MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Seems a bit strange. You'd think "Executive" in Executive Team Leader would be enough to differentiate it from Team Leader without having to cut "er" from the latter.

Not that it matters, really. It's always ETL or TL anyway.

Not to mention that, "Lead", Usurps, "Leader", in our English Language.

Lead.... All Team leads will be Leads.... ETL's will be Leaders

It seems to me that doing this, intentionally or not, creates the perception of less distance between lead and leader. New team members are going to get confused and just think, "well, they're all managers." Maybe in making leads "business owners" they're trying to bridge that distance.

Also, something that I don't think was mentioned yet - Sr. ETL goes away and just becomes a regular leader. So there are going to be some fun, "you were my boss but now you're my peer" experiences among leaders.

Biggest cultural change is all titles have had “team” removed from them. It’s now directors, leaders, leads and depending what silo you fall under advocate, consultants and experts.

Biggest operational change is everything. First thing we were told is don’t compare new positions and titles to existing ones. These are completely new positions that will look and feel very different than existing operational models. Basically the 26 districts pioloting this are writing the book on how it looks when rolled out company wide. It’s actually pretty exciting.

We were told they still exist, but I think that was to appease TLs temporarily because I did not see anything about it. The org chart didn’t call for a Plano TL so that is my guess.

Pricing and POG are gone. GM will be modernized as well. Home will be taking are of their pog and and pricing with their own team, along with chem, toys ets with their own teams. HL was split into 3 at our store.

Sooo what positions are gone ?

For people not in the pilot this is going to be a really hard thing to understand because basically the old operational model is gone. Finished. Dead. This is a complete rewrite of how stores will be structured. And honestly it’s intentionally vague at this point so that the pilot stores have flexibility to make the necessary changes needed to eventually roll out successfully company wide.

For people not in the pilot this is going to be a really hard thing to understand because basically the old operational model is gone. Finished. Dead. This is a complete rewrite of how stores will be structured. And honestly it’s intentionally vague at this point so that the pilot stores have flexibility to make the necessary changes needed to eventually roll out successfully company wide.

Pretty much. I did get to look at the new model of the positions but it’s still very confusing since you can’t use the old model as a template. Everything pretty much branches out from store director(stl). Both Ap and pmt are outliers since they no longer report to the stl. I am sure it will be posted here at some point and hopefully make it easier for those not in the pilot to understand.

Are you in the pilot? Cause etl wont be lods.. there expected to work in there areas.
etls will still be lod's on weekends when needed. Leads with keys will cover as much as possible and leaders will rotate as well.

etls will still be lod's on weekends when needed. Leads with keys will cover as much as possible and leaders will rotate as well.

Forgot about the weekends since we didn't really talk about it during meeting. But we'll find out more next week.

Are you in the pilot? Cause etl wont be lods.. there expected to work in there areas.
No, not that I'm aware of. They said starting April 1st, one LOD shift/week and no set schedule, reports to APBP instead of STL. Most likely will be LOD on weekends since there's only me (a SR) and another ETL on our weekend.

Biggest cultural change is all titles have had “team” removed from them. It’s now directors, leaders, leads and depending what silo you fall under advocate, consultants and experts.
That's interesting. Did they elaborate more on who is an advocate/consultant/expert? I'm assuming areas like electronics and cosmetics will have "experts," is A&A "consultant"?

Our STL said structure changes were coming. I wonder how much will be shared with us not in a pilot from our own store leadership.

Just a few random thoughts.....

I'd suggest that those of us not in the pilot program not worry about the changes. First of all it is going to take quite awhile for these pilot store/districts to get things all figured out. The bugs of this pilot program will have to be worked out. They are also going to run in to issues that no one has anticipated. Things will have to be fixed/changed/gotten rid of....and then they'll probably try to roll out this to all stores.

Keep in mind that Spot has tried other things and after the pilot program has been run they stop it. So, don't get too hyped up. It will, more than likely, be quite awhile before this gets ready to be rolled out....if it does indeed do what is expected.

Even now the E2E program isn't what it was expected to be....and this has been in the works for quite some time....

Just think about some of the recent things they've tried....pre-paid Target RedCards, refillable gift cards (you know, the black gift cards at registers), Red Perks, trying to be able to get debit cards at the store without a check, Canada, all the designers that they've feature for example: Lily Pullitzer, Missoni, the store from New York (the one that was in the colors of blue & white) and I'm sure that there may be some other things that they've tried.

Right now they are in the midst of making drastic changes to the appearance of Spot's stores, closing stores in Minnesota and trying out this new Target Red discount cards, still working on getting Cartwheel figured out.....(and of course Cartwheel isn't as good as it was when it first started).
So, try to be patient and don't worry about crossing this "bridge" until we all get to it.

That's interesting. Did they elaborate more on who is an advocate/consultant/expert? I'm assuming areas like electronics and cosmetics will have "experts," is A&A "consultant"?

Advocate is front end. Consultant is the sellers, electronics,beuaty,a&a.. expert are backroom, flow and hardlines.

It seems like it greatly reduces any chances of internal promotions from lead to leader as long as they keep hiring summer interns.

Back