MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
In theory this idea is a good one but in practice it sucks like there's no tomorrow. I'm not resistant, I just don't understand HOW to make it work.
This. I said it about "waving" through the store, too. I get the theory and it all sounds great. But making it work in real life is a whole other ball game.

Curious now, as this is the second time I've heard someone reminisce not-so-fondly on the rollout of the "wave." How did stocking work before the wave?

I started overnight Flow Team more than 15 years ago and we waved through the store. It was efficient and effective, but only because we had no guests to deal with, and a VERY strict and strong ETL-Flow. When I opened my current store, we switched to 4AM Flow (then later 6AM) and it was a disaster working with guests in the store and the team being lead by weak TLs and ETL.

Excellent idea if your store will let you get away with it. The uboats yesterday were loaded way too high and I had to be really careful not to accidentally run over all the little kids. Also had to be really deliberate about opening boxes. Gotta be extra careful when you have a sharp object in your hands and kids are present because they don't know to be careful.
honestly I cant let my box knife hang at my side for a second in toys...I gotta re holster it every time instead of using the tether...slows me down when I'm trying to push fast as possible on a crazy day...also had a kid grab it while it was hanging one time which to this day has me paranoid

I do close the knife before I let it hang tho but my biggest thought on this whole post I'm making is who the fuck takes their kid into a toy section at target at 10:30 am? so fucking random yet it's not just one or two parents doing this, it's several

honestly I cant let my box knife hang at my side for a second in toys...I gotta re holster it every time instead of using the tether...slows me down when I'm trying to push fast as possible on a crazy day...also had a kid grab it while it was hanging one time which to this day has me paranoid

I do close the knife before I let it hang tho but my biggest thought on this whole post I'm making is who the fuck takes their kid into a toy section at target at 10:30 am? so fucking random yet it's not just one or two parents doing this, it's several

The worst are those who show up in the morning to let the kid shop to spend his allowance or the $20 grandma gave him for his birthday. This can be a long process and they are guaranteed to always be right where you need to do something. I might say for the 3rd time, "Are you sure I can't help you find something?" but I'm screaming in my head, "Just fucking decide already!"

we waved through the store. It was efficient and effective, but only because we had no guests to deal with, and a VERY strict and strong ETL-Flow
Some people at my store loved the wave, but I hated it. Lots of chit-chat going on while standing by the trash cage, not breaking down the boxes they were holding. Lots of trash being left behind (uh, could ya pick up all those silica packets you dropped all over the floor?). Lots of not checking DPCIs because they were talking and couldn't do both things at the same time. It was awful. I don't much like how we do it now, but I was really glad we never really were 100% on waving. TL let too many TMs get away with too much.

So our ULVS is not handling this. We have so much truck it's getting impossible for leaders to hide it before a visit. Another team lead walked out other day so we are down 3. Again we are an ULVS so this is desperate.
This is the point. There will so much the leaders wont hide it. They will get fired. That is the blood letting I spoke of.

This is the point. There will so much the leaders wont hide it. They will get fired. That is the blood letting I spoke of.
It’s high time the clueless STLs and ETLs who threw most of the veteran TLs under the bus to save themselves are held accountable. They sacrificed all of the scapegoats, so now there’s no one left to take the blame for this debacle but themselves.😏

Some of our Inbound TMs do help people but mast of them would just look for someone else to help the guest, even though the guest only wanted to know where to find something and that TM has a zebra on them.
Had a fellow Tm come to me saying a guest wanted something in the Ad...I went to show them how easy it is to bring up the ad on the zebra and he tried to ignore me and walk away and I'm like "wait no this is good for next time so you can find it" he was not interested and feigned interest to appease me...fucking asshole surprised me because I thought he was a good worker but after that nah...so easy to bring up the ad and figure out what a guest is talking about...but nah gotta walk like 20 feet and around an aisle to get me even though I'm busy as fuck...help the guest don't burden your co workers unless you're absolutely certain you can't help them jesus lol I hate people sometimes

Had a fellow Tm come to me saying a guest wanted something in the Ad...I went to show them how easy it is to bring up the ad on the zebra and he tried to ignore me and walk away and I'm like "wait no this is good for next time so you can find it" he was not interested and feigned interest to appease me...fucking asshole surprised me because I thought he was a good worker but after that nah...so easy to bring up the ad and figure out what a guest is talking about...but nah gotta walk like 20 feet and around an aisle to get me even though I'm busy as fuck...help the guest don't burden your co workers unless you're absolutely certain you can't help them jesus lol I hate people sometimes

TBF, most of our inbounds team was originally hired for their role because they aren't exactly good with people. Some of them can barely spit out two words to co-workers, let alone service the guests. Now that they are being asked to do their job when the guests are there, they are very unhappy and uncomfortable. It probably is better if they find someone else to help the guests.

TBF, most of our inbounds team was originally hired for their role because they aren't exactly good with people. Some of them can barely spit out two words to co-workers, let alone service the guests. Now that they are being asked to do their job when the guests are there, they are very unhappy and uncomfortable. It probably is better if they find someone else to help the guests.

Too bad. It's part of their job!

From another thread:
RunForACallBox said:
God if I hear “non negotiable” one more time... 🙄
This is honestly a dispiriting theme of the upper leadership in Target.

You see, most stores are struggling with these changes in some way, and they do not get caught depending on how quickly they can shift their focus to the newest idea someone has!

The sad thing is that they are so unaware of their own bad ideas that they do not realize how much damage each new focus and “non-negotiable” hurts us.

You start by gutting logistics and telling stores to work tons of freight while the store is open, and you cut payroll in that transfer of responsibilities. Stores refuse to accept this fully and keep working freight before open because they get blasted on visits when the store is messy. This keeps getting pushed until the store starts to just go with the flow and try it out.

Stores start to struggle getting everything done, and suddenly upper leadership is concerned about freight and back stock not getting done and apply pressure. The store, knowing their resources are limited and working freight till early evening give up something. Some stores give up on some of their pulls (why pull things out at 6am, 1pm and 3pm when you have a line full of freight still?). Others give up on zone and reshop, letting the store brand fall apart.

Suddenly the company wants to know why pulls are not getting done. Stores, unsure of what to do, focus back on auto and caf pulls, and we start over with the floor being a mess with tons of freight laying around since we can’t have 2000+ piece trucks and 1000+ in pulls staged and fitting back there. The stores are going to get blasted by leadership again for having too much to work on their floor, and be told the guide is the answer to our problems.

This all stems back to, at the end of the day, payroll. Target cannot splurge because, even with a sales increase, cannot fund the growth. They are increasing in sales by spending money (remodels, brands, online investment) so profits are not increasing. Their operating model can work if payroll was not kept as low as before (back when stores spent all their hours on trucks and just no coverage during the day), but they can’t afford to do it financially.
Thanks
Rock lobster

Hiring people for a job and then pulling the rug out from under them is a dick move. Can't wait for the PR blowback when they "performance out" the wrong TM with a disability and the media finds out about it.
already been done and absolutely no blowback. well it's happened twice at my store. so yeah target will do what ever dirty shat they want and get away with it because we can not afford the lawyers.

I completely get that some newer folks aren't good but the guy I'm talking about has been there 5 years and I've been there 3...so he can't really use that excuse.

Well, my store can fire them because it's now "part of their job!" but, good luck finding someone to replace them to unload the truck.

Man I would rather struggle to find a replacement than be bothered almost daily to help a guest they can't help because they're complete social outcasts with no future hope of having a relationship or giving a fuck about another human being. Really, though.

I completely get that some newer folks aren't good but the guy I'm talking about has been there 5 years and I've been there 3...so he can't really use that excuse.

I don't know. We have a guy at my store who has been there for a long time. He typically throws the truck. When unload is done he grabs the heaviest stuff and pushes it out. The guy works hard and fast. Never complains. He's nothing close to a sociopath or anything like that. Nice guy really just not great with people and tends to go out of his way to avoid guests. That used to not be an issue because he could do it all before the store opened. Now, Spot might not like it, but the store would be screwed without him while trying to find a replacement.

Back