MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
How does the new op model have you ending up over on TLs? TL headcount should be going up and ETL going down at most stores

From what i can recall we have about 9 regular TL's and 3 more that are SrTL's. We had our store remodel last year and that's when some TM's got promoted to TL. Unfortunately I'm not sure what level store we are so I don't know if this is matters to the number of team leads we have. I'm guessing it does though. I obviously don't have all the information. But i do know management is having the conversations with the TL's that are being affected this week.

From what i can recall we have about 9 regular TL's and 3 more that are SrTL's. We had our store remodel last year and that's when some TM's got promoted to TL. Unfortunately I'm not sure what level store we are so I don't know if this is matters to the number of team leads we have. I'm guessing it does though. I obviously don't have all the information. But i do know management is having the conversations with the TL's that are being affected this week.
Sounds like a ULV under 30 million if you have three seniors and only 7 TLs... my old store had 14 TLs and 2 Seniors

The rough days and weeks seem to be a more common occurrence under Modernization. Obviously they happened before, but they were much easier to manage. Since payroll has gotten cut and the new culture has pushed veteran workers away from Target, there's really little we can do to make things work.

The solution is to just performance out everyone who has doubts, calls off, or isn't willing to help out, of course.. but then we'd have maybe just 5 people left in the store. Just need to hire some people then, right? Yeah, and dump an insane workload and unreliable hours on them for $13 when they could earn the same amount, if not more, flipping burgers down the street.

Target really hasn't thought this through.
Payroll cutting is a misconception of modernization. Hours don't get cut they get reallocated. someone is either not scheduling to the op model or not allocating right. Even on a non truck day at the low volume stores in my district the style team has at minimum 4 tms plus the lead.

Yes and No, you can flex transition into PTM areas. You cant flex full resets (seasonal) so you would have to trap and wrap, or have a mountain of problems.
Actually be ready for phase 2 lol. PTM is going away as are MPG labels. expect the company to move everything around so you set right off a truck directly, we have been piloting something like this at our store as of recent

Actually be ready for phase 2 lol. PTM is going away as are MPG labels. expect the company to move everything around so you set right off a truck directly, we have been piloting something like this at our store as of recent

How do you set right off the truck? Either you flex stuff in to where you think it goes, shoot labels (or leave it unlabeled), and then go back once the revision or pog is due and rearrange, or, set it before the product comes. I can't even imagine what mini seasonal and rear seasonal must look like all mashed together. We couldn't even begin to set Easter in mini until at least 2 days after valentine's day. How would you shove a whole new set on top.of all that and still keep it shoppable?

Ha! We are ahead of the game on that one. Other than myself, no one outside of Seasonal and Mini, has PTM’d in years at my store.

:lol sob:

How do you set right off the truck? Either you flex stuff in to where you think it goes, shoot labels (or leave it unlabeled), and then go back once the revision or pog is due and rearrange, or, set it before the product comes. I can't even imagine what mini seasonal and rear seasonal must look like all mashed together. We couldn't even begin to set Easter in mini until at least 2 days after valentine's day. How would you shove a whole new set on top.of all that and still keep it shoppable?
They would have to be more aggressive with clearance and/or salvage items the day/week of the set (not a week or two later.) Would be a big help. Especially in areas like shoes or Seasonal/Mini.

ETA: Also work on the logistics of getting us the label strips and supplies in co-ordination with the product.

Last edited:
They would have to be more aggressive with clearance and/or salvage items the day of the set (not a week or two later.) Would be a big help. Especially in areas like shoes or Seasonal/Mini.

ETA: Also work on the logistics of getting us the label strips and supplies in co-ordination with the product.

I know they are starting to salvage clearance the week of a transition so it doesn't need to be moved to endcaps. Saw it mentioned in the Stationery transition communication. I'm not sure how well that would work for areas with a 100% change though. Mini and Seasonal would be hard to do that with because of the amount of product coming out. As it is, we end up salvaging about 2 pallets worth after everything has gone to 90% off. Imagine how many pallets that would be if we didn't let it sell down first.

Sounds like a ULV under 30 million if you have three seniors and only 7 TLs... my old store had 14 TLs and 2 Seniors
We are not ULV and I know we don't have that many TLs. We are the highest volume out of 3 stores in the area. We are B volume.

Your naïveté makes my eye twitch. Check back in when your store has fully implemented modernization. The utopia of endless hours with perfect processes and woodland animals leaping through the meadows, does not exist. My bad, that was a guest leaping over a u-boat again.
I’m not naive I’m motivated and have trust in my leadership and coworkers. Thanks for the negative comments. I’ll enjoy my 1 day off this week and get ready to get my 40 in this week (;

And sometimes it goes above the STLs. They get pressured to reduce benefit costs in their stores regardless of how good the employee is.
I understand that. I just don’t understand why there are so many negative people on this website. If you don’t like the changes then instead of waisting your time being negative and instilling these negative thoughts in these people’s heads either try your best to bring these people up or leave the company and find a new job, simple.

I understand that. I just don’t understand why there are so many negative people on this website. If you don’t like the changes then instead of waisting your time being negative and instilling these negative thoughts in these people’s heads either try your best to bring these people up or leave the company and find a new job, simple.

Do keep in mind that this is the place that people go to vent after a rough day and most importantly ASANTS.
Just because everything is going smoothly at your store doesn't mean the same thing is happening across the country.
Although they should take the same thing into account. Just because everything sucks at their store doesn't mean it is the same every where.
Please though for all that is holy, do not use the "why don't you just get another job" line.
People can have issues with their jobs and management without being told they are ungrateful bastards.

Last edited:
Some people prefer to stay around for the long haul at a job after they get one rather than bounce around from job to job like some kind of early 20th century itinerant worker, Grapes of Wrath style. It can be discouraging to put in time and dedication at a company only to have the company itself come in and take a flamethrower to everything without warning. Most people here don't have the stupidly good fortune to have @busyzoningtoys as a TL, who himself(?) has competent superiors willing to come through on their end...very rarely do the planets ever align in such a way.

I get that it's "just retail" but think about it. You have a job for 20+ years, and one day you're told that everything you've done and been successful with for the last 19.9 years no longer works and you have 30 seconds to lock step with THE NEW AND IMPROVED THINGor it's your ass. Naturally that's going to cause chaos.

Last edited:
I understand that. I just don’t understand why there are so many negative people on this website. If you don’t like the changes then instead of waisting your time being negative and instilling these negative thoughts in these people’s heads either try your best to bring these people up

Sorry, I'm not going to have faith and be positive when I watch almost all of the TLs get cut to 24 hours for nearly two months straight when company policy is supposed to guarantee them a minimum of 32. I'm not going to give people a false sense of hope when I spent almost 20 years working for a company just to watch some half assed buzzword completely demolish the logistics process.

You keep claiming everything is sunshine and rainbows at your store so instead of acting high and mighty, why don't you share how your store is handling it? Start with answering a few basic questions:
What volume is your store?
Is your store a Super Target or PFresh?
What is your store's ETL and TL headcount?
How many trucks do you get a week?
How big are those trucks on average?
How is your store's payroll allocated?
Do you know if your store is stealing hours from other stores in the district? (My store lost a ton of hours to prop up another store and their flow team was twice the size of ours despite being the same volume)
How many hours does your store spend on unloading, working, and backstocking a truck?
How many SFS/OPUs/whatever the current acronym is does your store get daily?
How many hours does your store spend filling them?

Then we can go on to more detailed stuff:
What's your store's turnover rate; especially in flow and backroom?
What is your store's BRLA?
Why hasn't your store abolished the backroom team yet and moved them to the floor like most stores that have "modernized"?
Do you still have dedicated price change and planogram teams too?
How many people do the unload?
How many people are pushing and in what areas?

I could go on and on. It takes more than "have faith" and "don't be negative" to make a process work. Get off your high horse and try actually being helpful if you want people to be more positive.

or leave the company
Exactly what I did.

Last edited:
AA
PFresh
ETL GE, ETL SF, ETL Log, ETL HR, ETL AP
1 GSTL, 1 SrGSTL, 2 SrTL SF, 1 SrTL Log, 5 GM TL, 1 Sbux TL
7-9
Creatively but correctly and working towards aligning with the new op model.

Do you know if your store is stealing hours from other stores in the district?
We are one of the stores hours are being stolen from.
How many hours does your store spend on unloading, working, and backstocking a truck?
Unload: 6 TMs + 1 TL, 2 hours unload and sort. Push: PP1 6 TMs, 4-6 hours. PP2: 6 TMs, 6-8 hours.
Backstock: 3-4 TMs, 2 hours. Not including PP2, backstock is included in their push time.
(softlines not included as I don’t know how they do shit these days)
I’ll update this when I can remember but we do have 3-4 pallets picked up a day for ship.
Too lazy to get out of bed and look at yesterday’s grid.
Don’t know the exact percentage, but turnover is low overall and extremely low for logistics. Highest turnover is beauty.
97.6%
Why hasn't your store abolished the backroom team yet and moved them to the floor like most stores that have "modernized"?
We will complete this step in the next 2 weeks. Almost there. PP2 owns their backroom aisles and tasks. As does food, beauty, electronics, and softlines.
Price change is currently working to get everything caught up so that the sales floor teams can take over their own price change not being behind. Softlines owns their own price change. Softlines owns their own presentation too. PP2 mostly doing own price change. PP2 owns their own presentation as well, will be doing stationary transition with zero help from other teams.
I’d have to look at my notes for the full list, but we’ve fine tuned our areas of ownership, and those people have provided feedback to tweak the custom blocks. This has resulted in the vehicles being very efficient to push.

While I'm glad you took the time to answer most of the questions, responses like this don't help us. The payroll question in particular is significant because it gives us an idea on how many hours your store is spending and where. Even though sales trends will vary by store and payroll tends to follow, even just "x in hardlines, y in softlines, z in grocery" is better than nothing. I'm not looking for exact counts since I don't want anyone to risk being outed.

I’ll update this when I can remember but we do have 3-4 pallets picked up a day for ship.
Close enough.

I'm a bit behind on terminology since it's been almost a year since I left Target, what's PP1 and PP2?

AA
PFresh
ETL GE, ETL SF, ETL Log, ETL HR, ETL AP
1 GSTL, 1 SrGSTL, 2 SrTL SF, 1 SrTL Log, 5 GM TL, 1 Sbux TL
7-9

Do you know if your store is stealing hours from other stores in the district?
We are one of the stores hours are being stolen from.
Unload: 6 TMs + 1 TL, 2 hours unload and sort. Push: PP1 6 TMs, 4-6 hours. PP2: 6 TMs, 6-8 hours.
Backstock: 3-4 TMs, 2 hours. Not including PP2, backstock is included in their push time.
(softlines not included as I don’t know how they do shit these days)
Too lazy to get out of bed and look at yesterday’s grid.
Don’t know the exact percentage, but turnover is low overall and extremely low for logistics. Highest turnover is beauty.
97.6%
We will complete this step in the next 2 weeks. Almost there. PP2 owns their backroom aisles and tasks. As does food, beauty, electronics, and softlines.
Price change is currently working to get everything caught up so that the sales floor teams can take over their own price change not being behind. Softlines owns their own price change. Softlines owns their own presentation too. PP2 mostly doing own price change. PP2 owns their own presentation as well, will be doing stationary transition with zero help from other teams.
I’d have to look at my notes for the full list, but we’ve fine tuned our areas of ownership, and those people have provided feedback to tweak the custom blocks. This has resulted in the vehicles being very efficient to push.
I was with you until "(softlines not included as I don’t know how they do shit these days)." Dang it! This is seriously the highest hurdle for us and why Modernization is not working at my store. It's gumming up the works for everyone. Even the space for Softlines sort has been cut by yet another third. Need a pallet of diapers? Or basketballs? Or any baby or sporting goods item? Move all the racks outta the way and get that WAV on in there! The sorter called out? Just pile those pallets high, boys! Who cares? Those are the days I cashier for 1/2 my shift because all my other duties (VMGs, POGs, Pricing, zoning and reshop) are as caught up as they can be without new merchandise. Thankfully I've been able to help with Lace.

I was with you until "(softlines not included as I don’t know how they do shit these days)." Dang it! This is seriously the highest hurdle for us and why Modernization is not working at my store. It's gumming up the works for everyone. Even the space for Softlines sort has been cut by yet another third. Need a pallet of diapers? Or basketballs? Or any baby or sporting goods item? Move all the racks outta the way and get that WAV on in there! The sorter called out? Just pile those pallets high, boys! Who cares? Those are the days I cashier for 1/2 my shift because all my other duties (VMGs, POGs, Pricing, zoning and reshop) are as caught up as they can be without new merchandise. Thankfully I've been able to help with Lace.
We just further expanded the area for softlines.

Remove steel above and past the line, and have it there. This way it isn’t in the way of anything else.

We typically have 1-2 for unload/sort in the morning. Then 4-5 for open, pushing zoning setting etc.

Last edited:
While I'm glad you took the time to answer most of the questions, responses like this don't help us. The payroll question in particular is significant because it gives us an idea on how many hours your store is spending and where. Even though sales trends will vary by store and payroll tends to follow, even just "x in hardlines, y in softlines, z in grocery" is better than nothing. I'm not looking for exact counts since I don't want anyone to risk being outed.

Close enough.

I'm a bit behind on terminology since it's been almost a year since I left Target, what's PP1 and PP2?
If you don’t mind it being deliberately vague, give me a day and I’ll send an outline of how it’s broken down. I’ll just have to obfuscate it a bit as I probably reveal way more about myself and my store on here than I should. I’m off today though; I have the payroll allocation for the two week out in my inbox though.

Back