MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Also today sucked because literally EVERY SINGLE GUEST who asked for my help finding something got sent by me to other stores because of the infamous "0 on floor, 0 in back, 1 on hand" bullshit. This must be what it was like working at Target Canada. Sucks to suck!
The real question is why do other stores send guests to yours without calling when it says one on hand? Before I send anyone anywhere I offer to call or provide their number

Thankfully I haven't had any guest get assblasted about that yet, if I run into the dreaded 0-0-1 thing then I just tell them that inventory tracking is useless this time of year and that "1 on hand" makes t.com say we have it when we probably don't, and that if it's not located in the back then it might as well be on the moon and they understand. I think it's because a lot of what they're looking for this time of year is intended to be given as a Christmas gift so they're more willing to go to greater lengths to find it, even if that means driving around to several stores (which they were probably planning on doing anyway in the course of Christmas shopping). It just annoys me because I would rather help someone find something and put it in their hand.

The real question is why do other stores send guests to yours without calling when it says one on hand? Before I send anyone anywhere I offer to call or provide their number
Who on the sales floor has the time to stop everything and call another store and play the question game when asking the other TM if the item is in stock? I tell guests they'd best call to be sure, I don't freely offer to call anymore. Sometimes guests ask me to call, and based on how much time those calls take I'm choosing between putting out reshop for an entire subsection of softlines vs. calling for item verification of one item every time I tell a guest that another store likely has it. There's already far too much being thrown at me and too little time given to me to do it.

I have never ever called another store and never will. What am I, a Time Lord? If my Zebra shows that another store has the item in stock, I rip a piece off of the nearest box flap and write down the DPCI and that store's phone number, and give it to the guest so they can knock themselves out.

Thankfully I haven't had any guest get assblasted about that yet, if I run into the dreaded 0-0-1 thing then I just tell them that inventory tracking is useless this time of year and that "1 on hand" makes t.com say we have it when we probably don't, and that if it's not located in the back then it might as well be on the moon and they understand. I think it's because a lot of what they're looking for this time of year is intended to be given as a Christmas gift so they're more willing to go to greater lengths to find it, even if that means driving around to several stores (which they were probably planning on doing anyway in the course of Christmas shopping). It just annoys me because I would rather help someone find something and put it in their hand.
I say something along the lines of "it could be in a guest's cart right now walking up to the front to buy it" or "it can take a few hours to update" and they get it

I haven't even touched it in over a week. Trying to finish the truck push first, but been dragged away to SFS. And everyday, I see my areas add up on number of DPCIs to pull....

On that note, had a Sr.TL "got salty" over the fact why reshop wasn't done. I point to the remaining U-boats of truck from today, yesterday, and the pile of Backstock left from the previous person pushing my area. And she knew of the fact that she and I were helping SFS picking throughout the day this past week...😔

I was fortunate to have barely enough time to Backstock, but was told get ready for a double tomorrow...And my backroom aisle.. I'm Backstocking wherever there's open space in my area from here on out. No point in even organizing it by store aisle anymore.

And I can literally hear my backroom aisle groaning.

Reason #2,702 on why modernization sucks.
I remember the good ol' days when we had a team pull autofills every morning and cafs in the afternoon. The system was always clear. Now it hardly gets pulled and adds up to basically working another truck. 29,000 eaches total in the move app that needs to be cleared, pushed and re backstocked. Eliminating the backroom team was such a bad move. The only positive to modernization I see is no longer using shopping carts and having pallets on the floor.

Who on the sales floor has the time to stop everything and call another store and play the question game when asking the other TM if the item is in stock? I tell guests they'd best call to be sure, I don't freely offer to call anymore. Sometimes guests ask me to call, and based on how much time those calls take I'm choosing between putting out reshop for an entire subsection of softlines vs. calling for item verification of one item every time I tell a guest that another store likely has it. There's already far too much being thrown at me and too little time given to me to do it.

While there really isn't time to do this, trust me it can pay off huge dividends. A few days ago this woman stopped me asking if we carried something. I knew we didn't have that and told her so immediately. Started looking around for other stores that might. This somehow turned into me and two other TMs calling every store nearby to see if they had it in stock. (Hey, it was for her nephew's Christmas. We are the toys department. Making little kids' Christmas special is the only thing that keeps us going right now. And, it does beat pushing freight.) About 20 minutes later we found a store about an hour and a half away that was willing to put it on hold for her.

This lady was so happy. It was awesome. But, the big payoff was she wrote down our names and said she would tell [STL's name] how great we were. Turns out she used to be our STL's boss at his old job. Shitting you not to make this perfect. The lady takes off on the racetrack just as every single lead in the store rounds the corner with the DTL there for a surprise visit and stops to chat with them. I don't know what was said. But, all of us got 40 hours on the two week schedule and the ETLs who would previously barely acknowledge us are now really, really nice. (The rest of the visit didn't go so well apparently. My store is apparently being called by corporate everyday since. Corporate is telling STL that they might be visiting everyday so be ready, but they never show up. LOL)

Welcome to working at GS. Frustrates me when someone from the sales floor sends them to GS so we can call another store.

While there really isn't time to do this, trust me it can pay off huge dividends.
Yes, maybe a great once in a while a minor miracle happens where the guest has a lot of store politics influence. More likely though, spending all that time finding another store ends up with leadership having a nice long chat with you about why the zone looks like shit or why half your reshop cart is still in the cart and time management skills and how that time could have also been used to help other guests (plural) and you could have given her a list of numbers instead.

Yes, maybe a great once in a while a minor miracle happens where the guest has a lot of store politics influence. More likely though, spending all that time finding another store ends up with leadership having a nice long chat with you about why the zone looks like shit or why half your reshop cart is still in the cart and time management skills and how that time could have also been used to help other guests (plural) and you could have given her a list of numbers instead.
And this is the difference between saying you want to deliver a great guest experience and actually delivering a great guest experience. You can’t have stellar guest service and optimally efficient logistics if you aren’t willing to make the payroll, training, and performance management investments. You can do this on the cheap and hope it all works out. I was shopping in a few different stores over the week and it’s so frustrating for me to see what they’ve become. Pallets all over, wrecked zones, completely blocked off aisles, outs everywhere...and also getting no help from any of the few TMs I passed...not even a smile or eye contact...just walked right past me with a sullen look. Then I’ve had online orders promise 2 day shipping and I’m now up to 3 weeks backordered. This isn’t sustainable. Modernization is great in theory, but until management makes real investments in payroll and training, everything is moot.

Last edited:
This this this. Never blindly send someone to another store if it says limited stock. Always have a TM at another store physically check if we have the item.

And this is the difference between saying you want to deliver a great guest experience and actually delivering a great guest experience.

Really? Not calling means I'm only paying lip service to providing great guest experience? So greeting the guest, listening to them when they explain what they want, tracking down the dpci for what they want, checking to see if we have it in stock or in the back, seeing who else has it and telling the guest who does, offering to take them to the fitting room so I can write down the dpci for them so it will make it easier when they call other stores, telling them about my checkout and offering that as an option, suggesting viable alternatives that we have in store, and saying a pleasant goodbye is only mediocre guest experience because I skipped the phone call? Unless you've seen me in action, you can't grade me on how good of a guest experience I offer and say that I'm only paying lip service. Kiss off.

Store stock displays, like TVs, are a major pain with the 1-on-hand issues.

Store stock displays, like TVs, are a major pain with the 1-on-hand issues.

....and car seats... black Friday they apparently had some sort of deal on a car seat that everyone wanted. Trouble was that the 2 "on hands" it was showing was two displays we had for it (why we had two I have no clue) -_-

Car seat displays aren't the same dpci number as the item. Your store just has two on hand that you cant find
Or the store never received the display, so an ETL demanded one be opened to use as a display. Our STL does that all the time, and I'm apparently the only one who realizes we need to defect that one out.

Anybody who has been negatively impacted (job threatened, low morale, etc) by this failed process send me your story, pictures of unsafe freight, etc. I am working dilligently to have our voices heard. This company culture is not right.
I walked out after 20 years as a senior. Harassed is a great word to use. New leadership the past year and i was able to prove hostile work environment and collect unemployment. Moral at my store was insane. And group district no one got involved. Multiple hotline calls and the place just sucks. Everyone has walked out. Sadly to see that this is happening at other stores. Now let’s also not forget falsifying documents for food trucks , steritech and everything else under the sun.

Back