MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The new hours and expectations we've already rolled out are crashing and burning. We're losing so many people, including TLs, with more to go as mids become mandatory. We have no one on the bench, and no one coming in for interviews at all.
Is there any chance they change some of these things, or are they really going to keep pushing when there's no staff??

I don't want to quit until benefits roll over because my dependent hit OOP max this year, but things are getting desperate where I'm at...

All leaders being told they will have to work 11-730 shifts instead of their normal rotation. We're currently doing 9-530 and 10-630, with rumors of moving later, and already people are quitting.
Especially since most of our TMs aren't held to the same standards, working like 7-noon shifts because of availability, and TLs don't really make that much more money right now.

Saw something in the chat I was curious about. Is GSA/SEA going away completely now? (I've been in the pilot and we're still here, but I didn't know if that had changed now that it's rolling out companywide.) How is that going to shake out if they want TLs/Leads working mids only? Are they going to give more well-qualified cashiers numbers and rotate the opens/closes?

All leaders being told they will have to work 11-730 shifts instead of their normal rotation. We're currently doing 9-530 and 10-630, with rumors of moving later, and already people are quitting.
Especially since most of our TMs aren't held to the same standards, working like 7-noon shifts because of availability, and TLs don't really make that much more money right now.
Sorry for double-post, but I've worked in two stores in a pilot district, and yeah, the Leads came in somewhere between 9-11 and left between 5-7. GSTL has been 10-6:30 at both stores, when they aren't low on GSA/SEA headcount (which is most of the time).

I work 9-2...would work later but they are very nearly chasing us out the door the second it's 1:45. "Get out no later than 5 hours!" It's just...ugh.

Skeleton crew, and we have no hours. There's been stuff left over after nearly every truck.

If I'm going to be held to TL standards give me that pay too.

I find it offensive that my STL hasn't said anything to the plano team about this.
The Q1 guide includes key dates for the actual conversation, which includes taking to effected tl or tm prior to these meetings. But it's a fit in or get out sounding discussion on paper. They've been hanging out over the pptl for months her job is going away with no answer as to what she'll do. I'm over it.

I find it offensive that my STL hasn't said anything to the plano team about this.
I've point blank questioned my stl and ETLhr about this. They say there are no specifics and more information later. I told the I didn't want to walk in one day and be told I no longer have a position.
There are specific days scheduled to roll all of this out in stores. ETLs in the morning, TLs in the afternoon, TMs after that. All stores should be hearing at the same time. STLs also have a specific time to get the plan. Highly impacted ETLs, TLs, and TMs are to be spoken to ahead of the meeting. There are no KNOWN specifics at store level until after Spring meeting.

Don't take this as gospel, but a leader at a neighboring store has said there was talk about pulling back on part of the plano team stuff, because everything was completely falling apart in pilot stores during big transitions, especially stuff like Beauty and gifting. SL can handle sets because the sets are flexible, HL is completely different.

If I'm going to be held to TL standards give me that pay too.

This was about schedules and hours, not expectations/workload. We bend over backwards at our store to accommodate TM's dumb availabilities (half my team's not available weekends, or during peak hours, and a lot of them didn't work on Thanksgiving, even) because the hiring pool is non-existent, and a lot of this new schedule is to accommodate that. And, quite frankly, to continue cutting TM's hours because they can expect more work out of a leader.

You're about to be held to a much worse standard when your leaders aren't around to help manage the workload, tbh. My TMs that come in before me are expected to assess the day and the workload and get started on it with zero direction. Freight, plano, price changes, audit are all expected to be planned for, started, and well underway, if not finished, before I get there. E2E TMs are now expected to be complete "business owners" of their assigned sections, and operate without leadership aid or direction.
It's completely unfair for the pay, I agree, and I don't know how TPTB think this is going to pan out in the long haul.

Don't take this as gospel, but a leader at a neighboring store has said there was talk about pulling back on part of the plano team stuff, because everything was completely falling apart in pilot stores during big transitions

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Don't take this as gospel, but a leader at a neighboring store has said there was talk about pulling back on part of the plano team stuff, because everything was completely falling apart in pilot stores during big transitions, especially stuff like Beauty and gifting. SL can handle sets because the sets are flexible, HL is completely different.

I have heard this as well. But I don't trust it yet.

See, the thing is, they might as well, because realistically, they can't do shit to prevent any store from keeping a plano team if they really want to. Hell, we still have a secret instocks team, and that was supposed to be gone ages ago. They can kick everyone out of the Presentation workcenter and force them to be scheduled as Hardlines, but as long as the TMs are coached on what to say if they're asked about what they're doing during a visit, it's likely that even if plano was "eliminated", a lot of stores would just schedule the old plano team under the new workcenter and have them doing what they've been doing.

See, the thing is, they might as well, because realistically, they can't do shit to prevent any store from keeping a plano team if they really want to. Hell, we still have a secret instocks team, and that was supposed to be gone ages ago. They can kick everyone out of the Presentation workcenter and force them to be scheduled as Hardlines, but as long as the TMs are coached on what to say if they're asked about what they're doing during a visit, it's likely that even if plano was "eliminated", a lot of stores would just schedule the old plano team under the new workcenter and have them doing what they've been doing.

We were doing this for quite a while with price changes and inbound, and of course one of the TMs opened their mouth when we had a visit, because they just had to be a smart ass to corporate about how the new system sucked.
We've had a lot of scrutiny on our processes since then, and I doubt our STL is willing to put himself out like that again. Like, they literally come in and covertly watch what people are doing. May get away with more stuff outside of the big areas, I guess.
Ironically, that TM put themselves out of a job when we transitioned to the official processes.

There's been stuff left over after nearly every truck.

This is the bane of my existence when I'm scheduled to close. I have to spend too much of my time pushing freight out so that all the vehicles are available for the next truck. Pushing frieght at night sucks. The store is at a completely different rhythm. There aren't a lot of TMs. Tonight it was just me in all of hardlines for the 6 hours before close. So calls are constant for fast service, electronics backup, guest first, etc. And, the truck team always leaves the worst possible shit for last, so that's what I end up having to push: fucking domestics and home furnishings.

Just give the truck team hours to do their thing completely so that I have time to fix the issues they cause in my section. We had a huddle tonight and were told that the store's primary emphasis for the new fiscal year is going to be flex pick time and INF%. We have to keep those in the green or heads are going to roll. Cool. I get that. I'm on board with that. I pick up flex shifts when I can and back them up when they get slammed. Now, how about I go back to my work center and get to fixing the issues that cause missed goal times and INFs? No, there are flats of home furnishings that need to be pushed out so the vehicles are available for the next truck to load up with more home furnishings that also won't be pushed out by the truck team? Oh. Ok then. I'll get right on that after I cover the electronics' TM's meal, take my meal, and then slow walk to the back to get the flat while thinking of all the ways to show you I love you, love you, love you like I do for this stupidity.

This is the bane of my existence when I'm scheduled to close. I have to spend too much of my time pushing freight out so that all the vehicles are available for the next truck. Pushing frieght at night sucks. The store is at a completely different rhythm. There aren't a lot of TMs. Tonight it was just me in all of hardlines for the 6 hours before close. So calls are constant for fast service, electronics backup, guest first, etc. And, the truck team always leaves the worst possible shit for last, so that's what I end up having to push: fucking domestics and home furnishings.

Just give the truck team hours to do their thing completely so that I have time to fix the issues they cause in my section. We had a huddle tonight and were told that the store's primary emphasis for the new fiscal year is going to be flex pick time and INF%. We have to keep those in the green or heads are going to roll. Cool. I get that. I'm on board with that. I pick up flex shifts when I can and back them up when they get slammed. Now, how about I go back to my work center and get to fixing the issues that cause missed goal times and INFs? No, there are flats of home furnishings that need to be pushed out so the vehicles are available for the next truck to load up with more home furnishings that also won't be pushed out by the truck team? Oh. Ok then. I'll get right on that after I cover the electronics' TM's meal, take my meal, and then slow walk to the back to get the flat while thinking of all the ways to show you I love you, love you, love you like I do for this stupidity.
Our truck team moves any unfinished push to flatbeds that are staged in receiving so the line can be set with all the u boats. Closers don’t push, their job is to help guests, deliver clean zones, finish the reshop, and help back up. If truck team rolls stuff over, they deal with it the next day, and have us breathing down their necks to get yesterday’s and today’s done. Needless to say, with the same people pushing the same areas almost daily, rollover is minimal. Ownership and accountability are what made this process succeed for me. When the team’s incentive is the work getting easier as a result of working accurately and comprehensively, they bust their asses AND don’t get burnt out. It’s like I have a squad of mini team leads. We leave them alone, they do what they know they need to do. They like the independence.

Not sure how the rest of you are doing this, but rather than putting our flow team on the floor during business hours, we took away the payroll and have our sales floor team members doing truck. They aren’t pathologically adverse to backstock or guests, and understand the consequences of flexing incorrectly and not zoning as they go. After they backstock, they audit. Flow teams hours got cut significantly, the ones that stayed/get hours do the sorting

Last edited:
That's how it's been working at my store. Nothing would get set otherwise. Plano can be complicated. Some of our team members can barely work freight and backstock correctly, let alone set pogs. If they had to learn plano, I'm sure they would quit.

That's how it's been working at my store. Nothing would get set otherwise. Plano can be complicated. Some of our team members can barely work freight and backstock correctly, let alone set pogs. If they had to learn plano, I'm sure they would quit.

I've been amazed reading about all the stores that seem to have functional teams that are trying their best.
More than half of my team were forced on me from seasonal shipping and given no training hours outside of that whatsoever, and I could probably name two team members that even make a partial effort, or care when they're "coached" for putting all of the freight in random places and putting the backstock in back without scanning it in, so they have more time to sit in the Fitting Room stalls and chat, or take six breaks in a four hour shift.
Having to do price changes, let alone plano, is terrifying.

Not sure how the rest of you are doing this, but rather than putting our flow team on the floor during business hours, we took away the payroll and have our sales floor team members doing truck. They aren’t pathologically adverse to backstock or guests, and understand the consequences of flexing incorrectly and not zoning as they go. After they backstock, they audit. Flow teams hours got cut significantly, the ones that stayed/get hours do the sorting

Flow Team here was split into two teams, one that comes in at 6:30 (to actually unload the truck, they do some pushing too) and some at 9. Priority 1 and 2 I guess. I'm P2 and come in at 9.

We're officially labeled "sales floor" at 9 and we still get hours, but it's been really thin on the ground. Like, I have 2 days a week, kind of thin. A couple weeks back I was able to get an extra day here and there, but not last week, and probably not this week, either. If it weren't for my taxes coming back in I'd be up shit creek.

Yeah, that's why my username is what it is. I'm on flow for a reason. I certainly didn't take this job to do pricing or plano--if I wanted to do that, I would have applied for it in the first place. I'm not trying to sound lazy, it's just that I simply don't have the head for it (I'm more than a bit dim, I'll admit, especially since doing any work now I get constantly pulled away from it by every guest that needs help every other minute), pushing freight/the truck is simple and interacting with guests is fine.

Training also doesn't last long enough, and even if they tried to get people to train other people--there's no time, literally, at my store they are pulling people from the backroom and a bunch of other places just to get things pushed without giving flow more hours. Almost everyone's got a second job...urgh

Last edited:

Joy_Emoji_Huge.png

I guarantee you this is what my store is trying to do. Either that, or the STL is wanting us to get stuff done early before plano goes away so we don't have to have too many big sets fucked up. For instance, we're starting sporting goods tomorrow.

We were doing this for quite a while with price changes and inbound, and of course one of the TMs opened their mouth when we had a visit, because they just had to be a smart ass to corporate about how the new system sucked.
We've had a lot of scrutiny on our processes since then, and I doubt our STL is willing to put himself out like that again. Like, they literally come in and covertly watch what people are doing. May get away with more stuff outside of the big areas, I guess.
Ironically, that TM put themselves out of a job when we transitioned to the official processes.

I'm glad they lost their job. If they wanna be a smartass and ruin the good thing you guys had going, they can be out.

I've been amazed reading about all the stores that seem to have functional teams that are trying their best.
More than half of my team were forced on me from seasonal shipping and given no training hours outside of that whatsoever, and I could probably name two team members that even make a partial effort, or care when they're "coached" for putting all of the freight in random places and putting the backstock in back without scanning it in, so they have more time to sit in the Fitting Room stalls and chat, or take six breaks in a four hour shift.

Price change is just boring.

I guarantee that if they got rid of plano and signing, approximately 60% of new displays would still be in the back.

Price change is the special hell of being boring, but also incredibly stressful because no one understands how long it can take, and what the workload involves... and now instead of JUST doing price changes, you also have to set your POGs/VMGs, work all your freight, walk all your guests to the fitting room and write their names on a damn mirror, do all your backstock… and no one helps you, because our DTL believes in "zone area ownership instead of teamwork" (literally a quote.)
So, some weeks one TM will be buried into what's likely 100+ hours of workload or more, while the others superzone the jeans and chit chat.

Back