MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
this has happened.

Hell, one time I was so pissed I backstocked an entire U-boat of hba repacks (4 boxes) because no one would work it.

The problem with Market is spot doesn't want to invest in it. They don't want to fix it so its profitable. They want it to be a loss leader for the clothes. SMH
People need food more than clothes. Until this gets into their heads, nothing will change.
My store was a super. I loved our market. It was well taken care of and had a lot of products I couldn’t and can’t find anywhere else.

They don't want to fix it so its profitable. They want it to be a loss leader for the clothes. SMH

It's actually the reverse. Grocery just doesn't have the same gross margins as clothing does. Target's attempts to make it more profitable has been "only carry the most commonly sold items, cut out everything else, and gut the hours". This gave us the PFresh disaster that paved the way for every major grocery chain to kick our ass in the food market.

Having it as a semi loss leader that boosted sales in other areas was a great source of foot traffic. Ever since our last remodel did away with a large chunk of grocery items (while still remaining a SuperTarget), our grocery sales have dropped noticeably. We got rid of all of our Hispanic foods other than the major name brand stuff like Old El Paso that's marketed mainly towards non-Hispanics. Never mind the fact that over 30% of our demographic is Hispanic and they bought Fiesta brand all the damn time. We got rid of larger packages of chicken legs and wings, all bone-in chicken thighs, and a bunch of other meat products too. Can't buy legs/wings for a party? Say goodbye to a ton of sales on grilling holidays and game days.

People generally don't do their grocery shopping at a store that can't fill their list. It's gotten to the point that I don't do my grocery shopping at my store anymore.

In my former market Target is now only paying $1 over the state's minimum wage. This is in NYS. This means you cannot expect people to do all of these things for at most $40 per week more than what they would be paid to just show up at say the local grocery chain or a dollar store.

We had a TL meeting today and it was unofficially announced our district will be seeing this after fourth quarter... it was a quote somewhere along the lines of, “there are a lot of chances coming that I’m sure some of your have heard whispers of and there will be a lot of title changes and modernizing coming beginning of next year.”

It's actually the reverse. Grocery just doesn't have the same gross margins as clothing does. Target's attempts to make it more profitable has been "only carry the most commonly sold items, cut out everything else, and gut the hours". This gave us the PFresh disaster that paved the way for every major grocery chain to kick our ass in the food market.

Having it as a semi loss leader that boosted sales in other areas was a great source of foot traffic. Ever since our last remodel did away with a large chunk of grocery items (while still remaining a SuperTarget), our grocery sales have dropped noticeably. We got rid of all of our Hispanic foods other than the major name brand stuff like Old El Paso that's marketed mainly towards non-Hispanics. Never mind the fact that over 30% of our demographic is Hispanic and they bought Fiesta brand all the damn time. We got rid of larger packages of chicken legs and wings, all bone-in chicken thighs, and a bunch of other meat products too. Can't buy legs/wings for a party? Say goodbye to a ton of sales on grilling holidays and game days.

People generally don't do their grocery shopping at a store that can't fill their list. It's gotten to the point that I don't do my grocery shopping at my store anymore.

You made my point. Sometimes I don't feel that Spot actually understands what is actually going on. Cutting out something doesn't always help. How about a New Day makeover for Archer farms? Or A pets reno. We get half assed attempts because people have the mindset that you witnessed.

Yes, food is a thin margin. You make money on repeat business. Not the Hey, I just sold a 1000 TV with a 10 HDMI cord or I sold 2 $30 bra pantie sets and a hunter jacket.

A person who walks in to buy food everyday, will notice when the sale for the vaccum or clothes happen and will get it organically. No need for online ads, hard sells or gimmacks.

We are heavily Hispanic (30%) so they honestly don't care that much for the clothes as they do for the food and other hardlines stuff. That doesn't mean our clothes don't sell. Its that we need to stop thinking of ourself as a clothing store that sells other things. That special extra 5% this week will mean more to our food shoppers than it will to those buying A&A.

Backroom, Flow, Plano and Hardlines have all become General Sales Merch Leads

True, however not all of them will get that. Our store doesn't need 4 GSMLs Our Plano will stay closing and with out Senior TL and I will stay dayside. Flow might be transferered out.

Last edited:
I have a question for Pilot LV stores (up to 27M) regarding leadership.

Did you loose/gain any ETL's? Or is the head count basically the same?

Does the leadership chart reflect this one posted earlier (I believe by MrLogistics?):

upload_2018-4-24_9-49-31.png

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been asked or if anyone would even know but what does store mod changes mean for the front end ? Starting to Feel a little cheated at the fact that Style team, softlines whatever you want to call it has all this new workload and responsibility now for the same pay as cashiers who just stand and talk and can't even be bothered to help fold a graphic tee table or pick up a my device right at GS so they have TO call for style team to look up an item that they could've checked themselves to see we clearly are out of stock in.. Sorry rant over but still come ON!!! and I'm honestly not against them I have great respect for them having to directly deal with guests as they do, backed up enough to have my own insight into the foolishness that comes to them ,and I don't think certain areas are better n higher than others just I don't see how that's fair with as much of the work salesfloor is required to put in now ......

Question being what changes comes to front end ,guest services , cashiers ?

Not sure if this has been asked or if anyone would even know but what does store mod changes mean for the front end ? Starting to Feel a little cheated at the fact that Style team, softlines whatever you want to call it has all this new workload and responsibility now for the same pay as cashiers who just stand and talk and can't even be bothered to help fold a graphic tee table or pick up a my device right at GS so they have TO call for style team to look up an item that they could've checked themselves to see we clearly are out of stock in.. Sorry rant over but still come ON!!! and I'm honestly not against them I have great respect for them having to directly deal with guests as they do, backed up enough to have my own insight into the foolishness that comes to them ,and I don't think certain areas are better n higher than others just I don't see how that's fair with as much of the work salesfloor is required to put in now ......

We have new titles, but honestly not a whole lot has changed at the team member level anyway (except logistics). They're saying that these are all new positions with all new roles, but Service & Engagement Advocate is just a GSA with a new title. Ultimately, they're still doing the same stuff that a GSA was doing a month ago.

Engagement Advocate (formerly Cashier):
  • You are the face of Target and interact with our guests each and every day.
  • Provide an easy, seamless checkout experience.
  • Actively engage guests in a way that makes them feel welcome and rewarded by our loyalty programs.
  • Make sure every guest leaves happy.
  • Champion self-checkout by inviting guests in, teaching guests and complete transactions for guests who do not want to self check.
  • Comply with all cash handling and safety related procedures.

Front of Store Attendant (formerly Cart Attendant):
  • Provide an easy, seamless shopping experience by keeping carts and baskets well stocked throughout the store and responding quickly to guest carry-outs and spills.
  • Maintain clean, stocked check lanes, restrooms, Mini Assistance Centers, spill stations, carts and baskets.
  • Clear the parking lot, sidewalks and doorways of carts, trash and snow (if applicable)
Because you are taking on a new role for the operating model pilot, you will be expected to have new knowledge and perform new skills and abilities, including:
  • Guest interaction and engagement techniques
  • Powered equipment certification, operation and safety (cart pusher)
  • Ability to consistently lift 40 lbs or more

Service Advocate (formerly Guest Service Desk):
  • Provide an easy, seamless order pickup, exchanges, or return experience.
  • Actively engage guests in a way that makes them feel welcome and rewarded by our loyalty programs.
  • Be passionate and provide exceptional service to every guest.
  • Share your knowledge and excitement of front of store services and attend to every guest.
Because you are taking on a new role for the operating model pilot, you will be expected to have new knowledge and perform new skills and abilities, including:
  • Guest engagement and loyalty-driving techniques
  • Loyalty programs
  • In-depth knowledge of front of store specialty services

Service and Engagement Advocate (formerly Guest Service Attendant):
  • Welcome guests to the front of the store, directing guests and acting as their host.
  • Serve up an easy, no-wait experience at the check lane and all service areas.
  • Ensure every guest leaves happy and train peers to do the same.
  • Support the Service and Engagement Lead by managing front of store traffic and replenishing supplies, allowing the Service and Engagement Lead to focus on the guest experience and team development.
  • Provide a seamless checkout, return, registry and/or OPU experience by eliminating friction points for guests and team members
  • Perform cash office duties
  • Loyalty programs

My understanding is that the Style Team makes an additional .50 cents an hour more than a cashier or someone who works GS. Working GS is not a piece of cake and if you ever worked in that area you would understand. You know how many people I have come to my counter asking for help in style because they can't find something or someone who works in that area. You know how many people I have daily who would like me to place an online order because they can't find it in style. A good way to make your daily goal would be to not send guests to guest services to place your online orders, but to place them yourselves.

I think we all do different work and for someone to accuse another team (such as GS) of not doing anything is ridiculous. Has it maybe occurred to you that the reason we call back is that sometimes, every once in a while, the my device is wrong? *GASPS*

Also, style does get paid more than us, so idk what you're upset about. GS should be paid more than cashiers as well.

maybe that's how your store works but not mine at all. If guest needs assistance they are handed off to a salesfloor tm which is fine in my book and what should happen . Salesfloor also has my check out devices and we do our own online orders as well now if a guest chooses to go to GS to make an online purchase that seems pretty reasonable as well you do handle everything as far as store pick up , drive up , etc....so shouldn't be that big a deal . My issue is like I stated above and again idk how ur store is but everyone is at $12 now just about or they will be in my store and even if it is a couple cents more my issue is why should the CASHIER be making the same as me the TM that is doing pricing ,rfid ,training of new TM ,truck push plus my reshop, backstock, audits, fulfilling sales goals ,fr and op .. I literally am wearing all these hats every week for the longest and I'm sorry it makes me feel like why am I doing all this work and gettin the same pay as a cashier ?? Maybe I'm a b#&*h for thinking that but let's be real it's not the same workload and again I'm referencing the work of salesfloor style to CASHIER position

maybe that's how your store works but not mine at all. If guest needs assistance they are handed off to a salesfloor tm which is fine in my book and what should happen . Salesfloor also has my check out devices and we do our own online orders as well now if a guest chooses to go to GS to make an online purchase that seems pretty reasonable as well you do handle everything as far as store pick up , drive up , etc....so shouldn't be that big a deal . My issue is like I stated above and again idk how ur store is but everyone is at $12 now just about or they will be in my store and even if it is a couple cents more my issue is why should the CASHIER be making the same as me the TM that is doing pricing ,rfid ,training of new TM ,truck push plus my reshop, backstock, audits, fulfilling sales goals ,fr and op .. I literally am wearing all these hats every week for the longest and I'm sorry it makes me feel like why am I doing all this work and gettin the same pay as a cashier ?? Maybe I'm a b#&*h for thinking that but let's be real it's not the same workload and again I'm referencing the work of salesfloor style to CASHIER position
In many stores, cashiers aren't empowered to use MyDevices... they can't just leave their lanes to "pick up a my device right at GS"... they have guests to deal with.

Again, style does make 50 cents more.

In many stores, cashiers aren't empowered to use MyDevices... they can't just leave their lanes to "pick up a my device right at GS"... they have guests to deal with.

Again, style does make 50 cents more.

My statements are for n from my store POV so yes they are allowed to use my devices and some even use walkies even though they aren't supposed to and sorry but again EVERYONE in my store is getting bumped to at least 12 and eveneven if salesfloor were getting 12.50 which I promise u they aren't it still doesn't seem fair

To add to the cashiers getting a Zebra. Most stores do not have enough to go around.

IN my store GS always has at least one some days they have 2 and if they choose to cashiers are allowed to use them .

But the actual point of my post was what is changing for them as far as what their duties are daily to justify them making same as a salesfloor tm with all the new mod changes going on. I dont think they deserve min wage not at all like I said I know they work too but do I think that CASHIERS put in the same as salesfloor no not with the new mod changes that are happening

I think we all do different work and for someone to accuse another team (such as GS) of not doing anything is ridiculous. Has it maybe occurred to you that the reason we call back is that sometimes, every once in a while, the my device is wrong? *GASPS*

Also, style does get paid more than us, so idk what you're upset about. GS should be paid more than cashiers as well.

I gave credit where it was due . I said cashiers nothing about GS two different shift labels. My only mention of GS in my initial post was of the fact that the Cashiers who are allowed to use the my device/zebra don't . I'm just stating what goes on in my store

We have new titles, but honestly not a whole lot has changed at the team member level anyway (except logistics). They're saying that these are all new positions with all new roles, but Service & Engagement Advocate is just a GSA with a new title. Ultimately, they're still doing the same stuff that a GSA was doing a month ago.

Engagement Advocate (formerly Cashier):
  • Provide an easy, seamless checkout experience.
  • Champion self-checkout by inviting guests in, teaching guests and complete transactions for guests who do not want to self check.
  • Comply with all cash handling and safety related procedures.

Front of Store Attendant (formerly Cart Attendant):
  • Provide an easy, seamless shopping experience by keeping carts and baskets well stocked throughout the store and responding quickly to guest carry-outs and spills.
  • Maintain clean, stocked check lanes, restrooms, Mini Assistance Centers, spill stations, carts and baskets.
  • Clear the parking lot, sidewalks and doorways of carts, trash and snow (if applicable)
  • Guest interaction and engagement techniques
  • Powered equipment certification, operation and safety (cart pusher)
  • Ability to consistently lift 40 lbs or more

Service Advocate (formerly Guest Service Desk):
  • Provide an easy, seamless order pickup, exchanges, or return experience.
  • Be passionate and provide exceptional service to every guest.
  • Share your knowledge and excitement of front of store services and attend to every guest.
  • Loyalty programs

Service and Engagement Advocate (formerly Guest Service Attendant):
  • Welcome guests to the front of the store, directing guests and acting as their host.
  • Serve up an easy, no-wait experience at the check lane and all service areas.
  • Ensure every guest leaves happy and train peers to do the same.
  • Support the Service and Engagement Lead by managing front of store traffic and replenishing supplies, allowing the Service and Engagement Lead to focus on the guest experience and team development.
  • Provide a seamless checkout, return, registry and/or OPU experience by eliminating friction points for guests and team members
  • Perform cash office duties
  • Loyalty programs

Thank you for the info and not taking my rant personally

or pick up a my device right at GS so they have TO call for style team to look up an item that they could've checked themselves to see we clearly are out of stock in..

Also, cashiers cannot just walk over to GS to grab a MyDevice. And for someone to come to GS and take my MyDevice is not allowing me to do my job.

Also, cashiers cannot just walk over to GS to grab a MyDevice. And for someone to come to GS and take my MyDevice is not allowing me to do my job.

Lmbo seriously AGAIN in my store they do !! Not all stores are the same you know I'm glad yours runs efficiently but mine is clearly not like yours!!! Our cashiers willingly leave their register if they want or can.

But why are you so focused on them using a my device anyways lol

The question was what MOD changes are there for front end of the store??

Do you even know what the MOD changes in general are about?

Like why are you so butt hurt because I expressed something about how some of MY STORES cashiers ?!

You mentioned GS here in your quote. Again, my understanding is that Style is making .50 more than the front end. Not sure why your store is the exception. You are also equating apples and oranges here.

As for the guest coming to GS to make their online purchase... Most of the time this happens because they are sent there to make it by the salesfloor TM's. If you worked at GS you would also know most of us do not have the time to place an online order because we are often the only ones working there. When this happens we have to call for backup. It would be prudent of Target to set up kiosks where guests could place their own online orders in store.

Lmbo seriously AGAIN in my store they do !! Not all stores are the same you know I'm glad yours runs efficiently but mine is clearly not like yours!!! Our cashiers willingly leave their register if they want or can.

But why are you so focused on them using a my device anyways lol

The question was what MOD changes are there for front end of the store??

Do you even know what the MOD changes in general are about?

Like why are you so butt hurt because I expressed something about how some of MY STORES cashiers ?!

Nice name calling. As you can see from the responses so far, our stores do not work like yours. Maybe you should take up your concerns with your store management.

You mentioned GS here in your quote. Again, my understanding is that Style is making .50 more than the front end. Not sure why your store is the exception. You are also equating apples and oranges here.

As for the guest coming to GS to make their online purchase... Most of the time this happens because they are sent there to make it by the salesfloor TM's. If you worked at GS you would also know most of us do not have the time to place an online order because we are often the only ones working there. When this happens we have to call for backup. It would be prudent of Target to set up kiosks where guests could place their own online orders in store.

That's how ur store is mine we do not send a guest to GS. We have a thing healthy competition of who gets the most my check out orders but regardless we do not or rather are not allowed to pass the guests off like that

WE have 2 mycheckouts and if need be GS sends the guest to us should they not be able to do it .

EVERY STORE IS DIFFERENT DONT EXPECT WHAT HAPPENS IN YOURS TO GO ON IN MINE .

Ur right in the ACTUAL question and reason of the post that needed to be answered I did mention GS and asked what changes are coming to front end ?

With the Mod changes to style we now own everything pricing backstock pogs audits rfid sales knowledge etc etc these are new changes for us what new changes are there to front end with the Mod changes and why does that mean everyone should be paid same? U r correct it is apples to oranges but for example are u gonna pay the same price for a bag of apples as you do a bag of oranges? Nope didn't think so

Sorry I'm old school I came from where cashiers or baggers are one pay backroom is a diff pay sales is another, diff pay for diff jobs and workload

Nice name calling. As you can see from the responses so far, our stores do not work like yours. Maybe you should take up your concerns with your store management.

Describing how I perceive your feeling isn't name calling and you arent even answering the real question about store mod changes that I asked lol

Sorry if you feel attacked but it's not that serious my lil rant was just that a rant and an opinion of MY store and not all but some of MY team members.

This was simply a question of what are the changes coming to front end and why do all TM get around same pay if the workloads are different .

and thanks for the advice friend! Maybe I will but for the time I think I'm taking my question up with the right people since this is a store modernization thread and my question really was about that mmkayy alrighty thank you !

Be blessed now

Back