MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Uh, we are not nearly that busy, and I can't stock an aisle due to guests. I was working in Health and Beauty, and kept having to switch up aisles to stay out of the way of guests.

very efficient.
:not:

hate to see Toys, or Market or electronics being stocked, soon....

Yeah, toys. My God toys. I started the day on stationary. That was bad. Dodging guests left and right. About half way throught the shift TL pulls me off stationary because toys was so far behind. Every aisle was full of families. Every aisle. Not like I had time to actually stock toys though with electronics calling me over for backup constantly. It was a clusterfuck.

My store had its first really busy Saturday with the new process. Oh my God. That was a disaster. Guests, guests, guests everywhere. Can't move vehicles around because guests are there and don't get out of the way. Can't stock the shelves because guests are there and won't get out of the way. Constant calls for extra cashiers, team lifts, find something in the back for a guest, help a guest out to their car because CA is already helping someone else. I think we got about half the truck pushed out in the alotted time. The backroom was one big gigantic OSHA violation when I left. Q4 is going to be epic.
Welcome to Modernization.

Toys is gonna be a joke, I might stage my uboat and rock a 3 tier down the aisles if it's as bad as I can imagine it. I don't care if that's not brand. Lol

Excellent idea if your store will let you get away with it. The uboats yesterday were loaded way too high and I had to be really careful not to accidentally run over all the little kids. Also had to be really deliberate about opening boxes. Gotta be extra careful when you have a sharp object in your hands and kids are present because they don't know to be careful.

-The detail report actually does tell you exactly what repack the product is in.
-Laugh in my face and see how far that gets you. Don't forget every one of our Team Member responsibilities says "Any additional tasks as assigned." If I tell you to sort through repacks, you better start cracking open boxes. Thing is, I wouldn't tell you that. I would say, let's go search together.
-A typical 2000 piece truck has only about ten Zone 5 repacks for Personal Care/Non-Consumable Pharmacy. You could spend 30 seconds a box quickly scanning for the shrink-wrapped bundle of 3 stool softeners and easily find it within 5 minutes, especially if your Sort Leader/Pharmacy Expert was there to help (Pharmacy is a Priority 1 Push anyway, so that expert should be there every truck unload, if not already pushing the product)
-It sucks that your store hasn't shifted it's focus yet. That makes it harder to do your work, so I wish you luck

I have to agree. On all of it.

But but, I thought Target wanted to "compete" with Amazon by expanding SFS. lol
Most seasonal applicants will be flocking to Amazon because of the higher pay. I think Target will have a hard time with reaching the hiring goal.
Amazon has various positions in everything so thats kinda vague. However, Amazon is mostly warehouse when it comes to seasonal and those are not by any means fun or easy jobs.

Today I was told that effective immediately Presentation and Price Change Teams cannot be scheduled before 8am anymore. We apparently can only be in the store while it is open in order to assist guests.

Today I was told that effective immediately Presentation and Price Change Teams cannot be scheduled before 8am anymore. We apparently can only be in the store while it is open in order to assist guests.
But I bet the hours given on TWT won't change to accommodate for us working slower due to not being able to put product/fixtures on the floor while the store is open!

I like having my own assigned area but that won’t stop my other leaders especially ETL LOG from pulling me elsewhere...

Having an assigned area is nice. Fortunately, my ETL-HL, ETL-LOG, and SRTL are all on the same page about it. I'm supposed to be in toys. I'm supposed to stay in toys. If I'm not in toys, I should be trying to get back there as soon as humanly possible. We're all good with this arrangement. I could use more help because there is a lot to do and the other seasonals that come in and out of the section "to help" have proven to be mostly useless, but I can make it work if everyone will just leave me alone to do the work. I enjoy the challenge of getting my push done while keeping my section nice and neat. The busier I am, the faster the shift goes by.

The problem comes in when someone else is running the show, usually it's someone from softlines. They seem to think that toys being nice and neat means that I don't have enough to do, so they'll assign me to help with something like office supplies pulls while still expecting toys to be taken care. I can't even see toys from the other sections. I can't do both. So, of course toys is going to go to hell if I'm not there keeping it neat. I mean I'm happy to help people finish their push when they've got a heavy load. They help me when I've got an impossible amount of push to do, so I'll help them finish up too. But, goddamn softlines leads, everyone needs to be doing their own pulls and zoning if this is going to work. Hold the people assigned to the section responsible for it. Don't make it my problem too.

But I bet the hours given on TWT won't change to accommodate for us working slower due to not being able to put product/fixtures on the floor while the store is open!
You are 100% correct! It also does not take into account when workload isn't completed for the week and ties drop. I really don't care anymore since their precious truck seems to be the only focus. Well guess what?! If planograms and revisions don't get set by the end of the week no one will know how to push or OPU can't get done in 30min so yeah, go ahead and schedule us at 8am all because you need experienced TM's on the salesfloor to help with guests! Don't know about anyone else but this is just not good business on Spots behalf. I have watched Unload TM's not help guest or answer call buttons although they clearly have walkies on their person. Either they are not trained how to use one or just don't care. I don't know how much longer I can give a f**k!

Last edited:
The process in and of itself is a fantastic idea that makes sense. The problem starts in resistant leadership which bleeds down to resistant TMs. This can absolutely work, and is working in stores in my district. Leadership has to be on board and on point. Talent management is key. Train and support people to work to their full potential. If they are unwilling to adapt, promote them to guests and train new employees correctly with high expectations. We've been fighting the "this will never work" attitude. But the right leadership and the right people in the right positions makes it run smoothly and efficiently. The idea of owneership of an area makes the team experts and confident in the area. If they own it and are held accountable and you praise them for their good work, they will take pride in the area. It's all about competent leadership.

The process in and of itself is a fantastic idea that makes sense. The problem starts in resistant leadership which bleeds down to resistant TMs. This can absolutely work, and is working in stores in my district. Leadership has to be on board and on point. Talent management is key. Train and support people to work to their full potential. If they are unwilling to adapt, promote them to guests and train new employees correctly with high expectations. We've been fighting the "this will never work" attitude. But the right leadership and the right people in the right positions makes it run smoothly and efficiently. The idea of owneership of an area makes the team experts and confident in the area. If they own it and are held accountable and you praise them for their good work, they will take pride in the area. It's all about competent leadership.
Are you an ETL?! Remember what happened in Jurrasic Park?!

Last edited:
You can't stock at the same moment you are giving 100% of your attention to a guest.

I'm my store there is only one flow TM that gives 100% to the guest. They are also exceptionally slow when not helping the guest and "need" backroom help to find basically every item the guest asks about. Yes it's an item that's available online if it doesn't say we have it in back let the guest know they can order it for delivery don't spend 5 min looking for something you can tell we don't have in the store.

What company you working for because 99% of this post doesnt describe a single person under spots poop bag :/

If it was all about competent leadership I don't think Spot would be rolling out the new unload and working the kinks out as Q4 starts and constantly making and breaking new apps. It's going to be magical seeing all of these seasonal TMs get trained on one way and have it change two or three times before their time is done.

Back