MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees how unrealistic this nonsense is. They want us to focus on guest first. Sure not problem. But nothing is going to get pushed and not all guest ask if something is in the back. The majority of people who walk in and don’t see what they are looking for just leave and go spend their money at a competitor. Freight not getting pushed equals loss of sales. Loss of sales means less payroll to go around. It’s just a vicious cycle with a simple answer that seems to be so taboo now days. We push the trucks overnight. But I guess that extra dollar means more to them....
“Unrealistic” ..... my store is finished with everything by the end of the day, every day and we are quite a bit ahead of most in the modernization process. Truck is done everyday except markets side of it. They want to ensure people are worth $15 an hour. In most areas of the country that’s really good money. Stop complaining and do your part to help your team get it done at the correct time every day

“Unrealistic” ..... my store is finished with everything by the end of the day, every day and we are quite a bit ahead of most in the modernization process. Truck is done everyday except markets side of it. They want to ensure people are worth $15 an hour. In most areas of the country that’s really good money. Stop complaining and do your part to help your team get it done at the correct time every day

Every .... the hallmark of hyperbole. Pog is never behind. Price change all caught up. Every label in the right place. Fixture room perfect. No missing fixtures. Congratulations, you have the first perfect store ever.

You need to challenge your leaders on this

This process won’t work if leadership doesn’t get their heads out of their asses.
THIS^
Issues at my store in particular start with this! Challenge you say!? We've challenged and got talked to sternly about how negative we are being.
We (TL's) bring them the issues and the solutions just to be shot down. So yeah, this is exactly why modernization is not working for us! No one has the balls to challenge anymore. Inbound TM's do not set pogs/do price change, zone, etc. They are supposed become P1 after truck unload, right?! Well that's not the case. So hence the frustration

So you are ok with the unloaders only getting four hours? That seems like a reasonable amount to live off to you?
In my store it’s mostly retired people supplementing their social security. They can’t work more than so many hours or it effects their ss checks. They’re physically fit and fast.
It’s also college students needing to head to class.

Every .... the hallmark of hyperbole. Pog is never behind. Price change all caught up. Every label in the right place. Fixture room perfect. No missing fixtures. Congratulations, you have the first perfect store ever.
So this backs up a previous statement I’ve made. Negative people in retail is what is wrong with retail, not target. Go on indeed and look at the jobs hiring for $15 an hour.. under the previous model, back room was worth 15 at my store but now that everyone has to work equally as hard, my team from back room appreciates the changes. What does that tell you?

So this backs up a previous statement I’ve made. Negative people in retail is what is wrong with retail, not target. Go on indeed and look at the jobs hiring for $15 an hour.. under the previous model, back room was worth 15 at my store but now that everyone has to work equally as hard, my team from back room appreciates the changes. What does that tell you?
I agree with you in the equal part only, but inbound (General Merchandise Tm's) now only gets 4 hours shift and they have to come at opening hours (2 hours later than before) and can't push anything to the floor because everybody owns a section (General Merchandise Experts), so how people in back room are going to be happy when they are only scheduled 3-4 days a week? And I can't see how backroom people can extend hours if they are not allowed to push anything since they now are only SORTERS. They rather work with the old operating model at $12 with more hours and pushing merchandise to the floor. Who can live and pay rent and bills with 12-16 hours a week? Does Target want to have workers who live with food stamps? Is this the future?
I can't see this working out and keep happy tm's. I get that we have to work harder and more efficiently, and I'm not afraid of that, but you CANNOT live with this shortage of hours.
I hear many Tm's are thinking of quitting already in our store and you can breath negativity everywhere in there. Jayrod1994, can you blame them?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees how unrealistic this nonsense is. They want us to focus on guest first. Sure not problem. But nothing is going to get pushed and not all guest ask if something is in the back. The majority of people who walk in and don’t see what they are looking for just leave and go spend their money at a competitor. Freight not getting pushed equals loss of sales. Loss of sales means less payroll to go around. It’s just a vicious cycle with a simple answer that seems to be so taboo now days. We push the trucks overnight. But I guess that extra dollar means more to them....

Playing devils advocate here.

Part of the guest first culture is you know, actually talking to the guest. While the whole sort and stock is not nearly close to being great at my store, there are things we can do to help out.

Actually talking to the guest and saying things like what brings you in? They will tell you what they are shopping for.

Or if you overhear someone say oh they’re out of XYZ. Actually go over and scan it and see if any are located in the back. If you don’t have any offer to check another store or have them buy it online with the my checkout.

No, the process is not smooth right now, but you better be damn sure I’m doing what I can while it’s not to ensure those guests are still shopping here when it does finally smooth out.

I agree with you in the equal part only, but inbound (General Merchandise Tm's) now only gets 4 hours shift and they have to come at opening hours (2 hours later than before) and can't push anything to the floor because everybody owns a section (General Merchandise Experts), so how people in back room are going to be happy when they are only scheduled 3-4 days a week? And I can't see how backroom people can extend hours if they are not allowed to push anything since they now are only SORTERS. They rather work with the old operating model at $12 with more hours and pushing merchandise to the floor. Who can live and pay rent and bills with 12-16 hours a week? Does Target want to have workers who live with food stamps? Is this the future?
I can't see this working out and keep happy tm's. I get that we have to work harder and more efficiently, and I'm not afraid of that, but you CANNOT live with this shortage of hours.
I hear many Tm's are thinking of quitting already in our store and you can breath negativity everywhere in there. Jayrod1994, can you blame them?
I’m a BR TM and I get around 40 a week. If you want more, increase your value. Ask to be cross trained and kick ass when givin the opportunity. One more thing stay positive! If I can figure it out as a TM, then anyone else can. Take indicative.

I’m a BR TM and I get around 40 a week. If you want more, increase your value. Ask to be cross trained and kick ass when givin the opportunity. One more thing stay positive! If I can figure it out as a TM, then anyone else can. Take indicative.
Cross training means nothing now in most stores. With modernization and the phasing out of process teams, every team member will be cross trained, except it won’t be called that anymore since everyone will own their department and all the processes for it.

Playing devils advocate here.

Part of the guest first culture is you know, actually talking to the guest. While the whole sort and stock is not nearly close to being great at my store, there are things we can do to help out.

Actually talking to the guest and saying things like what brings you in? They will tell you what they are shopping for.

Or if you overhear someone say oh they’re out of XYZ. Actually go over and scan it and see if any are located in the back. If you don’t have any offer to check another store or have them buy it online with the my checkout.

No, the process is not smooth right now, but you better be damn sure I’m doing what I can while it’s not to ensure those guests are still shopping here when it does finally smooth out.

Lmao you'd have to fire my entire inbound team and rehire new people to get any of them to do a "hey what brings you in".

And lmao at any inbound TM ever helping someone with fucking MyCheckout. Give me a break.

Hey now, as far as the metrics are concerned, it counts just the same if they tie and lie and just print the clearance labels and pitch them. ;)

Curious to see what volume store youre at?

If you're still a backroom TM, then it sounds like your store hasn't fully adopted the modernization changes yet. There isn't supposed to be a backroom team anymore, just a TL that they can blame for crappy metrics because they handed a PDA to every half trained jackass that walks in the door.
Yea my store only has a BR TL who helps with pulls, but mainly audits/price change/LOCU etc. All team members own their area and backroom, hence no backroom. It works aslong as every one does their part

If you're still a backroom TM, then it sounds like your store hasn't fully adopted the modernization changes yet. There isn't supposed to be a backroom team anymore, just a TL that they can blame for crappy metrics because they handed a PDA to every half trained jackass that walks in the door.
There were stores in my district that would claim they are full modernization especially in market. Ask around and sure enough they have a backroom team even with market. I had a buddy that I used to work with in backroom who transferred to another store tell me that they just have him backstock market all day. Wait a minute, you do not push, zone, audit market as well. Nope never at this store. A bigger store with bigger payroll that can manipulate as they see fit to come clean while I need to follow the rules. Ironically enough the district office is located at this store

Why are you trapping or backstocking? Under modernization you are supposed have your team set aisles as they arrive on trucks. They don't want it backstocked just to have to pull it again. If they haven't told you this yet they will.

Some transition does have to be trapped though. You can't set Christmas transition before Halloween clearances out. There's no room on the floor for both to fit. Not to mention guests complain when you jump to the next holiday before the current holiday.

Why are you trapping or backstocking? Under modernization you are supposed have your team set aisles as they arrive on trucks. They don't want it backstocked just to have to pull it again. If they haven't told you this yet they will.
Yes and No, you can flex transition into PTM areas. You cant flex full resets (seasonal) so you would have to trap and wrap, or have a mountain of problems.

So as product with no location comes in, because it is for a future revision or pog, you say that want you to push it to the aisle it'll be set in, flex it in, and make labels? How will you determine whether it's fir an endcap/salesplanner or not? Sure you can look on the mydevice and see if it has a salesplanners department number.

10+ tubs of unlocated, out dated, damaged, NOF, etc.,etc out of 2 of the 4 Market aisles. This is 2 months after it was 'fixed'. The STL, ETL, TL are unconcerned about this.

The system as designed DOES NOT work. It will not work. The people who have spoken up about this have had their hours so drastically reduced it is readily apparent to all that to speak up is not worth it. but those few…

This is the same company who forced out the two special needs TMs. Those that are speaking up are not being negative they have valid concerns about how the process has been rolled out and how unconcerned the Stores and the Company are about the overall lack of… any sense that we are all on the deck of the Titanic. Pepsi Man will pop his Golden Parachute and land in a pile of money the rest of us? well I guess food stamps and selling blood is okay.

the vast majority of the people "just doing what they tell me", "rolling with the punches", "drinking the kool-aid" are going to be left shocked when it all come crumbling down around them in their rose colored glasses.

The people who have spoken up about this have had their hours so drastically reduced it is readily apparent to all that to speak up is not worth it. but those few…

Can confirm this. I am one of these people. I was getting three days a way, but I tend to talk to my coworkers a lot about the ways in which this is not working. We aren't staffed well enough for it to work. And whaddya know? I was getting three days per week. Now I'm getting one.

You need to challenge your leaders on this, and tell them that the product won’t be pushed if you keep being pulled in 15 directions. Why can’t electronics help the toys guest? Why can’t softlines or market do some backing up or the carry out? 25+ minutes at a time backing up on a lane is unacceptable, and if you were my TM and I lost an hour of your shift to the checklanes, I’d have words for the gstl. Also, salesfloor TMs covering OPU breaks? What the fuck? At my store, leaders cover OPU when there’s a break or gap. I assume this means your leaders were pushing U boats instead?

This process won’t work if leadership doesn’t get their heads out of their asses.
Me trying to set odl flat a week late with no pog team. Everything from sfs, opu, guest service, market, hl spill, open backdoor for vendor cause receiver is up front. Plus hour of smart huddle every morning right after I got in. Maybe 5hrs of every 8hr shift went to my work. 4 after you factor in all the cardboard and trash trips I made.
I've been the most trained tm for years, including etl/stl. 28hrs on new schedule only due to inventory prep. With no communication about time outside my primary work center. And over a dozen tm who left this past month including tl.

When the rats are jumping ship does it matter how fast you hire replacements?

Me trying to set odl flat a week late with no pog team. Everything from sfs, opu, guest service, market, hl spill, open backdoor for vendor cause receiver is up front. Plus hour of smart huddle every morning right after I got in. Maybe 5hrs of every 8hr shift went to my work. 4 after you factor in all the cardboard and trash trips I made.

I've been the most trained tm for years, including etl/stl. 28hrs on new schedule only due to inventory prep. With no communication about time outside my primary work center. And over a dozen tm who left this past month including tl.

When the rats are jumping ship does it matter how fast you hire replacements?
Oh

10+ tubs of unlocated, out dated, damaged, NOF, etc.,etc out of 2 of the 4 Market aisles. This is 2 months after it was 'fixed'. The STL, ETL, TL are unconcerned about this.

The system as designed DOES NOT work. It will not work. The people who have spoken up about this have had their hours so drastically reduced it is readily apparent to all that to speak up is not worth it. but those few…

This is the same company who forced out the two special needs TMs. Those that are speaking up are not being negative they have valid concerns about how the process has been rolled out and how unconcerned the Stores and the Company are about the overall lack of… any sense that we are all on the deck of the Titanic. Pepsi Man will pop his Golden Parachute and land in a pile of money the rest of us? well I guess food stamps and selling blood is okay.

the vast majority of the people "just doing what they tell me", "rolling with the punches", "drinking the kool-aid" are going to be left shocked when it all come crumbling down around them in their rose colored glasses.

So I watch my store succeed almost every day and we are further along in this than most.. please explain to me why this is going to “come crumbling down.”

Back