MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
not attempting to upsell someone on a toaster when they're only there for a pack of condoms and a bag of Cheetos.

content.php

Most people are at Target to buy something -- talking to them isn't going to make them buy more things
Every single time I say hello to a guest while in market, they immediately follow it up with a "I can't find 《item》, can you help me?". You just don't think it works because you haven't been doing it. But it truly does matter

It's going to get worse. Our new GVP wants to not have anyone at the fitting room because the style TMs will all be working one on one with every guest. They will accompany said guests to the fr and stay with them. They will bring them accessories to go with the outfits they are trying on. Utopia, right?

The point of the gocard is to get everyone thinking about growing sales. So those that have ignored guests in the past will start helping guests. It’s to put guest service in every employees thoughts as they work. No more project focused tms ignoring guests. A signing tm helping 2 or 3 guests a day with a coffee pot, a toy, a bike, etc will be a step better than what they did for sales before.
Bullshit, We already did this before. How is it a step better, without even taking a step? I help 2 or 3 guests at least to coffee pots with a display and signing to explain it, this goes for the entire 16 hours a day my store is open, even if I have the entire day off. That said, that is only coffee pots. How many other departments are my hands in.

The point of the gocard is to get everyone thinking about growing sales. So those that have ignored guests in the past will start helping guests. It’s to put guest service in every employees thoughts as they work. No more project focused tms ignoring guests. A signing tm helping 2 or 3 guests a day with a coffee pot, a toy, a bike, etc will be a step better than what they did for sales before.
See, but pretty much every plano TM helps guests, just not in the same way that a hardliner does. We may not circle around the floor harassing guests to buy more stuff, but I'm fairly sure that every plano TM ever helps guests who are trying to find items in an aisle that is going through a transition. Spot is just conflating "good guest service" with "harassing guests to buy more stuff they don't need".

It's going to get worse. Our new GVP wants to not have anyone at the fitting room because the style TMs will all be working one on one with every guest. They will accompany said guests to the fr and stay with them. They will bring them accessories to go with the outfits they are trying on. Utopia, right?

So many questions, lol. Does FR not answer the phone? Who is pushing the truck, zoning, doing price change and VMGs while these TMs are, basically, personally shopping for the guest? Not to mention, no matter how much people say, "we've got to re-train the guests" that's just not what the typical guest wants.

Bullshit, We already did this before. How is it a step better, without even taking a step? I help 2 or 3 guests at least to coffee pots with a display and signing to explain it, this goes for the entire 16 hours a day my store is open, even if I have the entire day off. That said, that is only coffee pots. How many other departments are my hands in.

All of them. The answer here is all of them.

On a related side note, since I always seem to be the only person who can correctly answer walkie questions (What aisle is ______ in?), I should be able to get the credit for those sales. I answer this question easily a half dozen times everyday.

On a related side note, since I always seem to be the only person who can correctly answer walkie questions (What aisle is ______ in?), I should be able to get the credit for those sales. I answer this question easily a half dozen times everyday

A goal and an assist!🏒😁

On a related side note, since I always seem to be the only person who can correctly answer walkie questions (What aisle is ______ in?), I should be able to get the credit for those sales. I answer this question easily a half dozen times everyday.
Exactly, I also think we should get 10 percent credit for all all TMs sales during their first 90 days, so long as they see a "we are hiring cling".

Yes, I heard this too. However, the store I was at would maintain an operator, who basically organized go backs, answered phone and answered questions.

Furniture displays, lamps, small electrics, vacuums, TV wall, home electronics, toys (Lego displays), infants.

And a good chunk of these are high-priced items.

So many questions, lol. Does FR not answer the phone? Who is pushing the truck, zoning, doing price change and VMGs while these TMs are, basically, personally shopping for the guest? Not to mention, no matter how much people say, "we've got to re-train the guests" that's just not what the typical guest wants.

And furthermore, the people who push truck on style at my store are just ex-flow. They don't fucking help the guests as it is!

At my store, it's fucking LOCKS. It's always fucking locks. "Where are the locks?" "Same place as they were when you asked yesterday, FRO"

"DO WE SELL BACKPACKS????" "...no."

But they were most likely going to find that item anyway. All you did was save them some time, which meant they were able to get what they wanted and leave sooner. It's not like they had just sprinted around the entire store, checking each and every aisle, but were unable to find the item they were looking for before you came along. They likely just stepped into the market section when you greeted them.

If someone can't find something, they're either going to keep looking until they do or they'll ask someone -- neither scenario requires TMs harassing them to ensure a sale. Most people don't want to be bothered. The vast majority of guests I walk by don't even bother making eye contact with me.

The most cost efficient process is having TMs work a task until a guest engages with them, then commit to proper guest service. That's the best of both worlds. Guests find what they want while TMs get their tasks completed. It makes no sense to proactively go after guests when that doesn't result in increased sales. Everything is labeled, signs are everywhere -- 99.9% of guests find what they're looking for without a TM's help. The fraction of the 1% that can't isn't spending enough money to offset all the new problems that come with this new process.

'Most people don't want to be bothered. This is an actual misnomer. I have worked with some many people I know this. Most people want solutions to their problems. When they ask where something is, thats what they want. I always answered that whether it was A14, walked to sporting goods, showed them on the app and got it for them or simply informed them that target didnt carry it but Wal-mart, lowes, Michaels, Or Cindi's toy shop carried it.

The people who don't want to be bothered aren't coming in unless they are poor. Sorry there isn't a good word other than that. Instacart etc exists for those people. Target is migrating to a selling like Bergdorfs culture. IT WILL KILL THEM because they are not nor will ever anywhere near that. However, we need to be able to cordial, polite and guest service everyone. I will brutally blunt, If I walked over and greeted you five feet from you and you dont even look up and me, I will say it until you do.

Why? Because either you are so distracted you could be endangering yourself, me and the store or you are trying to steal or damage something. 90% are distracted. They will go, 'Oh, were you talking to be and be polite.' The other 10% I had AP follow on camera when LOD so they didnt do anything. I was right more often than not. Our AP always met their quotas. (Which I always felt was a disgusting term but eh)

Get the 'People don't want to be Helped' BULLSHIT out of your head it will get you pushed out. Walk over, say something. Unless you are busy (and I mean busy) you can say hello to 8 people. Most people will make eye contract with you if you make it with them. You are wearing a uniform with a badge on. They expect it. Its when you give the Wal-mart I dont give an F attitude that they blow you off.

We have alot of people who still 'want the shove box on shelf dont deal with people' role. and The first thing I ask is 'Why are you here?' Because usually want they want in a warehouse job or overnight stocker job. Target in its foolishness, decided that was too expensive. No one else did.

Sorry about ranting, but that BS just pisses me off. Two days before I left I had to Coach an electronics TM because he stood there and ignored a guest staring at the TV. No the guest wouldnt make eye contact with tm. I did. I walked over, had a short convo asked why he was staring at the wall and sold him a 70 curved Samsung, a chromecast and a soundbar. He thought the other guy didnt work there and was unsure whether he should bother him because he seemed busy.
TM has been there 9 yrs and knew better. Of course Electronics has audits to do and price changes and dvds to put out. But he could have let $1500 walk out because TM didnt walk over and say hey, I see your watching the commericals? Looking for a new TV?

Finally, while I do apologize because I don't know you and aren't a spot man any more, anywhere I worked that I have been manager (thats 3) 'Most people don't want to be bothered' or suggesting you are harrasing them by suggestive selling is a verbal coaching.
At Sonic and the Hotel it was step one of the 3 step exit plan. I'm that serious about it.

Nevertheless, you be you.

Not to mention, no matter how much people say, "we've got to re-train the guests" that's just not what the typical guest wants.
Regardless of what corporate thinks, you can’t retrain the guests. They either get what they want the way they want it or they go somewhere where they will. Of course we should greet guests and help them when needed, but it’s a fine line between helping and harassing to some people. A lot of guests just want to be left alone to shop, instead of being followed around and pressured into buying stuff they don’t want, don’t need and can’t afford, and very few if any want to be followed into the fitting room or hassled to open a red card at checkout. You want to know how I know? Because I’m one of them. That’s why online orders are so popular.

Regardless of what corporate thinks, you can’t retrain the guests. They either get what they want the way they want it or they go somewhere where they will. Of course we should greet guests and help them when needed, but it’s a fine line between helping and harassing to some people. A lot of guests just want to be left alone to shop, instead of being followed around and pressured into buying stuff they don’t want, don’t need and can’t afford, and very few if any want to be followed into the fitting room or hassled to open a red card at checkout. You want to know how I know? Because I’m one of them. That’s why online orders are so popular.

I'm so sick of this modernization crap. I keep getting coached for not doing GS in my area. I have already 16 coachings, (Yes 16 coachings!) and all in this year (never had any prior to this shit) because of the same crap. Even though I do it, they say I'm not doing correctly because I'm supposed to make a retarded long ass interaction with them. So "Are you finding everything OK? And "is there something I can help you with?" don't matter and they take it as you weren't doing customer service. I'm not quitting because probably that's what they want me to do so. If they do fire me, I'll file for unemployment, and of course i have everything documented in audio records. Thank God in my state this is legal to do even without permission. They have said to me some real shit, like bad so I'm just saving all these bullets till the end.

The other day I heard two guests saying how they love Target, but no longer feel like shopping in store as "we annoy the fuck out of them", so that's why they moved to online shopping on their phone without being followed by someone. I think she told me that because I simply asked if she was finding everything OK.

It's impressive seeing how quickly the new processes are spinning further and further out of control, especially as everyone who knew what they were doing quits. It's like seeing a top that's wobbling a lot and even the slightest nudge could topple the whole thing over.

It's impressive seeing how quickly the new processes are spinning further and further out of control, especially as everyone who knew what they were doing quits. It's like seeing a top that's wobbling a lot and even the slightest nudge could topple the whole thing over.
Well, DAMN! That explains this whole Modernization nightmare!
1dIV.gif

I'm in the "I was already helping guests find shit and didn't need to be told to do so" camp. I just think the added emphasis on doing so is pointless if the things they're looking for are in a pile of push in the backroom and/or I can't engage guests at all because I'm scheduled off at home for the 4th day in a row.

Back