MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, what are the TMs currently assigned as GSAs supposed to move to?
The direction is every cashier should be able to function without a gsa. Every cashier will be able to do their own overrides. Open/close the registers and make sure they take their breaks on time. I’ve heard a lot of stores are gaining a gstl but the idea of someone standing up front open-close and answering blinkers is going away. Not sure the ultimate details yet but during the reviews you’re supposed to communicate to the cashiers these changes and if they can’t handle it they can’t be a cashier anymore. Also pog hours will be dissolved by June. VMs will no longer set VMGs and go back to more a leadership follow up role.

The direction is every cashier should be able to function without a gsa. Every cashier will be able to do their own overrides. Open/close the registers and make sure they take their breaks on time. I’ve heard a lot of stores are gaining a gstl but the idea of someone standing up front open-close and answering blinkers is going away. Not sure the ultimate details yet but during the reviews you’re supposed to communicate to the cashiers these changes and if they can’t handle it they can’t be a cashier anymore. Also pog hours will be dissolved by June. VMs will no longer set VMGs and go back to more a leadership follow up role.
Lol what about all the cashiers that put their blinkers on for that $1 price discrepancy 🤣

So if GSA goes away and TLs work primarily mids, who is opening and closing the registers? And who is in charge of the front end when there isn't a GSTL on duty?

I'm in a district that endured the pilot, and while GSA/SEA has yet to go away, I'm suddenly getting a lot of shifts where I come in an hour before open, push/zone Bullseye, then migrate to GS for the rest of my shift. (I log onto SCO for whoever the opener is, too. I'm walking right by it; that's a no-brainer.) Then, I cover the GSTL's breaks/meals (during which a GS-trained cashier covers me). I wonder if that will transition to coming in to open the registers, go to GS until (insert time here) cover breaks/meals, etc., then something similar for a closing cashier. Having someone with numbers over there also eliminates a lot of calling the GSTLs over. (Of course, it's a fair guess that ASANTS will inevitably come into play here, especially since that was still a position during the pilot.)

So if GSA goes away and TLs work primarily mids, who is opening and closing the registers? And who is in charge of the front end when there isn't a GSTL on duty?
Again not certain about details yet but The cashiers should be able to bank the lanes with the new process so I’d assume the opening cashier banks them the hops on register.

Who banks and closes the Electronics and the other non check lane registers?
Hmm. I haven't seen anything, but I love a good speculation. I don't want to give away too much about closing/banking procedures because we don't know who's looking, but GS could easily close themselves. Same with Pharmacy. (I think Pharmacy is already ASANTS with this.) Electronics would be a smidge different, but an Electronics TM is certainly capable of it.

Again not certain about details yet but The cashiers should be able to bank the lanes with the new process so I’d assume the opening cashier banks them the hops on register.

That means giving them access to the banking funds for 20 lanes? If cashiers are going to essentially be almost a GSTL, better get to that $15/hr now because $12 or $13 isn't going to cut it.

From what I gather about thus new modernization, I think there will be some issues at first and hopefully they will be ironed out over time. I also think that a lot of TM's will quit because they will be over stressed....we shall see. I was handed a card today that laid out the expectations of what a typical day would be like.

For example: (1) Come in and go directly to the area you own. Make sure it's ready to be stocked with a strong zone/guest ready.

(2) Walk endcaps and make notes on fill needs or ones that might need to be flipped or replaced.

(3) Go to the backroom, get autofills/ truck freight, and start pushing.

(4) Backstock as you go, return the vehicle and retrieve the next.

(5) Once autofills/truck push is done, perform scans to fill. Then pull and push your freight.

(6) Finally, use the time left in your shift to complete price changes, set new salesplans and complete revisions.

That means giving them access to the banking funds for 20 lanes? If cashiers are going to essentially be almost a GSTL, better get to that $15/hr now because $12 or $13 isn't going to cut it.
It’s not that big of a deal. You’re just taking money out and putting money in. I work at a small format and that’s essentially what we do. We have no GSAs. We have one closing cashier and one closing gstm every night and they are responsible for banking the lanes. We bank everything at night so the opening gstm just grabs the change fund.

... except some of us have been doing it for the same pay since they eliminated the differential. I think cutting the differential was the first part of the process, looking back on the past year.

I mean, electronics TMs already pretty much can function without needing a GSA

Unfortunately, AEANTS = All Employees Are Not The Same. So, if a cashier needs change, or a guest needs to speak to a manager, or the cashier needs a new product brought to the front, etc...the list goes on and on. Also, the front end already has been depleted and will the backups be aware they are on their own?

I mean, electronics TMs already pretty much can function without needing a GSA
Agreed. And I say that as a GSA. This is honestly the first modernization move I've seen that makes sense to me. That said, the one thing that made me say "hmm" was @Frontlanegirl's observation about change, managers, etc. There's usually a Leader there to open the building. I guess they'll have to handle those early-bird difficult guests. At my store, certain well-qualified cashiers already know how to get change.

But, AEANTS. There are certainly cashiers I wouldn't want dipping their fingers into the change fund--not because of theft, but because of error potential. Still, I can see why it makes sense overall. May change my tune when it's implemented, but I can see it.

Last edited:
From what I gather about thus new modernization, I think there will be some issues at first and hopefully they will be ironed out over time. I also think that a lot of TM's will quit because they will be over stressed....we shall see. I was handed a card today that laid out the expectations of what a typical day would be like.

For example: (1) Come in and go directly to the area you own. Make sure it's ready to be stocked with a strong zone/guest ready.

(2) Walk endcaps and make notes on fill needs or ones that might need to be flipped or replaced.

(3) Go to the backroom, get autofills/ truck freight, and start pushing.

(4) Backstock as you go, return the vehicle and retrieve the next.

(5) Once autofills/truck push is done, perform scans to fill. Then pull and push your freight.

(6) Finally, use the time left in your shift to complete price changes, set new salesplans and complete revisions.
How many hours are you given daily?

Agreed. And I say that as a GSA. This is honestly the first modernization move I've seen that makes sense to me. That said, the one thing that made me say "hmm" was @Frontlanegirl's observation about change, managers, etc. There's usually a Leader there to open the building. I guess they'll have to handle those early-bird difficult guests. At my store, certain well-qualified cashiers already know how to get change.

But, AEANTS. There are certainly cashiers I wouldn't want dipping their fingers into the change fund--not because of theft, but because of error potential. Still, I can see why it makes sense overall. May change my tune when it's implemented, but I can see it.
Adding to this, who calls for guest first? who handles the keys?

Hmmm...I don't really like that. As OPU/DriveUp I rely heavily on my GSAs to help me coordinate when needed. Not having them is going to be a challenge in some respects. Cashiers aren't going to be able to help. If I'm on a pick and a driveup comes in, who is going to find someone to run it out? I need my GSAs for that amongst other things.

Hmmm...I don't really like that. As OPU/DriveUp I rely heavily on my GSAs to help me coordinate when needed. Not having them is going to be a challenge in some respects. Cashiers aren't going to be able to help. If I'm on a pick and a driveup comes in, who is going to find someone to run it out? I need my GSAs for that amongst other things.
Solved by having an order pickup TM scheduled.

Back