MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We have this going on now. Guest service is expected to call us for every two items (per department). But they only divide it into hardlines, softlines, and grocery.

So I’m getting a call everytime anyone returns an item of clothing...
So how does Spot think all those trips to Guest Service is efficient?🙄

I really wish I knew. We also aren’t given a rack at the fitting room anymore or an attendant, but we’re expected to keep the desk and the rooms clear at all times.
Unrealistic expectations to say the least. Whoever wrote that policy has apparently never visited a Target fitting room on a busy day...or any day.🙄

Unrealistic expectations to say the least. Whoever wrote that policy has apparently never visited a Target fitting room on a busy day...or any day.🙄
Many of the changes seem rooted in magical thinking.

I wish they'd share with us what the actual big-picture goals are. I feel like I'm one of many subjects taking part in a sadistic thought experiment.

It continues to go extremely poorly at my store. When everyone shows up for softlines, they do OK with it. They are mostly E2E now. Hardlines is a complete mess with a backroom that looks like a Cat 5 hurricane hit it. Feedback from the district is that hardlines will get better by pushing forward with E2E. So, they've decided to test it out by having one person try it. Yes, that person is me. Really. The new guy. In toys. In Quarter 4. Alrighty then. What could possibly go wrong? What's supposed to happen on days I'm not there? I don't know. I just know that I'm supposed to personally be E2E by the end of next week. No, I've been given no additional training shifts for this. They'll just "teach" me what I need to know during my regular shifts.

Of course, leadership neglected to tell any other TMs about this plan. So, they are now bombarding leadership with questions/complaints about what I'm doing when I'm not doing what everyone else on the team is doing. Sorry, guys, I'm now not allowed to help with that push unless personally directed to by our ETL. I really am supposed to just be straightening up these dolls at the moment. No, I can't take those domestic pulls either, not when I've got a Hot Wheels peg to fill.

We have this going on now. Guest service is expected to call us for every two items (per department). But they only divide it into hardlines, softlines, and grocery.

So I’m getting a call everytime anyone returns an item of clothing...
Yes, our tubs were removed. Now only one cart. I asked, do we put large items that won't fit on floor? Was told, call immediately for Tm to come get. Now, the lack of response to requests to come get returns was the issue. How making everyone dig through one cart fixes that problem is beyond me! And whoa Nelly on sales floor moaning about this. I finally said, too bad, blame your hardliners coworkers who cleverly avoided ever coming for return items. Seeing pile of comforters and pillows stacked made distinct blow fuse. Hence, new "method."
What a frigging mess.

The sad fact of the matter is that corporate broke a working system to save short term money and boost stocks. Store level cannot outwork this or not for long. We used to finish clean, put up backstock and go home no muss, no fuss and certainly no storage containers.

Yep, this is exactly the strategy. They realized they couldn’t make the actual changes needed for the company (remodel of DCs) to thrive, so now they are doing this super sorting thing and working freight during the day. This was the cheaper short term option but the more expensive (drastically) long-term one, limiting the actual supply chain model to what it was already doing, just in a worse manner. We will see it fall apart as they have to reduce payroll drastically after Q4 to keep profits stronger, continuing the narrative that Target is doing well.

I know plane crashes are fairly rare but it would be lolzy as hell if Cornell's Gulfstream just happened to plummet out of the sky one day

Yes, our tubs were removed. Now only one cart. I asked, do we put large items that won't fit on floor? Was told, call immediately for Tm to come get. Now, the lack of response to requests to come get returns was the issue. How making everyone dig through one cart fixes that problem is beyond me! And whoa Nelly on sales floor moaning about this. I finally said, too bad, blame your hardliners coworkers who cleverly avoided ever coming for return items. Seeing pile of comforters and pillows stacked made distinct blow fuse. Hence, new "method."
What a frigging mess.

It would like a lot more sense to just add hours and have somone assigned to do reshop. Right now, it's difficult for anyone in my store to find time to do it. Hardlines has too few people for too much freight. Softlines has multiple callouts a day. There are seemingly never enough cashiers either. And, the mess in the back means it takes a long time to do anything there. Then, the reshop bins are poorly sorted and full of items that scan as defects or print rewrap tickets. It's not that anyone is trying to make life difficult for guest services. Reshop is just a low priority because there is no time to do everything else Spot expects us to get done.

I hope they know just how broken this new process is for many stores. No one seems to want to question it though. Or those that do get canned.

Only those without a brain think this is working. Those that say it doesn't are gone, those that think it, but don't say it, have to jump through hoops to keep up the pretense.

I am quite amazed when I see here that it is working in some stores. The only thing I can think of is, DTLs and above are shifting hours to about 30% of the stores in each district so that at least some of the stores can make it work. They can then go to their higher ups and say, "Yes! It does work! Look at the stores in my district doing it. Those other stores are poorly managed and have useless Team Members."

At this point, our backroom is so bad and jacked up, I came pretty close to doing parkour to get a TV off the third shelf in steel.

It would like a lot more sense to just add hours and have somone assigned to do reshop. Right now, it's difficult for anyone in my store to find time to do it. Hardlines has too few people for too much freight. Softlines has multiple callouts a day. There are seemingly never enough cashiers either. And, the mess in the back means it takes a long time to do anything there. Then, the reshop bins are poorly sorted and full of items that scan as defects or print rewrap tickets. It's not that anyone is trying to make life difficult for guest services. Reshop is just a low priority because there is no time to do everything else Spot expects us to get done.
Not now, where I work. Lol...

It's required to come up frequently, dig through one bin and find your stuff, and if you don't cooperate, then TL and up are on the walkie.

Not now, where I work. Lol...

It's required to come up frequently, dig through one bin and find your stuff, and if you don't cooperate, then TL and up are on the walkie.

At my store when they do that, it's not difficult to convince them that what you are doing is more important than reshop at the moment. Reshop can wait for the closing crew if need be. Give them something to do.

If my DTL walked into my store tomorrow and told my STL to divide by 0, their head would explode attempting to do it. There's no way they say, "No, that just isn't possible."

Too true. Spot’s two biggest problems: Too many Yes men combined with Kill the Messenger syndrome. The Yes men frequently don’t have clue one, and the people who do are either pushed out or intimidated into silence. Meanwhile the failure that is Modernization continues its death spiral...🙄

We hope it won't last, but to be honest, some TMs are completely responsible for this. They consistently left mountains of stuff, ignored even TLs to take care of it. And they are why everyone us now having to pick up returns frequently.

Dear Target, A guest should not have to apologize to me because they are in my way because I am trying to push product. I was trying to push in the hair care aisle with five guests. I pulled my Uboat to the side to try to get out of the way and they felt bad for me.

Happens several times an hour in toys. It's a browse section. Guests need to be able to browse there, but they can't do it with my freaking uboat in the way. Most do apologize, but that should be unnecessary.

Dear Target, A guest should not have to apologize to me because they are in my way because I am trying to push product. I was trying to push in the hair care aisle with five guests. I pulled my Uboat to the side to try to get out of the way and they felt bad for me.

THIS! I had one apologize to me while I was doing a flex order tonight. No, no, no. This is not how it works! I moved my cart and handed them their item before going on my way.

Back