of??? Following orders? Yes they’ll know where products are on the floor, or what they have in the back, they do their pricing, sales planners, and can read off the sales off MPM....but what are they owning? Where is the true ownership? The only thing they own is the blame if their routine tasks aren’t completed.

The Experts in each area don’t have the authority of ownership. Yes they’ll know their area (making them an expert) but they don’t own a damn thing about it lol. They don’t get the final say, they do their routines and follow what leadership tells them to do. 🙄

I cringe anytime I have used the term DBO because it’s a bunch of crock.

I've laughed at the coined term before. I mean, heck, if I'm truly a 'business owner' couldn't I decide to do my own sale price points? Maybe decide to have a flash sale and mark everything down for a day to push my own sales? I guess I could but that would mean I'd also be looking for another job the next day LOL.
I guess Target is really good at fancy wording to make someone feel more included and bring empowerment to their role. Instead of 'manager' which may seem daunting to an employee, the term 'lead' is used. Instead of associates, you are a TEAM member. All these phrases encompass that feeling of positivity. We don't have a daily 'budget', it's a sale's GOAL. You already feel a difference saying it.
So, in the spirit of Dedicated Business Owners.... It should be more like 'dedicated day-to-day area accountability'. And there are some opportunities that present themselves as well within this role title, or at least how my store runs it and understands it.
I am responsible (accountable) for getting product to the sale's floor from a truck unload- including case stock and repacks, do my own pulls, shoot outs and pull them as well, update numbers, audit my outs, do sale's planners, zone, reshop or go backs, etc etc etc. Basically termed owning how this part of the store runs. (You probably know this but for those who haven't experienced the DBO thing, here it is.)
But I can change it up and it's left up to me, the owner of this part of the business, how to go about it and what I can do that day and what I could leave for another day. I 'own' one of the most largest areas in our store, so sometimes my repacks are stupid insane (due to me having even more of the C & D block for a while and recently telling them to give HIPA to someone else so I can succeed has left the numbers in disarray especially from another DBO that owned part of my area and never got numbers corrected- and I am currently working on that). I am confirmed by my ETL that it's impossible to do every step every day in my section, so it's up to me to speak to what business decisions I make each shift. Currently, I have made rounds in chunking up my area for the week and shooting audits. I won't EXF my outs all together, I do it when I shoot the audits in that section. I'm also working in small batches to update my numbers, my biggest challenge is still my towels. And while I am nearly capped on hours, I still get scheduled FF and have someone else work my area on truck days if they take me to fulfill... fulfillment. So there's a challenge yet where I have begun to give -some- direction on problem areas and how I'd like my area and backroom locations to be handled. So far it's well received and found my direct lead lurking and smiling at my current game plan I discussed with another DBO that tends the area.
I'm doing more than just handling truck and zoning. Literally, the company wants these DBO's to get to a point to make decisions that a leader-type would and fully understand and carry out business processes. You mentioned vendors.... while we generally expect TL's to make large decisions in areas (like market), it's certainly not above any TM's working over there to know what is expected and have carried out regular meetings with them- especially those working the area all the time and with know-how. Heck, when I was a GSA and my GSTL wasn't around, I would help vendors from time to time with space on endcaps should I have had some I was willing to part with. Just like empowerment with guests and decisions up front for a sale, it's empowerment for the sale's floor. It's the company reflecting 15 an hour and what responsibilities within the role you will have to accomplish to earn that (it's not quite 'livable wage' but that's a whole conversation for another time).
DBO is just another Target-coined phrase to get those in this role feeling empowered and positive. The leads themselves are there to make sure the wheel is well-oiled and holding the DBO's accountable.

Basically they want regular TMs to be mini-managers, without the pay. Why has it not been implemented in all stores? No one in my store has uttered the phrase Dedicated Business Owner or DBO, though they have talked about some of us "owning" our areas and doing pricing and signing - hasn't really happened yet though.
I totally agree they don’t give enough hours to DBOs but to say you’re mini mangers is just dumb. DBOs are end to end TMs for hardliners areas the same way market has been for a couple years. You just do a bunch of smaller things in one area instead of pushing truck in 10 different areas every week. You don’t coach, you don’t do interviews, you don’t plan BTC sets, you don’t fire TMs, you don’t hold people accountable, you don’t do floor walks with your DSD and talk about why your business is or is not succeeding. You’re a TM with more skills than a TM that worked at target last year. Being a hard working TM doesn’t make you a “mini manager without the pay”. You’re still doing TM level work just a different kind

One of the things that was pounded in that DBOs would have to know (as I was walking out the door) was knowing sales and sales trends for the area, so DBOs could make plans for boosting what's bad and running forward with what's good by how they handle placement of their area's inventory. That's hardly TM level of work.

I totally agree they don’t give enough hours to DBOs but to say you’re mini mangers is just dumb. DBOs are end to end TMs for hardliners areas the same way market has been for a couple years. You just do a bunch of smaller things in one area instead of pushing truck in 10 different areas every week. You don’t coach, you don’t do interviews, you don’t plan BTC sets, you don’t fire TMs, you don’t hold people accountable, you don’t do floor walks with your DSD and talk about why your business is or is not succeeding. You’re a TM with more skills than a TM that worked at target last year. Being a hard working TM doesn’t make you a “mini manager without the pay”. You’re still doing TM level work just a different kind
Yikes, why so harsh? I was giving my opinion of what being a DBO sounds like to me. If you disagree, that's fine, but no need to be rude about it.

One of the things that was pounded in that DBOs would have to know (as I was walking out the door) was knowing sales and sales trends for the area, so DBOs could make plans for boosting what's bad and running forward with what's good by how they handle placement of their area's inventory. That's hardly TM level of work.
Thank you, and I agree.

Yikes, why so harsh? I was giving my opinion of what being a DBO sounds like to me. If you disagree, that's fine, but no need to be rude about it.

Thank you, and I agree.
I apologize if I sounded harsh but that’s what most of the TMs here think and it’s BS. It’s the same way before modernization every hard working TM thought they deserved to be a TL. There’s a lot more to it than being a good TM

I apologize if I sounded harsh but that’s what most of the TMs here think and it’s BS. It’s the same way before modernization every hard working TM thought they deserved to be a TL. There’s a lot more to it than being a good TM
Thank you, I appreciate it!

I realize there is a lot more to being a leader, as I used to be one at my old company. That is why I used the phrase "mini-manager", because a DBO doesnt have to deal with a lot of the stuff managers do. But the position definitely sounds like it's putting a lot more responsibility on some TMs, and that they are being held accountable for things they were not held accountable for before.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I realize there is a lot more to being a leader, as I used to be one at my old company. That is why I used the phrase "mini-manager", because a DBO doesnt have to deal with a lot of the stuff managers do. But the position definitely sounds like it's putting a lot more responsibility on some TMs, and that they are being held accountable for things they were not held accountable for before.
I would agree it’s a different kind of responsibility and definitely a culture shock for a lot of TMs. I do think it’s requiring TLs to finally hold their TMs accountable where before modernization there was little to no accountability for regular hardlines TMs. It was more hey do reshop and push as much as you can. Sure there was a reasonable idea of how much should have been done in a set amount of time but realistically no metric or measurement to hold them accountable. I totally think the idea of a “DBOs” is a full time idea with part time team members in that respect it’s totally unfair but if properly scheduled and divvied our between TMs I don’t think modernization deserves more pay as you’re just doing different types of the same work. Plano, inbound, hardlines, and pricing were all TMs positions before and still are now.

honestly this is advice i wish i would've gotten before promoting. i think i'm doing a good job of "leading" but damn it's been a culture shock for sure.
I had the same attitude when I was a GSA and wanted GSTL. “Hey I’m already doing it might as well get paid for it”. Boy was I wrong. Lots more to do and lots more stress to come with it. I work less hard physically now as a TL but I definitely work more than I ever did as a TM

I had the same attitude when I was a GSA and wanted GSTL. “Hey I’m already doing it might as well get paid for it”. Boy was I wrong. Lots more to do and lots more stress to come with it. I work less hard physically now as a TL but I definitely work more than I ever did as a TM

i'm trying to figure out how i can stop bringing work stress home with me. tbh i work more than 40 hours a week, but without hitting overtime. it's especially rough since i don't have a peer SETL and haven't since my onboarding.

i'm trying to figure out how i can stop bringing work stress home with me. tbh i work more than 40 hours a week, but without hitting overtime. it's especially rough since i don't have a peer SETL and haven't since my onboarding.
That’s rough. When I was GSTL I was at a 65 million dollar store and it was just me for a couple months because right when I got promoted the other GSTL left the company. It sucked and feel your pain 😂

The first time I was management at my old company I brought home the stress all the time. I think I posted this somewhere before, but I would go to sleep thinking about work and wake up thinking about it. I stepped down for a while, and got promoted again a couple of years later. I vowed I would not take that stress home with me this time and I was somehow able to mostly keep that vow. What helped was me noticing that managers who were not as particular as me, who did not work as hard and did not have the attention to detail that I had, still seemed to be keeping their jobs and not getting into any kind of trouble. It helped me relax and realize that even if things weren't perfect, it was going to be ok.

I still work at a certain level, even as a regular TM - my work ethic is ingrained and slacking off would honestly take effort - but I don't sweat the small stuff, or even the big stuff anymore.

And PLEASE, don't work off the clock! Don't give your talent and skill away!

And PLEASE, don't work off the clock! Don't give your talent and skill away!

There is a tl at my store who admits he works off the clock all the time. He even talked about it freely in front of 10 people in the break room the other day. But the sd and etls turn a blind eye to it. Meanwhile, if you work one minute over your schedule some weeks, you could be written up. Double standard much Target?

honestly this is advice i wish i would've gotten before promoting. i think i'm doing a good job of "leading" but damn it's been a culture shock for sure.
target is a retiree job for me. In my career, I went from professional position into management position. My experience is that transition takes a couple of years.

But one thing for sure I know. Be positive. Nothing worthwhile comes from negative. I'm watching a smart AP gal now torpedo her career because she's implemented new policies fast and they are all based on negative.

It won't work. She will hit the wall. And she'll be gone.

"All other duties based on business needs"

the alternative to Starbucks choosing not to support my Service and Engagement team is my Service and Engagement team not supporting Starbucks. when my Starbucks team calls for a backup, i send them a backup. that would very quickly stop if they weren't going to help my team out when we're slammed. good luck getting a response from the GM team to ring orders at Starbucks, lol.
As a SETL , it is your responsibility to backup Sbux.

Should still be used sparingly. Not enough Guest Advocates? Pull all but 1 person from SD and put them on a lane. Hop on a lane yourself, or watch SCO while the Advocate there hops on a lane -- and while you're on SCO, hop on the closest lane yourself and do both. Get the ETL-SE on a lane, as well as all the other SETLs. Doing alright on carts? Front of Store Attendant on a lane. Then, if you must, call for backup. SE owns the front. They shouldn't be calling for backup unless they absolutely, positively have no other choice but to do so, which means already having all hands on deck.

.. yet I often see multiple SETLs at the front doing nothing but watching. I see multiple Advocates at the SD despite there being just 1 or 2 guests up there. I see the Advocate at SCO staring at the single guest using it, and nothing else. You talk about expectations of the front, yet you completely ignore all the primary expectations that every other department has. God forbid you have 2 guests waiting on a lane, better call someone away from their push, backstock, pulls, zoning, pricing, and plano workload! That's a joke, and you should know it.

Unless the front is literally on fire, I wouldn't send any of my TMs up to backup. The SD herself can hop on a lane first, if need be.

That's not exclusive to the front end. Imagine being a GMTL and having half your team call off with the other half called to help backup, then having to explain why your pulls, backstock, push, zoning, price change, and plano didn't get done.
So, you must have missed the part where Target has repeatedly made mention of how EVERY. SINGLE. JOB DUTY. of EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE STORE revolves around the guest.

You are prioritizing your workload over the guest. Guests come first. If your work doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. Guests first. Not tasking. Guests.

If it's dumb and doesn't work, that's on Corprate. We are supposed to be guest obsessed, not petty and childish about one area having "less" to do than others.

So the front end should always be allowed to function at 100% and operate perfectly while the rest of the store looks like shit?

How does you leaving your lane for a few seconds reflect more poorly on the store than entire aisles not being stocked? Or no price change being done? Or resets/transitions being a week behind? Case in point, the vast majority of guest complaints about stores on social media have nothing at all to do with the front end, but instead with freight being on the floor and shelves being empty.

Frankly, Modernization killed the whole "one team, one dream" schtick. I don't care about the store. I care about my area. If two people call off in my area and the last person is getting called for backup, the store may not suffer, but my area will. The area that I own will suffer. Why should I be okay with that?
How does it reflect poorly?

A guest being helped and then having that TM walk away in the middle of a transaction to help assist with some other issue that can take who knows how long leaves a MUCH worse impression on a guest than empty shelves. Empty shelves make them upset, but being ignored while being helped pisses them off even more.

You clearly do not understand the guest aspect of your job. Tasks do not matter. At all. Let them coach. Corporate is all about the guest now. If they want that, then the tasks come last. That's how it goes.

Back